Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

A place for my stupid newbie questions.

Re: A place for my stupid newbie questions.

They are fun, even though sometimes I feel like I'm working against myself. Shorter levers seem beneficial, but I like the feel of the stock ones. I want more peg on my shifter, I'm now seeing others cut some length off theirs to go from under to over easier, etc.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I don't think you'll get more nubbin length on your shifter. Maybe trying a cheap msr shifter lever that you can bend out a little further before installation will get you comfy.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

so Hammerhead or one of the other cos doesn't offer a longer replacement tip for your shift lever? a buddy I ride with got a new tip that is a tad longer and up a hair from stock. I'll ask him what brand it is

Beta 200RR

Hammerhead's might be a little longer...I didn't think long enough to be worth the investment.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

my friend thought it was... he wears a size 13 MX boot and needed the extra room + grip

Beta 200RR

I may have to do a cut and weld on my lever to raise it up a couple notches without driving it into the chain for Loudon... Has Adam gotten into the custom shift lever business yet?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    Dirty bike question in regards to my WR250R. She's a big girl, like 295# big. Here's my thought, the new toy weighs in at just over 200#, and something like the crf250x comes in at 255#. Is there any way to remove that 40 pounds to make it comparable? I know to be better in the woods I'll need off road rubber and a bigger ring out back. Both of which won't reduce much weight. Any thoughts on what could be done, or just ride a 300 pound dirt bike?.
    Lithium battery can save ~7 pounds, and maybe probably savings with an aftermarket exhaust (10-15lbs total?). But I don't know where else you'd save weight without getting expensive. Maybe aftermarket wheels?. Most of that's probably in the frame and block. Rear foot pegs, or maybe lighter chain guard?

I have a TTR250, which is 264lbs dry, and it goes where ever the ~200-220lb bikes go. Minus a few taller log crossings that are surely newb-operater limited, not weight. You feel the heft though, and it's a good amount of extra work to pick up or save from a fall. I just asked a question about the battery and exhaust on ADV and no surprise, the only answer I've got so far was that any dirt bike is lighter than their tank-on-wheels.

nedirtriders.com

The ttr250 was somewhat rare, believe it or not. They didn't sell in huge numbers like the 125. I think because by the time most people are into the 250 range, they're looking for either race bikes, or they're going full dual sport like the klx and that new Honda 250.
    That said, jc had one and loved it, so he might have a few more insights on mods. My .02, don't bother. Enjoy it as is, and then when you want something bigger/lighter/faster, go and get it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Radiator protection. Seem to be 2 options. Devol makes one that covers the front, looks like it protects well from oncoming debris. Endure engineering makes a brace, that goes around the radiator, but no protection in front. Noticed there's already a good sized bend in the left side already, so don't want to chance it as it's going to be put on its side again, soon. Any thoughts on what's best to run? The one on my wr seems to protect all sides, but not available for the 125.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Hmmm, I call BS. 250 MX bikes are BEASTS. They will leave your feet dangling behind the bike as the wheelie out of a corner into the acceleration bumps. There is NOTHING wilder than whiskey throttleing a 250 2t.
    must be a new bike thing!

the '94, the '00, the '03 (pretty similar to the '00) yz250's have been pretty manageable...

I lug the '94 pretty tractfully, and the '00/'03 had even more low end!

start @ 6:48 - lugalicious w' smooth

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-18-15 at 09:39 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Radiator protection. Seem to be 2 options. Devol makes one that covers the front, looks like it protects well from oncoming debris. Endure engineering makes a brace, that goes around the radiator, but no protection in front. Noticed there's already a good sized bend in the left side already, so don't want to chance it as it's going to be put on its side again, soon. Any thoughts on what's best to run? The one on my wr seems to protect all sides, but not available for the 125.
    The devol style will also help support them from the side too, but they do restrict airflow a little. Not much, but a little. I have the EE braces on my 300. I doubt I'd buy them again.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

I should look at what I have. I suspect they are EE.. but they cover the front of the rads too.
    They work well. Have already saved me from pretzeling a rad when I tried to railslide a wet bridge this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I should look at what I have. I suspect they are EE.. but they cover the front of the rads too.
    They work well. Have already saved me from pretzeling a rad when I tried to railslide a wet bridge this summer.
    Pixxx.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I love the products I've purchased from flatland racing, but they make almost nothing for the 125sx in the 05 year.

I like the devol ones, but aren't I looking for as much air flow as possible? Even just putting along there should be plenty of movement through them, right?

Last edited by bryco13; 08-18-15 at 09:10 AM.

Am I safe to assume that stock KTM silencers have spark arrestors?

No, never assume. Spark arrestors are only fitted on woods bikes. You have an MX bike.

Paul_E_D

Thanks, good to know! Can I insert some mesh like I've heard others doing? Don't want to get in trouble at HVD.

Yes, epoxy a screen on the end

Paul_E_D

Or hose clamp a piece of metal window screen.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

+1 ^ the easier it is to remove or replace the better, the screen type can get caked up over time...

not sure if the Turbine Core is available for that bike but it's a nice design, no screens to get gummed up with spooge.

Beta 200RR

By the sound of it he spooges before he gets on the bike anyways so no problem there.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I'll buy two. One for the bike, one for me.

Don't want to get in trouble at HVD.
    speaking of ... pretty good crack down going on Sunday morning. 4 rangers, two trucks and a side-by-side parked at the yellow gate, pulling riders over as they exited the trails back into the lot checking stickers/reg. (i've never had them inspect my silencer)

reg your bikes, people. it's a great spot and those guys work hard to maintain it.

Beta 200RR

So, another question. Having a one year old started me down the trail of less road riding and more trail stuff. Over the past year I've also seen a increase on both horrible drivers and the coinciding accidents involving 2 wheeled vehicles. I think it's time for me to focus on just off road riding, which I'm cool with. In addition the the mini rocket KTM, I also have a 2013 wr250r. I'm thinking of making it as minimal as possible to reduce weight and become a bette trail bike. This includes an exhaust, fuel system, a gear change better for trail, etc. if in the future I decide to try a hare scramble, turkey run, xc race, etc. where can I find the minimum requirements for my bike? Can I take the turn signals off and still maintain a plate? Do I need a plate for access to places / events that an off road reg won't allow? Anyone been through similar? And no, buying another orange bike isn't in the cards right now. That new Yamaha yz250x though...

Truth be told, you can enter any of the above with it as is. Having extra stuff won't discount you.
    You only need the turn signals for inspection and if you get pulled over, and the Leo notices you don't have any.
    As far as maintaining a plate for access, if you can roll out of your garage and ride to the trail, you'll be far more likely to ride than having to pack up and trailer and then reverse the process. You do need a street reg for most turkey runs and enduros. I think there are one of each that are "closed course" events. A hare scramble is all done on (typically) one piece, or two adjacent pieces of property.
    The problem with real woodsy riding on the wrr is its weight. I'm not a power whore, and prefer to tiptoe through the tulips. Having a reasonably lightweight machine helps. Having never ridden a wrr I'd say it's main flaw is its suspension (as with any factory bike). And aside from bark busters and a skid plate that'd be the very first thing I try and fix before trying to shed the 10-15lbs the same dollar value on mods is going to offer.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast