Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 16262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

Rode local for 3ish hours...

you can kinda see the new plate location...I stood behind it & it looked clear enough...maybe even more after I sit on it.

Just need to move the light or throw on a CRF250X tail/brake light

I was still fighting the bike when I started riding, but each short break helped me to loosen up

by the end of the day I was back in the groove

turning the clickers all the way out helped the forks in rocky sections,

it's softer, so it doesn't "shock" your body with initial impact. It also doesn't "bounce" off the rocks as much as it absorbs it, and tracks more straight as a result. Not sure if that's what I'd worry about bottoming out in desert whoops in the desert, but we will see soon and I'll just change the clickers position depending on the riding I'm doing to dial it in.

the new MotoZ tractionator just went on, so the 19" rim goes back on next...will try the 14 or 13t front at that time

when the cylinder comes, I'll take all the plastics off, hand clean the engine/frame, and clean off any potential surface rust/cancer spots and put a little paint or bed liner

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-05-20 at 10:08 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by millennium
    Millennium Technologies maintains extremely high standards for our services. Unfortunately, your part will require additional work to pass our quality control standards and we would not feel comfortable returning a part that was not perfect.

Your part will be run back through our system until it meets our standards, free of charge. Unfortunately, this will extend the lead time. You will receive an email as soon as your part ships with a tracking number. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us
    I called and there were no outstanding notes; so it was just likely a bubble or some imperfection from the plating process. Maybe delay it a day or two.

Assuming you guys are subscribed to Everride - 2 strokes are fun off road!

Okay, okay...real talk, my YZ doesn’t apply here. Rephrased: a 2017 KTM 300 will feel fun off road, if your main bike is a DRZ400

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-11-20 at 01:23 PM.

got the 19" rim mounted w' a fresh motoZ

then the bike fell before I loaded it and I bent the clutch lever...need to put on the Cycra ProBend asap

19? why the switch?

Beta 200RR

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    19? why the switch?
    Going to guess his spare wheel that he had a tire for?

^ this - I bought a brand new MotoZ right before I got the FE, so might as well turn it and burn it

And honestly, I dunno what the difference is supposed to feel like not sure If the 18” with bigger sidewall really translates to more flex or whatever

I also like having 2 rims with different style tires so I can swap them in 15-20 mins or so...a dedicated road tire is a cheap mans supermoto and a a flat track tire (they don’t allow knobbies)

got it ... as for the difference, i just assumed an 18 with taller sidewall would be better for your desert terrain, 19 easier to pinch on rock if you use tubes. i've pinched a few 19's at the track on exposed rock in ruts. not much meat before you hit rim.

Motoz have nice stiff sidewalls though.

Beta 200RR

The crazier part is I have always run an UHD tube with 14-15psi and never had a pinch flat

I carry a spare front tube, irons, a high efficiency hand pump, trail stand, a couple C02 cartridges to start the tube, and am just waiting for the day I need it

I have also seen a straight through puncture on a tubliss system

I also thought about Nitro Mousse inserts, but they overheat on slab pavement...maybe in 2-3 generations it will be ideal

Cylinder shipped! Ported cylinder test coming soon!!

yes, it's always a weird random nip that gets ya ... i keep Snausages in my tool pack for the TUbliss rear, low pressures are a blessing, until they're not

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

agreed! for the guys that love the tubliss, they often bring a spare tube just in case (and I've seen the swap happen in the middle of the desert)

**EDIT 3/1** my buddy just got a nail through his UHD tube, and his spare tube was pretty old and also failed after 12 miles...reminder to keep a fresh spare tube! Not worth getting a 2nf flat to save $20

hey Kurlon - notice any part about this ad that's unique?

try to connect (or link up) the dots

this also came!!

to be honest, I can't tell the difference between stock and ported just looking at it

from what I understand you can't do much to the intake ports, and the exhaust ports don't look much different in size or shape from stock

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-01-20 at 04:59 AM.

When does the linkage arrive?

ding! ding! ding! (or should I say, ring, ding, ding?)

it arrives Friday!...but it's a way later project...

before that - clean the bike up, swap bent clutch lever, install cycra pro bend hand guards, move taillight above fender, swap cylinder/piston/rings, install hour meter, swing arm/linkage bearings w' WR250 swingarm swap, then maybe think about re-valving the rear with the linkage. squeeze in a few rides before the broiler turns on out in the desert...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-26-20 at 09:37 PM.

(later post - this was Wednesday)

supposed to rain so I took a quick local cruise...

YZ work is getting pushed back a couple weeks

definitely need to get rides in for April/May though...once June hits the desert's too hot again for 5 months

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-14-20 at 12:47 AM.

(this was Thursday)

ehh, having the shop push in the bearings into the WR swingarm...then get the linkage bearings done...and button all that back together...then put in the ported cylinder

since the DeVol linkage will likely need re-valving, I'll wait on that for a minute

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-14-20 at 12:47 AM.

moto social media is going nuts bragging about "social distancing" is what we normally do...uhm, okay

meanwhile the rain closed the major nearby mountain fire road, so I did the shorter fire road...but there were tons of 4x4's blahhh...so much for social distancing

while I was out there, I scooted up the short hill jaunts...haven't been up here in a minute

...like 2015 was the last time...

but not sure I wanted to risk getting stuck since those conditions change a lot...maybe I'll go up a little farther up next week

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-16-20 at 06:00 PM.

oh ya, this was done awhile ago...

I at the shop a little...they just have a plastic tote on the floor, and an 8.5x11 paper that says "please social distance"

they're open for business as usual and don't seem to GAF

since Kurlon said I have to re-valve the rear shock if I'm using the Devol linkage, I'll just push new bearings pushed into the stock linkage first, then the next time I get the shock serviced I'll get the valving to match.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-01-20 at 10:50 PM.

digging through old footage...this was a fun section

I remember going out that day in 80-90 degree heat for a mellow 4-5hr ride (w' breaks) and almost considered skipping

let this be a reminder that we don't know what tomorrow holds...get on whatever rides you can!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-05-20 at 03:21 PM.

COVID-19: has this really impacted dirt riding much?

big rides: once every 1-2 months? (during desert season) small rides 1-3x/month? so not really...

meanwhile...I'm doing my part to stay home, so I'm just doing non-riding activities...maintenance and cleaning

on the facebook groups I found a guy who's 1994 YZ250 was stolen, and he lost all the plastics after he got his bike back...he was in search of inexpensive parts to get riding again, so I did some digging and found a full set:

found a bunch of nic-nacs too and mailed them out for shipping

used old bike plastics are worth zero/were going in the trash, so if they get re-used, great!

besides, I need to get rid of the spare stuff...if I haven't used it in a year, I should really sell it or give it away.

I don't remember how, at this point, but I actually have 4 cylinders?

1.) good condition/150ish hr, currently on the bike w' power valve bits
    2.) brand new re-plate/ported cylinder w' power valve bits
    3.) 1 trashed cylinder w' metal bits everywhere w' out power valve bits (the original)
    4.) 1 pretty worn out cylinder w' 91ish yz250 damaged power valves - sleeved cylinder

I'm thinking I can sell off the last one or two at least

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-16-20 at 06:47 PM.

(the following will be mostly targeted at Kurlon)

Quote Originally Posted by eric gorr
    The 1996 model features a new chassis with a shock linkage system similar to the DeVol design."
    How do they compare?

-everything looks like it'll line up and bolt in
    -the knuckle has a similar shape
    -the dog bone length is different. When I talked to Devol, they told me the height of the bike is supposed to stay the same.

so for future readers who have stumbled upon a 1994 YZ250, the 1996 linkage is out.

However: what exactly does the DeVol linkage do on this bike?

Quote Originally Posted by DeVol Engineering
    The rear shock behavior is initially smoother and the linkage helps to softens out the curve.
    he said he actually got a few calls over the past few months and although they're slammed now, they were considering putting out a batch of these if there's enough demand since they did get a call or two on them over the past few months. I told them if they wanted this linkage/knuckle to get measurements I'd be happy to send it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gorr
    The stock chasis has a shock linkage system with a high rising rate ratio. This makes the rear end handle harshly when accelerating out of turns...
    DeVol Engineering has developed a rear suspension linkage kit. The kit improves the rear suspension by eliminating the mid-speed damping spike caused when going in and out of turns. DeVol changed the linkage ratio curve to be more linear. This reduces the shock shaft speed to a range where the stock shock can be adjusted to handle the braking and acceleration bumps.
    But what does this mean? "stock shock can be adjusted to handle braking and acceleration bumps"

with the clickers? or with a revalve?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-23-20 at 01:42 PM.

So, out of the crate the YZ setup has two problems:

1) Very high rising rate, if you were to remove the springs/empty the shock so it didn't resist movement, grab the rear axle and pull up on the swingarm at a fixed rate, you'd see the shock compress faster and faster as the swingarm moves up. On road racers you tend to go for a steady rate setup, so that no matter where the swingarm is in it's travel, damping will be the same. Road bikes are rising rate, so as you compress the rear it stiffens up, motocrossers slightly higher rate to deal with jumps/etc. On that range of YZ though they got the curve wrong, it's way too steep.

2) Overall shock shaft speed is too high throughout the swingarm motion. Shocks have a range of shaft speeds where they can effectively function, above which you're no longer getting controlled damping and instead just blowing through shim stacks, oil locking, etc, aka not a good time.

So by changing the linkage geometry the Devol link tamps down the rate curve, and also slows the overall shock shaft speed. This is why you need to get the shock revalved after changing the linkage out.

PK will be along shortly to beat me up for getting it all wrong.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    So, out of the crate the YZ setup has two problems:

1) Very high rising rate, if you were to remove the springs/empty the shock so it didn't resist movement, grab the rear axle and pull up on the swingarm at a fixed rate, you'd see the shock compress faster and faster as the swingarm moves up. On road racers you tend to go for a steady rate setup, so that no matter where the swingarm is in it's travel, damping will be the same. Road bikes are rising rate, so as you compress the rear it stiffens up, motocrossers slightly higher rate to deal with jumps/etc. On that range of YZ though they got the curve wrong, it's way too steep.

2) Overall shock shaft speed is too high throughout the swingarm motion. Shocks have a range of shaft speeds where they can effectively function, above which you're no longer getting controlled damping and instead just blowing through shim stacks, oil locking, etc, aka not a good time.

So by changing the linkage geometry the Devol link tamps down the rate curve, and also slows the overall shock shaft speed. This is why you need to get the shock revalved after changing the linkage out.

PK will be along shortly to beat me up for getting it all wrong.
    You likely know better than I, but I interpreted Devol's response as implying the shock shaft speed was too fast near the end of the stroke such that the suspension clickers had essentially no impact. Even wide open, it'd still be trying to move too much fluid. Making the curve more linear means the clickers now have some impact on the final part of the stroke. I think you've more or less said the same thing, but I guess I'm not sure this means it needs a revolve. Just means the factory tune should work correctly now.

Last edited by aldend123; 04-23-20 at 02:17 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

if at the beginning of its stroke (small bumps) the damping rate is linear...but as you hit bigger bumps (whoops/jumps) the damping rate increases too quickly, does that mean the linkage mostly makes a difference at higher speeds over bigger rocks, jumps, and WOT whoops?

and low speed/fire road bumps/rocks should feel about the same?

but wow, yes seems like there's a lot of factors being affected here...re-valve seems like it's a must to get the maximum intended usage...need to call some suspension shops that understand what I'm trying to do here

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    if at the beginning of its stroke (small bumps) the damping rate is linear...but as you hit bigger bumps (whoops/jumps) the damping rate increases too quickly, does that mean the linkage mostly makes a difference at higher speeds over bigger rocks, jumps, and WOT whoops?

and low speed/fire road bumps/rocks should feel about the same?
    Right. The linkage is going to have the most effect in the later part of the travel, which is usually faster/harsher/square hits. Think rocks that look like a curb. Harsh whoops, or significant acceleration/braking bumps at either end of a turn. Or if you're jumping to flat. If you're jumping to a good landing, then likely no.
    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    but wow, yes seems like there's a lot of factors being affected here...re-valve seems like it's a must to get the maximum intended usage...need to call some suspension shops that understand what I'm trying to do here
    Don't forget that a huge factor is seat time. Need to know what's going on under you, and how to decipher what you're feeling. And less than ideal form or riding style could be incorrectly attributed to a setup issue. Be sure to ride it more than you fuck with it

nedirtriders.com

gotcha...kinda wish I could have tried both setups back to back

and 100% on that seat time...I think Gary Semics talked about first in his videos

at this point since the Rona is nixing the riding (personal choice), I'm going to focus on maintenance/mods that I don't necessarily need to do, but rather want to.

...like this WR swing arm swap + oem kickstand

check out how much wider the stance is vs. the swing arm kickstand! can't wait

edit:
    -bike days this week: Tuesday and Saturday
    -Tuesday: cleaning/inspection - power wash, strip parts off/clean, order up any missing fasteners, clean air filter, plan next project
    -Saturday: re-pack muffler, maybe transmission oil change, new grips, coolant change?, install Cycra ProBend hand guards
    -Sunday: tighten spokes, clean/lube chain, maybe consider top end?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-27-20 at 10:11 AM.

still covid cleaning/maintaining

muffler re-packed...it was really bad, but now it sounds less raspy

air filter cleaned/lubed

still need to clean the caked up dirt on the back of the engine/front of the swing arm, then I can swap the WR swinger

GeoMoto ADV does Weds SoCal hump day rides, starting at 5:30pm in Temecula - would want better lighting for that

Squadron Sport: only 26W?

no idea what my stator has, but guessing 30-35w from whatever coil was installed in the 90's...I can run an 18w LED full blast no problem; maybe I can swap in the Squadron w' one of those boxy BD shells? maybe...also way, way later

in the mean time, a Cyclops helmet light (currently OOS...so maybe Tusk? or Oxbow? latter two have gopro mounts - can swap out the session w' a helmet light once it gets dark since the camera sucks at night anyways)

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-17-20 at 12:16 AM.