Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

tires

Re: tires

i keep reading great things about the Shinko, grab one and give it a go. i was going to try one but bought the Motoz Arena instead. throwing it on this week.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

tested the Motoz Arena Hybrid yesterday at the Sprint Enduro, didn't like it. it's taller and skinnier than my go-to Tractionator which messed with switchback brake/gas cornering feel. it did better on straight climbs but i def prefer the Tractionator for all-around use. i suspect a trials tire lover would be into it, the knobs are tall and meaty, tiny bit soft but not gummy.

anyone want a 1-use Arena for cheap?

Beta 200RR

Yep!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Good feedback.

Yesterday was my first really good test of the Golden Fatty front in shitty conditions. It's pretty hard to get it to slip. It will but you got to get pretty aggressive or careless. It's wearing pretty quickly like the MT16 rear. But Fuck it. The traction is so worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Yep!
    if you're serious i'll let you know when i pull it. riding Sat AM at HVD so i'll prob swap back to the I/T beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Good feedback.

Yesterday was my first really good test of the Golden Fatty front in shitty conditions. It's pretty hard to get it to slip. It will but you got to get pretty aggressive or careless. It's wearing pretty quickly like the MT16 rear. But Fuck it. The traction is so worth it.
    the Fatty will look like it's wearing but will continue to be good stuff. i've got one season on mine and it's doing great. been realizing that higher pressures are more betterer. my guage was reading 13 but i think it's off, used a buddys guage a few weeks ago and put much higher pressure in, like 14/15, was awesome in the sharp rock.

Beta 200RR

Yes, I'm serious. Mrs Ripper has some conference next weekend, or else I'd bring Bergie Sanders up for a rip.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I'll try some higher pressures to see how she feels. I've run 10 most of the time. Been as low as 6. That was too vague at speed. Great in the slow descents. 8-10 has made me happiest. But I'll give 13 a go.

I'll be tickled to buy one a year. Even two would not make me blink.

I think I need to get my MT16 rears in 6 packs. Lol. Although they still hold well even when rounded off. The river loop was pretty nasty yesterday and it worked great. Ran it at 6 PSI and it grabbed the wet rocks really good. I watched Bubbs scale a rock face that had LOWSIDE written in big letters and he ran up than across it like a cat on carpet.

Lifer

I watched Bubbs scale a rock face that had LOWSIDE written in big letters and he ran up than across it like a cat on carpet.
    This is completely true. I was fatigued and not thinking clearly. I just pointed the bike thataway and applied (a little) throttle. Missy mountain goat went up one side and down the other. Bigass, mossy, wet leaf covered boulder. I have video; I even muttered "can't believe that worked" into the camera.

I'm running the golden child front and MT16, same as Herr trailboss here. Difference is I'm running traditional tubes and keep the pressures in the 13-15 territory because I'm a biggun and worried about pinch flats. Hanging with Adam has me thinking of ponying up for that tubliss blingage.

What I like best about the golden is the sidewall tread. Sticks even when the bike is pushed way, way over. Way better than the IRCs I had on before. I tend to be sloppy about where I put my front headed into a rut and the golden forgives where the IRC would kick out, often into a face plant.

I still spin-up the MT16, especially on climbs. But I think that's on me and my (lack of) clutch skills.

I should probably try dropping the rear's pressure a bit too.

Last edited by nhbubba; 10-30-16 at 08:03 PM.

13- 15 is too high. With super duty tubes there is very little risk of a flat in anything more than single digit psi. I had succes with that tire at 11 psi.

Update on the golden tire GT216 REAR: I like the fatty front so much that indeceded to get a match set and try the rear to make a match set. The rear is FIM legal and I wasn't aware what that mean before I bought the tire. Basically they limit the knob height to try and preserve the trails or something to that effect. The tire's knobs end up being 2/3 to 3/4 the height of a standard knobbie. Keeping that in mind it was impressive. During the race yesterday I stalled on a hill climb and I could regain traction if I didn't spin the tire. For general use it in loam, dirt, light mud, rocks and roots it performed well. I wasn't conscious of the tire for most of the race. There is an issue with the tire though. When it does lose traction it tends to lose all of it. It's something I experienced with trials tire's and the hybrid trials I tried. With an mt16 or the veerubbers that I like traction loss is more gradual and easier to control and even when the tire spins it still has grip. It's not a bit deal until you're in third or fourth pinned and the back end steps out wide.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

..LOWSIDE written in big letters and he ran up than across it like a cat on carpet.
    Climb in question.

I don't deserve to be treated so good.

Is anyone running tubeless?

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoXzilla View Post
    Is anyone running tubeless?
    Rada is

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Climb in question.

I don't deserve to be treated so good.
    i might chalk that up to smooth throttle/clutch more than tire. slick is slick.

Beta 200RR

That vid does Zero justice for what he did there. I sat there in amazement that he headed up it. Giddy even when he made it..
    The dude has some skillz.

I'm not trying to take anything away from bubs here, but I feel like anybody could scamper up most things like that so long as they don't stop at the bottom and assess. Like, just keep going. And then be smart with the clutch and throttle.
    Maybe it's what I'm not seeing that the camera took away

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

There really wasn't any runup. I cut the beginning where I had to rock the bike back and forth just to get it pointed that way. I wasn't looking up the trail very well and got myself into a corner there.

Moreso, watch the arc that front takes. I put the front in the saddle between the base of the tree and the rock, on what little soil there was there. That was fine. But after that the front continues to arc across the face of a the boulder and it should have given out. The camera flattens everything; it was pretty steep and the bike was still climbing, I was still using the rear to climb while asking the front turn. Interesting balance between F&R traction and both stuck. That the front stuck in that circumstance comes back to what I was saying about the notable sidewall traction on the Fatty. It seems to grip when the tire is laid over very well. I can climb the inside of ruts with this thing when I badly blow the line through a corner. That was guaranteed face plant before.

It's also confidence inspiring when you wick it up. You can trail brake with this tire. I've grown a lot of confidence with higher corner entry speed, dragging the rear into corners, even inducing a slide using clutch and front brake all because I have confidence the front is going to stay where I put it. Starting to cross some of the pavement sumo skills I learned at school at boxshop into the dirt. I hope this will translate back too.

I'm jazzed to race that kart course next year. Want to get my slides down. In a way I think spiffy tires for the two hunny will help that cause.

I'm not trying to take anything away from bubs here, but I feel like anybody could scamper up most things like that so long as they don't stop at the bottom and assess. Like, just keep going. And then be smart with the clutch and throttle.
    Maybe it's what I'm not seeing that the camera took away
    Non taken

No doubt most peeps get screweded by the stop and gawk. Best to use the force and just go with the flow.

Yes, I'm serious. Mrs Ripper has some conference next weekend, or else I'd bring Bergie Sanders up for a rip.
    Chip, sorry i went dark on this, been working around the clock, no bike stuff for weeks ... the Arena is now unmounted, only has that one ride on it. if you're still intersted let me know.

Beta 200RR

In.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

don't worry about being DOT legal in NH, not a requirement unless your riding on the interstate highway system (NH is known to thumb it's nose at federal regulations)

Section 215-A:37 Knobby Pattern Tires.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

...which have been registered for highway use...

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    the state has to get it's registration money 2 times over though, my UTV cost twice as much as my Jeep to register for the street, at least street plating a dirtbike isn't as bad (unless of course you include the cost of turn signals, lights etc.)

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Had my first failure with the Tubliss system. I managed to pinch the high pressure inner bladder where it goes around the rim lock. Caused a flat on the front. The good part is that the tire was still somehow held tight to the rim and I was still able to ride at speed. It actually felt better as the speed increased. At low speed there was so much side bite that it steered hard and would walk up the sides of ruts easy. Once in second gear that went away.

I wonder if I had it installed a little wonky and that is why I got the pinch?? Hard telling not knowing. I put a regular tube in for now and will get a new inner for the tubliss..

hmm. every season i think about going TUbliss but read about a lot of failures. they seem susceptible to damage around the stem as well. i guess there was a revision on that issue though (?)

Beta 200RR

Slavens has been testing the Motoz Arena Hybrid and likes it, new review vid below.

i still have one of these for sale with one ride on it if anyone is interested: $70.

Chip, if you see this, not sure if you're still interested, if yes, PM me. i didn't hear back after our last exchange. no sweat either way.

Beta 200RR

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast