Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Lets talk Maine, ATV trails.....

Lets talk Maine, ATV trails.....

Hey all, ive been doing a lot of 4 wheeling up in Berlin, NH. (Yamaha YFZ450, Kawi KFX400, Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000 side by side) and have kinda gotten fed up with the speed limits, the rangers being fuckin dicks, etc.... Its a 3+ hour ride for me each way, which Im fine with, but Ive been hearing a lot of good words about trails in Maine.

Any place you recommend I can do some web research? Any recommend places to ride? Are there rangers/sherrifs out to ruin my fun all over the place in Maine?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Re: Lets talk Maine, ATV trails.....

i'm headed up there in 2 days for 4 days of dirbiking and some of the group will be on atvs

I can report back with location etc... never been

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Bingham area is pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Hey all, ive been doing a lot of 4 wheeling up in Berlin, NH. (Yamaha YFZ450, Kawi KFX400, Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000 side by side) and have kinda gotten fed up with the speed limits, the rangers being fuckin dicks, etc.... Its a 3+ hour ride for me each way, which Im fine with, but Ive been hearing a lot of good words about trails in Maine.

Any place you recommend I can do some web research? Any recommend places to ride? Are there rangers/sherrifs out to ruin my fun all over the place in Maine?
    I just got back from 4 days in Abbott. We stayed at Balsam Woods campground (rented a cabin) where you can access tons of trails right from the campground. Good mix of riding, one day we did about 100 miles to the B-52 crash site east of Greenville. Greenville is pretty neat as you can ride right through town on the roads and eat at a number of restaurants ( I would recommend Kellys Landing). Didn't see one warden or other LEO's the entire time.

I'd wait for some rain though, it was dusty as fuck.

Ya Berlin and Errol was super super dusty this past weekend too.....

Oh ya, forgot about abbot area, we camped at cathedral pines and atv'ed for days.

who do you ride with? family? a bunch of guys? there are some trails by my house, but only enough for maybe 2-3 hours of riding before you repeat stuff

+1 on the Abbot/Greenville areas. I've done a ton of off-road riding in that area over the years. I have a small camp in Parkman and we used to ride out of that..you could backtrack to Newport to kill a day, go south to Harmony/Skowhegan, west to Bingham/The Forks, and if you're up for a long day, Jackman.

As for speed limits, unless posted on the trails, the law said maintain reasonable speeds and stay in control. We have never had a speed issue in all the years we went up there. I originally bought my YFZ450R, just for riding in Maine. The trails are fun and fast, more suited for a sport quad than anything else IMHO.

Another vote for balsam woods campground, stayed there last year for a weekend. Only thing that sucks there is if your camp site is far from the atv coral, you have some walking to do before and after each ride..as they don't allow atv/bike traffic within the campground

Yamaha

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i was also of the understanding that most (if not all) of maines trails are trail bike friendly as well. is that right?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Not 100%, powerlines for example tend to prohibit motorcycles but allow ATVs, and some land owners also will only allow ATVs on trails that cross their property.

Yeah bikes have a lot more restrictions, but still lots of trails. Primarily because a lot of trails use private land.

Contact Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands and they'll mail you a free map, pretty sure it marks bike-only trails: http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/trail_activities/atv/

Definitely doesn't include everything but it's a good reference if you want to play by the rules.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

already better than NH. you cant ride anywhere except designated off road areas. in other words, there isnt any real "travelling" trails like there is down south

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post

I also live in Salem but I've got a place in central ME. I'm still learning the trails up there, but so far haven't been that impressed. The trail system I'm near connects to 4100 miles (IIRC) of trails, but everything I've done I probably could have done in my truck. Haven't hit any single track or anything too technical yet. Still exploring though.

Camped in Abbott with my son, we had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    I also live in Salem but I've got a place in central ME. I'm still learning the trails up there, but so far haven't been that impressed. The trail system I'm near connects to 4100 miles (IIRC) of trails, but everything I've done I probably could have done in my truck. Haven't hit any single track or anything too technical yet. Still exploring though.
    There are no single track trails in the area that are part of the Maine ATV trail system, as there are no dirtbike clubs to create them. Its the same reason some land owners do not allow dirt bikes on their ATV trails...know one there to represent the dirtbike community.

Yamaha

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    There are no single track trails in the area that are part of the Maine ATV trail system, as there are no dirtbike clubs to create them. Its the same reason some land owners do not allow dirt bikes on their ATV trails...know one there to represent the dirtbike community.
    Lame!

So Just got back from 3 days of riding.
    camped at moosehead lake and had a blast! bike in front of the house and trails across the street

Rode the xr 250r (piston seized at beginning of 2nd day) then rode the xr650r for 1.5 days
    Grreat roads
    day1- 110 miles 60% hi speed 5th gearish rest was 2/3rd gear with good rocks and up hill.s down hills to greenville to forks then back
    day 2 90 miles - less hi speed trails more 2/3 gear up hill / downhil lots of fun and hit up the B-52 site as well
    day3 40 miles. 1/2 maybe 3rd mud , water crossing at speed and up hill shale/ downhill baby heads at speed. Tons of fun with mud as well Tried to get to jackman couldnt so went to China I think I dont remember.. I was just trying to stay alive

I'm beat. Heading back there again soon sooooo much fun! \
    mix of atv and dirtbikes. got stopped by ranger 1x she checked our atv stickers and we were good

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

ITS85, mostly old railroad bed. My son was 11 and this was a HUGE deal for him. We camped at the place in Abbott.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    So Just got back from 3 days of riding.
    camped at moosehead lake and had a blast! bike in front of the house and trails across the street

Rode the xr 250r (piston seized at beginning of 2nd day) then rode the xr650r for 1.5 days
    Grreat roads
    day1- 110 miles 60% hi speed 5th gearish rest was 2/3rd gear with good rocks and up hill.s down hills to greenville to forks then back
    day 2 90 miles - less hi speed trails more 2/3 gear up hill / downhil lots of fun and hit up the B-52 site as well
    day3 40 miles. 1/2 maybe 3rd mud , water crossing at speed and up hill shale/ downhill baby heads at speed. Tons of fun with mud as well Tried to get to jackman couldnt so went to China I think I dont remember.. I was just trying to stay alive

I'm beat. Heading back there again soon sooooo much fun! \
    mix of atv and dirtbikes. got stopped by ranger 1x she checked our atv stickers and we were good
    With Eric and Brian?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    With Eric and Brian?
    yup Eric and Brian

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    With Eric and Brian?

you know them how???

hmmmm......

I've known Eric for a few years now and I know Brian through him. We're all Tiger riders.

Jeff