Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 414151617181920212223242526272829303132333444 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    I'm not a new bike buyer, in general...I REALLY like buying bikes I can sell later for the same or more, so that throws another wrench into the works...that argues towards one of the bikes that haven't changed much over the years, like xr, dr, klx...plenty of them about there for under 3500 and flip able for the same.
    Welcome to the club, we had jackets made

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

pretty sure the last mechanic was lying to me...but *just in case* they misplace the form with the cylinder...

I tagged it w' my/bike info

then waiting to hear from them next week...

and

not quite what I was expecting...the cage inside kinda looks like stock

oh well...I'll throw it in and see how it does...still haven't pulled the motor...got fam visiting, then Vegas...so this looks like a June thing

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Thanks for all the info. I read all 23 pages already, and Paul's thread too, both good reads!

I'll stumble onto something I bet. No intention of riding the xc to Canada, but when I think of the trails close by and accessible by road, I don't know why I haven't plated it already. I could get dual sport lights, tires, and gearing for the xc, maybe a bigger tank, and use it for limited range dual sport (within 7 miles on back roads). It would still be great in the woods, and I could put the cash towards a pure motocross bike.

Lifer

I dunno. The 250L underwhelms me. MORE weight than my DRZ and LESS power. Yeah, it's a fuel injected Honda. But the DRZ is effing bulletproof. How much more bulletproofer do you really need in life?

The beauty of the old tech 4t jap dual sports is that you can run them forever on an oil change, fit them with crap DOT rubber that won't melt on the pavement, beat the everloving piss out of them... and not feel bad about trashing your nice woods toy. Seriously, it's worth having a dual-sport beater.

What is your budget?

I would not put much effort into plating a KTM 2t. I would not plan on street riding it much. And I probably wouldn't even think of doing it on an XC (XC-W maybe).

Really, I think if you want a highly capable dual-sport, you need to be looking at the newer Euro EFI 350's.. like the Huzer Chipper recently switched to. There's a does everything bike.

An alternative is the older KTM 450 EXCs. Half the TTD instructors and staff have those now. I've ridden a nicely prep'ed one that was bought for a song. It's a helluva nice bike in all respects.

But no, I would not expect to do a lot of road time on a 250 XC and be happy. Even if they are dirt roads.

My budget? I dunno. I could go pretty high...to me that means over five grand...IF i thought I could get my money back on the other end...obviously, the more you spend for a bike that's going off road, the more unlikely it is to get your money back out. It's not a litmus test either, so I don't mean ALL MY MONEY back out. But it rules out dumping ten grand plus on a new orange bike. Im knee deep in drz400 research right now. Friend that does the organized dual sport rides around here says it's the most popular bike. Whaddya want for that klx? (Just read the whole thread where you found that bike, too)

Lifer

DRZ is a fine beater. Big fun machine, as long as you keep your expectations in check. Crap deal new, but great used. The easy SM conversion path is a sweetner IMO.
    HUGE fun on dirt roads and unmaintained forest roads. Notsomuch on real trails. All about your expectations.

I haven't picked a sale price yet. Every time I ride I remember it costs me next to nothing to keep.

My target for a straight DRZ400S/KLX400SR would be about $2k. Maybe more for an E, I guess.

IMO sometimes its about what the bike does for you, not necessarily what it will cost you. If the budget supports I'd strongly consider a KTM; carb'ed 450 to keep the budget tight, EFI 350 is your pockets are deeper. Much more capable, still DS'able.

Ok, if you think you wanna dump yours, lemme know soonish...

Lifer

I've dumped mine many times

Just get a R1200GS-A and call it a day. Or a Honda Trail 50. There is no in between.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

At the least, I may as well get my 250xc road registered, even if it will suck on the street. Sales tax was already paid when I got the title in my name and its already been street registered in mass, so it shouldnt cost much. From what I'm seeing on craigslist, registering it for the street should roughly double the bike's value (LOL j/k, kinda). Then, if I can make it to the woods and still have some fuel left, it should be better in the woods than most every bike I'm seeing that people want five grand plus for.

I'm still looking, if anyone knows of a decent dual sport for sale...

Lifer

Wait till fall. Prices fall then. Just like any other bike out there.
    IMO the real costs of plating are making it pass inspection. If you don't care much about that it is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Just get a Honda Trail 50 and call it a day.
    I recommend a Trail 70, you'll grow out of the 50 too soon.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Wait till fall. Prices fall then. Just like any other bike out there.
    Yeah, it is admittedly so rookie-ish to be looking now. This is the time of year I'm supposed to SELL bikes, not buy em.

So comical, four radically differently-purposed bikes in my garage already (touring, track/sportbike, hooligan street bike, mx/woods) and not only am I unwilling to sell any of those, but I "need" another...

You have a problem. Not enough variety.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    I recommend a Trail 70, you'll grow out of the 50 too soon.
    Trail 90 with the secondary high/low gearbox.

I want the one with foldable handle bars so I can sneak it into concerts

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    You have a problem. Not enough variety.
    And only one of each? Amateur..

I am going against the grain because I had like 15 at one time but I say only by as many bikes that are actually going to get used. When I had 15 4 of them needed work and got ignored and honestly I only rode 3. My happy medium now is actually two because I've combined sportbike and touring and commuting into the dl650 and hooligan riding track riding Motocross desert trails in the YZ250. The dl650 is ridden daily if not almost daily and the YZ comes out maybe once to twice a week

Edit: Google on cars says "it depends"

Too big - low rpm too rich, slower acceleration, less efficient of fuel atomization

Too small - lose some top end, can run lean

So I will keep it the same for now...and I think that jetting/needle changes can help all the rich/lean conditions of a different size carb anyhow, so maybe in the future.

Rebuild, porting, and WR transmission first!

So, the 92 WR shipped with a 36mm Mikuni, 93 or 94 they moved to a Keihin, I don't remember if it was a 36 or 38. Typically 250 two stroke MX machines ship with 38mm carbs now. You can go to a 36mm to fatten the low end slightly at the expense of top end, but with the low end grunt I've got with a modern 38mm on my WR... why?

Yeah I also figured "why?"

Ported cylinder is going to make way more low end than before with a stellar top end...how much more do I need at the expense of losing what makes a 2 stroke so sexy?

The one big benefit of going whole hog, 36mm lectron style (I like SmartCarbs) is improved fuel economy... given you like distance that might be worth chasing down the road.

At what point will you have invested the cost of a decent used modern EFI 350-500cc dual sport?

Keep it low-buck, reliable and as close to stock as makes sense.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 05-09-17 at 12:57 PM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

If it's similar in age and abuse level as mine was, the carb is likely due to be tossed anyways as the casting will be worn beyond serviceability. I fought jetting on my Mikuni for WAY to long before realizing the slide was a proverbial hotdog down a hallway in the bore. Plus, happily jetted two stroke is not an experience any efi thumper can replicate.

eek...didn't think carbs wore out

but my bike starts 3rd kick/choke...turn choke off, then bike runs freaking amazing unless I run out of coolant...so I'll hold onto it for now

@iglu - dunno about cost...the entry price point in CA for a plated modern thumper KTM/husky/beta is a huge turn off for me ($4,500-$10,000...no thanks!). The price point I got into the bike + 2 rebuilds is still under what a newer bike costs (even assuming similar "maintenance" of wear items - tires, brakes, gas blah).

Seriously just liking the bike though
    1.) Different - every ride people are wide eyed over a plated 2 stroke
    2.) high performance - WOT on the pipe attacking whoops with 40ish hp with 220lbs wet is bitchen. I ride with KTM 450's/525's/CRF450x's and I hang fine (if not pass them). Has a lot more to do with the rider. "cheaper" for me to just learn the bike more than just get a newer bike.
    3.) Plate + MX bike = can do MX, open desert, single track, urban hoon riding, hill climbs, supermoto track, flat track, trail riding the mountains, LA-B2V.
    4.) I have a lot of goodies -> 2 sets of wheels, 2 motors, 4 cylinders, desert tank/MX tank.
    5.) "simple" tech -> mostly all service (minus crank) can be done at home with basic hand tools
    6.) WAY easier to start when hot in the desert or cold for LAB2V mornings. Tons of guys on high compression thumpers and dead batteries on the morning we left barstow were paddle walking their bikes up an incline in all their gear hoping to bump start it. If I ever need to bump start, pushing 220lbs ain't so bad (including the push into the truck).
    7.) had it 3 years...I'm "in sync" with the light switch power they call a 2-stroke.

yeah...I just like it

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-09-17 at 06:46 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: