Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

silicone hoses

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

silicone hoses

I put new silicone hoses on the 300. One of them is making contact with the expansion chamber on the exhaust. Should i be concerned about melting?
    Edit: according to the company these have a "working range or -60 - 260 degrees". I'm guessing the expansion chamber gets hotter than that.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SVRACER01; 05-30-17 at 08:04 PM.

Lifer

Re: silicone hoses

260F or C? Big difference. Probably F since I think that's the upper limit on most coolant temp gauges. Some silicone products are sold as oven safe, but I don't think all silicone is. I dunno what's typical for EGT's on a 2stroke dirtbike, but car EGT's are well beyond 260F.

Was the previous rubber hose touching too? I'd assume not.

nedirtriders.com

Cut a piece of the old one and wrap it and zip tie is what I did.....having a clearance issue that was the original culprit of a worn hose and dirt ate mine

how bad is the interference? if just resting on the pipe a bit, dent it in to create clearance. i've done this on multiple bikes in the past, works fine.

also agree wrapping the hose with a piece of inner tube or another hose (if not too thick) adds some nice protection. if you let the two rub together it will wear a hole.

Beta 200RR

EGTs run EXTREMELY high in 2 strokes. there is no valve train to absorb any of it.

Paul_E_D

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Forget about whether the hose can handle the temp and figure out and fix why they are touching in the first place. Pretty sure KTM didn't design it to have a hose resting on the exhaust pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Was the previous rubber hose touching too? I'd assume not.
    i dont recall. its all pretty tight through there. i also believe that the hoses may be a touch thicker than OEM

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    how bad is the interference? if just resting on the pipe a bit, dent it in to create clearance. i've done this on multiple bikes in the past, works fine.

also agree wrapping the hose with a piece of inner tube or another hose (if not too thick) adds some nice protection. if you let the two rub together it will wear a hole.
    its not pressing against it but its touching. id be concerned about wrapping the hose in another hose because it essentially just makes it even thicker and it will most definitely be pressing against the pipe then.
    i also will not be denting my brand new pipe for clearance lol

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Forget about whether the hose can handle the temp and figure out and fix why they are touching in the first place. Pretty sure KTM didn't design it to have a hose resting on the exhaust pipe.
    i think its a combination of a thicker material and the aftermarket world be "close enough".

im probably gonna try giving the hose a bit of twist to see if i can rotate it away from the pipe a bit.
    id take a pic but the camera on my phone has gone TU
    seems thats not my only issue either. i think my aftermarket radiators are a little thicker than stock as well. the hose that runs left to right around the head is getting pretty squished by the radiators into the head bolts. the radiators may also be a contributing factor to my hose/pipe interference. the spigot for that hose seems to be a little longer than OEM so i think its sending the hose down a little lower than originally designed.

seems im gonna have to stay after work a couple nights this week to square this away...hopefully.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

If it's high temp silicone that range could certainly be celsius

I use some silicone hose for the breather on my DR where it gets up to 300F+ and no hardening, melting or deformation

Exhausts get frigging hot but if it's within the operating range of the material it should be ok. Not saying it's best to just leave it but...

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    If it's high temp silicone that range could certainly be celsius
    thats a fair point. especially from an over seas company. 260C would be 500F

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    its not pressing against it but its touching. id be concerned about wrapping the hose in another hose because it essentially just makes it even thicker and it will most definitely be pressing against the pipe then.
    i also will not be denting my brand new pipe for clearance lol
    i meant something thin for extra abrasion protection. pipes can get pushed in pretty easy after a wreck.

on the dent, it's not a big deal depending on where the contact point is. here's one i did to clear the lower rad hose, they were touching before. brand new pipe, can't even tell it's not factory.

Beta 200RR

I wish you put this much effort into buying my trailer, Oxx.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I've got a couple precision, dyno tuned pipe adjustments on my sumo for oversized radiator clearance as well.

You can buy a precision adjustment tool at the hardware store:silicone hoses-317-4w-fygl-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I had a clearance issue w/ a silicone hose on a header on my V4 Honda. Had to rotate it out a bit, use a section of old hose and a hose clamp around it all. I then had the hose clamp (where the adjuster is) that was making contact with the pipe. I am sure the hose clamp got hot, but it stopped the hose melting underneath which had been occurring prior.

Also, that self-sealing coolant hose tape is the balls.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Also, that self-sealing coolant hose tape is the balls.
    Link and/or description? To the tape, not the balls.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice