Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181929 ... LastLast

street legal 2-strokes

Re: street legal 2-strokes

cleared a few!

figure I don't need to store messages to Stoneman about NESR hats anymore...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

just got back from a desert trip to 29 Palms!

@ kurlon - any recs on a banjo bolt brake switch?

and how do I know the size (pitch/thread)?

sometimes they print it on the microfiche and I tried google, but only got this bolt parts list:

https://store.mettec.com/category/250

if I had go guess, I'd say I'm pretty safe with M10 - 1.25

if so, 5 star reviews on this one:

Amazon.com: Goodridge BL Banjo Bolts With Built-In Pressure Switch - Single Bleed - 10mm x 1.25 PBL992-32CH: Automotive

going on the rear...won't need a low-profile because there is plenty of clearance...just need a way to make sure the wires won't rip out (gonna leave slack and use wire plastci type guides), are protected (split look tubing), and the tail is reinforced (how?) because on the last desert trip = lost plate!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-12-15 at 12:14 AM.

I cheat, I go to a hardware store if I don't have comparison banjos handy and look at known bolts / threads, plus I have a caliper I can measure the thread count per unit with. I want to say there are some common size/pitch combos you tend to see by brand, but damn if I can recall them at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    if I had go guess, I'd say I'm pretty safe with M10 - 1.25
    I'd agree with you. I think that M10x1.25 is the standard for Nissin brakes. Product description for the tusk brake switch from RMATV suggest the same.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...-Nissin-Brakes

'96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

good enough for me...

in for 1

gonna put an LED flasher for the brake too

farking loooooooooove this bike

headed to Ocotillo Wells this weekend fo' mo' dez

in the mean time I hit up laooonnngg beach dirt spot and getting closer to the 12-o'clockin' club on the ride home

got asked to work Saturday...skipped dez, got home from work, and...

FUN FUN FUN!!!!!

Got a visitor this time - he lives about 25 mins away, just wanted to test his bike before driving 2 hours to the desert

got that classic 426 glow!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-28-15 at 10:15 PM.

dropped off fleabay forks @ FC to swap lower fork lug

just sold the RM85 to free up some room in the garage...so the MC hammer smoker is ready to get torn down a bit

I am buying the Tusk LED tail/brake light:

just need to find a way to re-inforce the tail because it bounces a LOT

going to add a banjo brake switch for the brake light...

new front brake guides (both snapped during high speed desert impact), fasteners, and installing new top end and battery tender connector...maybe start r&r for bearings by doing the wheels.

Adding a $13 LED fog/driving light (into the high beam) onto the baja designs light...then going to find a way to aim it down because it's currently useless...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-02-15 at 07:34 PM.

2T's, contrary to popular belief, can be great street machines if set up right, (gearing ect) I've ridden the wheels off my 300exc with zero issues, only routine maintenance (top ends). Like it so much, found a 380 and doing an engine swap as we speak

My headlights truly suck but I rarely ride at night, its an easy fix, but I really don't need it.

My .02

Pete

I wonder how the EG 330 kit compares to the old 380 mill? The snowbike guys are loving the 330 setup.

Lifer

There's no way street riding a 2-stroke makes any sense here in the US. No gas stations provide oil. So you'd have to carry your own. Fine if your idea of riding is around town. Not so much for anything more than that.
    Maybe if there were more options out there with oil injection, like that new Beta trainer thing.

In NZ I noticed many (all?) gas stations had a little steel cabinet with oil and stuff to mix right there at the pumps.

Last edited by nhbubba; 04-05-15 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I wonder how the EG 330 kit compares to the old 380 mill? The snowbike guys are loving the 330 setup.
    That's a great question, I'd like to hear some feedback on the 330 kit as my 300 needs a top end anyhow.

The bigger question is how the 410 kit lives in the 380 as the 380 is already a pretty crazy motor

Pete

@ Peterz -

THAT IS FRIGGEN SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

the 300exc is by far the overall 2-stroke street bike of my choice...it just has all the right power everywhere to be the most versatile but still capable of all the lightweight dirt capable fun off road

unfortunately it is not possible in CA where I live...so that's a dream for another state!

I've been re-watching this video recently and dreaming about it regardless:

is that rear rim any bigger than the front or is it just the angle in the picture?

and I don't know anything about the overbore kits for a 300...although a 410 sounds absolutely nuts!!! might it need a different midpipe by then??

