Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293040 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

been awhile!

want to get 'er back together because 8pm sunsets = post-work weekend rides (get off work at 5pm)

I save desert trips for a full day off

W' all the new plastics/graphics, I figured I'd clean up the tail w' a DRC Edge LED taillight...only on my last ride, I didn't move it far back enough and it got hit by the wheel...no plate on it, but the mount got bent the f up and the taillight has been sacrificed to the desert Gods

new vs. old

to get the new mount a little higher up, I used a dremel to take the lip off the edge of the rear fender, then bent the bracket a wee bit so the plate faces farther up up...I also moved it back a little more than last time

unfortunately the tail is super floppy...so I may move the acerbis fender brace over

also bought some DRC signals while I was at it...looks pretty well built, and will be flush mount this time

next day off I will measure the compression and order a new top end...then think about mailing out a cylinder for some 265 action

otherwise, I'm now making plans for LAB2V 2016...
    -swap YZ swingarm w' WR swing arm...add KDX kickstand
    -have fresh top end (maybe w' EG/millenium 265 cylinder?)
    -install WR250 gears
    -get replacement LED light bar - wire snapped out on last desert ride
    -have rear shock re-valved/sprung
    -move some tools to the bike in a moose tail pack - take weight off my back
    -protaper hi bend bars

dunno about the 7/8" vs. 1-1/8" bars...the 7/8" means I can keep my upper triples, and honestly having the cross bar gave me a spot to mount the roll chart

I don't think I'm bringing spare fuel this time in a 1.75gal rotopax...I may bring 1/4 gallon tops in an MSR fuel container in a smaller bag because I didn't really need the roto pax last year...in the mean time, I will just go on a few rides and figure out my range

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-02-16 at 12:39 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Why bother with a compression check if you're going to refresh a cylinder anyways?

1.) Data Reference - with 8 months of on/off riding - how much compression did I actually lose?

2.) Fresh top end closer towards LAB2V...want to do some riding now - should I do a top end now? Depends on tear down and compression

1) Fair enough. For reference, with 2.5 hours of operation I went from 265psi to 230psi. And also cracked the cylinder.

To be honest, I also need to start maintaining the bikes more instead of riding until something pops

Trying to make maintenance more of a hobby...so I start enjoying it...

Also want to do teardowns enough times that it's a quick routine...have the top end off in 30 mins amd bottom end out in 2-3 hrs sort of deal

Ya I figure I can't go too long or things start exploding

I am also trying to make rebuilding a hobby...I keep riding them until they get ratty

went for a ride today with some better riders, and it started out awesome, then ended up sucking...

we hit the hill climbs, the rocky/technical stuff, the single track, and by 2-1/2 hours, I was beat...and we still had 2 hours to go...Riding fatigued sucks balls. I got super sloppy, I had several tip overs, and got so tired I could barely ride fire roads...what's worse is my front brake pads went down to metal, built up pressure, and clamped on the rotor without letting go...had to bleed the front on the trail and rode back sketchy/rocky downhill with just a locked/sliding rear. It wasn't fun anymore. And on one tip over, my camelbak mouthpiece fell out, all my water poured out, and I became super dehydrated over 1-2 hours...full sweat...90+ degrees, and it messed me up. I was dizzy, extremely fatigued, could barely handle the bike, and got super pessimistic about if I'd make it back, and started making mental plans about leaving the bike and just walking back to my truck. I felt way out of my element and just wanted to fell "normal" again.

dehydration is real...don't let it get you!

I started to panic a little too towards the end when we were supposedly close, but got lost at the end of the ride. I was just so tired, my mind couldn't overcome my body's fatigue...could not handle any more rocky hills, single track, and I could barely ride a fire trail. I kept asking everyone if anyone knew where we were...I made a couple of the older guys mad because I just rode slow, took a 2-3 min break before hitting a hill, I fell a lot, and asked a lot of questions. Once back at the truck I drank 2 bottles of water, a gatorade, banana, nuts, an egg sandwich and just passed out for 1/2 hour until the water and food absorbed...and even stopped twice on my 1-1/2 hour drive to nap and/or deal with the cramping. It was so bad I couldn't hit the gas or break pedal with either leg...just pain in the muscles.

aside from that crap, and that I now need a new rotor/front brakes...and I DEFINITELY need my rear shock revalved/sprung to match the front (it shot me all OVER the place)...the trails were awesome

don't look or go right!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-05-16 at 09:12 PM.

1st half day highlight reel...

I know, I know...im such a noob

gopro died halfway...so missed all the ridge/technical singletrack at the end...was too tired anyhow!

bazingo bamo

$59 shipped from a '97 WR250

can't stand that swing-arm clamp kickstand...everyone around me fears that it's going to fall off during the ride!

also already contacted Factory Connection; about ready to get that pogo stick of a rear shock re-sprung/valved to match the front...the other guys on the last ride said "you need that shock setup, it's all OVER the place!"

will pull that out soon and send it off...

also ready for some new handguards, bars, and maybe headlight...

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

glad you made it back ok. didnt the other guys pick up you were bonking/ dehydrated? Kne jer reaction is. what bunch of *%$ks. Basic group rules go as fast as the slowest and take care of your group

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    went for a ride today with some better riders, and it started out awesome, then ended up sucking...

we hit the hill climbs, the rocky/technical stuff, the single track, and by 2-1/2 hours, I was beat...and we still had 2 hours to go...Riding fatigued sucks balls. I got super sloppy, I had several tip overs, and got so tired I could barely ride fire roads...what's worse is my front brake pads went down to metal, built up pressure, and clamped on the rotor without letting go...had to bleed the front on the trail and rode back sketchy/rocky downhill with just a locked/sliding rear. It wasn't fun anymore. And on one tip over, my camelbak mouthpiece fell out, all my water poured out, and I became super dehydrated over 1-2 hours...full sweat...90+ degrees, and it messed me up. I was dizzy, extremely fatigued, could barely handle the bike, and got super pessimistic about if I'd make it back, and started making mental plans about leaving the bike and just walking back to my truck. I felt way out of my element and just wanted to fell "normal" again.

dehydration is real...don't let it get you!

I started to panic a little too towards the end when we were supposedly close, but got lost at the end of the ride. I was just so tired, my mind couldn't overcome my body's fatigue...could not handle any more rocky hills, single track, and I could barely ride a fire trail. I kept asking everyone if anyone knew where we were...I made a couple of the older guys mad because I just rode slow, took a 2-3 min break before hitting a hill, I fell a lot, and asked a lot of questions. Once back at the truck I drank 2 bottles of water, a gatorade, banana, nuts, an egg sandwich and just passed out for 1/2 hour until the water and food absorbed...and even stopped twice on my 1-1/2 hour drive to nap and/or deal with the cramping. It was so bad I couldn't hit the gas or break pedal with either leg...just pain in the muscles.

aside from that crap, and that I now need a new rotor/front brakes...and I DEFINITELY need my rear shock revalved/sprung to match the front (it shot me all OVER the place)...the trails were awesome

don't look or go right!

hmmmm......

oh they did...but there's a limit...I was just unbearably slow...and I kept telling myself "don't be a b*tch & complain"....which I eventually ended up doing

it's just a reality of riding with new people...you can never be sure of their skill levels...and because I work a variable schedule weekly, I VERY often ride with new people...like at least 1/2 a dozen in the last 6 months or so

but swing arm came in today!

I'd like to get a quickie ride this weekend after work, so next Tuesday I'm tentatively thinking...
    -remove shock - mail to FC ($470.19 + s&h )
    -swap swing arm
    -install replacement LED light bar for headlight
    -front brake pads (and rotor?)
    -air filter
    -change radiator fluid & transmission fluid
    -throttle cable (pull carb, ultrasonic clean, change needle position 1 more clip for slightly leaner mid throttle)
    -measure compression
    -box up & mail out 2 cylinders to millennium for assessment

my Moto Z tractionator was a good tire....made it all the way to Vegas and then some...I can still run it on pavement, but in the hard packed/rocky stuff, it's getting pretty slippery...my next rear may be a trials tire on the 18" rim so it'll hook up in the hard, and last a bit longer...I'll likely mount another tractionator before LA-B2V since there was a TON of sand (& trials are known not to perform so well there)

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-22-16 at 01:32 AM.

Just got off the phone with factory connection...

good news! from a tech standpoint, the newer bikes actually have the same 46mm(?) shock and very similar design...the newer ones just have a longer shaft

so as long as I do a revalve/spring, it will be as comparable as I can get to a newer bike without buying one. Plus the 22 year old oil is just due for a changing...the compounds are likely broken down and I've been beating the F out of it wear and tear wise.

bad news - $470.19 + s&h

$500 rear end!

going to swap my front pads, bleed the line, go through the bike, then take off the shock, box her up, and mail her out.

Have I shown you my Penske rear on the WR courtesy of Computrack Boston?

And seriously, that seems high for a revalve/spring/rebuild?

Last edited by Kurlon; 06-27-16 at 01:55 PM.

Lifer

Computrack charged me half that to rebuild a Penske AND swap the spring, including return shipping.

that's what I thought!

IIRC I spent 1/4 of that getting the rear shock serviced on the RM125

@Kurlon - what did you do to the rear and how much/did it help?

So, the 92 sports the prior gen KYB rear, and it's got one or more oddball seal / wear part sizes. You can't get a bunch of the internal parts new now, and back when it was first rebuilt by FC in 2011 we had to reuse a couple parts due to lack of replacements. So when it came time to do the Sumo conversion build, my options were:

- Revalve and hope the old bits still hold
    - See if a modern KYB would accept my shock's lower clevis and otherwise be adaptable, revalve
    - Re-purpose a Penske MX shock Peter had from his adventures in dirt

I chose the last option, turns out ye-olde KDX shocks use the same lower clevis geometry as my 92. Going with a Penske means there are no questions about parts availability and Peter is well versed in their assembly and tuning. His initial theory on springing and valving isn't too far off, at Boxshop the bike works, at NHMS it's a bit 'nervous' in corners I guess is the best way to describe it. It needs stiffer springs, but I've been slacking on getting some info to Peter so he can get the right parts. Overall it's a big improvement over what I had, but that's comparing a total woods setup to ball park Sumo setup in a Sumo arena, aka not a straight up comparison.

Gawd I need to find the money to get that beast revived... miss my smoker!

okie...gonna check with PK...$500 is a lot to chew

PK quoted me better than FC...so it looks like I'm sending to GMD!

other news...
    1.) will pull off swing arm when I pull off the shock - install WR swing arm with kickstand
    2.) will drop motor when shock/swing arm are off - strip off clutch/flywheel, bring w' WR gears to Q&E/Anaheim or Inside Line Moto/Orange = get WR gears installed!!!
    3.) too hot + aggressive ride = no bueno. Turns out the ride I did overhtheeated my brake fluid (?) because my pads were fine...just needed to bleed the line for the brakes to work again!

I also evaporated a lot of coolant putting the engine "on the pipe" and rocking it forward/backward to get up some of those rocky, off-camber hill climbs...

so when you go on a street ride with low coolant, your overheating threshold is...

...lower

need to drain, re-measure, and add some fresh coolant.

Since I'm disassembling the motor anyhow, I'll make sure the cooling system works first, then just empty the whole thing and send the motor off.

4.) LA-B2V was expensive AF last year. This year - going to volunteer as Rescue 3/sweep!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-21-16 at 08:20 PM.

Get an overflow bottle setup. Get warm, it pushes coolant into the bottle instead of the air. Cools off, it sucks it back in, works primo.

And what's this drain and remeasure? Fill till the coolant is over the radiator core under the cap, done.

my Mexico trip from 2 years ago got re-posted as a promo

spring break bike week in Rosarito Beach, Mexico

I've been investing less and less into this girl recently...just want to save up $$ for 20% down on another rental property!!

actually going to pack the bike into the corner of the shed, because an international rider is looking for someone to store a dirt bike in the LA area before he continues his US off-road tour...I volunteered!

not going to ride LAB2V this year...but will instead be helping out by shuttling bikes with the truck

will probably clean her up and just install whichever mods I already have/paid for...sitting on a shelf in the shed

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-04-16 at 11:41 PM.

been crazy with the next property acquisition, but I can't stop thinking about the bike!

there's a bike night in a couple weeks...may have to show up and smoke 'em out!

also saw this...tastefully decorated!

there are now quite a few well made, firm, inexpensive mounts for the MSR fuel bottle nowadays...

I used a 3.4 gallon desert tank + 1.75 gallon roto-pax for LAB2V 2015. I raised the clip 1 position to slightly lean out the mid range, used 1/8-1/4 throttle in 5th gear as much as I could, and while I never had to have to reach back for extra fuel on the 50-90 mile sprints, I did get close/sketched out between Kramer junction and barstow (that was close to 90 miles IIRC), and that's what I want the spare fuel for...or back tracking/getting lost. I may also bring a dip-stick or equivalent measuring system to see how much fuel I have left.

The rotopax mount stabs you in the butt in the whoops - no bueno

'94 YZ250 only had bulge on right side from exhaust:

So I'm bringing 1 msr 30oz (1/4 gallon) on the left side

Gonna empty into tank as soon as I can...then at gas stations, top off gas tank, measure & add oil w' Maxima bottle and shake the bike. 1/4 gallon worth of oil into MSR container (1oz/30ml), 1/4 gallon of gas, and go. If, for whatever reason, I need trail side gas beyond that, I'll just bring a short fuel line, hook up to someone's 4-stroke tank and top off the 30oz fuel bottle, add my 1oz/30ml of oil, shake, empty into my gas tank and bake.

my next goal - get the weight of tools off my back...really got heavy on my shoulders along with water. I'm curious if a fanny pack would eventually wiggle down...or maybe a handlebar bag w' the pro-taper hi-bend on a 7/8" (since it'll have a cross bar).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-18-16 at 01:42 AM.

fanny packs work but it depends what you stock it with. back in the day i always rode with a stacked one, never noticed it, although every piece you want to lighten if possible. always hated fender bags of any sort. shit just gets rodeo'd off eventually.

on your fueling, have you ever thought to install a Lectron carb? dial that shit in and you could potentially extend your mileage to mOOcho happi'O status.

maybe i missed it but what kind of mileage are you getting per tank now? phat dessert tank + Lectron could be a nice solution. especially since i assume you are at fairly even throttle application throughout.

Last edited by typeone; 12-19-16 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling, i guess
    Beta 200RR

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I'd come across some of the Beta folks who had gone the Lectron route on their Xtrainers. I'd never heard of them until recently. What are your general thoughts? You seem to be a fan...

CCS/LRRS #83

def a fan, awesome bit of kit, but not always needed.. .

i went Lectron on my last bike (Husky WR) because the stock Mikuni was incredibly finicky with temp or humidity changes. get it dialed crisp and perfect one day, goes to shit the next when temp changes and i'm talking way beyond air screw tweaks. the Lectron cleaned all that up and then some. i did mess with power jet tube length and metering rod variations but it was a night and day difference after some basic tuning.

overall Lectrons adjust to altitude and temp changes much better than a traditional carb. there aren't really 'three circuits/transitions' to tune and feel but more just one, smooth delivery of power. the fuel savings are freekish once dialed.

i loved the stock Keihin settings on my RR and have only made minor tweaks to ride that lean edge of power... for your XT, i'd imagine you're in a similar boat. if you don't need more powerband smoothness and nutty milage, prob not worth the change, they aren't cheap. plus they are still beta testing the injection stuff.

having said all that, i'd still throw one on my RR just to see how it would perform. i contemplate that over the winter when she's stripped, never during the riding season.

Beta 200RR