Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112132343 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

@ Kurlon - you'd be interested in the wheels if I bought the bike?

frame - no...CHP will do a VIN check of the registration against the frame if ever pulled over (and this bike screams for attention)

@ slowkermit - I'm always on CL! with the exception of the plated smoker, I pick up anything if it's a good enough deal. Then I let friends ride the extra bike...teach kids to ride it...don't drop a dime into rebuilding it...then a few months later I clean it up and flip it

the 2000 YZ250 was eight (can sell for around twelve) and the 2005 DRZ110 was five (can sell for around eight)

riding dirtbikes as a hobby always costs money...

if you buy good enough deals, you could be makin' money!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-29-14 at 09:54 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I want the whole thing so I can slot my motor and carb into it plus have a ton of spares. Hell, I'd have an 'A' bike and 'B' bike at that point, plus spares. My wife would hate me.

That said, I have no play money to invest in the WReck at the moment.

ha, you don't need that bike or a street plate

you just need to find *any* older yz250

or just make an offer to this guy:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/4482943929.html

Street plate would be cool, and what I REALLY want is a current gen YZ with a completely destroyed motor so I can hang my 265 in it.

oh baby...I offered $1,600 in cash on the YZ250...and he took it...looks like I'm getting another bike

then I'm gonna sell the rims..and the extra tank...gonna see how far I can go selling off the spares.

@ Kurlon - any idea which other bikes those rims will fit?

old bike front rims are usually only worth $40 on fleabay, but I'm hoping a straight rear rim will be my money shot. Trying to find some on fleabay to assess the value...but I don't see any

the better question now...do I sell the KDX200 or keep both bikes?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-29-14 at 11:38 PM.

IIRC
    Front: 92 to 95 YZ125 / YZ250 and 92 to 97 WR250R
    Rear: 90 to 98 YZ125 / YZ250, 91 to 97 WR250R, 92 to 93 WR500R, 1998 YZ400F, 1998 WR400

The rims themselves aren't the value, the hubs are. What shape are those in? Can you remove the bearings by turning the wheel over and shaking, cracks, spoke bores oval'd, rotor and sprocket bosses stripped?

it's hard to say, but honestly it doesn't matter...found a couple dirt rear rims for a yz125 and they go for ~$75 on fleabay

if I list the rims for a long time, I'd be looking at ~$100-$120 to sell both of them...might as well keep 'em at that price

ordered up a $50 brake/taillight for the KDX and $31 headlight...once those are hooked up, I'll be able to take it down the street and see how I like it

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-30-14 at 10:18 AM.

giggity

street legal 2-strokes-yz250-jpg

street legal 2-strokes-yz250-jpg

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-01-14 at 08:47 PM.

Yarp, hate you right about now...

If you're going to use the YZ for street use, try to find a roached 90's WR engine to do a transmission swap with, you'll get a wider spread of gears so you won't have to scream the YZ as much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-YAMAHA-...48f838&vxp=mtr ?

Last edited by Kurlon; 07-01-14 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    If you want a Cali plated smoker, expect to pay.
    That is all.
    Ps: they SUCK going down the road.
    This. Friend of mine had a KX250 that was converted to a trendy super moto.
    Ran out of gas? Lol.
    Smooth ride? Lol.

Give me a 90s 4 stroke on/off road (DRZ, XT etc) any day.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garrett; 07-01-14 at 08:50 PM.
    Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

no f that

not going on 300 mile rides. this is for:

1.) down the street (long beach roads ~40mph)

2.) fire roads that are 25 min from work (will truck bike to work)

not looking for smooth anything...it's a damn dirtbike...where are the gravel roads and single track at?

desert tank for ~80-100 mile range

all real street duty is on the FZR:

it's all relative, but even a big dirtbike (DR650) sucks for me at 80mph...any freeway = I'd rather be on a streetbike

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Yarp, hate you right about now...

If you're going to use the YZ for street use, try to find a roached 90's WR engine to do a transmission swap with, you'll get a wider spread of gears so you won't have to scream the YZ as much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-YAMAHA-...48f838&vxp=mtr ?
    it's coo...I'm guessing the KDX has a wide ratio transmission...and the "sportsman" wheels are likely getting the smallest sprocket I can fit without having to put on a different chain

whenever ya wanna visit cali, send the wife and kids to disney...you can ride the yz and we'll go shred the desert

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-01-14 at 09:06 PM.

Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

ahhhh...lovvvvve this thing

needed some fresh chicken and cilantro to make lunch for tomorrow

grocery run!!

it also doesn't have any functional lights, lol...might as well have been on a straight MX bike

anyone knows if the baja designs kit has a lighting stator in there somewhere?

the previous seller gave me a charger...so I'm guessing it's a temporary charged DC circuit or something

I need to pull off all the plastics to figure out if I can at least get a headlight going

and it looks like a POS rat bike...sort of want to leave it that way so people are less likely to jack it, ha

If they put a WR stator plate and flywheel on it it'll put out 30w AC when wound out, you'll have a single yellow wire coming out of the bundle from behind the flywheel cover. IIRC Baja did not sell an add-on stator for that generation machine. There are replacement WR stators that can provide 40w to 70w depending on who you believe.

lol @ "who you believe"...stator output is like gas mileage...everyone's optimistic about what they really have

I can see why this should never be street legal...there is nothing safe about riding this bike down the street...but WOT into "the pipe" in 3rd and she'll power wheelie

hmm...I checked around the stator cover and didn't see anything, except what looked like the factory wiring that was headed towards the ignition coils...I'm willing to bet that there is no baja stator of any sort in there.

if so, it's just gonna be a plug-into-the-battery sort of kit...and that actually might be pretty great. Get a new battery, use all the existing components; see if I can substitute LED anywhere and everywhere I can. Then I don't have to dump $150 into lighting it up.

saw this factory FX graphics kit for $36

clean up the plastics, put on a black seat cover, new graphics kit...and she could clean up real nice

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-02-14 at 12:09 AM.

The yellow wire will be in that bundle headed towards the CDI/coils. Pop the cover off, it's easy enough to see if there is one coil or two hiding in there.

Does this bike (or did it ever) have a headlight? Ive gotta believe if there's a headlight you've got a stator with at least some power output.

'96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

So, you'll spend $40 for stickers, and probably $50 for a seat cover, but not $60 more than both of those for regular lighting?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

@ Triple - yes it does have a headlight! but not, it did not come with one originally...

@ Kurlon - I dunno...pulled off the stator cover, but didn't have a flywheel puller

this sort of looks like an OEM mx stator wire to me:

and I did not see a yellow wire in there...

hard to see in this pic, but peeking through the flywheel, there was only one coil in the upper right hand corner of the stator layout:

I did pop the seat off and found a battery in the airbox...I just need to sit down one day and follow everything...I found the charging lead for the battery (with the connector broken off, of course), and bare wires for the rear turn signals, brake, and tail light...but the fuse is intact, so hopefully no shorts I have to figure out

@ Chipper - you are banned.

I've declared this thread:

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-02-14 at 12:36 PM.

So yeah, charging coil isn't present. Cheap enough to add, I think the YZ stator plate includes the mounts, you'd just have to pop the flywheel, bolt it in and run the wire out the existing cord chase.

tried hooking up a charger to the battery - no signs of life...

I want to sit down and tear through this bike to figure it ou...but this stupid work thing is getting in my way!!!

gonna ride it after work on Friday...heading up to a mountain peak to see if I can catch any fireworks from above

K - 30W A/C doesn't seem like much (the headlights are 35w/35w to begin with)...which makes me think that an OEM WR coil might not be worth it...plus don't you lose a lot of power when you rectify it to D/C?

I'm going to try and figure out the current battery/light situation that's on there...maybe run the wiring cleaner and start labeling shit...if it doesn't work, I'm definitely going to need a bigger stator than 30w

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/lighti...ting-coil.html

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-02-14 at 01:52 PM.

I wouldn't put an OEM coil into it, get one of the beefier aftermarket units. A) They won't be 20 years old and partially fried, and B) The cost less new than an OEM unit. Same setup as that hotter coil I found for your KDX, it's a single unit, bolts on, they aren't very expensive. Even if it doesn't put out enough to charge, it'll slow the drain on your battery extending the run time.

Baja will rewind a WR stator for 60w to 70w of output. That seems to be about the best option I can find. Not cheap though.

Last edited by Kurlon; 07-02-14 at 02:31 PM.

5:05pm - leave work
    5:10pm - leave del taco

5:35pm - arrive at staging area

nice and close...I can get riding right after work

my friend rolls in 2-up for dirt

he re-geared his WR250, and busted the master link installing it...I tell him not to worry, but determined to come, he uses his gf's bike and comes 2-up. That's commitment!

bike is f'n AWEEEESOMMMEEE!!

felt good to ride a fire road on an actual dirtbike rather than a dual sport...WOT 3rd gear on the pipe, hold on!

we rode to the mountain peak to watch the fireworks from above...turns out we weren't the only ones planning on that:

jeep guy: "Oh hey! We could hear you from way over there!" (points to next mountain top)

I couldn't get my lights to work in time, so I clipped on a mountain bike light for the ride down...hilarious mistake.

I couldn't see shit...I had my friend ride ahead so that he could illuminate the road...bombing down a mountain fire road in pitch black is by far the sketchiest thing I've done on a dirt bike

but bike is the tits...gotta fix the lights though, and can't wait to try it with the "sportsman" setup!!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-05-14 at 05:04 PM.

yup, this thing is going to kill me

was in 5th gear heading up a paved "hill" on street...leaned back, pinned it, heading over crest of hill...front wheel came up and engine rpm's scream as rear wheel caught air

it's weird though...even after a few mins of warm up, idling, it's like the exhaust valve is sticking or something...it won't "get on the pipe" the first 50 feet after leaving the driveway...gotta let go, get into 2nd/3rd and wake her up before she starts to scream...once warmed up, she's fine.

definitely needs a go through...besides basic maintenance, I wanted to do the top end ASAP for insurance

and someone DOES make an MX style fender that flows well with the 90 KDX!!

swear that I saw it on fredette's website...just gotta find out more

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-08-14 at 02:17 AM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    it's weird though...even after a few mins of warm up, idling, it's like the exhaust valve is sticking or something...it won't "get on the pipe" the first 50 feet after leaving the driveway...gotta let go, get into 2nd/3rd and wake her up before she starts to scream...once warmed up, she's fine.

definitely needs a go through...besides basic maintenance, I wanted to do the top end ASAP for insurance
    I found that behavior quite common on power-valved 2-strokes. The valve parts get quite gummed up by the 2-stroke oil. After some heat melts the gunk, things start working. This is a good indicator that your power valve needs to be cleaned.