Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272838 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

oh man, oh man...

I read half the internet's threads on the '94 YZ250...people rant about it...best motor of the year, and got worse in 96-98...used in the later year, well sought WR250 2-stroke models

imho - I thought the '00 YZ250 motor was way better - more broad power that was easy to put down. The '94 feels like it has less low end, a peak midrange, and more hit. That narrower power band requires more work/clutch to get fast. Don't get me wrong, it'll keep up, but side-by-side the '00 was better.

and I'm not usually one to "mod" the engine for power...it's a '94 yz250, who cares?

but eric gorr's guide makes sense...

the boyesen rad valve doesn't have any reed stop plates, which would otherwise block the boost ports on the intake side

I'm thinking boyesen rad valve next!!

and time to start peeking in those spare cylinders to get a 265...although I can't decide on porting...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-20-16 at 04:26 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

CALIFORNIA CITY

background: California City was purchased, divided up into towns/neighborhoods and sold off as the "next big city" in the middle of the mojave desert...3rd largest city in CA by area!

worldwide - investors bought plots of land only for it to have never taken off...it's a dumpy desert town now...with tons of undeveloped land that the city owns/allows for dirtbike riding

tons of smooth, wide-open desert terrain!

so smooth, you can go 70mph ON DIRT!

aim for a hill and climb it!!

tons of "greenery" for the desert

good variety too...tons of easy stuff...then a good amount of trickier stuff too!

pursuant to the "everything rattles off on a dirtbike", this happened

surprisingly, the older, rotting straps held...the new ones wiggled loose!

zip ties to the rescue!

obligatory wheelie for ducati boy!

Love the desert. Love dirt bikes. Loved California City.

Lifer

California City. I feel like that was a sub-plot in Lethal Weapon 3. Anybody buried in concrete out there?

Ooh, NCCAR California edition.

whoa that's cool!!

I figure there are a lot of cool, "hidden" things out in the desert like that

dunno about lethal weapon 3 tho??

@Kurlon - do I buy it?!?

1991 94 Kawasaki KDX25 Kick Stand Side Stand KDX2 KDX22 3243 1363 3424 127 | eBay

is it priced fair??

then I'll add a '94-97 swingarm from a WR250 for fifty bucks and have something that doesn't blow over in the wind!!

Are you sure that stand uses the same bolt pattern as the WR?

My swingarm mounted KDX seems a lot more tipsy than my frame-mounted Yamahas. Having the stand closer to the CG seems helpful. Maybe not feasible on the dinosaur smokers.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

@k - ya I bought a wr one for the kdx

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Maybe not feasible on the dinosaur smokers.
    this!!

hmm, too bad you can't get a Pro Moto Billet stand to work, they make one for the '96 YZ250. not cheap, but very nice stands.

Beta 200RR

I knowwwwww

the pro moto billet ones are the best aftermarket ones out there...well constructed & safer! don't swing down when you land a jump...plus they tuck out of the way nicely

I called pro moto billet and they said it won't fit my bike...said their application guide shouldn't even go back to '96

what if you had two tabs (or similar) welded to the frame just behind peg? seems like something a fab shop could do quick and cheap. you would need the PMB stand beforehand, of course.

Beta 200RR

hmmm...I don't usually like to fab much because they are prone to failure whenever I do it ...but I figure something to hold up the bike shouldn't be that bad

maybe!

darn...missed out on the KDX kickstand...I will likely buy the next one that pops up

although...

this is VERY tempting

94 97 Yamaha WR25 Complete Transmission | eBay

really want to build my spare motor with WR250 gears

made an offer @ $125

also thinking about @Kurlon's suggestion - skip the long rod, just "Gorr" out one of my spare cylinders to 265 & have it ported...I might do that now for the current motor, then just move the cylinder over when the B motor has WR gear in it

1992-1998 YZ 25-295cc Big Bore Kit. | KUSTOM - KRAFT PERFORMANCE

They're claiming to be able to take our gen motor to 295...

hmm...didn't know that existed!

shooting them a message about porting

the difference in power delivery b/w the '94 and '98+ had a lot to do w' low end...I sorta want a 265/295 that's ported super low for torque, smoother, more tractable power delivery (less "hit") and overall power that allows me to gear the bike up for top speed and drop that rear sprocket to 40-42

and that was quick - OFFER ACCEPTED ON THE WR250 GEARS!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-06-16 at 10:28 AM.

be careful focusing on low end too much, a buddy of mine just went Gorr 265 with his CR, focused power down low and he's already feeling it's lost it's top end legs on mellow trail. you're in open country which makes the decision even more important.

Last edited by typeone; 04-06-16 at 10:50 AM. Reason: werds
    Beta 200RR

Yeah, if you want to 'mellow' the hit, don't do it with porting, back some ignition timing out. You'll lessen the hit, and gain some overrev.

hmm...interesting...

I don't really wanna lose more top end...it already goes pretty flat soon after getting on the pipe...

so 265/295 + back ignition some + "mo betta" porting?

My new-to-me KTM ('05 300 EXC) has a headlight but no tail light or turn signals. Am I wasting time (and about $200) by getting a lighting kit to accommodate them? As far as I can tell the bike doesn't have a battery, just a stator. It does have a street title, though, and while I'd never think to commute on it it would be nice to be able to ride to trails instead of trailering the thing.

Or would it, though? Is that one of those things that sounds way more fun than it really is? Although there's a U-Haul close to me, there's no way I can park my own trailer in Somerville.

That's what I love about my 09 300 XC-W is just firing it up and riding to the trails and around town for errands. Currently I've just got a headlight and a tail light. I need to at least get working brake light switches on it, I should fully light it up so it'll pass Maine inspection but so far no one has bothered me. Pop the seat, if you've got a batt it should be in the airbox IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    That's what I love about my 09 300 XC-W is just firing it up and riding to the trails and around town for errands. Currently I've just got a headlight and a tail light. I need to at least get working brake light switches on it, I should fully light it up so it'll pass Maine inspection but so far no one has bothered me. Pop the seat, if you've got a batt it should be in the airbox IIRC.
    Yeah, I think Boston cops would be strict enough to pull me over if they saw I didn't have a tail light. I could probably get away with no signals, though. But if it's only $200 for lights (I'd still need a horn) I don't mind going all-out and trying to actually get it inspected. Because getting pulled over and ticketed once for no inspection is probably half-way to $200 in fines..?

The one thing that concerns me a little is that there's no ignition key. I don't know if yours has one, but that makes me a little nervous. Yeah, I could rig up a kill switch, or go for a disc lock, but still...

No key on mine either, so I just don't leave it in public. If I get off for an errand it's where I can see it the whole time.

Lifer

Yours is probably like mine; an AC system with battery and no rectifier, only a regulator. DC items like electric horns and LED lights will not work, I tried very hard to make them work, but they do not. I installed KTM parts for tail, brake, and headlights. I bought a 3rd party pressure switch kit for the rear brake light. And one of those flip up trail mirrors. I bought a baja designs electric horn kit. It has a small nicad battery pack that goes in the airbox to power the electric horn.

Legally, I am a set of DOT approved tires away from being able to pass inspection here in NH, I think. We do not require blinkers if the bike was not equipped with them from the factory, or some such. And we are not required to have a front brake light switch, only rear.

Your situation is probably much more strict. Therefore you'd need a full kit. You probably do not need a battery though, except for the horn. Everything else can run off the AC bike circuit.

Is it worth it? I say positively yes! Downright required for some of the turkey run type events I wanted to do.

Regarding the key; I almost never let the machine out of my sight. I will probably never use it for commuting or errands. If I did, I'd add a key.

Last edited by nhbubba; 04-07-16 at 06:29 AM.

@#9 - sounds like you have an itch to do it, and half the battle is a street title, so I'd go for it!

not great on freeway, and if you are around Boston I'd recommend as many street parts for those cops as you can...as essentially you are a flying cop magnet...I got pulled over in LBC and the moto cop told me to get the bike off the road for not having turn signals