Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I can smash on the linkage bearings with a steel hammer and sockets but may actively destroy something on the way
    make your own bearing press, super easy and cheap, there are plenty of how-to's out there.

pullers aren't as easy to make but some auto parts stores rent blind-hole and other pullers that may work... if you even need one.

EDIT: and you don't need a garage, just a table with a sheet of cardboard as your work area after you remove the parts from the bike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by typeone; 07-16-18 at 09:10 AM.
    Beta 200RR

Hmm...let me see what I can do

But shock is back!!

I was told that the shock was in remarkably good shape for its age as most sharks are pretty beat at this point that are on bikes over 20 years old . Specifically the body was in good shape . Spring rate is 5.2. The service included a new seal piston service a bumper was installed oil recharge and re-valve for dual sport. I threw them an extra 30 bucks and bought them donuts

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

looks minty ... now throw it back on and measure your sag

Beta 200RR

working on it now!!

can't wait to ride this thing...never serviced the shock in the 4 years/thousands of miles I've ridden it...gonna feel like a new bike

hoping to get some saddle time after work this weekend in Cleveland National Forest! I may even load up my bike tomorrow so that I will have the bike loaded up, and ready to ride two days later on Saturday

also - in regards to the 1996 linkage resembling a devoll linkage - can you swap it in?

no, you can not

the dogbone length is different...and the knuckle has a different mounting spot (although it will fit into the shock eyelet)

the mechanic that did the shock was also aware of the devoll linkage and said it helped quite a bit...but he mentioned that swapping anything out meant changing the valving the match as quite a bit of dynamics are altered with the linkage. Best I stick to stock and learn a $15 lesson instead of a $500 one.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-18-18 at 11:12 PM.

okay, shock is in!

unfortunately I can't find my service manual so I don't know the torque numbers for the shock bolts...I have read 33-38ft lbs from other bikes, so I used 33 for now and will look around for the manual

I was so excited to see a difference, that without the tank/seat/exhaust mounted, I stood on it and gave it a peg bounce, and rolled it off a familiar curb - no more oscillations, and bike feels nice and firm!

I tried to measure some sag, but reading up it does me no good without the bike fully loaded up, and me completely geared up. It also sucks without a second person...if I had to guess the static sag is roughly 25mm and the race sag is roughly 74mm without anything on it. I will get it all loaded up and check again.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-18-18 at 11:17 PM.

Found the service manual, shock torqued up!

Rushed to get everything back together and went for an urban rip!

First impressions:
    -Seat feel - firm. I am so used to the bike squatting when I sat on it. Now it only does a little bit
    - Street feel - waaaaay more planted. Before rolling on the gas compressed the suspension and “absorbed” some of the power delivery. Now it feels like the power is translated directly to the ground like a newer bike! Would love to try on a super moto track
    -dirt traction - better, but still pretty slippery (as expected).
    -dirt handling - better, more controlled, but still needs to get dialed in
    -dirt jumping - took the same jump in Long Beach and got bucked off the back - not enough rebound damping

20 minute rip on urban gravel did not say much...I will zip over to so fireroads in Cleveland National Forest tomorrow to set my sag and clickers!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-20-18 at 03:36 PM.

So, just learned this myself - Sometimes it's not a lack of rebound damping in the rear that causes the bike to boot you in the butt over a jump. Depending on the lip shape, you may need more than just 'maint' throttle as you go over to clear the jump without nose diving if it's got a kicker to it. The tabletop at Boxshop has been doing that to me, now I roll throttle on as I go over to lighten the front end, when I do it right, all is perfect. Too little and the bike tries to buck me off. Too much and it's 12'o clock time! (I know tapping the front brake will correct that, my brain hasn't turned that into habit yet.) Try some other jumps before playing with the adjustments.

Hmm...this may be also true...went to a different spot today for testing and realized I don’t even remember how to ride dirty. Flow was way off...trouble riding easy stuff...tried to jump and it happened again...bucked off the back. Clickers won’t do me any good until I get familiar riding again

But similar to its street behavior, and akin to the 20,000+ miles I put on in the last year or so, I had my smooth gravel road game on fleek

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-21-18 at 09:39 PM.

hmmm....about Pismo

from what I've heard/read - it beats up on bikes
    1.) salt water/moisture in the air is like driving down a salted new england road in winter - it corrodes anything with exposed metal - spokes, hubs, chains, etc.
    2.) sand riding is particularly hard on motors - WFO will wear down on it
    3.) sand gets in through the seals - linkage, shock, wheel bearings
    4.) culture of quad tards vs. dirt bikes is not friendly - if you break down, the attitude is "go buy a quad"

I had read that WD40 helps to fend off the salt water, so here is my plan -

1.) break down bike by hand - hand wipe WD40 over all exposed metal - touch up paint on any spots worn down to metal - spray WD40 layer on spokes/swing arm/bolts right before ride - avoid riding in the ocean - car wash right after...fresh air filter + skin + change filter afterwards
    2.) check compression before going - rings/piston if necessary...coolant change...and don't ride WFO the whole time - higher gear/off the pipe as much as possible
    3.) wait to do my shock/linkage/wheel bearings until after
    4.) ride w' my noob friends on the beginner area on the dunes - maybe 1 spin along the beach (15mph limit) for the 'gram...2 hours to check it out 9am-11am then they will get tired. not going to spend a weekend of WFO and blowing up the bike...just to "see the dunes once in your life"

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-24-18 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    So, just learned this myself - Sometimes it's not a lack of rebound damping in the rear that causes the bike to boot you in the butt over a jump. .
    Correct...tried the same jump again...steady 3rd gear off the pipe with steady throttle and I got in the air without bucking off the back...although the rear did kick sideways a little (which probably didn’t look as cool as it felt ) and the garbage man nearby by looked a little surprised when he saw a bike approaching on the other side of a fence then suddenly launch

So yes, I need more saddle time...it’s not the bike, it’s the rider

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-01-18 at 01:34 PM.

Man breezy night rides when the daytime weather is 86 feel so damn good...plus when it’s hot, people stay home watch TV with the fan/AC on so 10pm (relatively) empty streets mean I am out mobbing and ripping as the 2 stroke engine screams in the night

Did another grocery run for smoothie veggies...still wish I had a Vstrom for this

But then again, 2nd ride this week...some riding is better than no riding. Plated bike is life

Aaaand, putting the bike in diagonally, I needed maybe an inch to close the tailgate...so if you lean the bike over you get that inch and it fits!! Easier to park and use the bed to store stuff without worry of it falling out of the back.

But is there any risk of the forks twisting in the clamps if it’s angled like that?

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    But is there any risk of the forks twisting in the clamps if it’s angled like that?
    Depends. Are you keeping some maintenance throttle applied in the truck when you hit bumps and such?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

The F150 needs to slow down over any sort of bump

Having the bike in the truck all the time feels somewhat convenient...when I went to the OC fair I saved $10 on parking by dropping the truck off and riding in (free moto parking)...I always have the bike ready to ride after work...and when I needed to get a tire mounted, it doubled as a work station/stand as I pulled the wheel off

Axle still adequately greased from my last service too :

I also read that paddle tires tear apart mud flaps, but honestly the 100/90-19 looks smaller than the 110/90-19 knobbie that is on there

From what I have read a 6 paddle floats better than an 8 paddle and is less load on the motor...generally speaking 125t/250f should just run a 6 paddle due to load and any 250t/450f can safely run an 8 paddle...to be safe, I will be running a lower load 6 paddle tire ...and hey, it was free

Furthermore, (in the f150) that extra inch I needed to get the bike in diagonally could very much come from removing the plastic duraliner and just painting on a bed liner...that way the bike sits in the bed without pushing hard against the tailgate or anything else.

Could I just always leave the bike in the bed?

It’s chained into a D-ring

Edit: Bummer - my sister is visiting last minute...no Pismo

She does want to see me surf tho

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-07-18 at 03:57 PM.

Family gone, Zion done (btw, I want to go back with the bike!), got an early shift, and did a local spot rip...hit 4 spots with a GS and it was plenty of riding for an afternoon...ended it on the beach.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-28-18 at 09:43 PM.

an 80/20 tire honestly felt/slipped about the same as a h/t knobby on hard pack gravel ha

grip it n rip it #urbanoffroad

eww

I want to take a day and do all the basic maintenance, then get the bike over to the mechanic to inspect the rest of the motor before LAB2V...seeing Zion reminded me that any full weekend or individual day off, I should be out riding and exploring

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-30-18 at 11:30 PM.

For the first time in years, I brought an MX bike to an MX track...boo-ya

Took awhile to get comfortable...goal nowadays is to practice good body position, be loose, and get into a flow on the track - not big air. Most beginner tracks suit this nicely as all the jumps are table tops. Testing out the serviced rear shock confirms that it doesn’t make the bike “easy” to ride like the 03 450F on an mx track. Oh well, it was still fun...I slow AF...

and I managed a pic for the gram

sent it

Maybe I just need to watch MX instructional videos and get more saddle time?

Also, fun fact - in the 90’s when crusty demons came out, they used my bike for big air!

edit: played around with different gopro filming angles on my buddy - add metal, and you look faster

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-17-18 at 12:21 PM.

finally rode pismo!

it's a cool little beach town...unlike desert riding spots, all the major big chain items are within 4-6 miles from the dunes.

I WD-40 the rims/hub/spokes/frame, had the paddle tire mounted in town (4 miles from the beach is a motorsports shop), and gave it a whirl

first 5 min ride the paddle was hitting the mud guard too much...came back and adjusted the chain as much as I could, and it cleared the mud guard looking at it, but still chewed it away a little

low speeds kinda sucked more than a knobby...bike is super bumpy on the paddle and it's hard to keep balance.

but once you hit a good speed in 3rd - front tire floats and it's' smooth

wide ratio rocked...I mostly left it in 3rd/4th off the pipe, then just revved it to climb hills and clear sections

definitely want to be careful in dunes - watch ahead and don't come into blind sections too quickly or you could just randomly drop 40 feet

rear shock was very good in the dune whoops

I also caught some waves!

I power washed the bike as I was leaving...going to pull off body parts and wipe down any sand

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-10-18 at 11:02 AM.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

so like... you have a day job right ???

hmmmm......

haha, yeah I am in healthcare and work every other weekend, so I get mid week days off...last week I was at 50+ hours & a ceiling was caving in on one of the rentals, so this week I made sure to get away at the first opportunity. Worked a 10hr shift, loaded up, and drove 3 hours to get to Pismo so I could ride the next morning.

it's about an hour north of santa barbara and you can rent quads any day of the week

Have an old bike long enough and it will act up somewhere

So after 4 years my front brake system is giving me issues - pressure builds up after 4-5 mins and locks up

Cracker the bleeder to roll it home, but needed a re pressure release on the next try

Going to bleed the line and inspect the pistons

Clean the master, you've got crap in the piston blocking the bleed/release port.

Bingo!

Bled the line - still having issues
    Pulled off caliper - cleaned everything, removed pads and gently pulled lever - pistons move properly and not corroded
    Cleaned and greased the brake pins - still having issues

Removed the master off the brake line, cleaned the F out of it, fresh brake fluid, made sure bubbles came out of the bleed/release port (it’s a tiny hole), bleed, test ride and ready!

Pala MX track on Tuesday

hmm...one of my friends took a candid pic of me while I was cinching the bike down

and it actually looks kind of good

#style

#squidshow

almost a month later, bike still starts first kick

then just pushing it to the curb, the front brake lever felt sticky, and the wheel locked up again cracking the bleeder didn't help...so pulled the lever off, hosed it in carb cleaner, greased the pivot and the lever...and it worked. I guess not greasing the pivot for 4 years will catch up to ya

did some wheelies and rear tire lock ups...got tailed by a cop for a bit and lots of thumbs up from guys at IMS. Being in MA for a week reminded me that there is so much in my backyard. I need to get out the desert and ride.

EDIT: REPPIN BOSTON AT LA-B2V 2017

I am the one in the parking lot with the bilt hi-vis vest at 2:41

Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-18-18 at 03:51 PM.