Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumb brakes

Thumb brakes

Does anyone use or have experience with a thumb rear brake on their dirty ride? I've been mulling over the idea since I started riding dirt. My feet at big and uncoordinated and I like to stand on my toes while riding so my rear brakes seem to to get used less than they really should. I see kits for about $300 which would be well worth it if they work as advertised. Any info is appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Re: Thumb brakes

That seems like a bad idea to me. I think modifying your lever so you can get to it is a better idea. And just learning to shift your feet.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

That shit's for stunters. Grip and rip.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

ive been thinking about this mod as well for my woods bike.

looked at the Rekluse and one other company (forget the name). they use a finger lever rather than a thumb though.

Beta 200RR

I've only seen videos...looks pretty cool

imho - even if you get feedback from people, you're only going to know if it works by trying it yourself. And unfortunately you're only way of trying is to buy it...so it's a money/risk to "try it out" - I usually don't take that route, so I'd recommend what smutty mentioned

Yeah I could use a rekluse for similar money before the thumb brake I'm sure. I've rear of some people removing the clutch lever with the recluse and using a rear brake lever there instead. I wouldn't go that route. The internets is full of haters and lovers of it. I don't have any good muscle memory for the rear brake so it should be easy to switch physically. It's also something I wouldn't mind trying on the track bike if it works out for the dirty bike.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Yeah I could use a rekluse for similar money before the thumb brake I'm sure. I've rear of some people removing the clutch lever with the recluse and using a rear brake lever there instead. I wouldn't go that route. The internets is full of haters and lovers of it. I don't have any good muscle memory for the rear brake so it should be easy to switch physically. It's also something I wouldn't mind trying on the track bike if it works out for the dirty bike.
    the reckluse at least lets you brake without a clutch then you can feather as necessary to power out of any corner, or just straight chug that thing. then there's the clake dual lever...super fancy geek tech thats pricey as can be.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

i was talking about the Rekluse LH Rear Brake Kit ... there is another company i was looking at, feel like they were Australian but cant find the link. maybe it's the dual lever thing Chipper mentioned above. i'll try to find it but here's the Rekluse kit

http://www.rekluse.com/brake.shtml

Beta 200RR

Adjust the brake lever so it's above the peg a touch, and get a stiffer return spring on it. If you can't find one, a washer plus a valve spring on the master can add some return pressure too. That'll give you some feedback in your foot to work against allowing you to 'read' what you're doing.

I can see a lot of advantages to a hand rear brake in woods/trail riding. Down hill + sharp right hand turn + low speeds... and a 2-stroke are the first things that come to mind.
    I know when I was in Europe a couple years ago, the fast enduro guys all had hand rear brakes...it has to tell you something?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Not for me.....I feel that when you should be using your back brake you hands already have plenty to do. Clutching, throttling and braking as well as steering input are plenty for your hands to do. Once your skills advance you will be doing all three at the same time.

Just practice a lot. Learning to modulate the back brake is a great skill to learn.
    Whether you are entering a corner or adjusting front end attitude in the air, rear brake skills are important. Not so much for slowing down but for so much else. Don't get me wrong. You can get a certain amount of braking from the rear but mostly it is tool for steering and attitude adjustment.

Slightly off topic bump. Left hand rear brake.

I'm getting no better this year using the foot brake. It's especially bad going down gnarly hills. Generally it causes me to have to sit (or feel like I have to sit) when I should be standing, so I'm entertaining the idea of the LHRB now. I almost ordered one a few minutes ago, the one typeone posted from rekluse, and remembered this thread. Is anyone running that setup? It seems pretty common over on KTM talk. That setup lets you keep the rear foot lever and is thin mounting for use along side the clutch lever. My bike has the rekluse so clutch use is less than normal.

Thoughts are appreciated

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Banned

You dont take money risks? Really?

edit: this was in response to breakdirts post. Forgot to quote him and lost all humor.

Carry on.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Degsy; 11-25-13 at 11:52 PM.

Slightly off topic bump. Left hand rear brake.

I'm getting no better this year using the foot brake. It's especially bad going down gnarly hills. Generally it causes me to have to sit (or feel like I have to sit) when I should be standing, so I'm entertaining the idea of the LHRB now. I almost ordered one a few minutes ago, the one typeone posted from rekluse, and remembered this thread. Is anyone running that setup? It seems pretty common over on KTM talk. That setup lets you keep the rear foot lever and is thin mounting for use along side the clutch lever. My bike has the rekluse so clutch use is less than normal.

Thoughts are appreciated
    i go back and forth on this mod all the time... because i'm the exact same way, no good with the rear brake when standing and it drives me nuts. i sit to rear brake. hate it ! totally burned into my mellon for some reason.

i'm committed to practice more before altering my levers. i started thinking about it this way, i know how to use the shifter while standing, why not the brake. maybe this will help my brain get over the hurdle. not sure. next season will tell. i think it's the way i keep my foot on the peg. the left is fine moving, the right, no-can-do while standing. WTF

Last edited by typeone; 11-26-13 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Canadian moment
    Beta 200RR

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

this is an interesting idea. i can see the advantages. i am struggling with the rear brake a little as well. i think the lever may be a bit high though for standing. sitting is OK. with boots on feel is obviously greatly reduced, and when standing i tend to lock up the rear more easily, thus causing me to depend on the front brake a little more in downhill situations. not really what i want.
    im gonna have to save up my pennies for a rekluse, although i must admit how impressed i am with the 300s ability to just chug along at barely an idle and then power out of it. it would still be nice to not have to worry about the clutch

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I still use the clutch. It's not something you forget. I use it mainly to loft the front tire and in whiskey throttle control. Still way less use than stock. It really shines in those sticky situations like when you get to a gnarly, muddy, rock pit or a rooted rocky hill. You know the places you just hate to stall. Also, when you crash and the bike is still running. I called rekluse and found out my brake light switch will still work with their kit. I'm gonna do it!

Last edited by maxim_X; 11-29-13 at 10:00 AM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

CHEATER!

Beta 200RR

I don't get why you would have to sit to use the rear brake unless your lever height is way off.

Coming from a sand/mx background, you damn sure get used to using it while standing, and while coming in wfo over VW bug sized braking bumps where there's no way in the world you could be sitting, because you'd get bucked off the bike. As Adam pointed out above, its needed in the air too, and you can't be sitting then, either.

All good dirt riders I ever knew had ALL controls set for body geometry while standing, not just the rear brake. One of the most consistent woods riders told me once regarding riding off road fast, "if you sit down, you go down"

I don't know if the height has much to do with it. It's just something I can't get the hang of. It's uncomfortable and takes a lot of concentration to control while standing for me. Anyway, it may be cheating, but anything to make riding fast safer and easier should be worth it. A lot of people on KTM talk say they will never go back to a conventional setup again.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Yeah, I can see how it would make sense, especially in slow tight right handers.

Back when I was riding a lot of dirt, nobody I knew of ever had a hand rear brake, and frankly the terrain didn't demand a lot of finesse with it...most of the time, (sand mx or tight woods) there wasn't much reason not to give it a solid stomp and let it lock for a second or two, then release it to accelerate out...it wasn't like we were trying to use finesse to trail brake with it, most of the time, but I get that there is always ice riding, or the steep wet leaves downhill, etc, where some finesse is needed.

we,re talking about technical, steep downhill sections and fast, tight switchbacks. this is where a LHRB (could) would shine.

Beta 200RR

Update.

I got a few short trail rides in and 2 JDay races since the LHRB install. I chose the one from rekluse themselves that uses a MTB master and short lever. It was well worth every cent. It's quickly becoming another bike transforming item nearly on the level of the auto clutch. I kept my clutch lever canted high and the rear brake pedal works like normal. The LHRB has just enough power to lock the wheel, but a normal squeez gives perfect half rear wheel speed. I can't say enough good about it.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I gave it a quick testicle, and I can confirm its radness. It's on the list, right after a refresh.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

When are you guys bolting up the power steering to your dirt bikes?

Update.

I got a few short trail rides in and 2 JDay races since the LHRB install. I chose the one from rekluse themselves that uses a MTB master and short lever. It was well worth every cent. It's quickly becoming another bike transforming item nearly on the level of the auto clutch. I kept my clutch lever canted high and the rear brake pedal works like normal. The LHRB has just enough power to lock the wheel, but a normal squeez gives perfect half rear wheel speed. I can't say enough good about it.
    Haven't researched it, but what does the little gizmo go for $$ wise? I plan to do a lot more riding this year, and this thing may help force me to stand more..and not fall off the bike as much

Yamaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast