Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

SUMO on a budget

SUMO on a budget

Hey guys,

Now that my SV is gone, I'm thinking about possibly buying a SuMo conversion kit for my KTM 250 2-smoker.

My question is this....Is it really as easy as changing wheels/caliper mount/fairing/gearing? I don't need to be super competitive, would just want to screw around with trackdays and maybe an occasional race for fun.

I don't want to get involved with suspension work etc, as this bike is primarily for off-road, and I'm not willing to compromise how it works in the dirt. (obviously I'll be changing the wheels back and forth). Will it be scary as shit to ride with the stock (trail) suspension under roadracing conditions?

Any guidance is appreciated, and obviously my goal is just to screw around. If I were at all serious about racing I would've kept the SV.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: SUMO on a budget

First off the 250 would not be competitive at all and wouldn't have enough power to be enjoyable at a trackday. Also the suspension would be horribly inadequate and would wallow constantly. It sounds about as unsafe as you can get...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

sweet!

Come to think of it, that is the exact description of racing an EX500! Always remember your roots Smutty!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by slowkermit975 View Post
    Come to think of it, that is the exact description of racing an EX500! Always remember your roots Smutty!
    Except EX500's are reliable and don't blow up...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Very true. This is exactly why I ask. I'm not really in the mood to make a $1,200+ mistake. I'm just completely ignorant as far as SuMo racing goes. all I know is it looks like fun! Definitely not important enough to me to justify buying/storing/maintaining another pony at this time, so I'll just leave it alone for the time being.

As for installing the supermoto parts and going back and forth from dirt to SM, KTM is about the easiest and quickest IMO. I just got some SM wheels for my KTM 200, takes about 25-30 minutes to swap back and forth. I'm taking it to the track on the 20th, not to worried about the suspension and power of it.
    If it's just for fun, I say go for it

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I'm taking it to the track on the 20th, not to worried about the suspension and power of it.
    If it's just for fun, I say go for it
    I'll definitely be following up with you to see how your trackday experience goes. That 200 was a great bike choice BTW. I wanted one but they sell out quickly over at Cliffs. I'm extremely happy with my 250, but 16lbs lighter would be nice at times.

Last edited by slowkermit; 05-28-12 at 09:32 PM.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes. So far, I'm very happy with the 200. Plenty for the woods and as you say, the lighter weight sure is noticable.

Yamaha

If just track days, no need to be competitive...

If the KTM is set up for woods riding, then the suspension on the track would be a disaster. If you have a more MX oriented set-up specific for your weight, you could probably play with clickers and pre-load and get the sag and everything else close. I couldn't imagine putting double duty on one of my dirtbikes though, its just so much additional wear that you will never be able to really account for on the motor, chasis, and even the normal expendable parts. For road racing/trails duty, you will never have a bike that does both excellent. If you were planning on a bike for say MX/actual sumo, you could do okay. Plus, after buying wheels, tires, and brakes at an absolute minimum you could have nearly bought a complete sumo.

Now if you were looking for something to hooligan around on, and have a woods bike, I am 100% for that.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.