Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Street Legal Requirements in MA

Street Legal Requirements in MA

I'm wondering what I would have to do to an XR250R to make it street legal in MA. (to ride to trails or shoot up roads to trails)
    Is it easiest to just go with the Baja kit? I heard something about needing a non plastic gas tank?

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Street Legal Requirements in MA

ride it as is. when you get busted by the cops, flash them & you're on your way ticket free

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

blinkers, 1 mirror, stock silencer installed if you replaced it, dot approved rubber, $$$ for inspection sticker.

this is assuming that the bike already has a headlight and a brake activated taillight.

Quote Originally Posted by R1slowflyer View Post
    blinkers, LEFT mirror, stock silencer installed if you replaced it, dot approved rubber, $$$ for inspection sticker.

this is assuming that the bike already has a headlight and a brake activated taillight.
    fixed

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Thanks guys! I have to put a resistor in so the running light will get brighter when I apply the brakes. I may need a magneto thing too I think because there is no battery and I heard something about the headlight needing to run after the bike is off???

I got some good advice in a PM too so I'm gonna try that first.

Thanks again for the input.

dont forget a horn

Steve
    Work Hard---Play Harder

Quote Originally Posted by elissama101 View Post
    I'm wondering what I would have to do to an XR250R to make it street legal in MA. (to ride to trails or shoot up roads to trails)
    Is it easiest to just go with the Baja kit? I heard something about needing a non plastic gas tank?

Thanks!
    Im pretty sure plastic tank is fine. It also helps knowing someone that does stickers. Assuming you have the big stuff covered like lighting you can probably get by.

For the yellow plate all you really need to do is send them the 20 dollars they want and you get your plate and sticker in the mail. It doesnt allow you to ride on the streets but it does through the state forests. If you already have one of these come ride with us on Sunday in Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by R1slowflyer View Post
    blinkers, 1 mirror, stock silencer installed if you replaced it, dot approved rubber, $$$ for inspection sticker.

Im not so sure about the stock silencer. Some bikes require after market silencer to be legal. My YZ125 needed 96db spark arrester silencer. The stock pipe was only closed circuit legal. The bike would have a white plate on it now if the title wasnt messed up. You also need a letter from an inspection station saying that the bike is street legal before they will take the off road only off the title.

James

Lifer

Most converted dirt bikes that I have registered and inspected (and I have done many) have been checked for a mirror, a horn, a high/low beam DOT headllight, *both* front and rear brake lights, working directionals, DOT tires, a plate light, and a keyed ignition. Some of the things I have been rejected, or been given a hard time about are: lack of a chain guard, *buddy pegs!*, a speedometer, and having the ball broken off of the levers (unless you have bark busters).
    I have never been hasseled about a plastic tank. Besides, KTM's, some Ducati's, and Buell's have plastic tanks.
    The most important thing, of course, is that your VIN must match your registration.
    The level of scrutiny varies from place to place and also often varies greatly amongst the employees doing the check.
    I always assume the worst, prepare well, then remove half of the stuff when I get back home, box it up and save it until next year.
    I have had a fully inspected CR500, CR250, KDX 200, several KTM's, and a couple of Husky's, and may now work on getting my Beta REV 3 street legal. I got lazy eventually and just went out and bought a DRZ400S.
    You probably will not have too much trouble with an XR unless the exhaust is obscenely loud.

Just Registered The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

STONEMAN

*STICKY*

this thread please!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elissama101 View Post

Thanks!
    Call me I have done several of these conversions.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

540 CMR** 4

Buy street crap for bike and install. Get a m/c inspection station to provide you with a statement declaring that the bike will pass inspection as equipped. Fill out RMV-1 app for title & registration, and get your insurance agent to endorse it. Take that junk, along with receipts for street parts, and some money to the RMV.

Last edited by ChR1s; 05-17-08 at 06:57 AM.
    A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill