Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

School me on user friendly dirtbike/motard stands

xxaarraa

Re: School me on user friendly dirtbike/motard stands

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post

Calling a DRZ400 a supermoto is like calling a YZR50 a superbike
    Yeah, a guy who was running a DRZ400 came up to me and was chatting about the SXV between sessions. He was saying his bike made 38 hp and he too had to drain the oil from a few different places. I thought to myself, "wtf bro, why would you put up with that shit for a 38 hp bike that looks like I made it?" I didn't say it of course

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Unfair. The SXV was more than just a big motor. By your own admission, the SXV brakes from 9 years ago are now an upgrade for 2015 motards.

The SXV was badly executed for other reasons. Like all things made in a small Italian factory by 20 odd guys eating pasta and drinking wine, it was a case of a design/concept that was WAY ahead of its time, just poorly built and then put into production. The Italian industrial design story is littered with similar examples. Ever heard of Abarth? Lancia? Alfa? Italian motorcycles are amazingly similar in story to Italian cars, and mostly consistent.

I had not, but I just did! Early 90s two strokes, early 80s CB650s, I can see you have unconventional taste. You of all people should then be able to appreciate the SXV for what it is! I'll PM you about a few of my old bikes - a 1974 Jawa Model 'B' and a 1991 Yamaha 'RX-100'

BTW, I found this action shot. I have to admit I pictured you subconsciously as one of... let's say... advanced age. You look a lot younger and decidedly wisdom-free in this photo.

That is sarcasm for folks that don't get it.

The brakes are a nice cheap option for motard builds, there are (and were) better options for absolute stopping power and modulation. They're also not a good plan for dirt heavy tracks. (See, target use creeping up here again...) Their primary saving grace right now is they're CHEAP. If you need a radial caliper in 100mm bolt spacing, you can find them used all over the place. Why is another discussion.

Aprilia I think would have been better off shrinking the motor down so it'd only support a 450cc build. If you're going after 450s for racing, and the rules cap you at 450, building a bigger motor than required is just extra space and weight that isn't helping your cause. From there it's still a tough sell unless you can somehow reign in the required maint without killing the bike's character.

I like the SXV, I researched them quite heavily for a bit as a potential mount for Loudon, had one I was eyeballing but I just couldn't get past some of the negatives.

For the record, I'm 37, FYI. I also thought I was flying in that pic. I still rock those leathers too!

Easy with the drz hate, it wheelies/hops off curbs and slides around just fine.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Ogio makes a drive through stand

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Ogio makes a drive through stand

that is cool.

Should be relevant to your interests:

Note, I'm all of 155lbs soaking wet and still being delicate with the bike. Normally I'd ride onto the stand, use the front brake to hold it however far forward I want and then step off onto the lever to lift. I also start it on the stand. In this instance I didn't push it as far forward as I could have either.

Last edited by Kurlon; 07-23-15 at 07:36 PM.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Should be relevant to your interests:

Note, I'm all of 155lbs soaking wet and still being delicate with the bike. Normally I'd ride onto the stand, use the front brake to hold it however far forward I want and then step off onto the lever to lift. I also start it on the stand. In this instance I didn't push it as far forward as I could have either.
    I am really liking the risk racing stand, thanks for the video. Seems like you do have to put your back into it to get the bike up on it though?

I contacted condor and sent them photos. They are going to get back to me on whether there is anything that can be done to make the UBS work with the SXV.

Fortunately my back isn't involved, I just have to put my weight into it with a lil authority. It's far easier in dirt trim, but that doesn't help you much.

On your Condor, if you're willing, take it apart, cut the uprights off at the top and re-drill the holes to mount the top plate. That'll shorten the assembly, giving you more leverage and less distance to have to lift.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Fortunately my back isn't involved, I just have to put my weight into it with a lil authority. It's far easier in dirt trim, but that doesn't help you much.

On your Condor, if you're willing, take it apart, cut the uprights off at the top and re-drill the holes to mount the top plate. That'll shorten the assembly, giving you more leverage and less distance to have to lift.

Yeah, that's precisely what I was thinking too. Interestingly, Condor used to make a height adjustable version of this stand and they said that the later model non-height adjustable ones (like the one I have) sit as tall as the tallest setting on the earlier height adjustable models. They said they have 2 units remaining of the height adjustable ones in their warehouse, and I asked if they would just sell me the adjustable straights off of those.

I'll see what they come back with, and if necessary, just cut off the straights and re-drill. However, shortening the straights will mean the back wheel doesn't roll onto the rear of the stand and provide a counter point for the stand while its lifting. I am not sure how I would overcome that problem. Maybe add a 2x4 or similar to "extend" the rear of the stand so that the back wheel of the bike has something to "bite" ?

Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-24-15 at 07:51 AM.

xxaarraa

OK guys, here's an update.

I have been working with Condor's tech support team and they have been stand-up guys. Sent them photos and they said that their older, adjustable stand set to a lower height might be the ticket for my situation. The adjustable ones aren't made anymore. They offered to "swap" my stand for an adjustable one they still have laying around. Swap in quotes because I am covering shipping both ways and paying a small handling fee. But considering I didn't buy the stand from Condor directly, I am grateful they are working with me.

New stand should be here next week, I will test that out and post back. I am hoping it works, since having one high quality stand that can be adjusted for all future dirt bikes / motards would be nice.

Probably be a lot less work to do some push ups and be able to put your shit on a $30 traditional dirt bike stand. I've seen ridah's with vaginas do it...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123