Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 212131415161718192021222324252627282930313242 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

You sure?

It's from the oldie kdx's...Swingarm mounted...89-94 IIRC

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

amazing...

Drained what was left in the cooling system. Topped off. Fired right up. Behavior - sharp AF and ready to rock!

saw a bunch of vids of people riding in snow - want to stud up and get out there before it melts!!

Power washed it...did a sweet fishtail slide when I left the car wash station. Checked the torque on a few miscellaneous bolts. Rear axle - loose. Shifter - wobbly. Plastics - finger loose. Eek!

I am sick and tired of "extra pieces" on this bike. They ALL friggen fail.

This headlight, albeit bright, is broken forever.

This wire snapped out of the back

Luckily it was $12...but I'm done with this extra light stuff. I took it off today.

Going to try an H4 LED lamp in the baja designs housing...

$16 on amazon

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-24-17 at 10:39 PM.

MotoMinded and Enduro Tech make some killer LED lighting setups but they are not bargains

Beta 200RR

Those old smokers can back out bolts and brake aftermarket parts faster than a chopshop.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Those old smokers can back out bolts and brake aftermarket parts faster than a chopshop.
    I'm really curious to try one of the new counterbalanced KTM or Husky 300s... my wallet says NO.

Yup I really just need a routine...Tighten 'em all down before a ride

I finally swapped all the body fasteners to an 8mm head so I can use 1 wrench...Then carry a couple spares for the road

@typeone B design also has some good stuff...but on a '94 YZ I am unsure...Plus won't I smash those apart anyways?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-24-17 at 10:04 PM.

Got a ride Wednesday (possibly in some snow ) so quick shakedown run. Note: A street plate to allow this on a weekday, riding from home, rules Haven't taken her on a dirt ride in awhile, so vefore Wednesday I am gonna re-tighten axle, plastics, shifter, clutch/brake lever/kickstarter. Will bring full tank of gas, extra plug, wrench, master link, basic tools and tie down in case anything happens.

whoa...it is scary AF on wet roads!

took some getting used to, on both throttle and brakes...the rear was stupid easy to lock up (may adjust the engagement to later), and I was not confident in the front in case it locked, so I did my best to use both evenly

swung by the local dirty spot...first time in 2 years!

did some easy WOT sliding runs figuring the bike would be slow with a worn rear tire and all the muck...but NOPE.

The thing just hooked up and shot me forward!

Since it's been awhile, the pull on this bike feels downright terrifying!!

2-strrrroke

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-06-17 at 07:21 PM.

What's your Snapchat username?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

@cali2smoke

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-07-17 at 12:57 AM.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    You sure?

It's from the oldie kdx's...Swingarm mounted...89-94 IIRC

still have the kdx kickstand?

hmmmm......

Yes suh

friend came with an SV650 on knobbies! what a trooper!

so obviously this was not a shredder ride...I would get to 2nd/3rd, get ahead, then stop/wait. Sometime I'd take the black diamond sections while he did the greens and we'd merge at the next intersection...WHICH WAS FINE. On my first day back, I just wanted to make sure the bike runs, I don't get hurt, and I get home without any issue. There will be more days

so we stuck to the green/easy fire roads

it had just rained, so traction was good, and the dust was down. Mid week, meant less traffic on the trails.

Bike ran fine - crisp and smooth as before. Nothing fell off.

Do I wish I brought the DL?

HELL NO.

My friend actually had his front tire grab his radiator and yank it off the mounts. I'm sure the DL has better geometry and design for use off road, but it was just way easier (and more fun!) to be on the YZ

definitely cool to get out "the city" and head into the forests

all in all, a good day

Post ride, I parked the truck and rode the bike to the car wash. Plated bikes rule! On the way back I found the kid (okay, adult) that's been street mobbing on a mini bike. He tried as hard as he could to do a wheelie, so I did one right past him

AND MAN OH MAN. The drive home from a ride is half the fun - being on dirt just mellows me out/calms me down...I find a certain zen after a good dirt ride...I drive slowly, turn on silversun pickups/killers and just chill. So great!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-09-17 at 12:17 AM.

lower-income spanish neighborHood positive: they don't give a F about dirt bikes

heard the "ring, ding, ding" thinking my bike was being stolen - nope - 2 houses down the neighbor has an '05 YZ250 !!

I run over and grab mine and we do some street mobbin'

however, I did notice this

up until now, I did not care...but something about being on the DL changed my mind because my knees and handlebars were so close together

Got a vegas trip this weekend, but will likely be back on a ride in 2 weeks...plus with the longer days, I can start going after work

maybe some pro-taper hi-bend?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-20-17 at 05:12 PM.

Finally installed an H4 LED into Baja designs housing

Flickers a bit at idle, but battery is completely dead....Going to charge it once and hopefully fix that..IIRC having and LED and weekly riding was enough to keep the AA's charged.

After riding the DL, I finally can see how small the rider compartment is on this bike...She needs hi bend bars and maybe bar risers stat!

Also saw a few drips of coolant underneath after parking...

Maybe the overheating day did some damage, or maybe I overfilled it when I restarted riding...Only really been on one dirt ride

@Kurlon - any way for me to monitor for cooling system issues besides draining/measuring coolant level, drips under the bike, or pressure testing?

EdiT: ordered the bars in a KX hi bend (had the most height between CR/RM/YZ bends) and grips

Now... About those weekly rides...Just need the light to be out past 6 and I can go after work

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-07-17 at 07:20 PM.

Went back out to an "urban" local spot

area was dried up clay...super rutted and ripped up...would have absolutely hated it on the DL...but although bumpy, the YZ would wheelie over it. The fork re-valve made the front stiff AF, but the rear shock is still somewhat of a pogo stick. Need to send that off soon to get done.

but Lawdy lawd is dirt fun

Going to probably start riding more to the gym on my days off and going for a quickie dirt run after

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-07-17 at 09:02 PM.

well, the baja designs kit chewed up the H4 LED and spit it out

I saw the high beam indicator randomly come on...then suddenly I lost my tail/brake lights...crap.

Unplugged that POS headlight, and zing, all the indicator lights back on

back to incandescent for now...will likely get another LED light bar then and glue in the wire into the back

good news: this bike is loads of fun.

Took it to the same spot as the DL and did some laps and light jumps...it was great. Got some slide on...felt super confident.

Even after a month on the DL, I still want to keep the "plated dirtbike" + truck combo. I don't reckon I'd enjoy a 2 hour slab home after riding dirt for a few hours and muscling that DL.

It did spit some coolant, but I was revving it at a stop...as long as I'm coasting, off the pipe when I come to a stop, it doesn't spit out coolant. It's only coming from the overflow tube, so I really think I just over filled it.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-08-17 at 05:47 PM.

Put a coolant reservoir on it. Easy and cheap to do, will keep the cooling system much happier.

ya then you don't lose anything...but where do I mount it?

finally got my seat re-covered

$65 INSTALLED!!

SDG Innovations - MX Seats & Accessories

Walked in, talked to Jeff, then he told me I could wait and did my seat ON THE SPOT!

Very good experience with SDG!

And seat looks and feels great!

NEXT STOP: Pro-Taper KX high bend and grips!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-14-17 at 04:27 PM.

finally installed these bars

pro's:
    -definitely higher bend! I can feel it when sitting...way more aggressive
    -looks cooler
    -bar pad
    -black = modern looking

con's
    -still a little short when standing...I think the geometry of the '94 just has too small of a rider compartment. I may add some bar risers to see if it helps...
    -front left bar clamp bolt was a 12mm with an extra nut as a spacer...because it was stripped/tapped
    -with bar pad, lighting switch is wedged underneath & trailtech endurance a tight fit - I took it off
    -freakishly scared something is going to fall off since I took everything apart and put it back on - going to carry spare tools and check tightness on everything on the next ride
    -going to need new handguards - old ones were pretty thrashed (all by me)

edit 1: with daylight savings, the sun is setting nicely at a late 7pm = post work weekend rides are coming back!

edit 2: there's a poker run in the rain Saturday...may go on the YZ

edit 3: April 8th - D37 AMA Dual sport ride around Glen Helen!

edit 4: May 6th-7th - Yosemite dual sport ride!

AHHHHH SO MUCH GOOD RIDING I WANNA DO!!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-20-17 at 10:28 PM.

so I talked to Factory Connection again to understand what would get done on the shock:
    -same reasoning as the front -> everything in the 90's was sprung too soft
    -go up in the spring rate: by doing so, the shock won't bottom out as much, allowing it to be in the middle of its stroke as much as possible while it's working
    -revalve: this will offer the most difference in feel

result: a "soft MX/hardpack trails/beginner rider" package. Now the bike *can* do MX, but if mostly hard pack trails and it felt harsh, just crank back the clickers to reduce compression dampening. When riding MX, just dial them back up. When I rode this bike back-to-back against the YZ450F at an MX track, the rear definitely felt too soft on the 250. If I hit the whoops WOT, the back would compress too much, so the bike felt like it was "absorbing" the whoop instead of riding up/launching off the top. The 450F was the opposite: the bike felt "bigger", and I could be hard on the gas or just lazy/half throttle, and the rear wanted to lead the way. So easily, that it made it feel like I could do whoops in slow motion. Not sure a re-spring/re-valve will get me there on '94 tech and 46hp on a 2 stroke, but hopefully it will get me closer, and I don't ride much MX anyways. I'd like it planted when I'm on the pipe in the desert.

Going on a desert/trail ride tomorrow around Glen Helen...between this and Easter weekend, I'll finish out the "stock" shock, then pull it out and drop it off with FC for the final deal. GMD could have done it, but it's $370+shipping...FC is roughly $60 more, and I will just drop it off and pick it up myself. I like being able to get it myself.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-07-17 at 12:04 PM.

Dude the hills in the back looked steep AF...Glen Helen looked crazy!

And I didn't even ride it...Did the dual sport ride behind it...

Dual Sport ride was dope...100 mile loop...I went with a couple of the volunteers in the "slow group"...And I am glad I did because I was pooped after 37 miles of hardpack ruts and rocks. If I went with faster guys I would've been worn out, sloppy, and unsafe for sure. Pacing is pretty important in these 6+ hour rides (and yes...Somehow even with some fast, some slow, and stops, you average 15mph). This bike is just tougher to ride than a regular/newer dual sport...I get bounced all over the F'ing place through rock sections or hard packed uphill sections. You can't really tractor through rutted uphill sections either, you gotta stay pinned and hold momentum and stall.

Did lose a couple fasteners as expected (tank shroud and seat bolt)...And filling gas was doable but a bit of a PITA. Issue was - how much gas did I burn through when I finally got to the gas station? I assumed it was at least a gallon since we went 35+ miles per stop...So I added oil for one gallon and filled exactly 1 gallon of gas to get 32:1.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-10-17 at 01:19 AM.

so before my next big ride - re-fasten parts, new chain/sprockets, adjust shift lever, clean up bike, re-pack muffler, new seal on exhaust where mid pipe meets silencer, replacement LED headlight

start: Glen Helen parking lot

cool to see groups of dirt bikes at a traffic light

short ride down palm ave, then up 2N49

up and up...looking clear

and up...looking foggy overhead

then rode into the clouds

some GREAT conditions - good amount of clear/soft lines without any dust!

and many sections that weren't so nice...rocky and uphill

I'm not a class A rider, so I would've hated them on the DL650...but it was doable on the YZ250!

it was pretty foggy, damp, and cold up there...not sure if anyone disliked it, but I thought it was great!

Felt like I was in a movie!!

the soft/damp lines reminded of trail riding back on the rainy east coast

as we descended cleghorn road towards the 138, the fog cleared out

got on the 138 for a short connection

then back on to a forest road

public trails on a weekend - be weary of 2 way traffic!!

that connected us to Cleghorn ridge for some EPIC views of the 15 freeway!!!

(camera was off...was in awe of the views)

then back onto the 138-> pilot rock truck trail

we pass through pinnacles, then get flagged down by a group of side by sides...they found a rider + bike on the ground on the trail with a broken wrist!

rider - did not know who or where he was...we saw a GPS on the bike and checked the tracks - he was a ride4kids member

after some logistics discussion - the side-by-side guys offered to drive him to the fire station, while one member rode the rider's bike

I followed to make sure he got back safe

unfortunately there was no ranger at the shooting range, but luckily rescue 3 was still awaiting a pickup for a different injured rider, right off the 173

We flagged down the SxS's, who dropped off the rider, bike, and gear and paramedics were called to take away the 2 injured riders

a truck from the rescue team took the bikes to glen helen

I've been helped by many people I never even met, so I was glad to help...after making sure everyone was sorted, we slabbed the rim of the world road back to Glen Helen to pack up and go home

what an adventure, great day!

Can't wait to do another one!!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-10-17 at 01:18 AM.

Nice ride, I'd like to try that some time

got my bike and gear already loaded...going for a quickie ride after work today...

then a husky monument/desert ride the following Saturday...

@Paul_ED or @Ken or other flat-trackers -

which tires?

milestone MX has had a flat track for a year...$40 and you can run as many laps as your heart can handle...it's only an hour from me

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-15-17 at 10:49 AM.

But hella fun

Work until 5....Ride by 5:30....Done by 7:30

She is way overdue for a walk through...Lost some bolts, chain is loose, headlight needs a new bulb, and now rear turn signals about to fall off.

Going to see how much booze is involved for tonight...Then maybe after am gym session I can wrench tomorrow