Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 717181920212223242526272829303132333435363747 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

Xmas day with no work = test ride bike before desert run Thursday

getting a little more saddle time is helping me get more familiar with the bike again, but the WR gearing is still kinda wacky...I can't seem to find the "right" gear anymore...so mostly just 2nd/3rd

also, my rear shock is toast. It's so bouncy I can't track any of the darn power. 2018 will definitely include a mailing to PK (finally!)

Today: pull off tank, check all radiator hoses, engine bolts for tightness, tighten clutch perch, and double check all body fasteners before heading out to Husky Monument Wednesday. Need roughly 85ish miles...so going to bring a 1 gallon dromedary bag and fill the tank 30 miles into the ride.

miscellaneous urban street art

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-25-17 at 08:25 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

guess what has 2 thumbs and LOVED THE WIDE RATIO TRANSMISSION IN THE DESERT!

so great...it worked everywhere...being able to stretch her legs and cruise in 5th, mild throttle (mostly off the pipe), with 1 clip raised, on open sections also netted me 35mpg!

and I don't know what mad speed you go in 5th gear on the pipe on a dry lake bed, but it is way too fast for me and I don't want anything to do with it

I was afraid that in the rocky hill climbs (not super steep/long), I'd have an issue downshifting 3rd/2nd to stay in the power band...it was a little different, but honestly perfectly adequate. Having to make quick shifts in preparation for whoops or a sudden drop into a hill climb was no issue.

Went up US 395 to Kramer Junction, rode to the Husky Monument over some atv-wide desert roads, some trails, some hills, and some long sand wash section (4th gear is 'nuff!). Then went around some mountains and through some crazy rolling hills, into some smoother, flowing trails, onto smooth power lines and back to the truck. Probably covered 100 miles or so...

thought I had the major stuff sorted...now the front brakes are squeaking...pads are kinda okay, but looks like the system needs fresh pads and a bleed.

Also still need to mount the hour meter, measure compression, check the plug, re-pack the silencer, check all the hose clamps on the cooling system, and maybe take a peep at the piston to see how she's smokin.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-28-17 at 02:10 AM.

awesome! sunset pic is rad

Beta 200RR

the young kids and their cell phones just see filtered pics of actual sunsets...I am glad to see it with my own eyes

Took her out for street shake down run...still runs and doesn't leak, so that's a good thing

but I need a better way to monitor things...this bike gives no warning before blowing up. So I'm going to start checking the plug, inspect all the case joints/hose clamps for leaks, and maybe start measuring the compression from time to time.

soooooo...it's going to rain Monday/Tuesday...which *may* mean snow in the mountains...and Tuesday is the right day. Unfortunately I'm work Tuesday...so I may try to sneak out Wednesday AM and see if any of it hasn't melted. I checked the clearance on the tire, and there is barely 1/4-1/2" of clearance above the knobs...there is no way I can run a tapcon screw from the inside out! I may try fitting the 18" rim and see if it helps me out...I also have a smaller (45 vs 48) tooth sprocket on that rim, so I can move the rim back a bit.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-06-18 at 08:05 PM.

okay, I did it LOL...bring an extra pair of socks. MX boots are not waterproof. And yes, I was glad to come back to sunshine after

it wasn't really much of a "storm" compared to back home in Massachusetts...just roughly 6" or so...streets plowed/sanded/melting/clear within a day

but still, street traction seemed questionable...wet, hard knobbies on sand or slush seemed like a recipe for a quick trip to the pavement

one issue I had was finding a spot - the equivalent of a big, open, flat area covered in snow. Not much exists like that up here in the mountains, so I picked a fire road that led to a campsite and staged at the end.

to my surprise, it was already plowed/groomed the day before...so I wasn't cutting any fresh trails here

it was rideable, but the front tire was ALL OVER the place...forget about touching the front brake...and it would randomly steer in directions you wouldn't expect...and once it started sliding sideways (front AND rear) into the rut, steering and braking were gone, and you were on your way down...immediately. Arm pump galore, and I had a tough time finding a neutral balance point on the bike...I mostly sat with my head over the bars so I could wag the back around...1st/2nd gear max.

if I wanted to be more serious here, studding the front with long enough screws to stick the front (so likely tapcon screws) would be important on trails...not sure screws would do the trick (but I haven't tried...so I dunno)

melting snow meant many slush puddles...I rolled them slowly to keep me dry and keep from rutting up the trail

found a slightly larger area to fool around in

and went for the cut through fresh snow

this was thicker than the fresh east coast snow I remember...so it felt like riding through ridiculously thick sand. WOT 2nd gear on the pipe and moving slow...

I had a tough time keeping her upright when parked...what seemed like a firm surface soon turned soft and dumped the bike onto its side. Lucky for me, no controls broke, but I need metal wrap-around hand guards. Bike was tougher to start after the tip overs (which makes sense...bowl probably emptied) and I somehow ended up breaking the strap on my headlight...so I zip tied her up and headed back.

exclusively from a comfort/fun standpoint (cost excluded) - I would have preferred to be on 4 wheels

Oh well...got it out of my system...the YZ has officially seen snow.

Back to the sun...maybe surf before dinner?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-10-18 at 09:06 PM.

got a desert ride Sunday...so I took her for a 40 mile street ride to warm things up...pavement rides also highlight issues that are typically hidden in the bumpidy bump bump of a dirt ride

1.) holy crap my rear shock IS DONE. On average street pavement bumps, it'll bounce 4-6 times like a pogo stick! This needs to be addressed asap
    2.) engine noise - what is that slightly louder, momentary "tap tap tap" when I'm slowing down for a light? I am always afraid something's going to explode! I will at least check the plug or pull off the head and take a peep.
    3.) rear wheel needs to get trued and balanced - what a racket back there above 40ishmph
    4.) replace front pads + bleed brakes before Sunday - forgot to do this after the last ride
    5.) lost a seat bolt...usual 2 stroke ejection
    6.) WR transmission is awesome for dual sporting - 5th gear/OD doesn't get on the pipe until 55ish mph. Surface streets? no problem! Even cruising 60-70 on freeway was doable, and I even passed a slow corolla LOL. But damn was it sketchy AF to go that fast...front bars felt like they wanted to go into a tank slapper at any moment. Maybe it's time to Iglu this bike and go all balls...balls...balls...balls.

Doing this reminded me that I need to ride her more often...even if it's just to get a quart of milk. When I do, she'll tell me what's going on and I can keep an eye on things (if not just remember what needs to get done). Make it a weekly thing...heck, make it and every day off thing (even if I'm not going to dirt). Besides, isn't the point of a plated bike to ride it more than 3-4 times/year?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-05-18 at 03:07 AM.

the good thing about an older bike, is that it's been tried and tested...all the mods have been figured out!

the bad news about an older bike, is that it's been tried and tested...all the mods have been figured out

http://www.eric-gorr.com/files/pdfs/...ips_yamaha.pdf

^^Re-read Eric Gorr's guide

so itchy to try new things

1.) linkage - apparently the stock linkage sucks. It has a "high rising rate ratio" which makes it handle harshly out of turns. Solution is a DeVol linkage which changes the linkage ratio curve to be more linear. Eliminates the "Yamahop". Do I need this? no. Do I know what Yamahop is? no. Do I want it? Yes - I emailed DeVol because it's not on their website anymore.
    2.) carb - the mikuni carb on 93-94 models were jetted too lean - up the main to a 400 or throw on a 95+ keihin carb. Does my carb work? Yes. Do I need a Keihin? probably not. Is my ebay auto-search on for a 95-96 YZ250 Keihin carb? yes. Should I try a 400 main on the Mikuni first to see if it allows for more juice up top? probably. Should I do what Kurlon did and get a Lectron? maybe.
    3.) flywheel weight - The YZ power delivery for this gen is known to have a super heavy midrange hit, then fall flat on top. Getting a flywheel weight has outstanding reviews on thumpetalk; this is a tried and true method to make an "MX -> trails" bike more tractable in the low to mid range. Mine is used on trails and street, how could I not benefit?
    4.) cylinder - The last 3 times have been stock cylinders...weak low end, wacky strong midrange, flat up top. I've talked to millennium about a ported, all-around cylinder...and I have a spare, sitting in a box in my closet. Do I need it? nope. Do I want to mail it now so that I have the ported cylinder on hand? yes.

I should really, really stop reading things online...Just ride/maintain the damn thing and finish mods I have the parts for at home. Have PK do the rear shock. Swap the front pads and bleed the brakes. Install the 13t front sprocket. Add the WR swingarm to get a kickstand and run an 18" rear tire. Try the stock tank instead of the bulky IMS.

but it's so...damn...interesting...to me

I keep staring at the horizon thinking "how about...that?"

Desert ride Sunday

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-07-18 at 03:29 PM.

So... good luck on finding a linkage. I've been on the look out for years.

Carb - I changed 'cause my Mikuni was physically worn out, there was no 'dialing it in' any more, it just randomly ran fat or lean based on whim. I like my smartcarb, but if your machine is behaving I'd lean towards not touching it. As far as monkeying with the jetting any suggestions go out the window once you change pipes, porting, etc so I'd adjust as your bike demands and not just go to a jet number listed in a book.

Flywheel - Our machines have a relatively heavy flywheel compared to modern machines to begin with. Do you have issues with it being too 'spicy' on bottom now?

nope, nope, and nope...I just read all those on the intarwebs, so shouldn't they be true?

I do feel like I'm all over the place on hardpacky super rocky stuff...people have a grand ole' time riding near me when following...I figured all 2 strokes were bouncy, but secretly hoping a linkage would sort that. I emailed DeVol but they said they haven't made that linkage in years

If I'm *really* motivated, I can swap 04+ forks/swingarm per this thread here and get the option of a bigger front brake, improved linkage, blah blah blah

But I'm not motivated...and I got PK to look into a shock spring/re-valve...so that should be enough.

in the mean time, I *really* just need to focus on the here and now

^^rest on passenger peg and tie up in 2 spots

took it to 3 shops before someone was able to work on it...

1.) replace standard tube with ultra heavy duty bridgestone tube + balance wheel the best they can (btw - I accidentally bought the off-road only MotoZ )
    2.) swap front brake pads + bleed brakes - they fade on steep/rocky hills in the desert pretty badly
    3.) swap 14t down to 13t front sprocket
    *****ride tomorrow****
    4.) pack up and mail my shock to PK for a re-spring, valve, and service

I have a bunch of other things I want to do, but I will start there

and the internet isn't so great...I put in the Rad Valve and honestly, I hardly noticed a difference

edit:

pre-ride - pulled off the exhaust to install the new gasket/rubber o-ring, and the piston looked good from up front

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-13-18 at 12:53 PM.

I may be open to parting out my 92 depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. I've got a complete 2009 YZ450 front end on my machine, complete with modded triples that hit the OEM steering stops... Bolt up, and I've got both an OEM and BIIIIIIG brake setup.

nope nope nope

well...maybe

Edit: front brakes were squeaking/fading on last ride during gnarly down hills...pulled caliper off, and old pads looked fine okay not risking another sketchy descent, I swapped the pads, bled the line (fluid looked fine ). Test ride showed appropriate operation. We'll find out tomorrow for sure.

Added the missing exhaust bracket, replaced the midpipe rubber seal and gasket against the cylinder. Went around the bike and checked all the fasteners...one seat bolt gone (replaced with OEM Yamaha), all fasteners snug, but not tight. Clutch perch and lever bolt we're both on the verge of falling off...ha! Found it in advance.

Balanced wheel felt okay around town, but we will see at speed tomorrow. Gassing up, loading gear/ramps/snacks tonight except for bike... leaving 5:30am

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-10-18 at 10:35 PM.

fun day in the desert Sunday!!

my shock is done done done...I can bottom it out by hand LOL

it rides like a pogo stick...boing..oing...oing..oing...oing. Pulling it out this week.

as for the rest of the bike - after the one time it overheated and blew up, I'm super paranoid about an explosion...every new noise/behavior/etc. I sketch out and go home.

About 65 miles in, we went to a gas station, I added a gallon, added oil, and shook the bike...within a few mins, she started to "waaaah" instead of rev up under WOT. I called it and we took the powerline back to the truck...but she started to rev out again without any issues. my friend said the bike smoked a bit more at first, then stopped after awhile...I'm guessing the oil collected on the petcock when I added it at the gas station? does that happen?

oh well...better back home rather than hiking out of the desert.

but otherwise, only lost 1 bolt that holds on the radiator shroud and the gas cap vent hose...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-13-18 at 02:09 PM.

I've been warned about oil going right to the petcock then bowl and leaning out the bike when mixing at a gas station so I always make sure to turn it off first, add gas, oil and then shake violently. I don't turn it on till I'm ready to kick and go.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I've been warned about oil going right to the petcock then bowl and leaning out the bike when mixing at a gas station so I always make sure to turn it off first, add gas, oil and then shake violently. I don't turn it on till I'm ready to kick and go.
    I did this and still fouled a plug every time when riding in West Virginia. Kates thought I was an idiot and mixed it for me at a gas station... Fouled a plug instantly.

From some reading I've done after that crap happened... Apparently castor oils don't like to mix well. I'll be switching after I finish off what I have left.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I didn't know anyone was still playing with bean oil.

Lifer

Switching to? A synthetic? I was using Maxim Super M and had no problems at all.

That Tusk street kit is pretty sweet. I like the slim tail and the handguard signals. May have to use some of those bits when I finally get around to streeting my WR450.

Did you ever switch to one of those radiator caps with a built-in temperature gauge?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lifer

Me? Nope. Just continue to throw the bike on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Switching to? A synthetic? I was using Maxim Super M and had no problems at all.

That Tusk street kit is pretty sweet. I like the slim tail and the handguard signals. May have to use some of those bits when I finally get around to streeting my WR450.
    Haven't exactly figured that part out yet honestly. Might go with yamalube 2-r.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Haven't exactly figured that part out yet honestly. Might go with yamalube 2-r.
    The problem with 2R is it's not as easy to get your hands on as say, Bel-Ray H1R or Amsoil's various options. I've been happy with 2R in my sumo, H1R has worked well in my KTM?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    The problem with 2R is it's not as easy to get your hands on as say, Bel-Ray H1R or Amsoil's various options. I've been happy with 2R in my sumo, H1R has worked well in my KTM?
    I'll have to go into bjz and see what they stock.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Figure out what you want to use and buy/order a case or two from your local go to dealer. It's not like 2 stroke oil goes bad sitting in a sealed bottle on a shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Did you ever switch to one of those radiator caps with a built-in temperature gauge?
    Negative...I didn't want to chance a new cap on a desert ride without taking it around town first and heat cycling the radiator system first to make sure the cap didn't leak

Bike is currently at a shed a town over from where I am staying...will head over there shortly to pull out the shock and mail it out...but got a couple pending rides coming up so may ride first and mail it out later.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-02-18 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Figure out what you want to use and buy/order a case or two from your local go to dealer. It's not like 2 stroke oil goes bad sitting in a sealed bottle on a shelf.
    Truth. Realistically I'll probably make it most of the season with that I already have...