Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202131 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

09 KTM 300 XC-W

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Sick!!

Will the sumo setup fit?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Nope, KTM's run different enough offsets that it'd take more than spacers to swap the wheels. Interestingly, the front Rad wheel is marked YZ / RM implying some Suzuki compatibility...

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    NH doesn't require signals if the bike didn't come with them. I have zero plans to put them on.
    Now if I could just get the head and tail light to work.
    Keep in mind that NH has special laws for street registering off road bikes that aren't shared with most other states. If you want to be 50 state legal, you will have to have proper signals.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I'm plated mainly to make getting to the local trail system easier (2mi jaunt down my road) and to give me the option of turkey runs that I've missed out in years past. I don't plan on going fully wired with signals and a horn just yet.

2 miles down the road???

man...I'd never be home!

Part of the reason I bought it.

ok - I'm still gonna ask - I know you have the 265 motor and sumo rims - but why not just use the ktm to do it all? it's better at everything

street legal 2-stroke supermoto/dirt bike!!!

I only ask because I just sold the XR650L, the RM85, the XR250R...working on selling the '00 YZ250, '02 yz426, '03 yz450f

sharing bikes with friends only happens once ever 3-4 months (and why should I share? they can get their own f*n bikes!!) and I honestly only use the '94 YZ250...

only difference is it's nice not having to swap rims so 1 sumo and 1 dirty is a low effort ride change

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-06-15 at 10:32 AM.

Welp, I already put money into sumo'ing the WR... the way finances and deals on parts lined up forced this setup really. I couldn't swing the KTM at the time, then I scored a good deal on wheels for the WR, then I got the ok to buy the KTM...

I'm ok with the KTM being dirt focused, and the WR being track focused. Even if the WR only gets dragged around as a fallback for the FZR I'm happy. The KTM may not get a ton of use, but it'll be there should I need an afternoon to blow off steam, and if I can swing ice tires for this winter I won't be bumming rides again. So it all works out.

If someone wants to take a massive loss on a set of KTM sumo wheels that'd be fun to explore but I'm not actively shopping for 'em.

K...can't wait to see the sumo wr in action

Gonna crack the yz today and finally do a preventative top end...might order an hour meter too...then one more top end before I do LA Barstow to Vegas

Anyone know if I cam track time with a vapor endurance 2?

Need to b

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Anyone know if I cam track time with a vapor endurance 2?
    http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/i...eII-manual.pdf

perfect...gonna need the ODO for LA-B 2 Vegas so this will do double duty for me

just cracked the top end...and I must say I'm impressed - it doesn't look like anyone opened it at all, and all the components look relatively low hour...looks like most of the hours put on it were my own!

minimal if any chips in the head, cylinder not scored, piston in good shape with minimal carbon buildup on top, and the power valve actuator is all metal! one thing I hated about the suzuki's - a small plastic clip held the exhaust valve rod from the crankcase into the cylinder...that clip could brake quite easily by a frustrated or thick fingered mechanic. Yamaha's design is screwed into place

my only complaints are:
    1.) the cylinder nuts are in a spot that does not allow for use of a torque wrench - just not enough space
    2.) There is also a hose going across the two radiators right above the cylinder - just a bitch to take off and cylinder won't come off without taking it off

so looks like I was still in good shape as it stood - but going to put in a fresh piston/ring/clip so I can have an accurate idea of service intervals. Bottom end felt nice and tight and the bearings were smooth as silk without any noise

It desperately needs a new air filter, and halfway through LA-Barstow to Vegas they recommend bringing a spare, pre-oiled filter and swapping it out...so I'm going to order 2

google plus photos suck - it takes like 1 hour of wifi hookup for it to backup photos...I am making another photobucket account!!!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-06-15 at 09:01 PM.

Order NoToils, they come pre-oiled and ready to rock. They even include gloves in the kit for a no mess install.

huh...and they are cheaper than OEM

bought 2 filters and the maintenance package (filter cleaner, filter oil, grease)

just had the cylinder honed by Del Amo Motorsports in Long Beach - 15 mins; no charge! Top end going back together now so I can ride to the gym (bike = free parking! truck = $2/hour to park downtown)

Odd - main jet was a 340 -

fiche only goes down to a 330 & plug was a little black/oil fouled w' 32:1...ordering the smaller jet and maybe going to drop the needle a clip...need to lean it out a size or 2 for better burn and better gas mileage

damn - w' the FZR clutch push rod bikes are getting expensive - $200 order from Rockymountain! Gotta pay to play...and hopefully this is cheaper to play than other bikes

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-07-15 at 01:15 PM.

Pro tip. 2 stroke plugs are always black and oily unless you put a fresh plug in and do a WOT plug chop. Nothing to be gleaned from that. Ride the bike as you intend to use it and tune for throttle response.

Paul_E_D

did not know that...much thanks!

bike actually runs well as-is

I will try the 330 jet because it's ~$4 to see if it's better or worse...maybe drop the needle a clip and see how it feels...haven't done any tuning so far so not sure what a properly tuned bike even feels like

edit - also looking for some LED turn signals & LED signal flasher to help with current draw...rockymountainatv has sicass flushmount signals - but there's only ONE review on them...need to know if they're bright

edit - don't really want to run vapor all the time...ordering a $12 hour meter from fleabay that stays on the bike

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-07-15 at 01:52 PM.

If it runs well, don't monkey with it! The main effects nothing but WOT (OK, if you go far from stock it will effect other circuits). It's the needle and pilot that effect most of your riding.

The pilot effects 0-25 percent throttle. It is really the response felt when cracking the throttle open. lean will be smooooth, rich will be more abrupt.

The needle effects acceleration. lean will allow the revs to build faster and net a more aggressive bike. rich will make the bike "load up" more and not give great acceleration.

Main effect the last 10 percent at WOT. lean will allow more revs and HP, but add risk of blowing up. Rich will cause the revs to quit early, but will keep the piston and rings cool (last longer).

For dirt, the hot setup is often fat/lean/fat this gives abrupt acceleration, quick revs, and a margin of safety up top. Road set ups are often opposite. lean/fat/lean

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Paul, you going to come up to Boxshop this weekend? I'd love your opinion on my WR's state of tune (assuming I have it rolling by then).

I'm a maybe for boxshop. Depends on the surf.

Paul_E_D

dang...in that case I'll leave the main as-is! (for protection/longevity)

the RM125 and the RM85 were both ridiculously rich on the main from the factory with tons of spooge in the exhaust port...the YZ250 bike didn't have much more than discoloration (vs. build up) when I cleaned up the cylinder prior to installation. If anything, looks like the bike was NOT jetted rich at all from the factory and won't require much if not any tuning.

those descriptions are dead on though...the bike does load up a bit in the mid-range, so I'll try dropping the needle a bit to lean out the mid range...leave the pilot the way it is

piston/top end back together...torquing the cylinder head nuts, re-filling the radiator fluid, and I should be able to ride it in the hour for testing

cool perk of a street legal bike w' an apt life - can go out for testing right after working on it without getting impounded

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-07-15 at 04:44 PM.

4-5 kicks and she runs!

Compression while kicking it over felt good...right around 160psi....perfect!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails street legal 2-strokes-20150507_160431-jpg  

edit: - sheeez! took overnight to backup!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-08-15 at 10:13 AM.

First trail ride on new top end - plug fouls! Oem plug since I bought it, plus bike sitting and oil settled in tank. Need to get spare with wrench in my lab2v toolkit

Did a trail ride through santa clarita hills and the crimp xonnections for brake snapped off...gonna try a solder joint next time.

@Paul-ed I been checking throttle for feel and I am really thinking that lean midrange is what I want...was cool on ride to gym today and I actually noticed it a bit smoother -liked it!

Also - one guy I knew had his crank bearings seize up...is it the transmission fluid that lubes those bearings? thumpertalk indicates that it's the premix
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails street legal 2-strokes-img_20150518_124336-jpg  

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-19-15 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post

Also - one guy I knew had his crank bearings seize up...is it the transmission fluid that lubes those bearings? thumpertalk indicates that it's the premix
    If I understand your question correctly....The crankshaft bearings in a 2 stroke are lubricated by the fuel mix (2 stroke oil in the fuel). I was always under the impression that if you really have a serious lean condition it would in almost all cases be the cylinder/piston to incur damage first. Ball bearings on the crank seem pretty durable, like they would only fail after repeatedly losing lubrication.

'96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold