Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Thinking about getting another dirtbike...

Hi guys,
    I don't have much of a goal to this post, but I think that by typing things out it may help me decide whether or not to pull the trigger.
    Here's my thought, I'm thinking about getting a dirtbike (I don't own one currently), specifically the KTM 150 XC or SX, with the 250 xc/sx being a second choice.

The catalyst:
    I just discovered that there is the Rockingham recreational train near my house (I live in Salem, NH), and dirtbikes are allowed. I had thought that there was nowhere to ride nearby, but supposedly it's about 12 miles long, and is run by the state, so I think it's legit. I found the link HERE.

My background:
    I've been riding dirtbikes since I was 10, and other than the last 3 years I've always owned at least one. I'm 31 now. I got pretty big into the motocross scene during my college summers, and got so far as to be sponsored by No Fear. I was pretty fast and got a lot of my riding ability from racing. In fact, my Hyper 821 feels (to me) like a big dirtbike, which I think is partially why I like it so much.
    Fast forward and a couple years ago I sold my dirtbike (a CRF-450r) because I was living in a small apartment, didn't have many tracks to ride at, and didn't feel the desire to race anymore. I was pretty far from my friends that raced, so being by myself made it harder to motivate to go ride/race/practice. At the time, the only riding I did was track riding. At the time money was also not very abundant, so that played a role. Now however I have more than enough money, a huge garage, and the itch.

The idea:
    I think I'd like to get another bike, and get back into some level of trail riding. No interest in racing MX, but I would like something fast enough that if I happened to be near an open practice somewhere, I could hop in and clear some jumps. The main thing holding me back is that I didn't think there was anywhere nearby to ride. Knowing that there's at least an old rail trail that I can legally ride nearby lowers that hurdle a bit. I know it's not single track, and I know it's pretty flat/boring (I've now watched every youtube video of it that there is), but it looks fun nonetheless. Also it's less than 15 min from my house. I'm thinking that having a close place to putt around on would be enough for me to have fun for now, and then once I have the bike, that's incentive to go look a little further away for bigger/better options occasionally. I don't know that I'd get out a lot, but 5 or 6 times/year seems like enough for me to be content.

The bike:
    The number one thing I'm looking for is fun and light. I don't care too much about top speed or abundant power. I've owned a number of both trail and MX bikes, and they've all been 4 strokes. I am pretty handy, having torn down some of the modern Suzuki and Honda engines to rebuild them, and have a good working knowledge of engines in general. I'm interested in a 2 stroke since I've never owned one, they're easier to do maintenance on, and honestly just because I think the simpler design is cooler. The KTM 150sx/xc is the top of my list. Everything I've read has said that they're a total hoot to ride, and they make everyone smile. The light weight really appeals to me so I can muscle it around. Sure I'm a bit big for it (6'4", 215lbs), but I'm very athletic, and have a pretty deep skillset. Besides, I'll probably just drop it off at Factory Connection to get the suspension set for my weight/ability. As far as the motor I think it'll be enough for me (Remember those years ago when Ryan Hughes raced the KTM 125sx in the Nationals?) That's kind of what I envision.
    I'm looking at used, though I could buy new with no loan. I don't need it off the showroom floor, and don't want to pay a premium. I'm looking at 2013+, and see a good number on Craigslist. I will consider the 250/300's as well, as they seem great, but I kind of like the idea of a motor that you really have to manage, versus something more powerful. I suppose it'll depend on availability if I decide to buy.

Anyway, I'm trying to convince myself, but having not ridden the 150 before, or that trail, I'm just a little unsure. Is this a stupid decision, and I should just save my money for something else? Or is this something that will be fun, and hopefully I can find other places that aren't super far away to ride occasionally?

Do any of you have that bike?

I'm open for any thoughts you might have in either direction.
    Thanks for listening,
    -Fr333zy

EDIT - I'm also curious how far 1 tank of gas in the 150sx would go, would that be able to do 24 miles (there and back) on the Rockingham trail?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by fr333zy; 09-16-14 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Added question at the end

Re: Thinking about getting another dirtbike...

I realize it's not what you're looking for, but I have a 350 SXF that I'm seriously thinking about selling. About 35 hours on it, FC revolved suspension, ASV levers, Renthal twinwalls, otherwise stock and in good condition. $4000.

Just thought I'd throw it out there. Otherwise, good luck. Dirty bikes are a lot of fun.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Last edited by Rambunctous; 09-16-14 at 07:49 PM.

If you're basing it only on the Rockingham trail being so close, and your sole riding area, you may want to rethink it. Everything I've read about that trail system is...flat and straight. It's a flat and smooth railbed with stop signs and unlikely to be any fun to a rider with an MX background.
    As for fuel range, depends on your riding style. My XC-W200 smoker I've gotten is little as 30 miles per tank, and upto 100 miles per tank...mine holds about 3 gallons

Yamaha

I just bought a KTM 200 XC-W and I fucking love it.

I don't want to sound like I'm speaking poorly about the Fremont branch of the Rockingham Rail Trail because I still enjoy using it as a route to get to Seacoast Cycle, but it isn't challenging in the least for someone with any appreciable form of dirt biking experience. It's nearly straight, regularly maintained (graded), and has a 25mph speed limit which they do enforce during the summer months. Cruising at 60mph with my 500EXC still isn't pushing it in most sections. If your bike isn't street legal, it's not a riding area you will be trailering your bike to time and time again. The closest real riding area near us is the Hopkinton-Everett Trails which you will see people call HopEv or Clough State Park. All of the state sponsored riding areas can be found here but pay attention to which places allow trail bikes since they are not allowed in some locations: http://www.nhstateparks.org/experien...formation.aspx . Your best bet would be to join a local club, like the Merrimack Valley Trail Riders and you will be able to find many more private areas to ride.

As for the size of the bike, I prefer the big bores so I don't have any helpful information about the small bikes but I can tell you that a MX bike will be harsh in the woods around here compared to an enduro. The super hard suspension meant for jumping doesn't like rocks and roots getting in the way.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 09-16-14 at 08:45 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    If you're basing it only on the Rockingham trail being so close, and your sole riding area, you may want to rethink it. Everything I've read about that trail system is...flat and straight. It's a flat and smooth railbed with stop signs and unlikely to be any fun to a rider with an MX background.
    Agreed...... or fun for a rider without an MX background. I took my WR250 there a couple of times (along with my son and his dirt bike) and for us it got old quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I don't want to sound like I'm speaking poorly about the Fremont branch of the Rockingham Rail Trail because I still enjoy using it as a route to get to Seacoast Cycle, but it isn't challenging in the least for someone with any appreciable form of dirt biking experience.
    This

i don't understand the question. buy dirt bike, done. regrets, none.

Beta 200RR

I'd love a 150SX.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

2nd, 3rd, or whatever the count is up to at this point re: the Rockingham trail. I am a total dirt noob. I ride a street dual-sport (DRZ) converted to a supermoto. I did the Rockingham one day after work.. on my supermoto street tires.. and broke the "speed limit" several times. 10 minutes before hand I was on 93 doing 80 MPH in traffic. It is lame. Next to no challenge at all. You are going to be bored out of your mind instantly.

Walk or bicycle part of the trail before you commit to a machine just for running that trail.

There are a healthy amount of events in the New England area. But you will need to trailer to them. Also, I think having something plated is worth a lot. The 200XC-W mentioned here is platable, I believe. I think one of those may be in my future.

Do you have a tow hitch on your vehicle? If so and it has a reasonable payload (600 lbs is common) a hitch carrier is a good solution for not having to buy a trailer.
    Thinking about getting another dirtbike...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410967396-305136-jpg

I think the ladies are sold separately, then again, they look cheap and used.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I've got a Tacoma and a ramp/straps. I load my Ducati in there for trackdays, so a dirtbike would be really easy thankfully!
    Ha, I'll pass on the ladies.

Hi guys,
    Thanks for all the responses! I hear you loud and clear on the local trail not being exciting/interesting. I'll have to think about that a little bit, because your points are well taken. I think I'd get bored after a few times doing it (maybe the first time?). I hadn't considered joining a club, but if that opens up doors for me, and I can meet some other enthusiasts. I'll do some research on the Hop Ev trails, as well as the Merrimack Valley Trail Riders, thanks for the pointers!

The consensus seems like the 150 is an awesome bike, so I'm happy to hear that (reviews echo that).
    Lots to think about!
    -Fr333zy

I'm in the minority when I'd say the nearby trails are going to be a great motivator for you to get out more if you don't have friends nearby...I used to ride 3-4 times/week when I lived at my parent's house because I rode right from the garage into the backyard...now that I live in socal w' an apt, yes there's bitching riding within a 2 hour drive, but because of the hassle, there are times I'll go 2 months without a dirt ride

riding to/from the spot is pretty sweet...if that's the case, go plated 4-stroke...in between = plated ktm exc300 or xc-w 200...otherwise, get the 150

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-18-14 at 02:03 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

i know it won't be a popular choice here but, if you find a Husky WR/CR 144-165 cheap, grab it. awesome little trail bike that will last forever. '02 and up will work just fine. mad fun.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    i know it won't be a popular choice here but, if you find a Husky WR/CR 144-165 cheap, grab it. awesome little trail bike that will last forever. '02 and up will work just fine. mad fun.
    And YZ125/250 with a safari tank and a kick stand is a great woods weapon too.

I bought a 2014 KTM 300xc and plated it so I could rip from trail to trail. I'm in southern NH myself. If you get a bike and want to ride sometime hit me up.