Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rhody roost trail ride in RI ?

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Rhody roost trail ride in RI ?

Anyone doing it
    Netra turkey run out of Putnam CT

I'd like too and have someone hold me to it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: Rhody roost trail ride in RI ?

hmm, looks like they have a short course (40mi vs 80mi) for unregistered bikes as well.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    hmm, looks like they have a short course (40mi vs 80mi) for unregistered bikes as well.
    I'll do the short one with you.....

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    I'll do the short one with you.....
    sounds good, i'll confirm but pretty sure i can make this. not far and would be fun.

Beta 200RR

sounds good, i'll confirm but pretty sure i can make this. not far and would be fun.
    Going to see if I can get the KDX200 to behave ( clean the KIPS ) carb already cleaned and mid gasket replaced( what little was left of it) ill start it

If not the Wr250f will be used.( need to address some minor issues like broken lever, brake light switch etc)
    might have a friend join us..... I'll be the lowman of the bunch

hmmmm......

I’m doing the hare scramble 101 course that Saturday but may have to double up for my first NETRA weekend.

How are the trails in turkey runs? Similar to HopEv single track loops?

Never raced or partaken in any organized dirt ride/race.

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    I’m doing the hare scramble 101 course that Saturday but may have to double up for my first NETRA weekend.

How are the trails in turkey runs? Similar to HopEv single track loops?

Never raced or partaken in any organized dirt ride/race.
    is that 101 that weekend too? hmmm maybe do both?

never did hop ev.

Ive never did organized anything. I'm just a hack riding a dirtbike.

Supposedly this is one of the "easier" more novice friendly.

Not a J day for sure.

It cant be harder than the PA trails I did which for some parts were just pure boulders/ baby heads on good occasion going down hill at a blue or even black daimond ski trail.

hmmmm......

Supposedly this is one of the "easier" more novice friendly.

Would this ride be a bad idea for someone who has never ridden in the dirt before? Picked up a dual sport the other day, and riding a pre-planned route sounded like a good idea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by audiojeff View Post
    Would this ride be a bad idea for someone who has never ridden in the dirt before? Picked up a dual sport the other day, and riding a pre-planned route sounded like a good idea to me.
    IDK.. but if you want to get out... LMK I'll take you
    Dont know what I"m doing. But I know how to dial 911. Pachaug in CT looks fun . I've been once.

hmmmm......

if it's cool to run my un-reg'd bike on the short course, i'm in. i asked for confirmation on the NETRA forum just to be sure.

as for first time and what are the trails are going to be like, i would assume the usual New England terrain, although a Turkey/DS run is a non-competitive 'trail ride' with all the benefits of a full course or event. route-sheet, arrowed, directional, etc. basically a fun run day if you want.

i looked back to see if anyone had covered this before and found some good info/feedback from gregp and jimmycap.

Beta 200RR

if it's cool to run my un-reg'd bike on the short course, i'm in. i asked for confirmation on the NETRA forum just to be sure.

as for first time and what are the trails are going to be like, i would assume the usual New England terrain, although a Turkey/DS run is a non-competitive 'trail ride' with all the benefits of a full course or event. route-sheet, arrowed, directional, etc. basically a fun run day if you want.

i looked back to see if anyone had covered this before and found some good info/feedback from gregp and jimmycap.
    just joined Netra.... waiting to get my # then I can pre register and hold myself to it.....
    I'll probably camp night before. ( diesel heater and pop up tent or in the SUV.

Hope to see some guys there. I'll work on the WR this Fri, get that settled, then the KDX, Might bring both. IDK

hmmmm......

only one way to find out! but joking aside, hard to say. how big is the dual sport, what kind of tires, and what's your overall bike experience? as a first-first timer in the dirt, it will be frustrating with so many new obstacles to conquer, especially if it's wet, but it comes down to how determined you are. the big plus is there will be support everywhere.

i would reach out to the trail bosses listed in the flyer jimmy posted above, they'll give you the straight dope on this years courses.

Beta 200RR

just joined Netra.... waiting to get my # then I can pre register and hold myself to it.....
    I'll probably camp night before. ( diesel heater and pop up tent or in the SUV.

Hope to see some guys there. I'll work on the WR this Fri, get that settled, then the KDX, Might bring both. IDK
    sweet! yeah, i'm thinking the same on camping the night before. it's not a far drive for me but makes things so much easier, more relaxed in the AM.

i don't think the Beta needs anything but fluids change, clutch plates, and a front tire. have yet to take it out of hibernation.

Beta 200RR

found some more prep info from a Rhody member over on ADV. it's an old post, but i think has some good, high-level info.

Tips for riding your first NETRA Turkey Run

EDIT: keep in mind that this is also a 'Dual Sport' run so most likely less 'enduro' in many places. only an assumption though.

Last edited by typeone; 04-03-24 at 08:14 AM.
    Beta 200RR

IDK.. but if you want to get out... LMK I'll take you
    Dont know what I"m doing. But I know how to dial 911. Pachaug in CT looks fun . I've been once.
    I might be interested as well at a leisure pace.

I have no idea of the difficulty of the course. I typically ride short loop (sometimes long loop) at Freetown, and have done the enduro loop at Pachaug. How do they compare with this course?

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

found some more prep info from a Rhody member over on ADV. it's an old post, but i think has some good, high-level info.

Tips for riding your first NETRA Turkey Run

EDIT: keep in mind that this is also a 'Dual Sport' run so most likely less 'enduro' in many places. only an assumption though.
    Usually the NETRA Dual sport rides are a mix of unpaved roads and unmaintained public roads, with optional “hero” sections for the enduro bikes. I haven’t ridden one in about 10 years tho, so that could have changed.

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Usually the NETRA Dual sport rides are a mix of unpaved roads and unmaintained public roads, with optional “hero” sections for the enduro bikes. I haven’t ridden one in about 10 years tho, so that could have changed.
    awesome, so we'll be seeing you for a refresh? i've only tagged along for one NETRA TR at Wrentham but we know those trails well and didn't leave the standard areas.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    I might be interested as well at a leisure pace.

I have no idea of the difficulty of the course. I typically ride short loop (sometimes long loop) at Freetown, and have done the enduro loop at Pachaug. How do they compare with this course?
    not sure.... but this is the first ride of year to me.... I'll be taking it easy/ leisure, I need to drive home in one piece. Never been to Freetown. I did parts of Pachaug, including a hiking trail by accident but Mt misery I heard is the hardest part but after some parts I did in PA I'm sure that was harder.

- - - Updated - - -

sweet! yeah, i'm thinking the same on camping the night before. it's not a far drive for me but makes things so much easier, more relaxed in the AM.

i don't think the Beta needs anything but fluids change, clutch plates, and a front tire. have yet to take it out of hibernation.
    I'll bring the scotch..... and the steaks to grill.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

I'll bring the scotch..... and the steaks to grill.
    aces . apparently i'll be camping Sun night as well

Beta 200RR

cant do the hare scramble 101 on sat. Doing a BMW autocross drive with a buddy
    https://udeboston.eventsbmw.com/?fbc...YlQRTX8_HBweoh

Netra talk on FB said i could just sign up day of, no issues.

KDX gasket set should be here tomorrow, need to clean the KIPS as I suspect its causing a stumble at top range of 1,2nd
    carbs have been cleaned, mid gasket replaced, reeds look good (OEM) Seems to be a 6 hr job?

WR, brake lever fixed, hand guards fixed, rear fender ziptied the giant break. Need to rewire a kill switch and turn signal wiring( I ride on street but never get it inspected) its registered, mainly a woods bike. Change the oil and then R&R the chain, maybe a new sprocket.

hmmmm......

cant do the hare scramble 101 on sat. Doing a BMW autocross drive with a buddy
    https://udeboston.eventsbmw.com/?fbc...YlQRTX8_HBweoh

Netra talk on FB said i could just sign up day of, no issues.

KDX gasket set should be here tomorrow, need to clean the KIPS as I suspect its causing a stumble at top range of 1,2nd
    carbs have been cleaned, mid gasket replaced, reeds look good (OEM) Seems to be a 6 hr job?

WR, brake lever fixed, hand guards fixed, rear fender ziptied the giant break. Need to rewire a kill switch and turn signal wiring( I ride on street but never get it inspected) its registered, mainly a woods bike. Change the oil and then R&R the chain, maybe a new sprocket.

Hey Another KDX owner here…..picked up a 2006 200 in the fall….redid the top end, KIPS, and have about 2hrs on it..just as we were thinking of getting back out in the woods this storm hits us.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

awesome, so we'll be seeing you for a refresh? i've only tagged along for one NETRA TR at Wrentham but we know those trails well and didn't leave the standard areas.
    I wish I could, but there’s only so much free time these days and I’ve been more focused on clearing and maintaining our trails recently. And also have been enjoying the sport quads a bit more recently. I just picked up a lightly used 5 year old Yamaha 450R and making it a rail machine.. lol I know, getting old!

Rhody roost trail ride in RI ?-img_7929-jpg

Yamaha

This could be a good excuse to get back on the bike after taking last year off.
    As long as unregistered bikes are allowed, I may join you guys.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Too many toys, not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    This could be a good excuse to get back on the bike after taking last year off.
    As long as unregistered bikes are allowed, I may join you guys.
    do it... show up sat night... eat drink.... next day ride.

worked on the WR a little bit more... Wondered why my turn signal etc headlights werent working. Looks like I sheared a wiring harness to the switch controlling them. Did a quick pig tail connect and they still dont work so I'll need some more time to figure out and use the test light and multimeter......
    Do I need "lights" headlight/ brake for the run on sunday " unregistered trail?
    Read the hare scramble book, doesnt seem to require front or rear lights, horn.
    Bike started up easy enough but..... only runs with choke on. Probably a pilot jet. I had drained the carb entirely and had used ethanol free gas too. Might try fresh gas. Idle was turned way up and didnt help even after warming up for 10 minutes.
    So another 2 hours to do that. and then bleed my front brake as it got some air in it last ride, due to a crash and it leaking.
    Then the KDX and worry about the wiring later....

Fun.

hmmmm......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast