Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71718192021222324252627

street legal 2-strokes

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Re: street legal 2-strokes

Xmas day with no work = test ride bike before desert run Thursday

getting a little more saddle time is helping me get more familiar with the bike again, but the WR gearing is still kinda wacky...I can't seem to find the "right" gear anymore...so mostly just 2nd/3rd

also, my rear shock is toast. It's so bouncy I can't track any of the darn power. 2018 will definitely include a mailing to PK (finally!)

Today: pull off tank, check all radiator hoses, engine bolts for tightness, tighten clutch perch, and double check all body fasteners before heading out to Husky Monument Wednesday. Need roughly 85ish miles...so going to bring a 1 gallon dromedary bag and fill the tank 30 miles into the ride.

miscellaneous urban street art

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-25-17 at 08:25 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    2007 Suzuki DL650
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram/snapchat @cali2smoke

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

guess what has 2 thumbs and LOVED THE WIDE RATIO TRANSMISSION IN THE DESERT!

so great...it worked everywhere...being able to stretch her legs and cruise in 5th, mild throttle (mostly off the pipe), with 1 clip raised, on open sections also netted me 35mpg!

and I don't know what mad speed you go in 5th gear on the pipe on a dry lake bed, but it is way too fast for me and I don't want anything to do with it

I was afraid that in the rocky hill climbs (not super steep/long), I'd have an issue downshifting 3rd/2nd to stay in the power band...it was a little different, but honestly perfectly adequate. Having to make quick shifts in preparation for whoops or a sudden drop into a hill climb was no issue.

Went up US 395 to Kramer Junction, rode to the Husky Monument over some atv-wide desert roads, some trails, some hills, and some long sand wash section (4th gear is 'nuff!). Then went around some mountains and through some crazy rolling hills, into some smoother, flowing trails, onto smooth power lines and back to the truck. Probably covered 100 miles or so...

thought I had the major stuff sorted...now the front brakes are squeaking...pads are kinda okay, but looks like the system needs fresh pads and a bleed.

Also still need to mount the hour meter, measure compression, check the plug, re-pack the silencer, check all the hose clamps on the cooling system, and maybe take a peep at the piston to see how she's smokin.

4 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-28-17 at 02:10 AM.
    2007 Suzuki DL650

iTrader Score
    7 (100%)

awesome! sunset pic is rad

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 250RR

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

the young kids and their cell phones just see filtered pics of actual sunsets...I am glad to see it with my own eyes

Took her out for street shake down run...still runs and doesn't leak, so that's a good thing

but I need a better way to monitor things...this bike gives no warning before blowing up. So I'm going to start checking the plug, inspect all the case joints/hose clamps for leaks, and maybe start measuring the compression from time to time.

soooooo...it's going to rain Monday/Tuesday...which *may* mean snow in the mountains...and Tuesday is the right day. Unfortunately I'm work Tuesday...so I may try to sneak out Wednesday AM and see if any of it hasn't melted. I checked the clearance on the tire, and there is barely 1/4-1/2" of clearance above the knobs...there is no way I can run a tapcon screw from the inside out! I may try fitting the 18" rim and see if it helps me out...I also have a smaller (45 vs 48) tooth sprocket on that rim, so I can move the rim back a bit.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-06-18 at 08:05 PM.
    2007 Suzuki DL650

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

okay, I did it LOL...bring an extra pair of socks. MX boots are not waterproof. And yes, I was glad to come back to sunshine after

it wasn't really much of a "storm" compared to back home in Massachusetts...just roughly 6" or so...streets plowed/sanded/melting/clear within a day

but still, street traction seemed questionable...wet, hard knobbies on sand or slush seemed like a recipe for a quick trip to the pavement

one issue I had was finding a spot - the equivalent of a big, open, flat area covered in snow. Not much exists like that up here in the mountains, so I picked a fire road that led to a campsite and staged at the end.

to my surprise, it was already plowed/groomed the day before...so I wasn't cutting any fresh trails here

it was rideable, but the front tire was ALL OVER the place...forget about touching the front brake...and it would randomly steer in directions you wouldn't expect...and once it started sliding sideways (front AND rear) into the rut, steering and braking were gone, and you were on your way down...immediately. Arm pump galore, and I had a tough time finding a neutral balance point on the bike...I mostly sat with my head over the bars so I could wag the back around...1st/2nd gear max.

if I wanted to be more serious here, studding the front with long enough screws to stick the front (so likely tapcon screws) would be important on trails...not sure screws would do the trick (but I haven't tried...so I dunno)

melting snow meant many slush puddles...I rolled them slowly to keep me dry and keep from rutting up the trail

found a slightly larger area to fool around in

and went for the cut through fresh snow

this was thicker than the fresh east coast snow I remember...so it felt like riding through ridiculously thick sand. WOT 2nd gear on the pipe and moving slow...

I had a tough time keeping her upright when parked...what seemed like a firm surface soon turned soft and dumped the bike onto its side. Lucky for me, no controls broke, but I need metal wrap-around hand guards. Bike was tougher to start after the tip overs (which makes sense...bowl probably emptied) and I somehow ended up breaking the strap on my headlight...so I zip tied her up and headed back.

exclusively from a comfort/fun standpoint (cost excluded) - I would have preferred to be on 4 wheels

Oh well...got it out of my system...the YZ has officially seen snow.

Back to the sun...maybe surf before dinner?

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-10-18 at 09:06 PM.
    2007 Suzuki DL650