Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 15252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

You'd also want the shock, or plan on a revalve to match the altered linkage ratio remember.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Agreed, a lot of steps for an old gal, but maybe worth working in if I can find one...this bike is transitioning to pseudo resto novelty bike side project...I will work on it a little bit at a time as I find another thumper for main dual sport duty.

@joel - the Craigslist guy was not selling the linkage separately- it was on a bike he was selling

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    @joel - the Craigslist guy was not selling the linkage separately- it was on a bike he was selling
    Buy the whole bike and do the same process LOL. You'd wind up with the linkage

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

maybe

First dirty bastards post of 2020!

Happy New Year all...hoping for a great year of damp soft dirt

Sliding into 2020 like...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-01-20 at 05:42 PM.

so while searching a replacement for the FE350, I was going crazy not getting a fix and decided to do a little YZ on the side. No major rides planned for now, so cleaning this up will keep me involved.

I'm due for a top end simply because I never put on an hour meter, but then again...

(the spare)

Never tried a ported cylinder

& this 4JX-series cylinder is complete w' exhaust valve assembly

is there any benefit to sending *everything*?

is there any extra machining or clearances they match up or mate when doing a port and re-plate?

from their order form, you can get:
    -power valve: disassembly, cleaning, reconditioning, timing $83.95
    -head mod/repair: $83.95
    -repair bore, port, and plate: $509.95

also saw this on the bay of fleas: clean AsF

maybe pickup that head, mail it w' the cylinder & have them assess what needs to get fixed. Then I'd have a *complete* spare top end w' extra head & power valve bits.

was also thinking about this for 2020:
    -dropping front sprocket down to 13t from 15t
    -ID the skid plate & buy new hardware
    -Cycra probend
    -CRF250x style taillight on TOP of the fender w' the plate angled
    -new swingarm bearings & linkage bearings; convert to WR250 swing arm for kick stand
    -new front brake line (original one has jacket wear from headlight) - was not able to locate on OEM parts fiche though
    -hand clean everything, maybe put a layer of POR15 on the lower parts of the frame
    -new headlight/plastics
    -new graphics w' vintage yamaha checkered blue to throwback to the '95 model year

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-06-20 at 07:22 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

just called millennium:

1.) sending the exhaust valve parts is JUST a disassemble/cleaning process - no machining is made towards its fitment/operation
    2.) ordered the cylinder head from ebay - when that comes, I'll send that w' the cylinder

I've ridden this bike so long w' the stock porting/MX setup, that I almost forgot you can make a bike like this easier to ride for trails:
    -low/midrange porting
    -flywheel weight
    -sprocket changes

the more I think about the design of the FE350 being easier to ride, part of me wondered can I just tweak the YZ250 to be a little easier for the trail, so I can have both excitement, more control, and less fatigue?

with my noob skillset, the FE would have been WAY easier to ride up these sections:

one option for 2020 is try a more trail biased setup on the YZ...maybe even get the steering head bearings done

I also got in touch w' motocutz MX...it's time for some new plastics, graphics, headlight/taillight

going for the classic '95 YZ250 yamaha blue

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-10-20 at 02:04 PM.

You only need to send the valve in if going for an overbore, then the valve needs to be cut to match. For porting on a stock bore no additional clearancing of the valve needs to be done.

After that whole boring bike fiasco, you are going to tune this one down?! I'm lost.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

@paul - my head is all over the place at this point...the FE350 was supposed to be the one...and while it had its merits, thinking about it more, I was largely disappointed by the smiles/dollar ratio. It was just not very exciting for what you pay. I will, however give it credit that that it was easier to ride in the more difficult/technical sections. On the other end of spectrum, the YZ is quite wide eye exciting at 1/10th the price, but it's not as better suited for desert/trail riding as any modern enduro dual sport and difficult to corral if you're not in tune with the power. So as I search for a different 4 stroke to try out, I thought I could apply some of the FE's merits to the YZ, to determine if that may be my happy balance for this year. Not trying to eliminate the YZ's excitement, just trying improve some of its capability in the kind of riding I'm doing. I could be trying to use a torx bit as an allen key, I could be adding lipstick to a pig. I just don't know anymore. If you find my head, please mail it to me.

@kurlon - gotcha - no interest in the overbore. Stock bore + porting. One thing that kinda stinks about the YZ design over the '98 RM125 design is that exhaust valve opening is not adjustable. On the RM you could twist a spring so that it opens earlier or later for either more torque middle rpm range (by increasing the spring tension so it opens later), or an earlier hit (by decreasing the spring tension so it opens earlier). Was kind of wondering if there was any machining process that could change how it operates. for what it's worth, I would also hate the Rubicon. Go buy another highlander.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-10-20 at 03:23 PM.

You can play with the governor behind the clutch cover. Depending on the year there is a four ball and five ball version IIRC. For small changes just play with the spring tension in the governor you have. That said, on our gen YZ the exhaust valve is not really making THAT much of a change to begin with compared to the far more complicated setups on other bikes.

yes, I had read about the 4 ball vs. 5 ball in EG's 2 stroke rebuilding guide...I may play around with that to see if it makes a difference...but you're right, it mostly does not. Heck I didn't even notice much of a difference going from stock reed valve to the rad valve

on the plus side, I just found this chilling in my closet

this'll get mailed w' the cylinder that just came off

so yeah, I've got a lot of spares...

need to start trashing old plastics, motor parts, shocks, etc.

@kurlon - I'm likely going to let go of that spare bottom end/cases/crank - just cover shipping, ya want it?

Have I ever turned down parts for my horde?!

Any issues getting a 2020 KTM 150 xc-w TPI registered and inspected in Ma. I'm getting the enduro kit from sicassracing.com to bring it up snuff.

Last edited by Wayne-o; 01-12-20 at 03:51 PM.
    Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne-o View Post
    Any issues getting a 2020 KTM 150 xc-w TPI registered and inspected in Ma. I'm getting the enduro kit from sicassracing.com to bring it up snuff.
    Registered, no, insured and inspected, possible hassles in MA. Even though the VIN has enough digits, when the insurance co runs it, it will not be in their database. Some will take a hard pass on insuring it. others will do it. cost will be higher than it should.

Inspectors will know that a new 2 stroke is technically not kosher even though you have a reg. Some might do it, but it's getting harder to find anyone willing to play dumb these days.

Paul_E_D

@Kurlon - it’s yours - did we already discuss the most secure way to pack it and cheapest way to mail it? Packing peanuts in a rubber maid tote? You need any used plastics?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne-o View Post
    Been awhile since I’ve read the rules in MA, but I believe it has 90% to do with if the title says “for off-road use only” on the bottom. If it doesn’t say that, then you’re fine. Alternatively for a 2020 I thought you could also just use the certificate of origin from the dealer.

If it's just a bottom end, I think you can double bag it, then double box it plus stuffing/packing and it'll ship fine?

I realized I get a bunch of soft/shredded blue jean packing material w' my meal deliveries that should help it - should work great!

in the mean time...

the previous CL seller told me that when he installed this cylinder, it "sprayed oil everywhere" out of the exhaust area when he started the bike. As a result, they covered the port in goop/sealant/silicone

I scraped it mostly off and it looked fine to me

my only guess is they had a different exhaust header since the bottom end was a '91-'92 and this cylinder is a '94

anyways, it's been mailed to Wisconsin - $25 via UPS ground

low key, I'm really excited to try a ported cylinder

additionally, this will be the final graphics design - looks kinda cool...modern twist to the old bike

also went to kick start the bike after sitting 4ish months, and the fuel line broke...literally just snapped. It's so old and hardened that it snapped. ughhh...old bike parts randomly failing is one reason why I got the FE350. oh well, this can be fixed for under $8,000...therefore, the smiles per dollar factor make it worthwhile.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-21-20 at 02:13 AM.

one thing I never did was ride the FE and the YZ back to back to better understand the design differences and the FE merits. So the early rides on the YZ now will be my only point of reference.

The 1994 YZ250: this bike with a handful of throttle is definitely fun zinging around town - the pull/hit is a riot on pavement riding...the bike just feels like it wants you to to clutch 2nd gear pop-a-wheelies at any opportunity. On mild twisty roads it's fun to work the WR gear box and accelerate out of turns. street hoon machine! Sure, it's annoying to cruise a steady speed right before it gets on the pipe because it surges with the ring-din ness, but it's fine under 60mph. But off road on washboard stuff, you can clearly see how much the old YZ suspension/chasis falls short - it's more harsh, out of balance, and maybe even out of alignment...The bumps get transmitted to you a lot more, and you get beat up riding it. Then suddenly...surprise! The rear wheel has randomly kicked out sideways in the middle of a bumpy section. Hopefully you can save it and track straight again. I played around with the clickers and it's a little better now...but I also think it's time to finally R&R the swing arm/linkage bearings (onto the WR swing arm) and upper shock bearing. I've had all the parts for years now...time to git r dun.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-21-20 at 03:29 AM.

This thread reminded me of you and your conundrum
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-a...-2020.1423754/

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    This thread reminded me of you and your conundrum
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-a...-2020.1423754/
    that was a good read! seems like the pendulum swung from 2 stroke, to 4 stroke, back to "they're both good, what do you want to use it for?"...although my bike is years behind both, I am a little curious to see how the newer 2 strokes feel

meanwhile, oh millennium

-I filled out the order form & zip tied a little tag to the cylinder w' a list of what I wanted done
    -spoke to millennium on the phone, verified the low/mid range port, verified updated address
    -received initial estimate - it's wrong (no porting, wrong address, no spare piston/top end gaskets)
    -email back to have it updated - receive new invoice, address still wrong
    -call again, update address, go over order again, get new invoice, address is finally updated

phew

I noticed they took out "repair" - so it's now just a port and replate

updated total w' piston/gaskets is: $685.08

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-28-20 at 02:21 PM.

Wait wait, WAIT... after your trip down thumper lane ended with the Husky getting the boot, you're going to ask Millenium to thumperize your YZ with that porting choice?!

Paul said the same thing

Not trying to sterilize the YZ, just looking to add some of the FE's trail friendly merits to the YZ to see if it's a happy medium for me between (difficult-to-ride-but-fun-and-cheap) and (easy-to-ride-but-boring-and-expensive)

Lifer

I get it. They are only dirt bikes. I bought my first *new* dirt bike in 2012 (a KTM 350 EXC-f). Before that, I had never spent over $2,000 for one - and that was in 1998, for a pristine 1995 CR500. Before that one, my spending limit was $500!
    Spending $10k on a dirt bike was tough for me to do, but now, 8 years later, I still have it and it has brought me nothing but smiles. I never even think about the money now.
    Modern 4 strokes are great long-range weapons, but now I am on the search for another 2 stroke - maybe new, maybe used - for shorter, more energetic rides. Knocking on the door of 60 (years), the Beta X-Trainer and Evo-Sport bikes are starting to look attractive. New England terrain is *tough*.

yes! it's just a dirt bike!

For me it's always been a fun leisure hobby using disposable income to balance out work and was my personal, unique way to explore the landscape of California and enjoy the weather. The roots of riding dirt for me were simple: I was just a kid riding in his parent's backyard and wide eyed reading the one issue of dirt bike magazine I had...I never grew up racing, nor does anyone in my family ride or approve of riding. I still harness that childhood excitement, but it just wasn't as much fun when I'm had to use several months of income to afford it.

anyhoo...I went out yesterday for only 60 mins or so...I really need saddle time to stay current on this bike...the longer you stay off it, the less balanced you are.

And I need to stop death gripping the bars...per Jimmy Lewis - "my bars are bamboo"

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-05-20 at 11:26 AM.