Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313141516171819202122232425262728293031323343 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

got this

ride to the husky monument this Saturday...going to need a 70+ mile range

after the last dual sport ride, we rode 37 miles (in 2nd/3rd gear mostly) and I used up over a gallon...possibly 1.25 to 1.5...really hard to say when you're measure/dumping exactly enough oil for 1 gallon of gas in the tank...but at 1.5 gallons I'm getting around 25mpg; which makes my range roughly 85 miles on the desert tank. I've done way more (30+mpg) before, but that was mostly 5th gear so I was way more efficient.

With any back tracking or rescue mission work, I'm getting scary close to running out of gas in the middle of the desert

Going to bring an MSR fuel bottle with the holster...it only carries 1/4 gallon of gas/pre-mix (so now I'm at 94 miles total)...but at least I can siphon 1/4 gallon off a thumper with a big tank and just bring a little pre-mix to get me the rest of the way home

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-17-17 at 11:08 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

awesome journeys! i may have asked before but... ever think about switching to a Lectron carb for the added milage?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

thanks!

yes you have

but at $430+ for a carb...it's just lower on the list...the MSR bottle + holster was ~$45

next big things I want are:
    -complete motor overhaul (~$1,000)
    -WR gear installation (included with overhaul)
    -rear shock spring/re-valve (~$480)
    -new tires, chain, sprockets, WR swingarm w' kick stand
    -muffler re-pack
    -new plastics + graphics Baja Designs headlight

The motor overhaul is the most important, so the $$ goes there first...will have the shop

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-17-17 at 11:19 AM.

It was like squirt at your boot bad...Stops when the bike was off, takes a minute of running before it started again

Luckily I did find the hose clamp loose...Looks like it somehow wiggled up against the midpipe and vibrated loose

Gonna tighten her back up, wipe it down, drain/refill after the bike cools off and see if that's the fix

On the plus side, I can't say enough how much I like a plated bike...Using it lightly on off days helps you to keep an eye on things like this coming apart...and not on a desert ride. I know that "the book" says I should go through the entire bike after every ride, but I figure for a recreational trail rider like myself, I can go on several rides and just tweak things here and there before doing a major service.

edit 1: leak fixed!

also adjusted the chain and lubed it...bike actually feels "tighter" on the drive...it was THAT loose!

edit 2: every single seat, plastic, and radiator shroud bolt was loose...add that to the tightening routine!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-18-17 at 06:15 PM.

wicked pissa

usual start from Kramer Junction/US 395

wide open and smooth

turn...still smooth...easy riding stuff...love this way better than stoddard wells/barstow

views were stellar as always

with, the universal favorite - rocky uphill climbs!

when it's embedded/hardpack like that it's pretty easy, you just need momentum and ride over it...if it was loose and you don't have traction, you slide backwards

fast!

and some of my FAVORITE (on a light 2-stroke MX bike) - LOOSE SAND!!

whoops whoops whoops

and finally made it to the Husky Monument

then my bike blew up

time for a full motor rebuild!!

for instagram

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-24-17 at 12:34 AM.

Blew the top end?

Jetted right for the alt/weather/extended throttle?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Yeah, always ran fine...I was planning the whole top-to-bottom rebuild anyways, so I will just drop it at the shop and let them figure it out

Crank spins... Possible reasons may include overheating failure from all the times I have had cooling issues, too many hours on piston, spark plug tip failure...Who knows until the teardown

If I have time tomorrow I may start the cleaning and teardown myself...But nowadays I'd rather not loose parts or strip bolts on the way down.

Plans:
    -Case split, crank re-built
    -3 cylinders serviced - port each one differently (low/overall/top end power, maybe 265)
    -WR transmission installation into one motor (likely with low/mid ported cylinder)
    -2nd motor: split with crank build, top end/MX porting...Keep close ratio Transmission
    -WR swingarm installed with WR kickstand
    -shock resprung and valved to match forks
    -Baja designs headlight
    -New graphics on stock 2 gallon MX tank/shrouds

I will see if they cut me a price break to tear down 2 motors.

No independent mechanics

Going to a reputable shop...eta drop off Wednesday?

In a couple weeks I'll be able to tell you how my 292 setup feels...

Geebus!!

Honestly a 98+ motor would be way better...zoh well

No discount on 2 motors rebuilds...So just gonna do one now and maybe a 2nd one later

It is time

Talked to the shop...Staying on top of them this time to make sure this gets done

Gonna miss her while she's gone...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-26-17 at 03:19 PM.

Ok ok...Since you guys are dying to know

Remember when a radiator hose came loose and I lost coolant?

Yeah... Don't eyeball coolant...Just empty it all, measure and dump in case you don't add enough.

Measure, coolant? Fill, burp, fill, burp, fill, cap. It'll push a lil out the first couple of times till it finds the level it wants to be at, or you can setup a proper resi for extra insurance.

That pic makes me think you were lean as all hell.

why thank you, I have been working out

I just feel this void, or "hole" in my life

Dude, check that jetting!

Ouch.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    That pic makes me think you were lean as all hell.
    Ditto.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

called millennium

replate - $210ish
    re-port - $400ish

port options: low end, "broad band", and top end. They recommended "broad band power", which is less low, less high, just flat power all around since I told them it's mostly a trail/street bike and I'm putting a WR transmission into it

Kurlon/anyone question: IMHO stock, the '94 YZ250 bottom end is wheezy/anemic. Will a low end port make it fire hard and tractor more like a KTM EXC or a 99+ YZ250?

thinking about making this a low end cylinder, and re-plating the other one to stock...that way I can technically just run either. As much fun as it is to dive into a sandy desert berm, push down on the bars to the left, get up on the tank, and just wail on the beautiful sex that is an MX tuned "on the pipe", it only makes up 5-10% of my riding. I will try low end for 1-2 years and see if I like it.

other updates:
    -ordered the Rad Valve
    -NEW PLAN: do as much myself *outside* the motor - new chain/sprockets, new rear tire, new brake pads + bleed lines, new air filter, take rear shock to FC, new brake/clutch/shift levers, swap WR swing arm, new rear turn signals, install Acerbis fender brace.
    -called shop and discussed plan - I will take motor out myself - no carb, no reed valve. They will mail cylinder (and head?) to power seal just for a re-plating. After I re-install, I'll bring whole bike back for tuning
    -while digging through my YZ parts tote, I realized I actually have a total of 4 cylinders

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-01-17 at 01:33 PM.

Having next to zero seat time on a 99+ YZ250... dunno?

I've posted some stuff in other threads about wanting to get something to be able to join a couple buddies who are doing dual sport rides locally. Just skimmed all 23 pages in this thread, plus continual jaw droppage on how much "real" used dual sport bikes are going for (with 1982 technology, on most of em) and leaning back towards trying to scrape by just plating my 09 KTM 250xc. Prior owner had it registered in mass, so hopefully that works. I don't mind ponying up for light kit, even with signals, and a larger gas tank, but don't really wanna have all that stuff in for moto duty. Even the tires would suck for moto.

I dunno. Maybe easier to just buy a used xr or dr that's mostly depreciated, but in my mind it's paying good money for something that sucks everywhere. Seems to me to be very difficult, especially here in New England, to find something that can even be expected to make it through true New England single track, and not totally suck on the street. Looking thru this thread, it looks like desert riding is a hell of a lot closer to street duty, in terms of rpms, tires, fuel requirements, gearing, and pretty much everything bike-wise, than the huge chasm between pavement and the barely hike-able trails that we ride out this way. There's pavement, dirt roads, and paths a young mountain goat finds challenging. Very little middle ground. Makes it hard to find the right bike...

Last edited by Imbeek; 05-06-17 at 08:27 AM.

Unless you have an incredibly wide ratio transmission, a 2 stroke for street and New England woods duty would suck royally in one of those two areas.

That's why the big KTM thumpers are so hot. Can thump along at single track speeds and can also go ripping down the road without spinning to the moon.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Yeah if I settle for plating the 250xc, it will royally suck on the street, no doubt. And it's gonna cost me money just to make it worse for where I ride it most, moto. I don't even particularly like riding "true" single track any more, it's too freakin grueling...at least on the gnarly stuff around here that all the erzberg wannabe dudes i know seek out. Maybe I need to re-evaluate that; I've had a blast at three JDays, those were tough but not too grueling to be fun...(Southwick, crow hill, Huntington). It's the near-trials rim-bending bike-overheating take another route cuz this one is unmakeable today stuff that is accessible right from the back door of my house that gets me discouraged.

I dunno wtf I'm looking for. The dudes I wanna ride with...there's one pair who ride a vstrom and a brand new xl250L on dirt roads, mostly, and they are talking about long rides, like from here to Montreal on dirt. There's another group of more serious dudes, seems like most of them are straddling the "small and powerful enough for single track, barely passable on the street" line, who do organized dual sport rides, but they are mostly on small four strokes.

My opinion on what to get flips like a flag on a windy day. 950 adventure? Plate the 250xc? Beater xr650 for 1800? Beautiful xr650 for 4000? DRZ sumo for 4500? Every one has some drawback that seems like a deal breaker...

CRF250L like Roland has, he seems to do well enough riding that thing everywhere it's not intended to go, and then does distance on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    CRF250L like Roland has, he seems to do well enough riding that thing everywhere it's not intended to go, and then does distance on it.
    I misspoke above when I said friend had a new XL (do they even exist LOL?)...its the crf250l and I rode my buddy's last week when it had 12 miles since new and still smelled of factory paint burning off the muffler...not the slightest stirring in the loins for that. I guess maybe I should try it again with a different mindset. How much for one of those?

I'm not a new bike buyer, in general...I REALLY like buying bikes I can sell later for the same or more, so that throws another wrench into the works...that argues towards one of the bikes that haven't changed much over the years, like xr, dr, klx...plenty of them about there for under 3500 and flip able for the same.

Last edited by Imbeek; 05-06-17 at 10:42 AM.

@imbeek you've got a few different ideas floating around in your head, some of them require a specific tool for the job

first, watch this video to understand what I view as a "dual sport"

stunning video...great drone views

not a touring bike with knobbies, not a plated dirt bike, but a true dual sport

1.) riding from MA -> montreal off road - do NOT do it on a 2 stroke. You will need a second bike. With that large of a distance that will likely have many miles of slab, you want the biggest "dual sport" you can find - 950ADV/DR650/XR650L/KTM 690/KLR650...the KLR will be the best slab/mile eater, DR best off road. KTM is balls but money.

2.) most of my desert riding isn't really dual sport riding - it's mostly dirt road/trail riding. Average speed? 15mph. Always. Doesn't matter if we do 70mph on open sections or do 1st gear single track. I always average 15mph...so most of it is slower and 90% of it is off road, which is better for the bike. More rear wheel slip, more on/off throttle...high/low rpm's. Bike actually loves going 50mph on dirt, no problem. I do street ride here and there, but it's mostly in urban areas (usually under 50mph) with lots of start/stop, so I don't sit on the pipe at 50mph for a long time. I've done it before...20 miles each way at 65-75mph on the freeway....it felt like the motor was going to blow up the whole time. After the last rebuild top speed shrank from 80 to roughly 70. I want to make it better, and that's why @Iglu mentioned "super wide ratio transmission" - so I'm putting a WR transmission into the YZ cases. Hopefully will make it easier for everything I'm doing (mostly trail and street).

3.) the 80's design: yes, they are underpowered, heavy, ugly, and sprung like a pogo stick. BUT there's a certain balance of engineering that comes with those bikes (XT225, DRZ400, CRF250L). They are AWESOME for dual sporting. Too high power, high center of gravity, stiff suspension - that stuff sucks in the really knarly stuff on a dual sport ride. The super high performance on/off motors in an MX bike just suck when "cruising" on the freeway. The 80's air cooled pigs will do it all day.

Read Paul's ride report on "dirty in guatemala" and you may feel what that means.

But if you've tasted power, it's REALLY hard to go down to a bike like that. I can't stand the weight and tractor feel of a DRZ400 when I could be standing and skipping along the tops of the whoops through the desert.

4.) How much *can* you do with a plated XC? Go back 23 pages and read my adventures over the last 3 years. IMHO the plated smoker can be made to do a LOT. I can ride MX, trails, desert, sumo track, flat track, to the grocery store, and all the way to Vegas. All with one bike that only costs ~$1,200 to professionally rebuild. Try blowing up and fixing a 525exc. If you're actually using it off road like me, then the ONLY thing you can't do are long highway slab rides (I have a DL650 for that). I think you just can't beat the weight/power/performance of a real dirt bike off road. Just "tolerate" what you need to do on the road, and enjoy the rest.

The only show stopper is cost - if it's $1,500 to properly setup your bike, go buy a drz400/XR/xt

Do it

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-06-17 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    I misspoke above when I said friend had a new XL (do they even exist LOL?)...its the crf250l and I rode my buddy's last week when it had 12 miles since new and still smelled of factory paint burning off the muffler...not the slightest stirring in the loins for that.
    Honda was VERY liberal with the bland shaker when mixing up the CRF250L batter. That blandness is one of it's strengths though, like the CBR250R it's derived from, it's intended to run forever on unrefined goat farts and weasel squeezings. It may bore you to death, but it won't strand you cause you skipped every scheduled service for the past 10 years as long as you walk a can of oil by it occasionally.

They start at $5k new, a bit more for ABS. You can step up to the new 'Rally' version that has more suspension travel, better front brake, etc for $5.8k. As both bikes share the same DNA as the CBR250/CBR300 there is the option of hotting up the motor with OEM bits, and the aftermarket has a whole slug of options but doing so gets away from the cheap and reliable selling points of the bike.