Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Suspension Rebuild for dirt time!

My suspension is setup for someone much bigger than me. I mean a LOT bigger than me.

I don't have the cake to pay someone else to do it right now, and frankly, I like learning. Besides, if I make a mistake, screw it up or get in there to find out I don't know enough to make it work, I can always send it off to our trusty suspension expert to do correctly. If I REALLY screw it up, no big deal, decent used forks and shocks off my bike are going cheap on Ebay.

So I found a set of springs that should be pretty much spot on in the front for nothing (swapping with a friend). I'll be buying a new spring out back and Race Tech Gold Valves front and rear. If I'm successfull, I'll also do it on the front of my Rex. I have already done the emulators on the racebike and found them quite simple to install (I know the real valves are more complex, but I'm willing to accept that).

Anyone else done their own stuff before? I have done a lot of reading and homework before making this decision and found that the general concensus was that the procedure and work is easier than engine reassembly. I can do that no sweat, so I'll feel confident in my abilities.

Any recommendations before I get started? I'll also be changing out my seals and bushings for the hell of it, may as well since I'll be in there.

I will need to get the shock charged with nitrogen but that could be something my local dealer could do or I could bring it to Peter during a race weekend. Any other tools that those of you who have done it would recommend purchasing, even if it is only for a single use?

As far as tools, I have always made use of PVC and other large smooth objects for putting in seals. For oil, I'll be going with the RaceTech stuff since they know what they are talking about. For shim stacks and spring rates, the RaceTech site has you enter rider weight and riding style to give you a general idea. I've heard their shim stack charts are a big help as well.

Thanks! I'm pretty stoked about learning this stuff!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

It's all pretty straight forward (except getting the rebound valve out of my 125 forks...). Race tech charts are a starting point, but I've found them to be soft. I've gone as much as 2-3 steps higher on their chart than my weight would indicate. YMMV.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Yup, it's not too hard.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    It's all pretty straight forward (except getting the rebound valve out of my 125 forks...). Race tech charts are a starting point, but I've found them to be soft. I've gone as much as 2-3 steps higher on their chart than my weight would indicate. YMMV.
    Growing up riding nothing but old heavy bikes from the late 70's, I've gotten used to and seem to ride better with the bike a little on the softer side. If it is way out of whack, I hope I'll be able to know the difference.

I'm willing to experiement, but thanks for the insight. I'm curious if all bikes are about the same when it comes to their recommendations or if they set some bikes up softer, firmer, etc.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Just Registered

klr? cr125? what bike mang?

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

125!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Just Registered

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Big difference between the 70's and now? No more Steve McQueen landings -- front wheel down first.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill