Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stimilon Academy

Re: Stimilon Academy

Well, I'm home. THe track was not quite in rideable shape. THey have good drainage, but the amount of rain we got last night was intense. They apparently added some clay to the sand some years back, and it holds a lot of water as a result.

We did a trackwalk though and the place looks epic. Its all about the banked corner. A handful of tabletops and no doubles that I could see. My local practice spot is like a sub 1 minute replica of the place. Similar sand as well. Should be a riotous good time. I was bummed today, but can't wait to ride there.

BTW, there IS morning practice on saturday before the racing contrary to the rumors around here.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

woah, that was quick! more details... what time did the school start? how'd you guys do on the gate? will you be on a KTM for Sat?

sweet news about practice Sat AM! the weather is turning, hope we dont have issues due to severe thunderstorms.

when we riding your local spot?

EDIT: ah, bummer, i just reread the schedule. so no riding at all on the track due to conditions?

Last edited by typeone; 06-14-09 at 09:26 AM.
    Beta 200RR

The school was canceled. We only took a look around. We'll be attending the school July 20th instead.

I'll be trying to practice locally as soon as the friggin sun comes out. I'm sure there's a bunch of standing water.

Oh yeah, My KTM will be ready for sat.

Paul_E_D

thats a bummer, i know you guys were looking forward to it. if theres any slots, i'll probably sign up and attend with you guys for the 20th.

did they mention any potential for Stimilon postponement if the water keeps falling out of the sky? i figured its MX so rain or shine we run (?)

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Oh yeah, My KTM will be ready for sat.

Beta 200RR

It's wide open for the 20th. They fully expected to run today, but it just had rained so har, so fast that the track was goop. I'm not sure if I could have even made it around on the 125.

Paul_E_D

The school was rain or shine too, but the track would've been murder.
    "Feel free to go out and ride, but you will destroy your motorcycle".
    What a bummer...

Yeah - so there is practice, but I don't think much (I'd guess maybe 1 15 min session or 2 10 minutes). Track looks fun and tiring (to say the least). No scary jumps which was nice to see (as Paul mentioned, not even any doubles, more just rolling elevation changes).

Clinton - keep in touch about heading up Friday. Not sure what your plans are, but I'm definitely up for getting down there Friday night with tent, EZ-up, hibachi, etc.

There are still slots for the 7/20 postpone day. I think you would learn so damn much, that you'd kick yourself for not going. I told Deeto the same. Mark, put it on your calendar too! 5 of us would be like a personal track day.

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

man, def bummer but yeah, i'll plan to join you guys for the school next month. been wanting to do an MX school this season and never heard back from Robby at CH. Stimilon/338 would be even better!

will do regarding Friday plans, Justin. weather might suck so I need to eval the camping gear situation. think i'm pretty much set except for a new tarp. might grab a cheapo EZ-up as well. i'd rather just chill at the track Fri instead of hotel or early AM sat drive. i'll let you know by tomorrow...

gettin' pumped!

Last edited by typeone; 06-14-09 at 10:03 AM.
    Beta 200RR

that sucks guys. track is pretty big though huh? like i said, they don't really build up any jumps, it's more like rolling tables and gravity drop situations. justin i'm going to keep an open eye on the school next month. will be putting some road racing stuff up for sale shortly (yes, i am that hooked now), would like to be on a real mx bike soon, still deciding what though.
    did anyone actually try to ride?

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

ewwww...just looked at the weather which isn't pretty.
    But that could change obviously.

Don't worry about an EZUP. I'm sure Dave won't mind if I grab his. That way we can put our bikes and gear under 1, and our chairs/living space under the other.
    We'll set up a little village like we used to at Loudon.
    If it's going to rain, I maay think of hotelling it locally. Too many race weekends spent in the rain for me. Then you have a tent you need to clean, air dry later, etc., etc. We'll see.

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

I came pretty close to going out for some "sighting" laps. But then we got concerned that we'd try and make a turn and get swallowed in mud. The bike would tip, you'd be knee deep in gook, and spend and hour trying to "unsuction" your bike.

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

How you feeling today Mark? Were ya zonked yesterday or what??
    The bug has bitten - hahahaha
    So entirely different than roadracing, but still so entirely fun

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

Quote Originally Posted by JustInMass View Post

Don't worry about an EZUP. I'm sure Dave won't mind if I grab his. That way we can put our bikes and gear under 1, and our chairs/living space under the other.
    If it's going to rain, I maay think of hotelling it locally. Too many race weekends spent in the rain for me. Then you have a tent you need to clean, air dry later, etc., etc. We'll see.
    yeah, i know, sucks. i'll keep an eye on the forecast as well. i think my neighbor Chris would let me borrow his EZup too, i'll ask him.

Beta 200RR

I came pretty close to going out for some "sighting" laps. But then we got concerned that we'd try and make a turn and get swallowed in mud. The bike would tip, you'd be knee deep in gook, and spend and hour trying to "unsuction" your bike.
    oh the joy... sounds like my hare scramble days down south. MUCK.

cant believe my CR 125 lived after what i would do to it trying to get un-stuck. you just dont give a shit about anything when you're that exhausted. 2hr race to boot!

Beta 200RR

How you feeling today Mark? Were ya zonked yesterday or what??
    The bug has bitten - hahahaha
    So entirely different than roadracing, but still so entirely fun
    haha. actually, not too sore today. i can feel it, but i can live with it. last night was a blur, pure exhaustion. but in the end, i did it to myself. i tried to turn as many decent laps as i could, take a small break, and go back out. i got my $30 worth. the bug has bitten big time. i'll say that MX can't hold a candle to that very second when you grid up for a road race, but when you look at the big picture, MX far surpasses roadracing. after gas, yesterday costs me about $40 and I was still home in time to do whatever i needed to do around the house. all that on top of the fact, i probably got a better workout yesterday than anybody that hits the gym 5 days a week. like i said, the remainder of my street/roadrace stuff will be up for sale shortly. i'll be on a newer MX bike soon, just have to decide what i want.

Last edited by BMFR6; 06-14-09 at 12:52 PM.
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

I won't be riding obviously but I will be there to watch/support. I'll bring my ez-up as well in case we need some extra dry space/shade.

I'll be there w/ my trailer and ez-up.... can't wait... we gatta figure out a way to all pit together and stuff village style.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    I'll be there w/ my trailer and ez-up.... can't wait... we gatta figure out a way to all pit together and stuff village style.
    well, someone save me a spot. i can't get out there until Sat AM. If I try to get out there for Friday night, it will be Sat AM by the time I get there anyways so I'm going to grab a couple hours of sleep at home.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Justin, how you feeling for camping on Fri? the weather looks so iffy i cant decide if i want to say fuggit and set up camp or grab a hotel and stay dry.

sorry for the delay, cant make up my mind yet

Beta 200RR

Clinton and Justin, You can crash at my place Friday night. I'm like 35 minutes from southwick. We can register, set-up the bikes, and then cruise back for a dry night's sleep (couch/floor). I'm camping sat for sure.

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 06-16-09 at 08:25 AM.
    Paul_E_D

After speaking with the missus I was informed that we have a family meet-n-greet on Saturday. I tried to get out of it but Melissa's stinkeye told me there was no chance. I'm really bummed...

I hope you guys have fun! Someone please (please!) bring a video camera and record this epic event. A bunch of retired road racers racing mx for the first time on a track that most have ridden only once... this kind of thing needs to be recorded for posterity!

Good luck guys!

spes sibi quisque

LRRS AM #511 (retired)
    DNF Racing

thats a bummer, Dave. was wondering if you would be able to drop in and watch.

i think i've talked my friend, whos a photographer, into coming up to snap pics and video cant guarantee anything but i agree there will be some sights that should be recorded. hahaa

Paul, you got a PM coming.. .

Beta 200RR

ah, that sucks dave. you'll be missing out on some laughs!

tim (daytona440) will be up there with his camera as well.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12