Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Started screwing tonight

Talking Started screwing tonight

285 in the rear, now I gots to screw the front

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Re: Started screwing tonight

Originally posted by R7
    285 in the rear, now I gots to screw the front
    okayyyyy.....

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Started screwing tonight

If Idiotboy is successful with plating that 400 (he's getting close now), I may give it a go with the X. I'll be looking to put roadworthy studs on it though.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Started screwing tonight

Tell me those are not sport bike slippers under that table?

I have the screws left over fromn last year , now I just need some free time to put them in.

Hey does anyone think that putting loctite on the threads would help them from rippin out so soon?

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Started screwing tonight

Don't think Loctite will help. But with so many people screwing around, a stud gun might be worthwhile? I guess they're about $400?

http://www.trailrider.com/article_23.shtml

Started screwing tonight

Thing that sucks about studs is, don't you have to pre drill the holes, making it time consuming. On the other hand you could use diferent size studs depending on how you plan to use the tire.

These guys sell hand made studded tires

http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/tires.htm

my favorite line in the disclaimer about half way down the page.

" ride with in your capabilities, because stupid hurts"

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Started screwing tonight

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=266&page=2

Yes, you've got to pre-drill.

If I get a plate for the dirtbike, I'll be getting the studder, or throwing some $$ to that guy at Motorace for some premium heavy metal buns.

Started screwing tonight

You could make some of your money back on that tool,

open up

"Chris's house of studding "

you will either get some interested ice riders
    some farmers looking for inpregnation services
    or some sailors on land for leave looking for a good time.

seriously though if you did get that set up you could have a garage type party just let every one know what size studs to order and what size holes to pre drill then we could come over and stud them up for a small fee that would go toward the cost of the gun.

I'm sure you wouldn't be at a lose for customers.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Started screwing tonight

Gotta see how Idiotboy makes out with that street reg -- I'd like to get a plate and try a winter eduro. Hence, the need for friction spikes that would hold up, and be okay enough on the short road sections. For screwing around (ha!) on the ice, the screws work okay.

Started screwing tonight

Originally posted by theothersean
    Tell me those are not sport bike slippers under that table?

I have the screws left over fromn last year , now I just need some free time to put them in.

Hey does anyone think that putting loctite on the threads would help them from rippin out so soon
    Why yes, they are sportbike slippers... and they are nice and warm as well

A friend of mine used rubber glue last year when he studded his quad and they held up pretty good. Then again, I didn't use anything on mine last year and only lost a couple. I did have to tighten them after every day of riding but it was no big deal

Yamaha

Started screwing tonight

I screwed mine up today, and went for a rip around the corn field , I forgot how much work it is to keep the bike uppright in snow with ice crust on top. Definaltey felt good to get a 2 wheel fix though.

Leah took a few pics, I'll try to get them developed soon and post them.

I didn't use any loctite mostly because I didn't have anymore and didn't feel like going out to get any.

So anyone have ice yet?

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Started screwing tonight

Those look pretty freakin awsome, but I think I'm too lazy and have decided to pony up the money for some telleborg, or michelin studded tires.

I have researched opinions as to how long the do it youself studded tires last vs. buying a set OEM studded tires. It looks like the OEM studded tires win hands down.

Wayne-o

Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

Started screwing tonight

well hurry up already and get em .

I got an early christmas present , a portable propane heater, so I can bring the trailer when we go ice riding and have a place to warm up. Assuming that I clear my driveway enough so I can get the trailer back up it.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Started screwing tonight

Originally posted by theothersean

Leah took a few pics, I'll try to get them developed soon and post them.
    So anyone have ice yet?
    Yup.........................in my driveway. "get them developed soon"? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. What's that? Time ta update the camera ya think?

Wayne-o

Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Started screwing tonight

I forgot to mention that I've been looking into NETRA ice events and the home grown variety of studded tires aren't allowed

Wayne-o

Started screwing tonight

I have no interest in ice racing I just like to do it for fun, but the screws I bought are "ama " approved for ice racing . I am not sure if netra has their own set of rules, seperate from ama.

As for the camera, hey its been around a while and I don't really care if I break it while riding or skiing and I can get the film developed and get it on disk so I have real pics to look at and ones to post on the web , its the best of both I guess.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Started screwing tonight

Originally posted by Wayne-o
    I forgot to mention that I've been looking into NETRA ice events and the home grown variety of studded tires aren't allowed

Wayne-o
    You're going to enter a NETRA ice event? Sounds like it could be fun...is it a trail type thing or is it all on ice?
    Personally, I'd save the 400 clams and buy the screw in studs and ride Pachaug all winter

I may be waisting my time evening studding up the bike, I officially started working 7 days a week today and other than the 2 holidays coming up, doesn't look like much time off for the next couple months

Yamaha

Started screwing tonight

I guess on the bright side of things you'll be racking up some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ overtime.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Started screwing tonight

Originally posted by R7
    You're going to enter a NETRA ice event? Sounds like it could be fun...is it a trail type thing or is it all on ice?
    Personally, I'd save the 400 clams and buy the screw in studs and ride Pachaug all winter

I may be waisting my time evening studding up the bike, I officially started working 7 days a week today and other than the 2 holidays coming up, doesn't look like much time off for the next couple months
    That sucks. Was lookin forward ta ridin with ya. But the money has ta be good.

Wayne-0

Started screwing tonight

Yeah, the money is nice....unfortunatly most of it goes to taxes when it comes to overtime

It is helping the R6 fund though

Yamaha

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Started screwing tonight

Originally posted by Wayne-o

Wayne-o
    NETRA has the Snow Run, an enduro put on by the CT Ramblers Club in February. Screws are not allowed, but all studded tires are. If you are going to do this you will need a street legal bike, studded tires and a lot of prep. Most of the field will not finish due to poor prep, but it is great fun. I've never finished lower than fourth.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Started screwing tonight

here are those pics from the snow riding I did yesterday

http://photobucket.com/albums/a265/t.../?sc=1&multi=1

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Started screwing tonight

You looked a little cautious riding in the pics. Is it still a little greasy riding with the studs?

I'll have my tires on by next week.

Wayne-o

Started screwing tonight

There's a warming trend coming this way, figures just when the ice is starting to get thick around here On a possitive note, maybe the snow will melt at pachaug and we can go for a ride sometime
    Days start getting longer again tomorrow, that's the first sign of spring in my book

Yamaha

Started screwing tonight

Not so much that it is greasy, the studs give good traction, but while riding in snow of 6in or deeper its similar to riding in deep sand, the front wants to wash or go its own way and the rear wants to go its own way. You have to get up on the pegs and lean back a bit in hopes of lightening the front end, then your stearing inputs need to be small, and quick changes will most likely send you flying. You are basically along for the ride.

The other problem was that the front was breaking through an ice crust on top of the snow making it hard to steer.

But if you can find trails that are packed down by traffic of some sort and have become iced over you will get all sorts of traction.

The best is after a storm and the plows come by leaving a skim coat that ices over then we rip up and down the road. Although being out here in the country its easier to get away with than in a developed area.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast