Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Woods style MX track advice

Woods style MX track advice

I've been talking about it for a while, just never had the time and drive to actually do it (probably still don't, but I want to start on something).
    My idea was to use some of my existing trails, make them wider, create some berms in the sharper corners, and mound up over the rocks that are to big to move, no create jumps.
    I guess my questions for the track riders, how tight is to tight for the corners? What about length? I walked to the loop today that I want to do this on, it's about 2.5 miles..I'd have to cut some sections out because of the rocks, so I'm guessing I'll end up with 2 miles or so. Will something that length be overwhelming to maintain? I haven't track ridden in years, so I don't know/remember what the typical length was

Not looking for an SX style track, thinking about 6' wide and mostly follow the natural landscape in the woods, with a few added kickers to get things in the air.

Thanks for any advice

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Re: Woods style MX track advice

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Not looking for an SX style track, thinking about 6' wide and mostly follow the natural landscape in the woods, with a few added kickers to get things in the air.

talk to John Day!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

There's no such thing as too tight.
    Johnny day uses a skid steer to make his stuff, and basically does what you're talking about, in a roundabout sorta way.
    His berms get built up by 100's of bike blasting through there, though, something you won't really have, now probably want.
    Does this mean the 200 is staying?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Kitt made his from scratch up in VT. I'd reach out to him on where to start, what the initial problems were and such. You might be able to avoid some teething issues that way, since it seems like the tracks always need some fine tuning to get just right....

I like where this thread is going!!!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Wirelessly posted

I second talking to Kitt, his track is nice! But like chip said, nothing's really to tight although I prefer the flowy stuff myself

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I like where this thread is going!!!
    Not to California.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Not to California.
    fuck off ginger troll!!!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-02-14 at 12:34 PM.

You're right, we probably need a few "how do you guys put pills in bottles?" threads on the board, and pics of little air cooled bikes in the desert, which are in no way, shape, or form related to the topic on hand. I'll just stay out.

Too harsh? Normally I'm not that mean.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

don't like my posts??

easy - don't respond!

I don't care that I'll never ride R7's track...I just like the idea that he has his own land, and is building a backyard track, which is the dream. He also mentioned that he didn't have much time after house/dog and is selling the 200, which made me think he was getting out of dirt and sticking to occasional street rides. If he's asking about a woods style mx track, then it means he's still interested in it. To that I say fuck yeah, and I'd like to see where he goes with it. Has nothing to do with california...no shit.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-02-14 at 01:47 PM.

There's no such thing as too tight.
    Johnny day uses a skid steer to make his stuff, and basically does what you're talking about, in a roundabout sorta way.
    His berms get built up by 100's of bike blasting through there, though, something you won't really have, now probably want.
    Does this mean the 200 is staying?
    One thing I know for sure, a skid steer would be useless on my land..or at least until the rocks are removed.
    The switch backs in the trails I have now is what concerned me a bit at first, but the more I look it them, the removal of a few trees will make them not feel so tight.

Keeping the KTM, rode it last weekend for the first time in almost a year (pretty sad, isn't it?) and realized how much fun the bike is. Also added a more MX oriented 4 wheeled toy as well.

Woods style MX track advice-yfz2-jpg

Yamaha

Well, just blaze with the quad.
    I still think the skid steer would be an asset, even at your place.
    We gonna build this thing when it cools down? Fallish? I got two hands to lend. (If I know far enough in advance)

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

the 200 rocks! good choice!

Well, just blaze with the quad.
    I still think the skid steer would be an asset, even at your place.
    We gonna build this thing when it cools down? Fallish? I got two hands to lend. (If I know far enough in advance)
    I wish I could blaze it on the quad, but those rocks destroy quads at speed..haha

I've basically started already by cutting some trees, pulling some stumps, and pulling out some rocks in the existing wide (quad width) loop. I want to see if the layout flows some at speed before I go full bore.
    Anytime you're free, shoot me a message, really appreciate the offer to help out

Yamaha

It would have to be fall, but I'd be willing to ride down and do some manual labor.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

IF you can get me there and back (with equipment), I'll spend as long as necessary there with my 6k lb front end loader...... though I imagine a hoe with a thumb would be better suited.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

I'd volunteer labor too, if I can hang out and play a little as well.
    I can (barely) lift shit and (sometimes) follow instructions.

Wkat I have learned. 2 miles is way too much. Focus on half that distance and make it fun to ride. Give yourself options for an extension.

Wider is better. For a 6foot wide track, trees need to be cleared 12 feet wide. Once you start getting faster you'll know why.

Rocks need to be removed. Use them to build/fill jumps

Paul_E_D

One more thing Mark. Your layout is not going to be fun without some mods. Switchbacks need to be broken up with chicanes and eases.

Paul_E_D

i had fun the way it was if you want it to flow a little more, just work in some smoother esses with a few hops.

if you've ever ridden the back oval at Hodges, that shit flows like a mild woods track (MTB guys ride it a lot), a few mods to that style trail would be insane fun.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    It would have to be fall, but I'd be willing to ride down and do some manual labor.
    Awesome! I don't see this happening overnight..or even in couple months, so I'm sure there will be plenty to do well into the fall

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    IF you can get me there and back (with equipment), I'll spend as long as necessary there with my 6k lb front end loader...... though I imagine a hoe with a thumb would be better suited.
    Appreciate the offer, but I have no way to transport it back and forth. My little Kubota is surprisingly powerful for the size, I was pushing over 6" pine trees with it today

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'd volunteer labor too, if I can hang out and play a little as well.
    I can (barely) lift shit and (sometimes) follow instructions.
    Anyone that helps of course is welcomed to to ride anytime they want. If I did get to the point where I organized a work day, it'd probably be a work half day, ride the other half type thing just to make it fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Wkat I have learned. 2 miles is way too much. Focus on half that distance and make it fun to ride. Give yourself options for an extension.

Wider is better. For a 6foot wide track, trees need to be cleared 12 feet wide. Once you start getting faster you'll know why.

Rocks need to be removed. Use them to build/fill jumps
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    One more thing Mark. Your layout is not going to be fun without some mods. Switchbacks need to be broken up with chicanes and eases.
    This is the info I was kinda looking for, though cutting 12' wide isn't going to be an option. The mods to the current layout is what I think I need some help/ideas with

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    i had fun the way it was if you want it to flow a little more, just work in some smoother esses with a few hops.

if you've ever ridden the back oval at Hodges, that shit flows like a mild woods track (MTB guys ride it a lot), a few mods to that style trail would be insane fun.
    That's an option as well, just smooth things out and add some kickers. I agree, it's fun now for it's intended use.

I haven't been to Hodges in 3 or 4 years now, but I think I know the area you are talking about...down the main road from the parking area, and to the left? I guess heading in the direction of the dam?

Yamaha

way out by the dike in the back corner (if thinking about the area from the ORV parking area), there are a series of switchbacks that flow super well. gas/brake/gas/brake/gas/brake. so much fun.

Beta 200RR

I'm psyched to see you take a 180 on the Katoom Mark! I'd love to help out for a day.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

I'm in for a work session at casa de R7 at some point as well.

Some things I learned over the years is that burying things in jump faces or landings will always cause problems later on. Anything hard you bury in a jump as fill to speed up the process has to have at least 3 feet of dirt on top or it will vibrate and come up and loosen the top soil. Using logs and rocks to fill the center of a table is fine though. I also try to build jump faces the day before a rain storm. The rain locks the dirt particles together and packs the soil to keep it from mushing under your front wheel. I also have a few crazy math theories, but no real scientific data to back them up. I believe that for a jump to feel smooth, the length of the face must be a minimum of 1.5 times the wheelbase of your bike. (less than that tends to pull the front wheel down) I also believe that a jump landing is smoothest at 15~18 degrees and should never be steeper than 20 degrees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast