Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192030 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

I just keep a bottle or two of H1R in my backpack along with a Maxima Ratio Cup and cap. Note the amount of gas I put in, pour in the requisite amount of oil, amuse my ATV club friends as I proceed to shake the crap out of my bike at the pump, ride on.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

here's how you become the favorite customer in the best suspension shop in the world:

bringing a little east coast goodness to the west coast peeps

a couple of the guys used to work in NH, so they were very familiar but still pleased to see the double D

forks are readdaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!!!!

going to install them now!! can't wait to try them out this weekend in Mexicooooooooo!!!!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Tell them it is snowing in Barrington. Again.

Will do!

Crossed the border to Mexico with the yz250...super cute border patrol girl there who made me shpw her the last 4 digits of the vin and the current registration before crossing, but Mexico gonna smell some castor 927 tomorrow for spring break bike fest...go 2 stroke!

Watch the cacti brother, gotta stay out of those Mexican hospitals

what a friggen rager...

everyone say SALUD!

the bike was a friggen dream...started great, ran great, the locals LOVE hearing/seeing the 2-stroke, kept up ~70-80mph with the liter bikes, rode 40 miles round trip on the pipe at speed, wheelies allllll day

took the bike to the long beach spot to see how the forks feel...

the terrain was smooth, but to be honest, it feels about the same I have to really be looking for the differences, but for the most part it does feel "stiffer" and it doesn't feel like it would bottom out as easily WOT in 3rd/4th over bumpy trails and sudden drops...I am not sure if this is from the increased spring rate or more compression damping.

finally also had my first run-in w' a motocop while waiting at a light...

cop: "That's not street legal...When an officer tells you a vehicle is not street legal, you listen. That's NOT street legal now GET IT OFF THE STREET."

He rides off, no ticket, I was at the gym so I pulled into the parking lot and walked over to the police station, and asked them about it. They pretty much told me if I had all the street legal parts, and current registration (when asked by an officer), I was good.

the CVC is listed here: CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE - the Baja designs kit covers everything (high/low beam headlight, F/R turn signals, horn, plate light, brake/taillight that stays on 15 mins on battery) minus reflectors and tires

I have my 80/20 tires on there now...looking for the most aggressive DOT knobby...advrider says:
    -Pirelli MT21
    -terraflex (except I'd have to mount it on my 18" rim...which is currently my sportsman/"faux" sumo setup)

and I'm changing my mind on my tail/brake light setup...was thinking this:

but the lens is clear...I'd prefer red for less hassle...and they use regular LED's, not the SMD or CREE style

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-16-15 at 05:35 PM.

most aggressive DOT tire = MotoZ Tractionator Enduro or Desert ... they're full on off-road tires with massive knobs. i run the S/T on the woods bike(s)

here's the Desert H/T

and the Enduro I/T

Beta 200RR

wow!!!

since I'd be mostly desert/rocks/street, I think the desert H/T is my hot ticket!

sold by Chaparral too (San Bernardino - about 1-1/2 hours away)...so it shouldn't take long to get!

in case that Long Beach moto cop catches me again...

rear signals installed...

hooked them up to the sliced/diced existing wires hanging down and they work!

only issue is draw - the electrical system is so weak the headlight/signals kill the battery quick (and dim a lot) - going to check if it's DC and swap to LED's

also need to research the most durable connection - I'm thinking soldered w' heat shrink, covered in split loom, and left a little loose w' zip ties as guides in case the wiring needs room to bounce around

banjo brake light switch worked like a charm...did a quickie hackjob trimming of the plastic that protects the frame; will clean it up later and bleed the line later.

Lifer

UFO tail. Way more crash resistant.

Fun-fact, several of the lenses and components are replaceable as well.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

replaceable!?!?

I like the sound of that!

I was actually looking for that tail...theothersean had one for sale a couple years back and I couldn't find his PM...I would likely just swap out the bulbs from incandescent to LED for energy

another plus - it might also help reinforce the flappy paddle tail section I have

edit 1: it is UFO p/n pp01213

edit 2: $69.26 shipped! fleaaaaaa-bay

edit 3: does it have a plate light?

edit 4: according to the CA vehicle code, I can't add my own extra lighting (to aid in my visibility to others), but I can put pretty much as many reflectors as I want - I was thinking of lining the lower fork guards and the handguards w' 3M white reflective tape on the front and red on the rear

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-19-15 at 05:07 PM.

Lifer

Yes, it has a plate light. All it is is a clear portion of the tail that shines down on the plate. Pretty standard stuff.

I smashed the living shit out of the tail/brake light when I tossed the KLX across a curb at Thompson last year. I can't remember who I got it from, but I got a replacement lens and reflector/bulb holder assembly somewhere. Cheaper than a whole new tail. Turns out the entire reflector/holder assembly pops right out once you remove the lens. Clever design.

I am into it!

so one of these threads popped up on advrider...

heavy duty tubes, swap wheel bearings, new top end, carry a couple extra MSR fuel bottles, re-valve/spring the rear shock, piece together a toolkit that takes apart the whole bike, new air filter, bigger camel bak, some duct tape....

...and...I'm ready?

who wants to skip the turkey come and use the KDX?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-21-15 at 01:42 PM.

previous owner: yeah, that bike needs a top end

low hour bike, used for a few family desert excursions, and parked

checked oil - low...topped it off

kick over/roll attempt - no start

spark - good

wtf? bike is pretty low hour...fresh tank of gas, still nothing

pulled of minty looking petcock to double check - and NO gas flows. the little filter crumbled to pieces as I pulled it out - petcock is f'd...6 rounds of ultra sonic cleaning, compressed air, and carb cleaner soak - still nothing.

hooked up external gas line to carb, figured out its kicking pattern, and BAM! SHE STARTS!

won't idle off choke; ultrasonically cleaned the carb

idles great, starts easy

New petcock on order. We are going for a ride this weekend, and she is on craigslist!

next bike to sell - '00 YZ250...then Honda NS50, the pesky 426 (which I might sell as-is), the YZ450F, and then give love to the kdx and figure out if I keep that or the yz250

working my way back down to 2 bikes!!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-21-15 at 11:24 PM.

WOW!

The XR250R (dirt only - NOT street legal!) got 12 emails, 2 phone calls, and a facebook message overnight...sold within 30 mins of contact with a buyer

and the bike was listed for $1,500!! no negotiation necessary!!

apparently they are VERY popular in guatemala - the dude ships them out there and turns a good profit...he told me any XR/CRF100/150/230/250 or TTR 100/125 is a money maker so I should hit him up if I find them around that price range

...more LAB2V prep...

I had some good floodlight success using a 20" LED light bar on my f-150, so I'm going to try an LED fog light for added visibility on the bike

I really don't like riding with too much weight slung on my shoulders while riding, so I'm going to try and stow as much as I can on the bike.

saw a thread for drz400 setups:

Your DRZ400 setups for Bags and racks? - ADVrider

that setup should work similarly for my motocross style bike

so I'm thinking:
    -kolpin system + tank over the rear tail (try not to overload weight in the rear or it affects the bike's handling)
    -inexpensive saddle bags hanging over the sides (maybe even cycle gear) for spare tools, food, water, spare air filter
    -some sort of tank panniers for my spare 2-stroke oil
    -small front fender pack - tubes, tools, fasteners, zip ties

also trying to piece together what sort of items I'd need...I'd like to travel as light as possible, but at the same time I'd have to carry a couple quarts of 2-stroke oil and gas which will take up a good amount of room and weight

good to bring a pre-oiled 2nd air filter to swap between first and second day

very, very cool couple videos documenting the ride in the past:

part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lxx...eature=related

part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvgq...feature=relmfu

reminds me that I am going to practice changing/repairing a tube at home in case I get a nail out in the desert

I am thinking bring some ziploc bags to store your axle spacers/nuts/bolts if you have to drop the front or rear wheel

was thinking about inexpensive tank panniers and saw this in an old ADV thread:

$21.95 + free shipping

Amazon.com: Tusk Tank Bag Black: Automotive

man...can I just buy everything Tusk ever made?

they always make what I want at a fair price

rider instructions on the district 37 AMA website from 2012 here says there will be a sweep truck and an optional gas stop that makes the longest range 92 miles = my 3.4 gallon desert tank + 1.75 gallons of gas in a rotopack with maybe a single MSR fuel bottle in a backpack attached to my rear fender will be sufficient gas for my thirsty 2-smoke (total gas 5.15 gallons - estimated range 110-128 miles depending on jetting and throttle position). The tricky part is estimating gas mileage during 17 mile WOT sand washes...I will be getting an endurance II and heading out to the desert in advance; this will be a good chance to see what the real world mileage becomes

need a roll chart for navigation - it's tried and true - sold @ day of event, but otherwise MSR roll charts are ~$31

the 2012 adv rider thread has a ton of good reading

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-03-15 at 09:27 PM.

Street Legal 2-stroke - Kurlon Edition: I have a working headlight, I found the plug to operate the tail light, for now not going to bother with blinkers, ac to dc conversion, etc; just slapping a plate on so I can run the trails. For the folks doing turkey runs/etc, do you bother with anything more? Maine doesn't require both a street and dirt reg, street reg covers me (unless a specific landowner requests a dirt reg), what's the scoop in other states?

Fun trivia, to go from dirt to street reg in Maine on a machine that is title exempt (Under 300cc or ye olde): Go to town hall, ask to street reg.

Done.

I like that tank pack, dunno if I'd skip my backpack for it or not.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    what's the scoop in other states?
    In MA and NH if you want to ride on the trails you need an off-road registration in addition to the street registration plate.

'Last Chance Canyon' in Vid 1 looks like a sales pitch for a Christini AWD setup.

Wait...still gonna use WR for sumo?

And street plate just for connecting trails/use in races?

If yes, I say keep it as stripped as possible...street shit breaks

Nope, I did what I should have done all along and bought the orange bike hiding in my garage. It's now designated as dirt and light street duty. The WReck is going full race sumo.

Lifer

NH doesn't require signals if the bike didn't come with them. I have zero plans to put them on.
    Now if I could just get the head and tail light to work.

@Kurlon - Which orange bike do you have??