Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

TTR 225 value and use?

TTR 225 value and use?

Hi,

My 15 year old has a TTR125 but has outgrown it. Just to ride with him I got an old CR80, but it is really too small of a bike for me.
    I am more a trails guy, my son likes to also hit the tracks (not that he's very good at it....)

I found someone who is selling 2 x 2001 Yamaha 225 TTR for $ 2,000.
    The bikes appear to be in good shape. Is that a good price? From what I have seen, individual 2001 TTR 225's go for anywhere from 1000 to 1400.

Would the TTR 225 be a good bike for my son? Keep in mind that he likes to hit the tracks. Or would a 2-stroke 125 be better?
    Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: TTR 225 value and use?

It's a trail bike. It's not an mxer or even a woods shredder. But it's alot more forgiving than a 125 motocrosser.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Berrie View Post
    Hi,

My 15 year old has a TTR125 but has outgrown it. Just to ride with him I got an old CR80, but it is really too small of a bike for me.
    I am more a trails guy, my son likes to also hit the tracks (not that he's very good at it....)

The bikes appear to be in good shape. Is that a good price? From what I have seen, individual 2001 TTR 225's go for anywhere from 1000 to 1400.

Would the TTR 225 be a good bike for my son? Keep in mind that he likes to hit the tracks. Or would a 2-stroke 125 be better?
    Thanks!
    I wouldnt get him a 2-stroke 125cc its not really a trail bike plus from what Ive been told you need to do a lot of work to keep 2-strokes running. I would go for the TTR225 they are good size bikes and being four stroke they will perform better on slow trails.

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney54 View Post
    I wouldnt get him a 2-stroke 125cc its not really a trail bike plus from what Ive been told you need to do a lot of work to keep 2-strokes running. I would go for the TTR225 they are good size bikes and being four stroke they will perform better on slow trails.

Just my .02

Nothing wrong with a 125 for the trails. I had one. Its actually a good bike to learn on because they are a bit difficult to ride smooth. They require a lot of clutch work and the ability to think ahead and pick your line. My 250 is a ton easier to ride but Im a better rider because of my 125.

As for keeping a two stroke running. Its quite simple. Change the piston every now and then. My four stroke is more of a pain in the ass.

James

A TTR 225 is a big heavy ladies bike for riding the gravel roads near a campground.
    An MX bike like a YZ125 is a real race bike that weighs around 70 lbs. less than the TTR and has modern suspension. Both are easily found for $1000 and both are easy to ride, yet they are worlds apart. Both are dirt cheap to maintain. The highest maintenance would be 250 4 stroke race bikes made before 2008. (except for Yamaha being good back to 2004).

The 125 2 stroke mx class had the biggest attendance for over 20 years at every track in the country before 2002. 125 2 stroke didn't become "hard to ride" until the advertising told us they were hard to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Berrie View Post
    Hi,

Thanks!
    I have seen newer TTR225's for less the $1500, wait a few weeks, you should pick one up for less than a grand!

125 for sure if you son wants to have fun on a MX track.
    Unless he rides like a demon all the time and never cleans the air filter the top end should last at least 2 seasons.

I ride my Cr250 Occasionally now days. The top end has not been replaced in 10 years.
    Even when I was hardcore I would get nearly 100 hours out of a piston. 3 -4 nights of practice every week with 2 classes at the track every weekend all summer long.

A YZ in particular will be a good bike. Yamaha refined the piss out of this machine. From the early to mid nineties on it is a good solid reliable machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
    The 125 2 stroke mx class had the biggest attendance for over 20 years at every track in the country before 2002. 125 2 stroke didn't become "hard to ride" until the advertising told us they were hard to ride.
    I forgot you have yet to try my 250. Its so much easier to ride then my 125 was. They were both set up the same way. The bigger motor allows for more mistakes especially on hills. Kind of like the one hill you got stuck on at Oxford My 250 would have motored up easy if I didnt stop so I would have run you over. Next time we go out we will have to do a swap.

There is nothing wrong with a 125 2 stroke. It will make you a better rider since you have to manage the bikes power properly.

James