Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Tires

Tires

I have a good set of Dunlop 952's on my KDX - I can keep them and run them, or I can stud them for the ice and run something different (better.)

Most of my riding will be MA south shore. Plenty of lose sand, lots of lose rock and rock faces, some mud. Preference is for single track woods riding. I'll make trips to HVD, Franklin, and Freetown pretty regularly now.

I don't really have a lot of dirt experience, haven't run alternatives. What do you guys recommend for the terrain? I understand my 952's are a long life tire. My experience says long life equals giving up traction. I don't mind throwing a few hundred at a set of tires every couple of months to run something nice.

Trials style rear? I hear it's tits. Anyone have any experience?

All opinions are great, particularly if you frequent the terrain I ride.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Re: Tires

Othe ideal setup is to have two sets of wheels with a trials tire and a knob mounted up.
    Assuming you aren't going to go that deep, I'd run what you have until their dead. If you don't have a lot of dirty experience, you've a long way to go before a tire makes the difference.
    That said, my current set up is a irc ve33(or 35, whichever is the front) and a Pirelli mt16 rear. Both are a standard knob pattern. The irc is stiffer, and has a real good side lip that protects the rim. The rear is the industry standard here in New England. They work well, they last decent, and they aren't ridiculously expensive. There are lots of other options, but that's just what I'm on now. Bridgestone m59 is a favorite front in the region, but the side knobs rip off real easy, which has deterred me from buying them. I like a trials tire. I'd run it if I knew it wasn't going to be too slippery.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I've run the M59 from MT16 rear before. Some run MT16 front and rear. I liked both. Now I really dig on the Vee Rubber rear tires. There is a local distributer, but he is kinda hard to get a hold of sometimes. I've been getting them off amazon. The Vee rubber 300 tackle has almost too much traction, but, it doesn't last as long as some of the others. Amazon.com: Vee Rubber VRM300 Knobby Rear Tire 120/100-18 TT Tackee

For the front I'm digging the golden tyre 216aa fat tire. I'm on my first one. People say it last forever. It's kinda different than most tires, its very tall and wide so there is extra cushion in the rocks and more float on the sand. Kevin Discount in Norton Golden Tyre - GT 216 AA - Kevin's sells them or you can order them here Golden Tyre 216AA Fat Tire - ZipTy Racing Products.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Thanks for the opinions. It's not so much that I feel like I need new tires for me to be better - more that if what I'm running now is junk or for the wrong terrain, I'll stud them for ice and mount rubber that's suited for my needs.

Keep it coming.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Sand and rock are divergent terrain with very different tire needs. Any soft terrain tire with long knobs will disintegrate quickly in the woods around NE.

Paul_E_D

i've still been sticking with my favs... Motoz Tractionator Enduro S/T. 12psi front, 8psi rear. amazing grip in rocks/wet/sand/mud. we rode rocky shit uphill in the rain earlier this year, up a flowing river bed essentially, couldn't believe how much traction i had. super stiff sidewalls so you can run the rear down to even 7psi without worry. i use HD tubes, but not the ultra HD.

being an S/T tire, they work really well in sand/mud but of course, like Paul said, they don't last very long when riding a lot of rocks. i'm starting to average 2 rears per season, the front i can get two seasons or more. i think that's pretty damn good. riding less rock, you can easily get a few seasons out of them.

they do make an H/T and I/T in this tire, but the S/T was recommended to me for the mixed terrain we have here. they sell like hot cakes out in the PNW.

Beta 200RR

My trail wings look pretty trail worthy, but as I've found out they are pretty slick. Would reducing the pressure change it significantly, or am I still better off swapping to new tires? There isn't much for mileage on them and my future consists of more off road than on.

it all depends on what terrain you will be riding exactly. if you are on singe track with some hills , places where traction is necessary get some knobbies.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Mainly at HVD.

What about the Michelin M12/S12 combo? I've heard good things about them, but haven't decoded the sizes which I hear differ from other brands.

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Found a good deal at a local shop on some kenda trakmasters. They look similar to the mt16, not the exact lug placement. Anyone run these with any luck? All the well reviewed northeast tires look rather similar to me, and coming from the stock tires, knob bikes and lower pressure are gonna feel completely foreign to me either way. Any reviews? Or do I call them back and get something different?

I was on a Kenda Trackmaster 2 in back and it worked well for me. It's a HEAVY tire, but wears 'like iron'.

RE: Kenda Trackmasters, just got this in my inbox yesterday from TT...

Kenda K760 Trakmaster II Tires Review

Beta 200RR

I'm still happy with the gt216aa fat tire. I picked this rear Kenda trials/knobby hybrid at Cliffs. I haven't tried it yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43192[/ATTACH

It's replacing my Vee Rubber 300 tackee. The V rubber works well, but it doesn't last very long. 8-10 hours at most.

Tires-image-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires-image-jpg  

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    I'm still happy with the gt216aa fat tire.
    where did you say you picked that up from again? i'd like to try one. looked like the perfect rock companion.

Beta 200RR

You can get them at Golden Tyre - GT 216 AA - Kevin's

Mini review of the Kenda Equilibrium:
    This is a hybrid knobby / trials see pic in above post. I bought it on a whim at cliffs, to try it out after having good luck with a full trials V rubber. After buying it I read some reviews that described it as a tire great for lugging and technical riding, and for this who don't slide and spin a lot. It sounded perfect for my style of riding. My first ride on it was today, at the Mattapoisett hair scramble. At 10 PSI cold, it had some incredible grip in a straight line. I found the bike would wheelie where it would normally spin with a knobby. That's about the only 'good' thing I can say about the tire. The unexpected wheelies actually kind fucked me up. Other than that the tire let go of traction unpredictably. As soon as it started to spin it would slip to the moon. It made getting on the throttle hard almost impossible. The back of the bike would come out fast and hard exiting a turn. In the muck and slime it was pretty much the same story, the tire had plenty of grip until it spun, then it would spin for days. Anyway it's coming off and I'll spoon a new Vee-Rubber 300 takee on. If anyone wants to try the Kenda, throw me a 6er of some tasty brew and it's yours. It has about 2 hours on it.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    If anyone wants to try the Kenda, throw me a 6er of some tasty brew and it's yours. It has about 2 hours on it.
    Size? I have a 19" rear...

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Sorry bro. 18.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Good. I keep my beer!

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice