Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

KTM Freeride E-XC

KTM Freeride E-XC

So... have we talked about this yet?

http://www.ktmfreeride-e.com/en

Coming to select US dealers now/early 2018. Only $300 more than the Freeride 250 R! KTM's main website is not working for me right now for some reason, but I'm sure theres a ton more detail floating around elsewhere.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: KTM Freeride E-XC

*up to 1.5hrs of ride time kills it for me. I'll be ready to take the plunge at 6hrs of run time. My crunchy wife has green-lighted this long ago.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

My first impression on this that gives it IMO a HUGE advantage over the Alta is it has a removable power pack. No waiting for it to charge, swap in a fresh battery and keep riding. I couldn't think for the life of me why Alta missed that in their design.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

It seems perfect for someone with a little bit of accessible land out their back door, who doesn't want to draw attention.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    My first impression on this that gives it IMO a HUGE advantage over the Alta is it has a removable power pack. No waiting for it to charge, swap in a fresh battery and keep riding. I couldn't think for the life of me why Alta missed that in their design.
    The Alta battery IS swappable. Alta Motors|Battery Pack shows it by itself. If you look at he bike you can see the two swingout bars on the sides of the pack that you undo to be able to slide it out from one side or the other. They also list the range for trail riding at 4 hours + so... KTM's got some catching up to do on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    *up to 1.5hrs of ride time kills it for me. I'll be ready to take the plunge at 6hrs of run time. My crunchy wife has green-lighted this long ago.
    the Alta can go 2+hrs on trail w/a faster rider onboard

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    the Alta battery is also swappable at the track or trail *but two sets of hands are recommended

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    The Alta battery IS swappable. Alta Motors|Battery Pack shows it by itself. If you look at he bike you can see the two swingout bars on the sides of the pack that you undo to be able to slide it out from one side or the other.
    From a review on the Alta: "And speaking of pulling, with a couple people and five to ten minutes, it can be hauled out of the bike and replaced with a fresh one trackside. Not as hot-swappable as some others, but for competitors doing multiple heats, it should work out fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    The Alta battery IS swappable. Alta Motors|Battery Pack shows it by itself. If you look at he bike you can see the two swingout bars on the sides of the pack that you undo to be able to slide it out from one side or the other. They also list the range for trail riding at 4 hours + so... KTM's got some catching up to do on that front.
    beat me to it ... i thought i read about 4+ hrs for a novice/intermediate rider on a softer map but didn't find it. 2+hrs with a fast rider on aggressive map + tech trails is pretty awesome. that's a lot of ground covered before needing a charge.

Alden on here rode the Alta, we didn't get a chance to talk about it on Sat but i'd like to hear more. i'm dying to try one. i'm sure the Freeride is well built and fun but it doesn't seem like an enduro bike replacement yet.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Same. Down the the crunchy wife. Even the MIL almost approves. Almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    It seems perfect for someone with a little bit of accessible land out their back door, who doesn't want to draw attention.
    Could be me one day..

60 mile range works for the commute too! (We have chargers at work.)

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Even the MIL almost approves.
    Dude, do you seek approval from your mother in law for your hobbies? come on man....

I imagine these are nearly maintenance free. My god that would be wonderful.

Ah. My mistake. When i originally read the release on the Alta it understood it as the battery being an integral part of the motor.

Bunch of hippy libtard idiots buying these. I'm gunna roll coal just to piss them off. Cause Prius.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Dude, do you seek approval from your mother in law for your hobbies? come on man....
    Do you really not understand the point I was making? (Actually the point that had already been made that I was just seconding.)

xxaarraa

Do you really not understand the point I was making? (Actually the point that had already been made that I was just seconding.)
    I don't. I must be extra dense this morning. :0

Lifer

Electric moto-toys somehow appeal-to some small extent-to even the greeniest of tree hugging hippies in our lives. (Chips' wife, my wife, even my pant suit wearing MIL.)

Telling them how little mix my 200 actually burns in a year does nothing. Logic shall not apply. These things are powered by co-ed, equal opportunity, alternative unicorn farts and happy thoughts. Ergo they are 'okay'.

xxaarraa

Electric moto-toys somehow appeal-to some small extent-to even the greeniest of tree hugging hippies in our lives. (Chips' wife, my wife, even my pant suit wearing MIL.)

Telling them how little mix my 200 actually burns in a year does nothing. Logic shall not apply. These things are powered by co-ed, equal opportunity, alternative unicorn farts and happy thoughts. Ergo they are 'okay'.
    I see, that makes sense. Now re-reading your post makes sense too,

When they make these sound and smell like my 2T give me a call, till then......

that's a cool website!!!

so uh, can I dual sport this sorta thing?

ya know...for hood whelliez n urban hooning

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    that's a cool website!!!

I would think this is one of the rare occasions Cali would be the first to endorse.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    Alden on here rode the Alta, we didn't get a chance to talk about it on Sat but i'd like to hear more. i'm dying to try one. i'm sure the Freeride is well built and fun but it doesn't seem like an enduro bike replacement yet.
    Rode a short demo test loop at a Jday event, tighter single track with loomy dirt and roots. Overall impressed. The bike they have felt more like an MX bike, which is the opposite of my preference. Most of that came from bar shape/position, so easily changed and I'm sure there will be other models in the future. I was surprised when the rep said the weight (270 IIRC?) because it felt lighter on the trail. It was weird to be on a mostly silent bike. I thought the tire was flat because of all the whomp-woosh sounds going on out back. Apparently they are noisy but we never hear it. Much less engine braking than a 4T, but felt like a little more than a 2T.

I kept going for the non-existent clutch every time I rolled off the throttle. Not being a rekluse guy, it was weird to just turn the throttle off and stop. Or to turn the bike 'on' and just twist the grip like it's a kids toy.

Has 4 power modes, set by Up/Down arrows on the dash trip computer. I noticed that 1 had power with a lot of throttle input, but the way it ramped up was a little dull/sluggish. 2 added more power, but also made it come on quicker. Rep confirmed they adjust max power and the power curve. I did a quick blip in 4 - ACME Rocket mode. Rep was saying it's more like a launch/holeshot mode than something you'd ride around in. If I remember right, expected lifetime on the battery is 1000hrs. Even if it's half that, seems acceptable compared to doing regular maintenance on a gas motor. They have some gear oil to change for a primary drive, but I figure that's way less often. No air filter to worry about swamping either.

Two people I was with rode them. We all had positive impression. The big question mark is ride time. For a track guy or a back-yard loop, it's the toy to have. Trail riding, we'd be hesitant. Wonder how it does when it gets really cold too. Granted, I'm the opposite of an early adopter so it's not like I'm the target audience Gasoline engines have plenty of faults/risks we're all used to. In time, I think we'll learn to work with batteries instead.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    If I remember right, expected lifetime on the battery is 1000hrs. Even if it's half that, seems acceptable compared to doing regular maintenance on a gas motor.
    What does a replacement cost though? In that KTM article it says $3600 for spare packs, and those are being made by Samsung (which pumps them out at scale). The Alta one is proprietary I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    What does a replacement cost though? In that KTM article it says $3600 for spare packs, and those are being made by Samsung (which pumps them out at scale). The Alta one is proprietary I think.
    $3,500 for the Alta battery pack.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    that's a cool website!!!

sorry to keep derailing the thread but... check this out: Redshift EX

Beta 200RR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast