Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Seeking advice- MX bike

Seeking advice- MX bike

I have an 02 YZ125 set up for the woods by PK.
    I have done 99% trail riding but would like to get into some mx riding this year.
    So my question:
    Should I just deal with riding the woods YZ on the track?
    or
    Should I look into a separate mx bike altogether?
    or
    Should I look into getting a separate suspension for the YZ set up for mx that I can swap on and off?

Of course, as with most people, $$ is a concern and is limited.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Seeking advice- MX bike

I think you would get pretty sick of swapping the suspension. Try it on the MX track before you make any decisions.

I'd just ride it til it starts holding you back. That could easily be 2-3 seasons of regular track riding. I started at Crow Hill on my KDX and was clearing doubles and such without problems. Your bike is much better suited to the track than my KDX, so just go for it.

Paul_E_D

Sounds good.
    I'll try it out, it's only time on the track with me was Southwick last year and we all know how that turned out, lol.

Hoping to try Crowhill at least once before Stimilon if they open up early enough.

Ya I agree with them ^

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I'd just ride it til it starts holding you back. That could easily be 2-3 seasons of regular track riding. I started at Crow Hill on my KDX and was clearing doubles and such without problems. Your bike is much better suited to the track than my KDX, so just go for it.
    Solid advice there

Swapping parts to go riding sucks and it'll get old quick. Used to do that with SuperMoto and even tho it only took about 45 minutes, it was still a pain in the ass and kinda killed the desire to ride sometimes

Yamaha

+1 to these guys... you'll still have a great time at CH with soft suspension although the track is very different than Southwick. more defined jumps, no massive gravity drops, only one small section of sand.

we should do some practice with Paul out his way, that's the best place to ramp up for Stimilon for sure... uhh, if it ever STOPS SNOWING! my f'in yard is all white again

Beta 200RR

Wirelessly posted (TELECA-/2.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; EN-US; SAMSUNG; SPH-M810; Teleca/Q05A/INT) MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D
    Paul youve been on this bike. It was mine at one point.

It is set real soft for the woods. If youre going to ride it on a mx track I would at least turn in the clickers. Also remember its a 125 so youll really have to ride it hard to make the bigger stuff.

James

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

I did this with my Yahama Just set the clickers to the OEM specs in the manual for MX, and Soften them back for the woods It will be fine until you get fast. Then you will most likely want a better MX bike.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

I'll go with the adjusting clicker route. I seriously doubt I will ever be "fast" on a MX track.

I ran my woods valved YZ 125 at Crow hill this fall. I was able to get by with just adding 5 clicks of compression damping front and rear and a half turn of HS compression in back. It was ok, not perfect and not terrible. My biggest complaint was that the bike absorbed some energy from jump faces. That had me coming up short on the step-down jump a few times. It must have been quite a sight for people behind me watching me enter the deep sand crossed up with the rear wheel high from clipping the landing.

You should have kept that WR you bought!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post
    I did this with my Yahama Just set the clickers to the OEM specs in the manual for MX, and Soften them back for the woods It will be fine until you get fast. Then you will most likely want a better MX bike.

Whoa look who came out of the woodwork!

Good to see you are still alive.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

I have pretty much zero MX experience to provide riding insight, but owning x2 bikes (XR200R for woods, RM125 for MX) and seeing your concern that money is an issue, I also second what the other guys have said...just run the YZ. Getting an MX bike can be a lot of expense for very little use (unless you have a buddy that wants to ride with you too, and will put it to use).

[noob]

Q for the pro's: will running a softer suspension on an MX track run the risk of damaging the suspension?

if OP is a husky guy, will he bottom the suspension more easily and start twisting forks and bending wheels? I'm a little too big @ 138lbs on my short-travel XR200R, and hitting a big rock at WOT in 3rd gear at franklin definitely bottoms the hell out of the suspension. Sometimes I worry about hitting it too hard or too fast.

if damage is possible, OP: how much do you weigh?[/noob]

and if you're buying an MX bike, Paul ED's definitely is the best deal with the lowest risk around here

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-22-11 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I have pretty much zero MX experience to provide riding insight, but owning x2 bikes (XR200R for woods, RM125 for MX) and seeing your concern that money is an issue, I also second what the other guys have said...just run the YZ. Getting an MX bike can be a lot of expense for very little use (unless you have a buddy that wants to ride with you too, and will put it to use).

[noob]

Q for the pro's: will running a softer suspension on an MX track run the risk of damaging the suspension?

if OP is a husky guy, will he bottom the suspension more easily and start twisting forks and bending wheels? I'm a little too big @ 138lbs on my short-travel XR200R, and hitting a big rock at WOT in 3rd gear at franklin definitely bottoms the hell out of the suspension. Sometimes I worry about hitting it too hard or too fast.

if damage is possible, OP: how much do you weigh?[/noob]

and if you're buying an MX bike, Paul ED's definitely is the best deal with the lowest risk around here
    I highly doubt he will wreck anything internally. Especially at crowhill. I mean if you are a pro rider doing 100 ft. jumps on suspension that is too soft then your wheels, internals and/or bolts/axles might end up taking a thrashing.
    But overall, like mentioned previously, just up the compression on the forks/shock so it doesn't blow through the stroke so easily and the bike should ride fine.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Buy something MX specific.............. and I'll deal with the soft YZ suspension.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    Buy something MX specific.............. and I'll deal with the soft YZ suspension.
    Sure, no problem. lol.