Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

setting the float XR200R

setting the float XR200R

can someone help me set the float correctly on a 2000 XR200R?

symptoms:
    -bike leaks a drip of gas every 3-5 mins or so, making a damp puddle every morning
    -float must be improperly adjusted, right?

wrong...I changed the float height on the tang, and now the bike won't run without the choke...and somewhere in the middle I lost the small plastic circular seat, from the carb, I lost the other 2nd nut that secures it onto the cylinder...and after pulling the carb 3 times to adjust the tang, I forgot to put on the fuel line, turned on the gas, and spilled it all over the garage floor...then while rolling the bike past the car, the fork scraped against the plastic and left a nice long scratch in the bumper...FML

and after inspecting the carb more closely, I realized the leak was from the float bowl drain plug being loose, not the float being improperly set

so the factory spec is 12.5mm, +/- 0.5mm, but measuring that height to the bottom of the float (from the gasket surface) is clearly impossible because the floats just can't go that far up into the carbs

any advice?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: setting the float XR200R

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    any advice?
    Quit wrenching on shit.

Taken from another site:

The carbs must be placed or held at the correct angle to properly measure the float height. The correct angle is that where the floats are just resting on the float pin without compressing the float pin spring.

Measure the float height from the metal frame around the floats to the highest point on the float. If the line of sight makes it difficult to read the height for the center carbs with the ruler there is a special tool that permits a horizontal as well as vertical registration of the float height. Then you don't need a side view. You can set the height on the tool beforehand and then use it to check as you adjust by sliding it up and down over the float bowl and you don't need to horizontally eyeball it every time.

Last edited by butcher bergs; 09-24-09 at 03:53 PM. Reason: fix picture

Lifer

Check the condition of the needle and seat - the valve attached to the float. If they aren't sealing off when the float reaches it's upper point gas will continue to flow.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

I'm guessing you are not shutting off the fuel at night?
    You should be turning off the fuel valve on that bike or it will leak out while sitting.

well, as it turns out I was re-installing the floats upside down

a quick flip, a 12.5mm spec float height adjustment, and the bike is back to normal

and btw, if anyone needs any carb diagnosing/work done, let me know...I've learned a lot (from Eddie) and through trial and error!

Does this mean you are up for some riding this weekend or what?

absolutely!

saturday work 9-5, Sunday morning airport drop off + dirty gear pickup in Taunton

I'm probably going Sunday, late afternoon...

who's in?