Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Small, street legal dirtbike wanted!

Small, street legal dirtbike wanted!

Hey all,

I'm in the market for a small, street legal dirtbike - so if anyone comes across an ad please let me know.

Ideal situation would be the off road version of the CRF230 by Honda that has been street titled. (not the new, street legal model - which is heavier)

This is for Renee (5'4", 115lbs). She had the new KLX250s, which was an awesome bike and worked fine when she was on two wheels - but Renee tips over a lot in the rough stuff and she was unable to pick it up by herself (which is something important to her).

She loved her Honda 230, but it was not street legal and Mass is a pain in the ass to convert.

Thanks all.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Re: Small, street legal dirtbike wanted!

http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/3491202357.html

If you're into fixer-uppers, then this Suzuki SP125 would work. The motor is the same one used in the KLX125/DRZ125 bike, but with lighting and a 6-speed trans.

Lifer

Tony, you may end up doing this (title-ing a CRF230)yourself. I am actively searching for a new dual sport machine (you know what I like), and I have not come across any that would suit your needs. The 2012 Husky TE250 is very attractive (even for me!) as it has a *much reduced* seat height, while still retaining 11+ inches of wheel travel. I do not know if they offer the same bike for 2013, though. I also have been informed that the Husky TXC and WR lines come with "Good" CoO's, so there may be a Husky in my future.
    In the mean time, I will keep an eye and ear out for you. Merry Christmas!
    Greg

pm greg and use his loophole for plating the CRF230!

then:
    1.) use the tusk enduro lighting kit for the XR250 (it's stand alone - runs off its own battery and doesn't tie into the OEM electrical system)
    2.) use a generic acerbis dual sport headlight (~$45 on fleabay)
    3.) add a front brake lever with an electronic switch (any old honda XL/SL works)
    4.) wire it into the OEM stator - the XR's were already wound for it - you might want to double check if the CRF is too...or just grab the stator from a street plated CRF
    5.) get some DOT knobbies - for a CRF230, 80%on/20% off, 60%off/60%on who cares...any will do

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-24-12 at 07:31 PM.

Lifer

CRF230L - I bought this for my wife instead of the DR350S. This bike is tiny and light. 267 lbs wet weight with full tank

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    CRF230L - I bought this for my wife instead of the DR350S. This bike is tiny and light. 267 lbs wet weight with full tank
    There is nothing light about a CRF230, especially the L.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

How hard is it to street legal a KTM 200?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    How hard is it to street legal a KTM 200?
    There is nothing small about the 200 haha.

Yeah, The 230L is as heavy and big as the KLX250s we just sold.

The Honda 230 off road was not exactly light but it carried the weight down low and was easy to pick up when laying down.

I had actually bought all the dual purpose stuff for her previous 230f - then sold the whole package for the KLX250s because I didn't want to deal with the hassles of registering. (guess I might have to though)

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    There is nothing small about the 200 haha.
    200lbs, put a lowering kit on it it bring the seat height down... It's what I want to get my wife on for a test ride as an upgrade from her TTR-125. Same weight, just more suspension and bigger wheels to make trails/woods a bit easier.

re-buy all the dual-purpose stuff!!!

you don't have an of it left over??

200lbs, put a lowering kit on it it bring the seat height down... It's what I want to get my wife on for a test ride as an upgrade from her TTR-125. Same weight, just more suspension and bigger wheels to make trails/woods a bit easier.
    You'd probably have to put a fww on it too.

She likes (needs?) the power delivery of a 4stroke. Faced with a tough, rocky section - she likes to just motor through slowly - no clutch slipping, etc.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    She likes (needs?) the power delivery of a 4stroke. Faced with a tough, rocky section - she likes to just motor through slowly - no clutch slipping, etc.
    From what I've been told, and this is something we want to test... the 200 is more like a 4 stroke than a traditional 2 stroke in it's power delivery. Combined with a Flywheel weight ala Smutty's suggestion, and a stiffer power valve spring to keep it muted they are supposed to be tractors. My WR250 (ye olde 2 stroke) will tractor along nicely too, so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

no way...I know the ktm 200's have a heaver fly wheel, and good low end torque, and it's "more" like a 4-t, but it's not the same as the good ol' XR/CRF 200's!

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    no way...I know the ktm 200's have a heaver fly wheel, and good low end torque, and it's "more" like a 4-t, but it's not the same as the good ol' XR/CRF 200's!
    Come try my WR some time, it'll out lug an XR200 and then blow it away on top end too.

CA to ME is one hell of a ride!

tell ya what, my buddy still has that WR we got w' the CR...I'll give it a shot!

and if ya ever visit SoCali, you can ride it!!

Wirelessly posted

My roommate has a Yamaha 220 4 stroke dual sport he's looking to get rid of... I'll find the FS thread I posted for him when I get back on a computer.

EDIT: here's the link... http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...-xt-225-a.html

Last edited by RyanNicholson; 12-25-12 at 09:17 PM.

That was the bike she had before getting the Honda CRF230.

The Yamaha was fun, but the Honda was better in the tough stuff.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

From what I've been told, and this is something we want to test... the 200 is more like a 4 stroke than a traditional 2 stroke in it's power delivery. Combined with a Flywheel weight ala Smutty's suggestion, and a stiffer power valve spring to keep it muted they are supposed to be tractors. My WR250 (ye olde 2 stroke) will tractor along nicely too, so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.
    My 200XCW is like a tractor, I hardly ever even use first gear, even in the tight stuff. It'll almost idle up a small hill in first gear, which amazes me with a 200 2-stroke. Amazing how smooth the power delivery is down low, but it is snappy when on the pipe. The bike is bone stock, not even a gearing change!
    While the physical size of the 200 is a bit smaller (based off a 125 frame) than the 250 and up bikes, it still has a high seat height. It would be a perfect fit for Renee as far as power delivery and weight (208lbs), but the high seat height would be the kicker!

Yamaha

Yeah, you definitely have the perfect combo there with that 200xcw. Light weight and good power.

As you said, the seat height would be her biggest issue (not to mention finding one street legal)

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Lifer

The 2 stokes are nice and light, but the snappy power can be off putting to novices. My Beta REVIII 270 was torque-y and mellow, but once I put a novice on it, well, things did not go well. The lazy power delivery of the "old style", under-square, 4 strokes is probably best. An older XL200 or 185 would probably be nice for Renee. Too bad they don't have e-start. Service Honda makes their Junior-X, which is a CRF150R frame, with a CRF250X motor. This is probably the ideal "Small Person's" bike, for someone with some experience like Renee. It has *everything* - Low seat height, great motor, e-start, great suspension, and they might even issue you a street legal one if you asked. Unfortunately, all this comes at a price.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    The 2 stokes are nice and light, but the snappy power can be off putting to novices. My Beta REVIII 270 was torque-y and mellow, but once I put a novice on it, well, things did not go well. The lazy power delivery of the "old style", under-square, 4 strokes is probably best. An older XL200 or 185 would probably be nice for Renee. Too bad they don't have e-start. Service Honda makes their Junior-X, which is a CRF150R frame, with a CRF250X motor. This is probably the ideal "Small Person's" bike, for someone with some experience like Renee. It has *everything* - Low seat height, great motor, e-start, great suspension, and they might even issue you a street legal one if you asked. Unfortunately, all this comes at a price.
    There's an actual little person using one of these for the PSTR stuff. It's a rad little bike.

My vote goes to a ktm 105/150 exc/xc
    Not street legal outta the box, but they have the paperwork that makes magic happen.
    Then your just a light kit away from a competent little woods ripper.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

The Ossa Explorer looks hawt, 162lbs dry, trials based (no power valve) 280 two stroke, appears to be street legal out of the crate... 32" seat height though but it looks like there is plenty of room to shave the seat down.

Oh, minor detail, I don't think any were imported into the US, have to go to Canada to get one. :/

http://www.ossacanada.ca/2012%20Explorer%20280i.pdf

Lifer

...Or the Sherco X-Ride, which looks a bit more "Enduro" oriented than the Explorer. I don't think that Tony is looking for a new, $8k toy, though....
    Tony, how about this used Beta Alp? $3,599!
    http://www.motoconnectionvt.com/wp-c.../HPIM35771.jpg
    http://www.motoconnectionvt.com/?page_id=35

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast