Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262737 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

I am on my 3rd 1987 KDX200. Pretty bullet proof when you get them dialed in. ( don't try to get that one last ride in when you know your top end is weak )
    I love them and I've never had an issue with my KIPS valve. I like the air cooled simplicity.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

No offense intended Sheppo. The aluminum KIPS gears on the earlier models seem to cause endless troubles on the forums I've been lurking. Your experience vastly outnumbers mine. Do you clean the system occasionally?
    I thought my KIPS was defunct because my bike had no top end power. Turns out it was way too rich, rips pretty good now with leaner jets and cold air!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    No offense intended Sheppo.
    None taken. I've only had '87 models. I clean em when I do a top end. Yea too rich or too fat with oil and they don't behave well. (Or low compression )

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Crazy hillclimb!

here's my buddy ^ in the pic to scale the size of the hill LOL

Explored a new spot today...tons of rolling hills of atv-wide trails...a few cool single tracks though!

RRRRrrrring ding ding ding!

thug life

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-26-16 at 06:55 PM.

crazy cool. i always wonder how i would like that sort of riding. always ridden tight eastern woods.

what are the temps like?

Beta 200RR

all riding is good riding

you should definitely try it out sometime...but to be perfectly honest, when you're skilled the open stuff gets boring...and out in the desert you do eventually find yourself *looking* for the single track stuff...when there really isn't as much

admo tour for you!

weather is 60-70 right now desert side...but just so the east isn't deceived, the desert isn't really year-round riding...between May and November it's just too hot for most people to ride...I can tolerate it, but gotta stay hydrated and take brakes...that's the time to head into the forests for some cooler temps

mo' cool stuff

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-26-16 at 08:09 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

pursuant to the "everything eventually rattles apart" mantra on all dirtbikes...

spokes: I just broke 1, spun 1 out, and lost 1 on the last ride...and it does not ship through RMATV or Chapparral

found an ebay seller that has a partial pack of OEM yamaha rear spokes...went ahead and bought the whole pack...and didn't update the address and sent it to my old place

tighten your spokes folks!!!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-26-16 at 09:55 PM.

cool little section

was scrolling through a friend's facebook page and found this!

almost missed it!

requisite pic for the bucket list!

why live in CA to pay ridiculous amounts of taxes, deal with traffic, high cost of living, tons of scams, and a clash of immigrant cultures, if you aren't going to get out and enjoy the better parts?

was a big foggy and gloomy today...but the dampness kept the dust down!

went to the same spot...just over an hr drive, plenty of riding..

got a little lost...always part of the plan

pretty cool - found a "natural terrain" type MX track out there!!

someone built berms and it all connects to do laps!!

have plenty to explore...gonna keep coming back

& the dude that came informed me that there is ICE RACING up in big bear in the winter

I'm definitely in for that next year!!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-06-16 at 12:28 AM.

for my instagram

FACELIFT TIME!!

With a relatively fresh top/bottom end on her and the damage LAB2V did to the plastics all done, I figure it's time to give her a makeover!

All new plastics all around by UFO (although they don't quite fit perfectly...I plan on getting a dremmel to widen the holes and line them up better) with a '10-'15 YZ450F front fender

brought it to the same place that did the YZ450F I had done awhile back...told him to use the same design, so the bike should look pretty good!

new black seat cover needs to get wrapped!

and for the "high clean tail" look - going w' DRC Edge2!

all aluminum - won't snap off like the cyclegear plastic holder!

LED!

extends 7" into the tail & 4" wide for reinforcement!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-08-16 at 02:59 PM.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Taste of NE out west. Nice

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

me? the bike? or the trails?

graphics done! got a teaser pic!

looked a little better on the 450 LOL...

ERIC GORR HAS '94 YZ250 TUNING TIPS!!

http://www.eric-gorr.com/images/docu...TuningTips.pdf

hot things I can't find/won't do:
    -long rod kit - apparently the hot ticket! Wyndham and Lusk used the '94 cylinders on '97 bikes w' an '89 crank! On my bike I'd also need a spacer, and yamaha made a kit...but who knows if I can find it
    -DeVol Engineering linkage - to fix the "yamahop" - their products only go back to '96
    -grind exhaust valves/raising transfer ports/change power valve to 4 ball/easier pull clutch by rounding edges on levers - recipe for destroying a cylinder

things I will do:
    -the bike is described as having a strong midrange that flattens out at the top (SO true!) & the carb was described as jetted lean. Eric recommends a 400 main jet and 59 needle...the needle doesn't ship from rockymountain ATV, but the main jet I can get.
    -Reeds - he says the Reed stop plates block the upper and lower ports - installing the Boyesen RAD reeds will "enable to the boost ports to flow as they were intended to"...not available in rockymountain, but it's Model # RAD-34A per the Boyesen website...found on ebay!
    -both of those things should help my flat top rpm's...plus Paul had mentioned rich-lean-rich jetting anyhow to provide more oil/lube when you need it

on order

also I'm pretty happy with the construction of the DRC LED tail/license plate holder, so I'm going to see if their turn signals are equally well constructed and are (hopefully) sufficiently bright as daytime signals

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-13-16 at 12:53 PM.

Long rod kit: Need an 89 rod, 94 cylinder, spacer plate, and the tricksy part you can't find now - a longer power valve pull arm. Because you're already sporting a 94 cylinder you don't have the added fun of needing a custom pipe. I actually discussed this with Eric RE my 92 racer and what little gains there were to be had on top of the cylinder and head work I've had done already weren't worth the effort in his opinion. If you want more power, punch that puppy out to 265 and get it ported, throw a Smart Carb on it and rock on.

Jetting: Make sure you're not chasing a worn out carb like I was... if it always reads fat no matter what, it may not be the jetting. Also, don't put that main jet in until you've got the matching needle, without the needle that 400 could be way fat, way lean, etc. If you're not swapping needles, adjust the main from where you're at now rather than pulling from a suggestion based on a different baseline. Or, get a Smart Carb and be done. Did I mention I LOVE that carb?

Reeds: I've got a V-Force reed block in mine, thank you Davo and Stimilon!

Another thing to watch: Powervalve covers, they double as stops for the powervalve. Steel banging into aluminum was Yamaha's smartest idea... Over time the stops in the covers get beaten back allowing the powervalve to over-rotate which puts it into the piston. This triggers a new round of aluminum meeting steel in a bad way. Inspect those covers periodically and replace when they wear.

nice tips, thanks man!!

why is a longer power valve pull arm required? stroke isn't changed...the spacer just raises the cylinder head, no?

But agreed...the gains in power are all fixed w' the 265 (apparently there isn't a 295 for this year)...I have 2 spare cylinders, so I might have one of those punched out along w' WR gears in the 2nd motor. So basically my 2nd motor will just be a WR265 motor LOL

what does the smart carb do??

namely - I'd like more low end and top end...keep the midrange the same (fun wheelies )

jetting - I'm at a 340 now - going to a 400 does seem like a big step...I might try a 350 first and see if I want to go to smart carb after

never checked that powervalve cover...need to add that to the maintenance checks!

So, when you go long rod, without changing pistons you have to raise the cylinder to match the increase in rod length. 4mm IIRC. Hence the spacer plate between the cylinder and bottom end. Imagine taking your top end off but forgetting to undo the power valve pull arm. As you start to lift the cylinder, the powervalve is going to rotate 'cause the pull arm is now... pulling on it. If you don't run a longer pull arm your powervalve will be constantly hanging slightly open, which won't help you on bottom. It'll also be fully open too soon, again not helping.

On the Smart Carb, primary gain is from much better fuel atomization. Finer particles in a better mix with air results in better combustion. The side effect of more complete combustion is improved fuel economy and more powah. Go with a 36mm if you want to fatten the bottom end, 38mm for an all around better experience, 40mm if you're ok loosing some bottom for more on top.

On the motor going 'flat' or falling off hard on top, try retarding the ignition one or two degrees. You'll need a dial gauge which you can score off eBay with a spark plug adapter for quite reasonable. Backing the timing off will lessen the 'hit' you get but that small loss is migrated to the far end of the dyno chart improving the overrev region.

ahh, got it...didn't know the spacer was under the cylinder...ya f the long rod kit

just read a ignition timing retard article w' pic of dyno...that looks like what I'm looking for...just want it to hang longer

new graphics!!

the newer 450 front fender makes it look ready to pounce!

daylight savings time = DUAL SPORT RUN AFTER WORK!!

Gonna try and rip Tuesday

next cosmetics:
    -new black gripper seat
    -black rims
    -new handguards
    -install DRC tail w' flushmount turn signals

Bike looks sweet! I know you're on it, but that rear wheel is freakin' me out.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

it's okay!

moved everything in my shed up high, so I can work on the bike at night after work

might try to get the new spokes on tonight...

Ready!

I couldn't get the tire off for my life, and swore I was going to bend the rim in the procees, so I dropped it off at the dealer...was only $28! Indy shops quoted me $40-$90

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Making me so hungry to come out and hang with you!

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

do it!!!

cept' I'm down to 1 dirty/1 streety/1 mini...we'd need to rent each bike for each duty