Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Southwick Motocross 338 Update 2014

Southwick Motocross 338 Update 2014

catching up on some news and ran into this...

Southwick, MA (January 10, 2014)

With the New Year brought the beginning of the new lease for Motocross 338 and the beginning of a new chapter in the long history of the legendary motocross track in Southwick Massachusetts. Michael Grondahl, the new lease holder, could finally begin moving forward on his quest to return the ‘Wick to its former glory as one of the premier motocross facilities in the country.

Mike began racing at the ‘Wick in 1979 with the NESC and earned his AMA Pro Motocross license in 1981. He has been passionately involved in the sport ever since. Mike was a talented motocross racer but it turns out he is a better businessman. He is the co-founder and former CEO of Planet Fitness, one of the partners of the GEICO Honda team as well as Alias MX and owns several businesses outside the motocross industry. His lifelong passion for motocross combined with his business success and acumen makes him a perfect steward to guide Motocross 338 into the future and develop it into a world-class facility.

With the change in lease holders, a number of minor issues were expected however it has also brought one unforeseen challenge. There have been a lot of rumors and speculation regarding the status of the track with many pronouncing Southwick DOA. That is simply not true. Near the end of 2013, it was discovered that about one acre of the pit area is on property owned by the school next door. That one acre completely blocks access to the pits.

The previous lease for Motocross 338 did not end until December 31st 2013, therefore Mike was unable to do any work on the track or facility, do anything to address the land issue or work with the NESC and NEMX to schedule races until after January 1st 2014. He has however, purchased several pieces of heavy equipment and has been working on putting together a team to reconfigure and rebuild the track, update the facilities and run the events.

On January 8th, Mike met with officials from the town of Southwick and the school. The meeting was generally positive and the school officials were very supportive of allowing Motocross 338 to lease the one acre of land to allow access to the pits.

In the past, due to the limited spectator parking available at the facility for the Southwick National, Motocross 338 partnered with the school which provided parking on school property for the event. It was a win-win for Motocross 338 and the school because there was plenty of temporary spectator parking for the National and it gave the school additional income for education. However the decision to enter into a long-term lease for the one acre of school property is ultimately up to the Southwick town officials.

The next meeting with town and school officials is set for January 27th. If the land issue is resolved at that meeting, work will begin as soon as the ink is dry on the land lease with the school.

The reality at this point is if an agreement is reached quickly, there will likely be time to hold a few races later in 2014. Since the scheduling of NESC and NEMX races could not wait for this issue to be resolved, it is hoped they will be able to fit at least one Southwick event into their 2014 schedules with a return to a normal schedule in 2015. If there are additional delays it is possible there won’t be any races until 2015.

Mike is optimistic an agreement will be reached with the town and is currently negotiating with another adjacent land owner to either enter into a long-term lease or to purchase 30 acres of land. If the deal comes to fruition there will be plenty of room for expansion of the facility. What this means for the future of Motocross 338 is with the additional 30 acres plus the continued partnership with the school for spectator parking, the sky is the limit. Among the goals Mike has set for 2015 and beyond is to restore Southwick to the NESC and NEMX schedules, bring the AMA National back to Southwick, host a round of the USGP and host the MXoN. In addition, he has many ideas to bring some big one-off motocross events to the iconic track.

Another status update will be released shortly after the January 27th meeting with Southwick officials.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Re: Southwick Motocross 338 Update 2014

I knew i should've run for selectman!

Besides the school lease issue, love the vision...nationals, mxdn, and usgp!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

This is great news! I raced in the vintage event in August on my CRF250R and a borrowed KDX200 and had a blast. I was hoping to do a similar event or yearly trip in the future. Glad to hear the outlook is so positive. Thanks for posting.

CCS/LRRS 130; JDay 77
    SeaCoast Sport Cycle | Dunlop | EBC Brakes | Vortex | Woodcraft | Armor Bodies

Wow, this is very encouraging! I hope everything works out.

I went to Southwick last year for the first time for the Nationals and it was such a cool experience. I was disappointed to hear that it would be the "last" National there, but hopefully it'll be back!

Great to hear people TRYING to keep the sport ALIVE!!!!!

Steve and Heather
    Motorcyclenight.com

Hopefully NESC and AMA come back to the wick. It was my toughest track to race on but one I would never want to miss a race on. Davey Coombs said back in August he'll re-evaluate it for a national. Some quotes of what he has posted on VitalMX re returning a national there.

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-R...1263975?page=2

DC wrote: Nothing to really elaborate on: but the national promoters that we knew and worked well with for many years were forced out, and that's never a good thing. They did a lot for the sport and the series.

We will see how things go with this new promoter and the Legion and revisit the idea down the road. I know Mike wants to do big things there, and I am sure he will get himself sorted and moving forward soon.

DC
    MX Sports

and a couple weeks ago he wrote (after being questioned by some VitalMX posters):

As far as Southwick foes, Ralph and Dianne were the only folks we really knew at MX 338, other than the recently-passed Clovis Goyette, and before that the late Ray Peebles and Bernie Yellin. I didn't speak to any of the new Legion officers until after the "last" Southwick National, but they did something good and very interesting after parting ways with Dianne and Ralph -- they found a good, smart, motocross-loving businessman in Mike Grondahl who I hope will turn that place back around, make the right alliances with the town, the legion and the local landowning neighbors, and ramp up some big races once again. But we had to announce a 2014 schedule based on what we knew, which was turbulence in Southwick, but also great promoters elsewhere, regional diversity and the chance at across-the-board growth and improvement. We met with Mike already briefly (and not in a business-like setting) at Loretta Lynn's and now that he's in charge, we will watch and cheer and be hopeful that he can calm the waters up there and get the place back into national-caliber shape.

Last edited by backinthesaddle; 01-26-14 at 09:30 PM.
    2013 ZX6R-636

i'm super excited for the future, i hope Mike's dream becomes reality (for us all)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

news from last week...

via Holeshot Radio interview - grooming to begin any day now, open for practice in mid-late July, 20 events planned this season, 20+ next season, working on getting the National back if at all possible

via Paul Buckley on FB

Just got off the phone with Mike Grondahl of Planet Fitness and Alias MX, the Town of Southwick has approved the track again and he's the new lease owner.

He has plans for open practices on a few Saturdays and then a Southwick Motocross Race Series. He knows New England doesn't need another racing organization but this late in the year everyone already has their schedules set.

He will be running the track in the old school direction with a right hand first turn.

It will be called The Wick 338 and they're working on a new web site now.

He's also working on some big races but nothing that he can announce just yet.

Stay tuned for more info, it's great to have The Wick back!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

That's great news to hear. After growing up in Southwick, I can't imagine the track not being there. It will be interesting to see what Mike can do for bringing the National and/or other big name races back.

just listened to the Holeshot Radio interview while working... didn't catch every detail but Mike also talked about a BMX SX track in the pit area. guess a BMX league approached him about it. how cool.

Beta 200RR

Sweet.

I'm going to have to make the trip down there for at least one of the practices. Love that track, especially going the old direction.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

i've never ridden it backwards but that would be a blast.

Beta 200RR

Great track. Would love to go back.

CCS/LRRS 130; JDay 77
    SeaCoast Sport Cycle | Dunlop | EBC Brakes | Vortex | Woodcraft | Armor Bodies

did my first ever MX "race" there

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: