Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 222323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1215

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

300+ vaccine clinic today...almost double what I'd done last time where is the "my joints hurt" emoji?

so all I can do at this point is dream about the bike

busy work days = you can also plan/order parts that take awhile to arrive

this came up on my auto-search for $15 shipped:

SCORE!

mine is fine, but this is a discontinued part

I also thought - maybe the high speed tapping noise is the power valve linkage?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-19-21 at 12:05 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

I am thinking about a new GPX TSE250. At $5k new - and being pretty much a copy of an early '90's Yamaha WR200, how bad can it be? The new '21 1/2's are said to have the "race" ECU and the "Performance pipe" stock now. Titling for the street may be an issue, though...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I am thinking about a new GPX TSE250. At $5k new - and being pretty much a copy of an early '90's Yamaha WR200, how bad can it be? The new '21 1/2's are said to have the "race" ECU and the "Performance pipe" stock now. Titling for the street may be an issue, though...
    sooo...I didn't know what this was

just looked up the specs/features - this looks awesome!!

but you are correct; little to no chance to title in CA without a loophole/mistake...sounds like it would be super fun in the pacific northwest, the mountains of the carolinas, or maybe even the rocky northeast trails of NH/ME/VT where you can get a plate easier

turns out the 1/4" fuel line I got from cyclegear was wrong

stopped by Oreilley's and got a 5/16" automotive line - fits like a glove! but it's too thick to fit the clamps...need to get the moto fuel line

day 9 out of 9 today...hoping for a day off tomorrow and maybe I can squeeze in a local ride

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-21-21 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    turns out the 1/4" fuel line I got from cyclegear was wrong

stopped by Oreilley's and got a 5/16" automotive line - fits like a glove! but it's too thick to fit the clamps...need to get the moto fuel line
    which one did you get from CycleGear? Motion Pro Premium is all i use, stuff is awesome, lasts forever and doesn't harden over time. not cheap but... it's not crap.

Beta 200RR

hmm...it came in a bag, so it may actually be motion pro?

agreed, I need something that doesn't harden too as easily. That's why my last fuel line cracked while I wiggled it on.

the good news is that the hard start was solved!

the fuel line leak wasn't allowing the the bowl to fill fast enough

grabbed the bike after work, and just kick started her in the parking lot. Man is she crisp! can't really hear the high pitch rattle noise revving in neutral though. Heading into 10th day straight tomorrow...with a tentative 11th day straight on Saturday Night street cruises after work are all I have at this point. Going to just decline some shifts in the upcoming weeks...need a rest day and a riding day

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-22-21 at 01:37 AM.

found the bag!

ugh, just the standard cyclegear stuff

going to move that to carb vent/gas tank vent duty

I put the automotive line on to test things out, and minus the high rpm tapping, it's great!

13/49 gearing is certainly a really wheelie friendly situation

passed a dad/son in a truck w' 2 dirtbikes in the back, clutched a 3rd gear wheelie, and it sailed all the way through the intersection with room to spare

need a dedicated cleaning/tear down day to take off the head though...day 11 straight tomorrow, with 12 likely on the way.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-23-21 at 09:10 AM.

did another 9 days straight and man, this frontline healthcare worker thing is exhausting

gotta find balance for sanity

squeezed in a "local" ride today

trails were hardpack, tighter, and had lots of quick elevation changes

13/49 was AWESOME

I was able to use 2nd and 3rd

and I could lug the motor and torque my way up the hill areas

kick stand was WORTH IT!!

never really revved it out much, so couldn't really detect any of the upper rpm rattling

buddy followed on his T7

fun little ride!

really helps to clear your mind!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-06-21 at 12:47 PM.

Used power valve linkage popped on eBay and picked up

Keeping the discontinued spares on hand for the future

On the last ride KSU was late at 12:30pm

This time I have my gear loaded up in the truck and will pickup my bike after work as long as I am not scheduled tomorrow

Hoping for a local 2-3 hour ride in the AM and maybe some maintenance in the afternoon/evening

got an invite to this spot:

honestly, I don't think I'm ready for it

that dude is stalling on a 300

did a local ride today:

still liking the woods port more and more...just off idle it's just crisper and smoother.

13/49 is great trail gearing, meaning I used 2-3-4 a lot more. Uphill I could tractor/lug 2nd, kinda lug 3rd, but would need revs for 4th.

adjusted my rear brake lever so I'd have more range of braking power while standing

and now it's time for a clean up, and maintenance day

I still have a ton of mods I want to do

but what I want most right now, is more seat time.

UPDATE: had a shop ride it, and they said the upper RPM “rattle” could be detonation. Scrap the 80:1 Amsoil Saber and just run a 32:1 castor 927 or Super M

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-09-21 at 09:26 PM.

Lifer

I would probably never run 80:1 (any oil) in an older 2 stroke. 32:1 every time for me.

UPDATE: had a shop ride it, and they said the upper RPM “rattle” could be detonation. Scrap the 80:1 Amsoil Saber and just run a 32:1 castor 927 or Super M
    had a feeling that would be the answer after the mods + the way you need to ride upper range. if you are getting detonation, fix it now.

still curious what your jetting is compared to stock. have you inspected the plug? look at the porcelain with magnification and see if you notice shiny flecks. also on the plug, are you running the correct heat range and gap? have you checked your float height recently? pretty sure your fuel out there sucks worse than ours, what are you using? do you know what your compression is at?

^ answers to all of the above will help narrow ... could be an air leak as well but i'd start with those basics first since i think you're unsure about specifics.

and to echo Greg, totally agree, Spectro @ 32:1 was my go-to ... if you still want to run Amsoil products, go with Dominator at 40:1 ... 80:1 is nuts for a road-going 2T

Beta 200RR

nice! I like the way you're thinking!

definitely need to do some tear down/inspection so I can narrow this down

Since the 80:1 tank was a waste anyways, I tried adding a calculated amount of oil into the tank to see if it helped.

No it did not

oh well, at least I got some seat time to burn most of the gas left in the tank.

Rode maybe 40ish miles on pavement with a little bit of graded dirt road.

any day that I'm not at the clinics, I have the dirt bike + gear loaded in the truck

Working the next 4 days consecutively, so I'll try to drain the tank after work and maybe do some cleaning before tearing down parts.

Edit: thinking about it more, I really need to eliminate the mix as a variable.
    -definitely drain the current tank
    -empty the carb float bowl
    -have a fresh tank of 32:1 Castor 927 or M
    -When the carb is apart to be cleaned, note the jetting.
    -inspect current plug before/after

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-12-21 at 03:38 PM.

Lifer

Your WR 250 was never really intended to be a "Dual Sport" bike. It was designed to be a "competition" machine - with relatively high maintenance intervals. Not that it should not be used that way, but extended, steady, mid-throttle road application - well, that motor is just not going to like kind of thing very much -particularly at 80:1. New synthetic oils are allegedly much better, but I still would not go leaner than maybe 40:1 - on any 2-stroke. The rings and cylinder metallurgy combination was probably designed for a 32:1 fuel:oil ratio, but you would have to check the owners manual for the correct recommended ratio.
    Whatever you decide to do, going from 80:1 to 32:1 will almost definitely result in some needed changes in jetting, and in changes to how the motor runs and how long it lasts. It will also result in more plug fouling, and "spooge" in the silencer (and anywhere there are leaks in the exhaust system). Maxima 927 burns ok, but it is a castor based oil, so bring spare plugs and a plug wrench with you! And be prepared for the awesome smell...

I've maybe done 3ish hours...would damage be done?!

btw - I didn't change any jetting going from 32:1 to 80:1

hoping that a combination of 80:1 amsoil without re-jetting caused my issues

so if I go back to 32:1 w' the untouched jetting I should be fine

today I'm going to:
    -pull the plug
    -carb spray clean to remove old 80:1 gas
    -jetting check
    -fresh tank of gas
    -other odds and ends

hopefully no red flags that I'd need a top end soon

while draining the old tank, I also found it pools quite a bit on the right side:

good to know if I'm ever low on fuel...can just tilt/shake the bike for a little extra

meanwhile after work yesterday...

doubletake makes such a fine quality mirror system

you definitely get what you pay for using a $15 Acerbis/cycle gear mirror vs. the $75 dedicated doubletake system.

I don't know why I didn't make that change years ago...

I also added spoke tightening to maintenance after every 2-3 rides

this is a dope spoke tool:

found 5 loose in the rear after 4ish rides

not sure what the recommended torque is though...just used 20ish

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-15-21 at 01:07 PM.

tried 1 gallon of 32:1

and the detonation went down 90%!

good news!

this is just a jetting/mixture issue!

but what does this mean?

does 32:1 = more oil = thicker premix = flows slower through the carb jets = leans out the air/fuel mixture & burns w' less gas?

so do I need to try a leaner main to remove the detonation?

got a late start today after chores, so I didn't get to tear down the bike and check my carb jet sizes and a plug read

hoping to do so Wednesday AM

and for reference, typeone called it!

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    on that noise, what's your jetting and fuel spec? is it running lean when the RPMs are up and PV opens? does it sound like detonation/knock?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-15-21 at 11:44 PM.

Lifer

does 32:1 = more oil = thicker premix = flows slower through the carb jets = leans out the air/fuel mixture & burns w' less gas?

No. going from 80:1 to 32:1 means that every fluid ounce of fuel that flows through your carb contains *less* fuel - and more oil - as percentages of that fluid ounce. It has nothing to do with the flow rate through the orifices.
    80:1 would have you running rich - but the lack of oil could certainly result is some strange noises over time, and elevated running temps, but most importantly it would result in a much faster rate of wear to the piston, rings, cylinder, and rod and crank bearings.
    Many people like to jet their bikes "on the edge" for maximum performance. As a casual trail rider, I always preferred to jet my motors slightly rich, for best longevity and reliability. I never use that last (maybe 2%) anyway. I would rather swap a plug, than replace a crank.

Lifer

BTW - You are doing great with that older WR by keeping it alive and street plated! The thing I miss most about the older bikes is the lower seat heights, and the "sit-in" feeling of the cockpit. My KTM had a towering, nose bleed 38" seat height, and the layout is definitely more "sit on top of the bike". Only just now, in 2021 is Husqvarna starting to recognize that lowering their bikes is a benefit to most people (They have reduced suspension travel at each end by a small amount). We are all not pro MX racers. Now, if they would just make more of a pocket for the rider, I would be happy. I would much rather give up suspension travel to let my feet touch the ground, than demand 12"-13" of travel at each end. 10" of well sorted suspension travel works just fine for me, as long as the pegs do not start hanging up on the rocks - but that is just another area to customize to fit.

thanks, and agreed! you definitely sit in the rider compartment instead of on top of it, and yes - longevity is far more valuable then the edge of performance for a recreational rider

did another 47ish miles from home yesterday

still definitely got the detonation on 32:1

twirled the air/fuel screw out 1/2 turns at a time, and it cleaned up the idle to be smoother, and will idle longer.

going to check/adjust my jetting & needle position, but could this also be a timing issue?

okay goal: Saturday after work, run the bike to empty the carb, check the jets. Send RMATV order for more jets.

EDIT:
    Pilot: 40
    Main: 340

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-27-21 at 10:39 PM.

Lifer

but could this also be a timing issue? - Yes, it could be - particularly if the crank has been replaced, or a full motor rebuild has been done as that means that somebody had to remove the stator plate. The stator plate may have slots in it that allow it to be rotated either way slightly. If you see slots in the mounting plate, you can try adjusting the timing.
    It could also be that motor is just a pinger - like their old iron hammer 490. I would probably just make sure that everything is in its proper place, run premium fuel at 32:1, and try to torque the motor around (avoiding a lot of high revs). If you are really serious about getting rid of the pinging, you could start researching or asking shops about model specific head mods or other info that might still be out there for that bike.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    but could this also be a timing issue? - Yes, it could be - particularly if the crank has been replaced, or a full motor rebuild has been done as that means that somebody had to remove the stator plate.
    full motor was rebuilt in November!

I am going to pop off the stator side cover and take a peek at the position of the stator

my understanding is that in conjunction with a dial gauge, the stator plate can be moved relative to TDC with the flywheel and that can impact the timing

otherwise, I finally got the bowl off:

Pilot Jet: 40

(available sizes: 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55)

Main Jet: 340

(available sizes: 330, 340, 350, 360, 370, 380, 390)

So maybe order 1 size down, and 2 sizes up on the main...and maybe 1 size leaner, and 1 size richer on the pilot?

but to be honest on the pilot, I sort of want to leave the 40 jet and just crank the air/fuel screw in. I noticed that with the air/fuel screw anywhere from 0-1.5 turns out it would barely idle, and stall quickly....this is the "rich" adjustment w' a 40 pilot. Keep it a little better lubed on pavement, then maybe back it out to 2-2.5 turns out (so it idles longer) when I'm trail side.

also, there is a reason why Yamaha used this little clamp on the carb side:

I ran an automotive fuel line that was too thick for the Yamaha clamp and it was leaking gas when the line wiggled off the carb

I put a moto fuel line on w' the clamp and gave it a tug: there's a lip on the fuel inlet which snags the clamp to keep it from wiggling off

for some reason the headlight stopped working...tested the light and it works, so I may have an electrical gremlin somewhere ughh...

been using this 12v battery box

and it's been fantastic!
    -gives me several hours of light
    -110v AC power for soldering iron, ultrasonic cleaner
    -has 12V output to test headlight/taillights/turn signals/etc.
    -charges cell phones/GPS/GoPro/Cardo when I'm camping for a weekend and don't want to run the risk of draining the truck battery
    -super lightweight, compact, charges on wall power, 12v cigg plug in your car, or via solar panel
    -$130 on amazon

highly recommended if you have a shed/storage unit/need mobile power

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-28-21 at 01:10 PM.

leave the 40 pilot and try a 350 main, see how the upper range feels/sounds. also check/reset float height by the book before you do that so you're not chasing your tail.

i would order a 350 and 360 in case you can go further. won't hurt anything to test, if it's too rich it will just feel soggy up top.

Beta 200RR

ordered a 350 and 360!

also, never checked the float height after I had a shop clean the carb

also rented this today:

this thing is on my radar for next bike

it slabs 70mph no problem; and will get to 95mph to pass faster than the Ninja 500!

80-85mph was stressful though...you get blown off the bike.

60-70mph and I could do 1-2 hours of slab to get to the dirt

I rode 115 miles of pavement today 20-65mph, and only mildly fatigued

ordered a 350 and 360!

also, never checked the float height after I had a shop clean the carb
    even more reason to recheck it then ... if the level is off, jetting will be off.

Beta 200RR

posted up about doing a local hour ride, and someone messaged saying he's got a dial gauge to adjust the timing!

so I tried the next 2 bigger main jet sizes:

stock is a 340...I tried a 350 and 360...still detonating

the good news is that it's easy to swap with a slight twist of the carb...literally a 15 min swap

moving to timing next...