Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314152545 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

got a brand new JT sprockets 45t rear from the previous seller..going to try that first, then gear down to a 42t once that's toast

my ebay auto-search sent me an email about graphics...thirty-nine bucks for these:

went on bike pics to see what it would do...even with a 90's purple frame, I think it'll look pretty sweet!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-11-14 at 12:11 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

yoooo Kurlon - are the yz250 front fork axle threads known to be soft?

if so...I just stripped mine while swapping rims...m'fer

I'm going to try and re-tap it, but any other suggestions besides a replacement set of forks?

edit: found a thread on thumpertalk for a '92 WR250

92 WR250 - Front end options - Yamaha 2-Stroke - ThumperTalk

something like this won't work?

Irwin 1755 ZR M16 x 1 5 Metric 16mm Carbon Steel Plug Tap 4FL USA Made 1 50 RH | eBay

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-15-14 at 10:43 PM.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    If you only mucked up the first few threads then that tap might clean them up enough to allow it to work. More likely would be that you would need a thread repair kit of the proper size. As Josh mentioned in his post on Thumpertalk the cost of the kit could be spent to upgrade.

I would ask the machine shop at work if they had one I could buy/borrow to do the single repair I needed to do. You working in medicine may not have a machine shop at work to ask. I'm sure that there are machine shops near you that might either fix it relatively inexpensively or let you use their kit if you paid them to.

I scored a used kit off eBay, did the repair and it's holding up. I'm fairly certain I didn't get it perfectly square as my brake pad wear is funky. I'd try the used forks route first, or find a machine shop that can make sure they get the heli-coil in square.

I didn't make it too far...so hopefully it is just the threads in the front.

but the threads go all the way through the bottom of the fork - is there any benefit in running the tap in the opposite direction? or will it cut through the "good" threads on its way through the fork to fix the bad ones?

or can I run a grade 8 M16 x 1.5 long bolt all the way through?

I just setup an ebay feed for used forks...when I was selling the rm ones, I couldn't even get more than $60 for 'em, so I'm hoping the yz ones of that era are of the same pricing range

otherwise...I needed to add a non-existent brake/taillight and got the CG one for ~$34 shipped

it's TINY!

it's def. cheap; wires are really thin and not really long enough to reinforce the rear fender...so I will be adding my own creation at some point:

the old one was actually pretty beefy!

previous seller also had a 45t rear sprocket he was going to use on his 18" WR250 "sportsman" rim...he gave it to me 5 months after purchase:

sprocket nuts/bolts/washers are actually expensive...would've cost me ~$65+ to buy them! went to fleabay and found a used set for $10

mounted...looks funny as one solid piece, ha

going to need a new battery (~$40 from baja designs), waiting on that M16 tap, some turn signals from CG, and it will be properly road legal...going to try her in the canyons!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-16-14 at 12:09 AM.

In my case, there weren't any revivable threads left. You can't use a tap to make a hole smaller.

yeahhh I know...just hoping it would "clean up" the threads and line it up to get the axle in

I eventually see myself getting another set of forks...I plan on swapping wheels often to go from dirt to sportsman, so I will want the best threads I can get

In that case, pay to have it heli-coiled. Steel threads last MUCH longer than cast aluminum.

Lifer

Would this help: New 131pc Stripped Thread Rethread Helicoil Repair Kit M5 M6 M8 M10 M12 Metric | eBay

Rada pointed me at this set. I've unfortunately already had to use it.

nah, too small...but I'm thinking delegate this job out due to accuracy...I can try to drill it out myself, but if I'm not perfectly straight, it won't sit right

if you can find someone with a drill press and then clamp the fork leg to the table of the press you should be able to get it square. Doing it by hand not so easy to be 100% square.

I did mine with a drill press. The challenge is the lack of any good square to the axle surfaces to align the jaws of the clamp with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I did mine with a drill press. The challenge is the lack of any good square to the axle surfaces to align the jaws of the clamp with.
    Ahhhh I see. I would think there would be something flat to grab but can understand that there might not be. They like to smooth out the edges in the castings.

If you could get a clamp around the slider of the fork leg that wouldn't damage the surface you should be able to square up the threads/hole. As you have mentioned though it may be better to pay someone or cheaper to find used.

I called a machine shop - he has an solid insert (not a heli-coil); he can do it for $85

deal?

but one thing I don't get - if I am paying someone to do it, aren't they just going to have the same difficulty lining it up in a drill press as a friend?

deal?

but one thing I don't get - if I am paying someone to do it, aren't they just going to have the same difficulty lining it up in a drill press as a friend?
    Deal? Better than screwing it up yourself and having to pay more to get it done later.

The thing that a machine shop has over a friend is typically experience. Hopefully the shop you found has been doing this type of thing for a while and knows their stuff. Also, hopefully they will stand behind their work.

works for me...come to think of it, I don't even have a friend out here with a drill press!

$85 is less than buying a Helicoil. The one thing to make certain of with an insert is that it doesn't impact the mating surface between the slider and the wheel spacer. Cause that surface to sit up or be recessed because of the insert flange and you've just compounded your troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Deal? Better than screwing it up yourself and having to pay more to get it done later.

The thing that a machine shop has over a friend is typically experience. Hopefully the shop you found has been doing this type of thing for a while and knows their stuff. Also, hopefully they will stand behind their work.
    This. Plus, a machine shop is probably going to do it on a mill and/or they have a table that will hold whatever you have at an angle nice and securely.

I had my small-block Chevy heads drilled, reamed & tapped so that I could remove the press-fit studs and fit screw-in studs. The stud holes are at a strange angle and I was nervous about doing it myself. The machine shop (NASCO in Saco, ME) did such a good job you can hardly tell it's not factory.

sprocket nuts/bolts/washers are actually expensive...would've cost me ~$65+ to buy them! went to fleabay and found a used set for $10

huh? that dude took you for a ride most kits are like $10 - $15 new. i've used Bolt and Pro-X in the past, worked fine. you really should use new bolts every time, especially since you're riding this bike on the street.

Beta 200RR

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    Dude, that didn't show up in his RSS feed search for sprocket bolts +(every dirt bike ever made)! And definitely change those bolts with a new sprocket, my bike's PO didn't and it trashed my sprocket, chain, hub, and swingarm.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

wow...breakdirt search fail, LOL

in for one!!

and RSS feeds are the way to go! search smarter not harder!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-17-14 at 04:04 PM.

when one bike fails, ride your other one

just rained out here in socal...went into the forest to hook up into some windy smooth woodsy single track

(reminds of of the beaver pond loop in NE...minus the rocks)

taking a bath

obligatory whoolie

man oh man...I loooooooooooove dirt bikes...I keep getting into a work/sleep funk...then I break free on a dirt ride and it recharges me!

and to be honest, I don't really like, nor am I good at motocross/jumps...trails are where it's at!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-20-14 at 12:28 AM.

went to Gorman for some more dirt riding...

the plated 2-stroke needs the axle threads heli-coiled, so I was back on the forum beginner bike: DR200SE

just rained, so conditions were considered "good" by socal standards - trails were soft and settled

then saw a rare socal commodity: MUD!

started w' shallow puddles:

and got to deeper stuff:

hey, that doesn't look so deep...

let's try it!

NOPE! bad idea!

mud keeps getting deeper and I might swamp the carbs...go! go! go!

phew...made it!!

like my new front tire?

special mud edition

mmmMMMMMmmm...a used set of forks for ~100-$125 is looking prrrrettty good right now

I also asked some friends - some recommended calling dirtbike suspension shops because they likely may have done a similar repair before

my birthday is January 3rd...might head out to Vegas on the 1st after work to get hammered/gamble, then go dirt ride on the 2nd to explore before Gino comes out...I sort of want my plated smoker instead of the off-road only bike

edit: got called in to cover an extra shift in San Diego 2 hour drive for me...worked it, got paid to ride my FZR there and back...so my paycheck will be a little fatter than usual...that's a good enough reason to impulse buy forks from ebay, right?

arghhh...one set is $62 right now...but I'm not 100% sure they fit a '94...I just messaged the seller...if it matches, I'll take 'em.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-23-14 at 11:31 AM.