Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

knee brace??

knee brace??

so after going out this past weekend and smashing my knee of the handle bars i figure now is a good time to really give knee brace's a good look. you know before i do any real damage. ive been looking around and ive narrowed it down to 2. the mobius x8 and the pod mx k8 2.0. do any of you have experiences with any of these? any other recommendation for a very beginner rider?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2016 triumph street triple R
    "A Journey must begin with one step"

Lifer

Re: knee brace??

I have the Pod K8's. Mine must be v1 or something. I bought mine after fucking my knee up and needing surgery. (Barn door. Horse came home. All that.) They are good, but a bit more fidgety than I wish they were. Also beware the plastic knee pad insert pops out really easy; very easy to lose. Fortunately they sell replacements. My biggest complaints are that they are pain in the ass to get on and bulky. Still, I've worn them under (road-race) leathers with success.

I cross shopped the mobius braces. Very well regarded. I know some local cats (NEMM guys) that use them and like them. I can't remember why I bought the pods instead.

Before that I had Leatt Dual Axis pads. Great pads. Way, way more convenient. But obviously not the same level of protection as full braces.

My advice with gear is always buy once cry once. Quality protective gear is always money well spent.

Last edited by nhbubba; 03-25-20 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I have the Pod K8's. Mine must be v1 or something. I bought mine after fucking my knee up and needing surgery. (Barn door. Horse came home. All that.) They are good, but a bit more fidgety than I wish they were. Also beware the plastic knee pad insert pops out really easy; very easy to lose. Fortunately they sell replacements. My biggest complaints are that they are pain in the ass to get on and bulky. Still, I've worn them under (road-race) leathers with success.

I cross shopped the mobius braces. Very well regarded. I know some local cats (NEMM guys) that use them and like them. I can't remember why I bought the pods instead.

Before that I had Leatt Dual Axis pads. Great pads. Way, way more convenient. But obviously not the same level of protection as full braces.

My advice with gear is always buy once cry once. Quality protective gear is always money well spent.
    ya i read your old post.
    the mobius come highly recommended from alot of people.
    ya im on the buy once cry once plan lol

Lifer

I posted about them? Of course I did..
    I don't remember what I said. Was it similar to this post?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I posted about them? Of course I did..
    I don't remember what I said. Was it similar to this post?
    Hahaha ya back in 2017

Ya you said you went with the POD lol

Lifer

I resisted wearing knee pads, as in the past, I hated them. I smashed my knee cap three times, very hard each time, before concluding time to suck it up. I have a pair of Leatt pads that work great, and are pretty comfortable. They're nearing end of life though, and looking at replacing them soon.

I was pretty gung-ho to get some prophylactic knee braces next. Then I strapped on another rider's medical-issue knee brace. Pretty sure it was a DonJoy. And it felt way less comfortable than I was expecting. Maybe I need a radically different fit from him, but it felt roughly correct, just uncomfortable. That's kinda pushed out my interest. That said, I've definitely strained my knee a couple times that has me worried about MCL/ACL injuries. But if your primary concern is banging the knee cap, I think you'll actually find better impact absorption in standard knee pads. They just offer zero protection on hyper extension.

Apparently some health insurers will help on the cost of a knee brace if you have a doctor's note. Apparently some doctors are willing to write one if you tell them what you're trying to accomplish. But ~20 years ago, the orthopedic community believed it was best to avoid a brace at all costs. Theory was best to let the knee be strong on it's own. I'm not sure they got that one right, and I think some of that is very slowly changing. In rare cases, some insurers cover them as a prophylactic device - meaning pre-injury. I called, and my BCBS didn't, or whatever it was didn't matter enough to remember. If you're hard set on the cry-once buy-once mindset, I think a custom-fitted pair of DonJoy's or CTi's is around $1500-$2000 out of pocket.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I resisted wearing knee pads, as in the past, I hated them. I smashed my knee cap three times, very hard each time, before concluding time to suck it up. I have a pair of Leatt pads that work great, and are pretty comfortable. They're nearing end of life though, and looking at replacing them soon.

I was pretty gung-ho to get some prophylactic knee braces next. Then I strapped on another rider's medical-issue knee brace. Pretty sure it was a DonJoy. And it felt way less comfortable than I was expecting. Maybe I need a radically different fit from him, but it felt roughly correct, just uncomfortable. That's kinda pushed out my interest. That said, I've definitely strained my knee a couple times that has me worried about MCL/ACL injuries. But if your primary concern is banging the knee cap, I think you'll actually find better impact absorption in standard knee pads. They just offer zero protection on hyper extension.

Apparently some health insurers will help on the cost of a knee brace if you have a doctor's note. Apparently some doctors are willing to write one if you tell them what you're trying to accomplish. But ~20 years ago, the orthopedic community believed it was best to avoid a brace at all costs. Theory was best to let the knee be strong on it's own. I'm not sure they got that one right, and I think some of that is very slowly changing. In rare cases, some insurers cover them as a prophylactic device - meaning pre-injury. I called, and my BCBS didn't, or whatever it was didn't matter enough to remember. If you're hard set on the cry-once buy-once mindset, I think a custom-fitted pair of DonJoy's or CTi's is around $1500-$2000 out of pocket.

Good info
    That's why I'm leaning towards the mobius. It looks like it has more knee protection than the POD.
    while I am on the buy once cry once I cant cry that much hahaha.