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    @ Peterz -

THAT IS FRIGGEN SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

the 300exc is by far the overall 2-stroke street bike of my choice...it just has all the right power everywhere to be the most versatile but still capable of all the lightweight dirt capable fun off road

unfortunately it is not possible in CA where I live...so that's a dream for another state!

I've been re-watching this video recently and dreaming about it regardless:

is that rear rim any bigger than the front or is it just the angle in the picture?

and I don't know anything about the overbore kits for a 300...although a 410 sounds absolutely nuts!!! might it need a different midpipe by then??
    Thanks man... Your right, the 300 is a fantastic engine, the 380 is very much like a 300 on steroids, it rips...

I have 17's front and rear, just camera angle makes it look funky...

Definitely not freeway machines, but that's not why I own motorcycles... I buzz around with measured amounts of oil for those longer trips

Pete

How big of a tank does it have?

I also don't use mine for long rides (have a separate street bike for that duty) but I got a 3.4 gallon desert tank and I will take her on the freeway to nearby towns without an issue with range. She is on the pipe the whole time though...

Kurlon recommended WR gear on my YZ so I will try that when I do the crank in a few years..
    That with a smaller rear sprocket will help on freeway, but I don't ride freeway much anyhow

Edit: my dealer friend has a plated 98 exc300 for sale...$3g...doh!

I already started revalving & re-springing the suspension on the yz250 for my weight, and it has the desert tank, and spare rims, so I'll keep it for now

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-05-15 at 08:15 PM.

Just got the call from factory connection - forks are ready!

New springs for my weight and revalved for the kind of riding I do!

They were even able to tap the 2 threads and clean up the original fork lug...just told me to initially place the axle in gingerly to help with that final mating

Still got the fleabay forks as spares...can't wait to see how they feel on my next day off!

Next stop: rear shock

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-06-15 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    There's no way street riding a 2-stroke makes any sense here in the US. No gas stations provide oil. So you'd have to carry your own. Fine if your idea of riding is around town. Not so much for anything more than that.
    Maybe if there were more options out there with oil injection, like that new Beta trainer thing.

In NZ I noticed many (all?) gas stations had a little steel cabinet with oil and stuff to mix right there at the pumps.
    My first bike was a two-stroke Aprilia RS125. It had a small oil reservoir that you topped up every couple of weeks. No pre-mix bullshit, because Australian gas stations don't sell pre-mix either. Hell, even dirty old Suzuki RGV250s from the 1980s had oil reservoirs. I did about 6,000 miles on it and never had the oil warning light come on.

If you're going on a long trip there's room under the seat for a bottle of oil too...

Yup...bubba hit that, the little oil reservoir is called oil injection...I had one on my '79 kd125 and on my 1990 ns50

Most of my 2T street bikes on on the oil pump, the Sumo's don't have that option. I run around 50:1 in my Ktm's and have zero issues mixing at the gas pump. Well worth the effort

Quote Originally Posted by peterz85 View Post
    Most of my 2T street bikes on on the oil pump, the Sumo's don't have that option. I run around 50:1 in my Ktm's and have zero issues mixing at the gas pump. Well worth the effort
    Ive never had to do it on anything other than chainsaws and weedwhackers... but I never understood why people had an issue with premix on bigger toys. You gotta fill the reservoir anyway, so its not like it saves you a whole lot, and mixing cups are small and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Ive never had to do it on anything other than chainsaws and weedwhackers... but I never understood why people had an issue with premix on bigger toys. You gotta fill the reservoir anyway, so its not like it saves you a whole lot, and mixing cups are small and easy.
    Right on. My guess is the majority of members here are much younger than I am. I grew up in the glory days of smoker MX bikes. Damn near every motorcycle I've owned required premix. To me it's weird to NOT dump oil into a bikes fuel tank at the local station.

Pete

Like anything, it's all relative...not a lot of work if you really enjoy the rewards for thrle toils

I tend to buy extra castor 927 just because I run out quick and you're stuck unless you want to run gas station oil

I should just measure out 2 gallons worth of oil and leave it on the bike in a pinch though

The only "street" riding I do w/ my 2 stroke is turkey runs. It definitely takes a few extra moments at refuel time than the 4 strokes but its plenty manageable. The key for me is having the oil pre-measured and readily accessible. I keep (3) 3oz shampoo bottles, filled with 2.5 oz of oil in my hydration pack. Each bottle is just right for a 50:1 mix in 1 gallon of fuel.

You can get lots of cheap empty screw top bottles on ebay.....

'96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold