Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303141 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Re: street legal 2-strokes

I really am nowhere near touching the performance of the XT's engine, as "limited" as it may be. For what I use it for, which I think is what it was intended for... slow, technical "training" stuff and a bit of playing around doing anything... I've yet to have a single complaint on the engine front other than the sludge spewed from the exhaust joint (which I have since found is typical and solved with a zip tie). She's started, idled, ran, hot-re-started and been smooth as can be since day 1. I'm sure once I get more into enduro-style riding and faster paced stuff I will be singing a different tune. The question is, at that point I would I be better off getting a 2nd "enduro" bike that's setup for faster riding? Or mod the XT (from minor to the high end where a couple of grand gets you a really nice fork kit, and Fox rear shock) to do more of that kind of riding down the road? I suspect for that kind of riding I'm likely to opt for a dedicated rig and keep the XT for what she is... and for a play / lowspeed / trainer type bike it sounds like there wouldn't be a huge benefit from the Lectron.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by scottieducati; 12-20-16 at 05:54 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

once/if you outgrow the XT for trail/multi use, i would just remove the PV spacer, add an RR pipe, tune the PV spring and drop some cash on suspension. done. if the frame fits you well, all the other stuff can be tuned over time should you outgrown it due to speed.

Lectron won't gain you much, we don't have the altitude swings in the north east that other riders do.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Lifer

Where are you riding that you need much more power?

We went down to WV where the trails are really open and fast, almost fire roads. I came home dreaming of an upgrade to a 300 XC-W. Then I went back out in the New England woods and remembered the trails I ride are tight and reward a lighter machine over more power. Then I remembered that moar powah would just translate to more speed, of which I don't really feel much need for. (Have you seen my crash vids?!?)

I can't believe you'll "outgrow" that machine for rec riding anytime soon. I say invest in the suspension and ergonomics to make it completely yours. Maybe buy a set of carbs and needles for the various seasons. And spend the balance of whatever you have keeping her shod in the finest tires the land has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Maybe buy a set of carbs and needles for the various seasons.
    I swear I don't get you fancy Euro guys. I would think jets should suffice.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lifer

Sorry. I meant needles and jets.
    KTM book calls for swapping needles between full summer and Hoth modes.

Could do it your way and just buy spare bikes.

So all this talk about jetting and seasons and carbs and all got me talking to my buddy next door who's a hell of a woods racer. Between the two of us...plus his dad...plus his brother who is an expert moto crosser...we've owned roughly 35 or 40 two stroke dirt bikes, ridden them year round (including July motos in Southwick sand and February ice in
    Granville) for decades, and never changed a jet on a single one of em.

Shockingly, none of them has ever blown up from a fuel related reason, nor felt boggy or loaded up or down on power. Usually the bigger concern is wheel spin versus looping it.

Don't get me wrong; factory bikes that are jetted to perfection sound like they run a wee bit crisper, but in my experience, the only privateers with fingers that smell like gas and bikes that run like shit are the guys who willingly violate the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule when it comes to jetting. In other words, the trouble only starts when they start it by messing with it.

I guess my point is, if it ain't gonna blow up or run poorly (at all), and there is a possibility of making it worse, why bother?

I agree you can ride a generally tuned bike year round without issues, but even my ZRX1100 that is running like an absolute beast now (nice rip today!) shows that it could probably use getting leaned out in the warmer months. The dark tail pipe is also a clue. Sure you can ride something all the time, but jetting definitely makes a difference. Your state of tune overall impacts that a lot, and for now I'm leaving my XT stock in the engine department. Biggest change I'll do is go up a jet and move the needle if needed. Just haven't had the opportunity to get out on it in cold weather yet. I bet it'll rip, I suspect it's a little rich as is.

CCS/LRRS #83

For the 10 minutes and $15 it takes to change to a new main/idle jets and needle setup twice a year, it's cheap insurance that gives an added bonus of a better running, longer lasting bike.

If it wasn't important, the manufacturers wouldn't of given us those handy dandy charts to use.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Maybe I will mess with the jetting for ice riding this year now that I've jinxed my self to seizing the KTM

That's IF I'm lucky enough to be invited to some ice riding parties haha

(Btw, my KTM manual has a jetting chart for different conditions, but I don't remember seeing it in the manuals for many Hondas I owned)

If you look at Lectron carbs, be sure to look at Technology Elevated SmartCarbs. They are a further evolution/refinement of the tech and work DAMN well.

Lifer

You are the first person I've ever heard suggest to not bother rejetting for the large temperature and humidity swings we see here in New England. Most have told me the bike will lean out, which is extra bad for a 2-stroke. On my 200 I think the summer => winter delta is like 3 main sizes and calls for a different needle. Not a subtle change. I have no idea what the bike shipped with. Who knows, maybe it was in the middle. Bike has always run very well; started easy hot or cold. No problems.

My fingers smell, but not like gas.

Haha I knew the smelly fingers thing would generate some response.

I just think there is a hell of a lot of leeway with jetting. I actually have a jet sitting in my shop that I bought this summer after a local hotshoe (he is also the local rep for (I think?) MSR and a top expert in woods and moto for the past twenty years, in addition to motorcycle mechanic) told me that the recommended settings in the KTM manual are way, way off. He claimed that KTM told him they'd be changing their recommendations after trying "his" settings. I don't know how true that is, but he certainly knows a lot more than me.

Anyway, I bought it when I happened to be at the dealer, but the jet still sits brand new in its little envelope because the bike runs fine as is. At least it did when it was 20 degrees warmer than it is now...

Last edited by Imbeek; 12-21-16 at 12:07 PM.

I think for now I'm going to order up fork and shock springs in the correct rates for me, a JD jet kit, 30mm bar riser kit and a couple new spark plugs to have on hand. I may toss screws in my stock tires for the winter as I'm not a huge fan of them and was gonna get new tires anyway for next season. I think that outta get me to a good place...

CCS/LRRS #83

Lifer

Honest Q : Why a jet kit? Why not just a handful of jets from jetsrus or whatever?

The JD kits are calibrated through testing. The needles are often custom, or from other bikes, etc. Stumbling upon his settings might take a long time.

Paul_E_D

And it only comes with a few mains and needles...

CCS/LRRS #83

FWIW, I find jetting a ditrtbike to be a lot more than finding the right main jet. In fact, that doesn't seem to matter much at all. Pick a fat main and tune with the needle and pilot. 99 percent of the time, you are on the pilot/needle.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Ah, okay. I was confusing "JD" with "DJ" (or dynojet). I used a DJ kit on the DRZ and wasn't really impressed. Supposedly the needle is "custom" or some such.. but whatever. And it annoys me that the dynojet jets are not true to Mikuni sizes; there is this crazy cross conversion table you have to use. And the kit wasn't very flexible; I don't think it has enough range to cover the full weather spread we see here. ... Not that that bike sees a whole lot of cold weather use.

When I upgraded the carb I ordered genuine jets as needed per the settings others on the 'net shared and was rewarded with a bike that runs pretty well right out of the gate.

@scottie, the Beta charts are very good, might want to save some dough and just score the suggested fatter pilot/needle/main for the cold stuff. i would check what's in there first, not sure if Dave tweaks before delivery.

Beta 200RR

Thanks for the tip! Found the chart: street legal 2-strokes-beta-trainer-jetting-chart-jpg

CCS/LRRS #83

fix it till it breaks, boys

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

since we're in the wrong thread for any of this, i'll add more...

for the guys wanting to check out Lectron and SmartCarbs, also take a look at the Dial-a-jet and Intelajet stuff that's out there. pretty tempting to test. it basically adds Lectron/SC tech to the carb you already have. there is another product from KP Racing that replaces the guts of your existing carb with a metering block. nutty.

Beta 200RR

I'm still learning!!!

most of the dirty threads end up slightly derailing, but the info is still good

not sure what my range is exactly...the stupid odometer works like 2% of the time because the sensor isn't lined up perfectly with the brake rotor magnet bolt

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-22-16 at 02:31 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

so anyways - that KDX200 kick stand I bought a few months (or a year?) back did not fit...

so my ebay feed sent me an email on a '96 WR250 kick stand for $49 shipped - bought it right away!!!

will re-list that KDX kick stand because I do understand they are equally as rare

also went to a casting call today for a motorcycle movie - they asked me what my last big trip was - I told them about LA-B2V !!!

told them my next big trip will be a hybrid of street/dirt - adv style and just ride up the coast on and off road.

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    so anyways - that KDX200 kick stand I bought a few months (or a year?) back did not fit...

so my ebay feed sent me an email on a '96 WR250 kick stand for $49 shipped - bought it right away!!!

will re-list that KDX kick stand because I do understand they are equally as rare

also went to a casting call today for a motorcycle movie - they asked me what my last big trip was - I told them about LA-B2V !!!

told them my next big trip will be a hybrid of street/dirt - adv style and just ride up the coast on and off road.
    I would be a buyer on that

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief