Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Tire Changing, The Shop, Carbs, etc.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Tire Changing, The Shop, Carbs, etc.

Got a flat on my KX125 rear wheel. Against a buddies advice, I convinced him to help me change the tube (he'd done this before). He warned me I was going to regret this. He warned me we might pinch the new tube. He warned me it was going to take long enough and involve enough smashing of knuckles that it just wasn't worth it, and even if we got it right it didn't come with the satisfaction of fixing something that matters, like a carb or a top end. Basically, he told me so.

We tried. We struggled. We smashed knuckles. We failed. Apparently we pinched the tube in the process, because it still didn't take air after the fact. Damnit!

Defeated, I dropped it at my local shop. Didn't even ask how much, just asked them to change it. No rush, I am not riding for a bit anyway, etc.

While we were there I introduced my boss to the mechanic so my boss could ask them if they'd fix the carb on his POS Kandi ATV. They agreed to fix his quad, which had countless amounts of time into trying to figure out what was wrong with it. This was yesterday. They called later yesterday, quad is done. Turns out someone had epoxied an overflow closed on the carb at some point, probably because gas was coming out there due to a misadjusted float. Drill out the overflow, put on some tubing, adjust the needle and floats, get it running well, throw a new plug in because the old one was no-name and fouled, throw a couple missing bolts in the chain guard, put some foam in the air box because there was none, threw a clamp on the muffler because the bracket is broken and it was loose… I’m sure I’m forgetting some stuff.

His bill for all that, bolts, plug, drilling the carb, adjusting the carb, new overflow tube, foam in the air filter, etc. was fifty-something dollars. I forget the exact #, but it was under $60. It had a bad battery too and they didn’t even try to push a new one on him, said that it didn’t seem too bad and he should try to charge it before giving up and buying a new one.

As for my rear wheel… $15 labor. Cleaned it up (I tried to fix-a-flat it as a crutch to get one ride in after f*ing up the new tube), installed the new tube, inflated, good to go.

I got a lot of satisfaction out of doing my top end a few weeks back, saving some stuff I wasn’t sure if I could save, rebuilding the carb and being rewarded with my bike running better than it ever has. I like doing my own work. Some shit though… just gotta pay the shop. For $15 I will never try to change a dirt bike tire again, unless it’s a night before the ride type emergency.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Tire Changing, The Shop, Carbs, etc.

I wish my shop would work that cheap...

Paul_E_D

I was pleased, but not terribly surprised. Well, I was a bit surprised about all they did to my boss’s bike for that $, I figured it was just a carb adjustment and 1 hour labor. When we got there and he went over all he did, the new bolts, plug, drilling the carb, inserting foam into the airbox, clamping the exhaust, etc. I was a bit surprised. Still not shocked though, these guys have always been damn good to me and anybody I bring there. I assume they're good to everyone but I wouldn't really know how they treat a walk-in off the street, I work across the street so if one of my friends is going there I use it as an excuse to swing by (not that I need an excuse, I go by all the time). It’s a small shop and they do good work for cheap. A new plug for my bike was $2.75, not sure what the going rate is but I expected it to be closer to $4. The tire change was about what I expected. What’s the going rate?

One thing is for damn sure… for $15 a pop I hope I never change another tube on my own again.

I live in somersworth, what shop are you referring to ?

I've always changed my tires and tubes on my dirtbikes myself, my local dealers would probably charge $60-$80 and keep it for 2 or 3 days.
    As long as I use a lubricant like dish soap to get the tire on its usually isn't that bad.
    For $15 though I would have someone else do it as well.

Chris
    LRRS Expert #160

Quote Originally Posted by puckoach View Post
    I live in somersworth, what shop are you referring to ?
    Shop is by my work in Newburyport, MA. It's Seacoast Cycle, but not the big one everyone talks about. small time owner plus a couple dudes shop.