Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 14242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

sometimes ya gotta send it

the goldentyre did well on rocky/embedded hardpack

got from the start of the dirt section to 4 corners in 12 mins again

gate to the peak was closed, but this little handlebar bag was perfect for a wallet, keys, and cell phone!

next weekend - jetski saturday afternoon, bike maintenance saturday evening, street bike ride to Julian/palomar on Sunday

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-01-19 at 05:55 PM.

that gate looks super difficult to get around on a bike how do you like that bar bag? been thinking of getting one but the price seems stupid. everytime i look at it i'm like, 'yeah, i'll just sew one'... and never do

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

oh, and, true Jet Ski?

Beta 200RR

the tire tracks around the gate agree

people here in CA always want to go where they're not supposed to...I'm aight. just want to ride...

but the bag is solid! it just barely fits a phone/wallet/keys (which is all I need) & has an inside mesh pocket for items that I don't want to accidentally get pulled out. I've tried adapting things like bicycle handlebar bags, but none of them have properly engineered straps (and durability) for 7/8" handlebars w' the cross bar. I rarely pay the premium for purpose built stuff, and at $50 I've also hesitated, but I used it a lot and regret all the years I've had to take off my backpack to access my phone. my friends are training me to ask: "what are your check boxes? what do you need? okay, we'll find a deal on the one you want" vs. "hey this bicycle bag is on sale, I will adapt it for my use."

and yes, actual jetski

friends have talked about it for years...& still 75ish on the beach. Plan is to canyon ride in the AM and jetski in the afternoon

meanwhile in MA...my dirt bike track lines are still there!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-03-19 at 10:49 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

man...from 2 weeks ago...HILARIOUS

not enough speed to start/insufficient momentum

rpm's too low/improper use of clutch

poorly setup suspension/bars all over the place

poor line selection

and wtf are there random wheelies in the middle?

would have been super easy on an XR200R/KDX200

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-07-19 at 01:49 PM.

okay, next steps:
    -Wednesday - buy/mount a Starcross Sand for pismo, WD40 the frame for pismo, install new battery, spot headlight
    -Saturday: run the 18" rear, ride near work
    -Sunday: swap 18" for 19" rim w' paddle after work, add dune flag
    -19th: maybe ATV florida
    -25th: Pismo
    ***have 3bro's KTM do the top end, swingarm bearings, linkage bearings***
    -Oct 19th: shakedown ride #1: 160 mile desert day
    -Nov 1st/2nd: shakedown ride #2
    -Nov 9th/10th: night run after work
    -Nov 16th: shakedown ride #3
    -Nov 23rd/24th: night run after work/final bike prep

-Nov 29th: LA-Barstow to Vegas!!

Do you have a fresh cylinder ready to go, or are you crossing your fingers that 3bros won't say you're worn and due for a replate? How many hours/miles do you have on that top end?

I calculated conservatively 130ish hours based on my ride reports, and December 2017ish I did:
    -new crank (well rebuilt)
    -cylinder replated
    -new piston/rings etc.

So at 130 hours, I am not expecting a re-plate. Bike runs fine as-is with 150+ psi compression. This is more for preventative maintenance, and also inspection purposes.

If it does need a re-plate, I have a spare, and would use this as an excuse to have the “mo-Betta” porting from Milennium

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-09-19 at 05:22 PM.

no bites on a cheap sand tire, so rode out & bought new

Goal: Pismo on the 24th, & again early next year, then just run the sand tire at Glamis/Dumont dunes. I am not experienced enough in sand to make great use of an actual paddle tire, so a sand tire will be my happy medium to cruise around. Donate the paddle #doNOTsendit

rim & tire dropped off today; will mount on bike next Monday night, & just park the bike until Pismo

backup 18" rim w' 90/10 dual sport tire going on for this Sunday. Since it's 30 mins slab, I get to test the a more street oriented tire on the local fire road.

edit - one of the guys in the local Facebook group saw me

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-14-19 at 06:46 AM.

did my post-work zing up through Cleveland National Forest (CNF)

the 45t = better cruising at 65-70...90/10 tire definitely easier to ride on pavement, and no problem putting up the hill...but when you are WOT on the pipe in 3rd and the bike is sideways and you are praying it will hook up a little so you don't do a spectacular low side at 40mph, it's a problem. I'd rather stick to the thickest knobbies I can find with a DOT stamp. I can ride them fine on pavement, you just ride more carefully/upright and it will wear more quickly.

rode w' the Garmin - nice to see speed/odo

my post work loop is:
    -17ish miles of slab each way
    -5ish miles of dirt up each way
    ------------------------------------
    45ish miles round trip

I may start riding Trabuco soon after work since it's dark by 7ish. Trabuco creek road closer, less slab, all flat but only 3ish miles of dirt

I need to also load some US maps on there...right now it's jut a blank screen with a line

man, those santa ana winds made for some beautiful skies

bike washed, topped off the gas, and started packing my gear....just needs a dune flag & this mounted, and after a quick trip to FL, I should be ready for pismo!

time to test a sand tire

ugh...my friends are on me again...I may need to buy in October so I can do a break in, shake down run, install a big tank, and setup luggage for spare tube/tools

1.) FE350
    2.) 390RR
    3.) 350 EXC

which one would ya pick??

my check boxes at this time are pretty simple - reliable, e-start, set to do the big desert loop (150-200 miles), lightest dirt-biased/performance dual sport (no DRZ400/WR250R/XT225/TTR250/DR650/XR650L/KLR650)...seems like all three of those bikes check those boxes

Saw a zero mile '18 FE350 for $8800

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-18-19 at 11:09 PM.

okay, talked to some more people...it's really hard to say for sure which bike is best, they are REALLY close, and both exceptional bikes

-the 350EXC: the PDS potential advantage/disadvantage - is questionable on what constitutes "the best" - any suspension tuner can make changes to the valving to perform similar to the other bike. Riding the bikes back to back, it could just be the clicker/sag setup. They are both pretty good, but high level comparisons would generally regard it as stiffer
    -power wise: both bikes are also pretty smiliar, but husky *may* be marginally be more linear and controlled. Motogeo video says it has a mapping switch
    -ride feel - again, high level, the husky may feel a little more "connected"...again, could be the tires or suspension.

other than that, pick your favorite color and dealer...can't go wrong with either one

Everide:

"european machines are an absolute blast"

he wrote off the KTM because it's more of a dirt bike than a dual sport

he describes the FE 350 as a legit dual sport

on road: by dual sport standards, it's a good bike on the road. 0-60 in 5-6 seconds, looks good, doesn't have many issues until 75mph (with still power to go)

dirt: mild mannered genius in the slow stuff, and when you crack it open..."wow" 450 power in the upper rpm's...the Everide guy got it for $9k and threw $1k for mods.

"one of the best dirt biased dual sports on the market"...responsive, glorious, but the suspension won't let you be lazy. it will pogo and kick you off if you aren't careful. Non-linear front brake - nothing, nothing, nothing, then full kung fu death grip. Tricky in sandy sections. Possibly a quick tune away from being remedied. He also talks about how the chase bike was a near stock '02 DRZ400s was able to pretty much keep up...and I sort of agree. 90% the time I can hang with any recreational dual sport rider on my YZ except for the retired desert racers in their 50's on their super tricked out bikes. "It's the rider, not the bike"

I'm trying to go against all my mental training being Indian...I'm headed down to 3 bro's KTM on Thursday to discuss what I've outlined here.

the dune flag mount is a little thick - even without a washer, the "lock tabs" part of the lock nut doesn't thread all the way. the mechanic was a little iffy about letting it go, but I ran it last time no problem, and I can re-check torque every hour and bring a spare

sand tire, dune flag, ready to go...charging my gopro/Garmin and loading up my gear tonight after work, so we can jet after work tomorrow

Safety wire it.

Well the nut stayed on just fine, the flag ripped off in 5 mins...it somehow got stuck under the rear wheel and it was gone

Okay, I am at the dealer for the FE350...$11,124 out the door + $2,000ish for tires (the oem ones suck apparently), ultra heavy duty tubes, and the bigger tank (only 3.1 gallons!?), a small tool pack installed on the tail for a spare tube/irons & the oem tool kit, and $700 for a 42 month warranty. Total is $13,100ish and I am the bank now grabbing cash. Never bought any vehicles new, so no idea how much to put down I figured half ?? Then just pay it off in 2 months

The financing came back at 0.99% x36 months, and he said I could put 0% down and finance the entire bike, warranty, and all the add ons. He said a good balance is put down $3,000 and finance the rest.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-26-19 at 07:07 PM.

Who are you and what have you done with the cheap ass skinflint we all know and love?!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I love this thread. Congrats dude! Hard to say "no" when they're giving money away, ain't it?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

‘Murcia!

here is the new LA-B2V bike new thread here

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-26-19 at 07:25 PM.

husky's still at the dealer getting tank/tires/UHD tubes/etc.

but man, summer is really over

I only hit trabuco creek road after work since it's getting dark so early...it's definitely closer (15 mins vs. 30 mins), but it's literally a 3 mile groomed county fire road

and man, when riding at night, I REALLY, really want a long distance, spot light.

If you can't see far enough ahead, you have to slow down a lot.

I've been using a $12 amazon LED head light, and:
    1.) it has more distance then the $18 flood light on the bike
    2.) it's nice having visibility where you turn your head
    3.) it's not bright enough for super long distances

this is perfect for loading the bike into the bed at night, but for riding, I may consider the cyclops or the tusk

for the first time since 2014ish when I had FC do the forks, I played with the clickers. Wow...why have I let the bike beat me up so bad after all these years? 2 clicks actually softened it up a bit

Trabuco Creek Road during the day!

just 3 miles of county road, are all that's open

it was graded/paved last year, and it's smooth and slick

after you pass the big tree in the middle, it gets a little more like the fire road, like it had been in the past

the big mud/donut hole from last year-ish has been graded over

acess to the side trails have always been prohibited; but just now enforced (I believe due to illegal dumping)

and once the county road turns into the Cleveland National Forest road, the gate prohibits any further access towards "holy jim" (holy jim fire station, hiking trail, etc. etc.)

so yeah...still boring as ever...next ride will be the '19 FE350 with a cyclops bulb, so hopefully it's enough light to night run from Maple Springs...then 2 more long desert runs, 2 more post-work forest runs, then LA-B2V!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-29-19 at 11:48 PM.

Lifer

Congratulations on the new bike! You are going to love it. A headlight upgrade was the single most important mod on my 2012 350. I started with an Osram 65w H-7 bulb upgrade kit from pmxtec.com (for $50.99), and eventually ended up upgrading the entire front end with a 2017 style fender and headlight, which took a different bulb (H4). I ended up installing a fan cooled H4 LED bulb (from Amazon) in the '17 mask - and the installation was not easy, or clean, but the output is pretty good now. I have been running it that way for 2 years without any issues.

saw this on a craigslist bike

...so here's the obscure background: in the old school Eric Gorr 2 stroke rebuilding guide he briefly mentions that the 93-95 YZ250 has a patented "Yamahop"...the linkage has a "high rising rate", and swapping out the OEM linkage w' the Devoll linkage fixes that. How? no idea...but the scavenger intarwebs YZ250 owners are hunting for it. I emailed Devol at one point, but they said they hadn't made that linkage in yers. Doubt he'd sell this separately, but interested to see if it's similar to the 1996 linkage that I got off ebay.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-22-19 at 03:06 PM.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Doubt he'd sell this separately, but interested to see if it's similar to the 1996 linkage that I got off ebay.
    You could buy the whole thing, swap in the standard parts and then sell the standard parts and you would be left with the linkage you desire