Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212232 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

that's what I thought...he pulled the transmission drain plug and saw chunks of (what we presume to be) a bearing - but that might just be a transmission bearing?

isn't the oil for the transmission completely different from where the crank bearings would end up if they failed?

in other news...I lost the shifter on the YZ while riding on the street

everything just rattles apart on 2-strokes!!!

definitely need to hand tighten every bolt (and loctite as many as I can) before LAB2V

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I am now fully sold on street legal two strokes. Just did some trail and road time on the Katooom 300, LOVE IT.

Hellllll yeah!

I am all about it

Parked at the campsite near the dirt riding area and the site owner said "hey you can't ride the dirtbikes from here to Calico."

I said "yes I can with that one...it's street legal"

Whellies all day all day

rode desert last weekend...led a couple girls on some rides

she grew up on a farm and used to ride quads:

she rides an R6:

rode hills of santa clarita thursday and man - on a converted dual sport, if anything has the *potential* to fall apart - it WILL!

I hooked up a battery tender using crimps, snaked the wire from the airbox to the footpeg area and within 1 ride, the crimp popped out of the wire and my battery wasn't hooked up anymore

definitely need to work through the wiring and make sure everything I can solder is attached properly, wrapped up, and given enough slack to move around

also having issues with battery drain - idle for 3-4 mins and the headlight drains the battery dead! I'm fine if I keep the rpm's up (ie. freeway riding), but around long beach at night, I'm pretty much invisible

I am going to swap to a 13w LED driving light into the high beam and see if it helps

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-30-15 at 11:41 PM.

Properly done crimps are better than solder in high vibration environments, FYI.

that's what I thought...

I may not have the skill for "properly" done crimps

also, sometimes it's just 24awg wiriing that breaks just outside the crimp if there's no strain relief...so I was thinking - solder, heat shrink, then cover (combined w' other wires) w' split loom into a wiring "harness" so it offers some protection and do my best to route it so it doesn't get rubbed against the frame or fenders

Going to do a dozen more rides to test things out and fit together whatever falls apart...really hoping I get it all sorted before LAB2V, but also adding wire cutters and electrical tape to my toolkit for (hopefully none) trailside repairs

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-31-15 at 03:29 PM.

Yeah, strain relief is key no matter what the connection method.

In other news, new (bigger) battery in the KTM plus a lil wiring harness clean up and I have a lazy button on my street legal two stroke. I'm happily pleased how quickly it lights that big 300 off.

Even though they're not tough to kick over, an e-start 2-smoke IS BITCHIN

(fake instagram shoutout) #streetlegal #2strokes #bikelife

oh man...CL

(in regards to the 426)

Quote Originally Posted by craigslist

Interested in your bike hoping to trade let me know
    -paintball gun
    - guitar and amp
    - amp for subs in a car or wherever
    -stereo 3 disc
    whoa!!! a 3-disc CD changer stereo!!!

EDIT: @Paul_ed - I dropped that needle just ONE clip and the midrange became SUPER smooth and makes the bike feel lighter(?)

Unfortunately the carb was no designed to spin sideways when it's on the bike as it undoes the metal coiled jacket in cable...I tried to push it all back together but it's not enough

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-01-15 at 11:41 PM.

Vegas again...

Did som more WOT wide open higher speed (for me) riding and I think I can feel the difference in the revalved forks now - they work very well at speed without throwing me off the bike for unexpected sand washes/drops

It also sipped a noiceable amount of less fuel with the needle clip position change...I might not even need to carry an extra fuel container for lab2 if I can squeeze 35mpg

Found some smoother hardpack stuff off the freeway if any nesr noobs meet me in Vegas and want to ride easy dirt trails and cut through the dunes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails street legal 2-strokes-img_20150605_140810-jpg  

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-06-15 at 12:29 PM.

When did you get expert plates?

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Rm125 was 51 and it was a disaster...so I am looking to turn things around with a 15

okay...it is finally time for the teardown...

doing a nationwide search for 2-stroke rebuilders...posted on advrider & local streetbike forum...
    -3 bro's KTM (costa mesa, CA): $255 for tear down/initial assessment, at most ~$1,500 for full rebuild
    -inside line moto (orange, CA): ~$180 for tear down, estimated $1,000-$1,200 for rebuild
    -eric gorr/forward motion: $350 for tear down/ ??? for rebuild

moto resources - in GA - jeff chambers

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-26-15 at 06:09 PM.

Why are you sending it out? I realize your RM bit you in the past but they aren't that bad to work on...

they really aren't, but I am

I shouldn't ever be allowed to go inside a split case...critical bolts get rounded/stripped...the crank bearings go in at a bad angle...despite everything lining up to the T, the crank goes in crooked...parts go missing, etc.

basically, if I'm traversing 500 miles in the desert, do I trust a race mechanic over my own abilities for the very delicate bottom end of a motor?

yes

Fair enough. That said, for the prices you're looking at... buy another bike?

unlikely I'd find another CA plated smoker at that price...and even if I did, it might also be on the verge of blowing up

best to start fresh!

I am also clearing the garage...sold the '00 yz250, '01 yz426, '07 xr650l, '02 xr250r, '03 rm85, '98 cr80 supermoto, and have the yamaha quad & KDX200 for sale w' the YZ450 & ns50 to soon follow...want to consolidate down to 1 street/1 plated dirt bike!

YZ has been parked, awaiting a full engine rebuild...

So in the process of prepping for sale, I've been tinkering w' the KDX

aired up the tires, added new grips, bled the front brake line w' the vacuum bleeder

it's odd...when I rode it, the bike felt like it had no "hit"

I rode it again and now I think it's there; just not as sudden as the YZ250

I took the cover off the little rod/governor thing and it's definitely moving...so the exhaust valve should be moving up and down...I just can't tell for sure unless I take the cylinder off

it makes a tapping noise relative to the engine rpm's, so it's hard to say what's going on without taking it apart

this seems like it would be a really cool bike, but I'm just never riding it with the YZ having all the lighting parts for street...showed it today, and going to bump the ad for more hits

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-04-15 at 04:38 PM.

Well that was easy...sold the kdx...

moving on to selling the ns50 and yz450f...

Been a lot of trial and error, but I feel like my hot setup is one sportbike, one plated dirty, and my track xr100r for track days and stuntin

LAB2V REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!!!!

I tried to book the Ramada inn at Barstow, and they are already sold out before registration for LAB2V even opened apparently last year's riders book them right after they finish the ride so they can do it again the next year

gonna book a different hotel nearby and leave my bike at Ramada regardless...they have a boy scout troop and parents watching the bikes overnight

this year they DO require ama membership....gonna be $250+ just to register!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-05-15 at 02:47 PM.

The hotel that LAB2V ends at (the Orleans) in Vegas is one that I signed up for the player's club card...just got an email from them today that I get 2 comp'd nights in November - booked!!!

Staying in Vegas for free!

Staying in Barstow the first night for ~$80...splitting with a friend...

bike is with a mechanic now...about $1,200 to rebuild it top-to-bottom...but best to start fresh!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-01-15 at 09:52 PM.

so I botched it with the top end that I did myself...

the o-ring b/w the cylinder and cylinder head got pinched/melted when I was putting it back together; so I clipped it to fit back into the space and ordered a new top end gasket set...which I then never installed and rode the bike too many times

since that happened - coolant leaked into the combustion chamber, which led to a wrecked piston, damaged cylinder and bits into the bottom end which now needs a rebuilt crank and new crank bearings, blah blah a full rebuild.

mechanic said we can sleeve it or re-plate it...but recommended we re-plate it...looking on TT, millenium or eric gorr both do a good job for ~$260

Gonna have it re-plated!

OEM cranks are no longer available; so I'm having him rebuild the OEM crank with OEM parts...while the cases are split, I'm having him also replace many crankcase bearings.

I know it seems like a lot of money, but times like this I'd imagine a completely wrecked 4-stroke motor would cost this much in parts alone...I can likely fully rebuild a smoker (by a professional mechanic) with labor for the cost of 4t parts

they are also having showgirls b/w 3-6pm at the finish again this year

nothing about riding a dual sport is attractive to most women of beauty, and I probably couldn't ever land one of those girls for the night...but that's never stopped me in the past from trying

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-06-15 at 04:37 PM.

IIRC Eric Gorr uses Millenium to do the plating. If you're sending it to Eric to begin with, consider having him port or do a big bore and port job. Send your head too. You'll likely need to tune up your jetting a touch when you get it back but you'll have a much better running machine as well.

oh snap, really??

then directly to millenium it will go!

I thought about big bore/port jobs; but I don't really want 'em...in my head the extra power will cause premature wear on other parts...I could be way off; but in my limited experience Yamaha engineered everything together just right and I'd like to keep it as close to their design as possible.

And honestly, stock is way more than enough power for me to get in trouble/hurt!

Go with mo-betta porting and you'll basically gain more low to mid power, and a bit on top. In a way, it makes the bike more 'four stroke' like, you loose a bit of the 'hit' feel because it's making more power prior. For me, much easier to ride. A 265 setup isn't much of an overbore compared to stock, that said his 295 setup for modern YZs (which one are you modding again?) has proven to be pretty reliable from all the reports I've seen. For this application I don't think I'd go that far though without pinging Eric first. My concern would be heat generation.

I sold the '00...it's going on the '94...it would be the 265 kit...

I like the idea of more broad power/easy to ride, but I'd want to try it before buying it