Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Thinking of getting dirty again.

Thinking of getting dirty again.

Last dirt bike i owned was a 76 Husky 360wr so i'm thinking things have changed a bit. Not looking for a race machine so a 2012 cr450 is out, just looking to do the once a week blast at the local area with some friends. I'm 51 yrs old, 180lbs so maybe a 250 would work but i'm also not interested in working on it every week. And price is an issue-not looking to spend 3k. So what's a good choice? Low maint, easy to ride, no payments. And in reality is it even worth doing this? Trail riding in the town i live in is out, local ban on even riding on your own property. I always liked dirt riding but in reality is it worth dropping the hammer on another bike. I've got 2-3 tracks within 1/2 hr of home so do i look for a full on mx bike that will sit idle for a week or two or a trail bike that i can't ride hard on a mx track. Any thoughts? Am i just trying to relive my youth or should i just stay doing track days on my gsxr?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Re: Thinking of getting dirty again.

Look for a KTM 250 or 300 2-stroke. The 300XC is a great all around bike, works very well for woods and can still handle MX duty. For under $3k, I would shy away from a 4-stroke, especially if you're looking for a small bore bike. At that price range you're going to be buying one that's getting close to needing some cash sunk into it. 2 strokes are a lot cheaper to rebuild, and a lot lighter.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

In my opinion Any 06+ YZ or WR 250 is the lowest Upkeep of any 4 stroke I have owned, Just change oil and filters The valves are Bulletproof.

I started seriously Started riding MX at 39 and I found it it filled the hole left when I retired from Roadracing and Quit riding on the street. I ride twice a week and can basically ride an entire month for what I would spend in one weekend at NHMS. (your costs would be lower cause all my Riding is 60+ miles away) The thing about MX that is cool even if you are slow its still very fun,

It was the best choice I made in years.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

The newer 250 4t arent as bad as people make out for maint. To check the valves on my CRF 250 it takes about 30min from start to finish. They have always been in spec. I think any major brand will be good. For 3k you can pick up a pretty new and good bike. Check out www.nedirtbikes.com. Some good stuff comes up there for sale.

James

There's a 50-50 chance I'll be putting this up for sale:

Suspension is set up for your weight in the woods. Titled and tagged in mass means going from trail to trail with no hassle. It's going to be soft on a track...you might get in the ballpark with compression adjustments, I don't really know.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post
    In my opinion Any 06+ YZ or WR 250 is the lowest Upkeep of any 4 stroke I have owned, Just change oil and filters The valves are Bulletproof.

I started seriously Started riding MX at 39 and I found it it filled the hole left when I retired from Roadracing and Quit riding on the street. I ride twice a week and can basically ride an entire month for what I would spend in one weekend at NHMS. (your costs would be lower cause all my Riding is 60+ miles away) The thing about MX that is cool even if you are slow its still very fun,

It was the best choice I made in years.
    Exactly what he said. I work weekends, and our MX track has weekday practices so I can go. Plus, its a completely new challenge, instead of fighting for thousands of seconds, I make big leaps every time. Plus, like Master of Squirrel said, its a lot cheaper. Me and the wife can go 4 times for the cost of 1 track day.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Sounds like i'm going to be in the market for a 250 4stroke. Thanks alot! LOL

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Lifer

Chip, with the 50mm 'Zoke Magnum's, that looks to be a 1998 250 or 300...

Or you could save 1/3 of the $$ for extras and pick up my 125. Feel free to try it out first to see if it would fit the bill.

Have the stock springs that are for your weight, right now it's sprung for a lighter guy.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

yamaha is lowest maint. 4 stroke... alum frame (06+ minimum price you'll find, $1800 - but spend $2k if you can, and want to ride instead of wrench)... steel frame - $1200 min price, but $1500 will net you a pretty clean bike.

IMO -
    Kawi's like to get themselves out of spec easier (valve clearances)
    Honda has separate gear & motor oil - a pet-peeve.
    Suzuki - same bike as kawi for the years in your price range.
    Yamaha - very tight, reliable bikes - only issue in a 5 YZ250F's I've had was one stator.

2 Strokes - more maint.

Oh, if you end up with a yami, I'll send you a .pdf service manual to make valve checks easier.

My rules (up for argument):

Check clutch & chain adjustment - every ride
    Air Filter - every 5 hours (or after super muddy/sandy ride)
    Spark Plug check/reading - every 5 hours
    Oil - every 10 hours
    Brake inspection - every 10 hours
    Valve Check/Adjust - every 15-20 hours (or when you experience cold or hot start issues) (if you have a yamaha you will seldom need to shim, which is the time consuming bit)
    Once a season - compression check/Top & bottom end inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Chip, with the 50mm 'Zoke Magnum's, that looks to be a 1998 250 or 300...
    99 300. Those are heralded by woods guys, supposedly. The only reason I'm entertaining selling it is I have a small window to buy a new bike and pay it off before my child starts to get expensive, so to speak. Plus, like this one, I expect a new 2t to last forever.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

If your interested, my buddy wants to sell his 05 WR250 - he doesn't really ride, but he bought it new in 06 just to go woods riding with his son who lost interest in motorcycles, so it sat in his garage for several years...I think it has 15, maybe 20 hours max on it, and it's only seen the small woodsy area around his house. I did the oil, gas, air filter and put a new battery in it last summer for him and it's been at my place ever since. I think he'd be happy with anything over 2k, and I'd like to get my garage space back.

Still has the original tires on it....
    Thinking of getting dirty again.-wr250-jpg

2008 Fisher-Price Kawi 12VDC
    Exide hi-performance battery
    Frost-King duct tape reinforced steering damper
    Topps "Garbage Pail Kids" custom graphics

whoa chip...trials tire?

and I know a lot of people here have mentioned cheap, and imho - you won't have cheap if it's not mechanically sound...check it well!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-18-12 at 10:34 AM.

Yeah Bhavesh. Works great in everything, giving up a little in the deep sugar sand, and a little more than that in long high speed corners.
    Slide, point, and shoot its fine, but lean it over and keep it pinned, and rail a long ass turn it's not too inspiring.
    The bike should be replaced in the next two weeks by something a little newer.

Good luck in your search.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet