Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

typeone's Beta build (200RR)

Lifer

Re: typeone's Beta build (200RR)

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I parked all my bikes for now
    Why? Seems like the perfect time to be riding them.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Depending on where you are, being on the roads/trails for pleasure is a fineable offense.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Depending on where you are, being on the roads/trails for pleasure is a fineable offense.
    What state says you can't go outside alone for exercise? I haven't seen that yet, but I'm not following the details in other states.

nedirtriders.com

@typeone - anything ya working on?

----------------------------------------------

not trying to derail here...this is more Covid thread material

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    1.) tying up of resources: seems irresponsible of me (as a healthcare worker especially) to risk snagging up a hospital bed throughout Covid19 in California just to have a little fun. Don't get me wrong, there are still tons of guys out "social distancing" with their time off right now, and one those is my veteran riding friend. He's is in the hospital from a street bike accident out in the desert from 2 weeks ago. he was not at fault. Even if it was just a torn rotator cuff or meniscus tear; elective procedures are getting pushed back for months.
    2.) risk/reward/consequences: normally, I'd expect all of my tenants to able to afford their rent. But right now there is too much uncertainty in their income at this point and work is an excellent source of backup income until this is over and they seem like they can consistently pay again; then I can loosen the reigns on risky behaviors.
    3.) stay at home order - riding is not essential.
    4.) lots of the state OHV areas are closing...you ever hear the expression, "California sucks"?
    5.) Call to Arms - I've been picking up shifts, and want to stay available to do more. A lot of people are losing jobs now; I'm lucky that I can work at all (and will help for #3 above). Insert meme about how schools are closed, sports/events canceled, non-essential businesses closed or going under, then meanwhile, we ride at dawn bitches.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-02-20 at 10:18 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

1.) tying up of resources: seems irresponsible of me (as a healthcare worker especially) to risk snagging up a hospital bed throughout Covid19 in California just to have a little fun. Don't get me wrong, there are still tons of guys out "social distancing" with their time off right now, and one those is my veteran riding friend. He's is in the hospital from a street bike accident out in the desert from 2 weeks ago. he was not at fault. Elective procedures are all getting pushed back for months.
    2.) risk/reward/consequences: normally, I'd expect all of my tenants to able to afford their rent. But right now there is too much uncertainty in their income at this point and I want my income to be strong until this is over and they seem like they can consistently pay again.
    3.) stay at home order - riding is not essential.
    4.) lots of the state OHV areas are closing...you ever hear the expression, "California sucks"?
    5.) Call to Arms - been picking up shifts, and want to stay available to do more. Insert meme about how schools are closed, sports/events canceled, non-essential businesses closed or going under, then meanwhile, we ride at dawn bitches.
    You’re a good dude.

Meanwhile, look at all the windows I have open trying to FIND a bike

typeone's Beta build (200RR)-b10c44d4-ff77-446b-8ebd-4b1943bb42cb

@typeone - anything ya working on?
    man, been working like crazy but not on bike or riding ... main contract cut my hours, took up another gig, then BOTH blew up in my fucking face. good problem to have but shit i need to ride. July 1 i finally get some time back (i hope)

over past few (late) nights i've got the bike ready for action:

- MXT fork inserts installed with .44/.42 springs + Redline 2.5wt oil
    - torque wing in carb with T'd lines
    - RK Tek head on
    - fresh filter

needs

- oil change
    - fresh coolant

praying i can snug fasteners, replenish fluids and add fire tonight! my kids have been on my case hardcore

Beta 200RR

right on...can't wait to hear how that head feels!

i can fill you in early... head feels awesome, wait, err, oh, yeah, bike ... will let you know

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

so the RK Tek head added some amazing low-mid grunt, the bike is even more of a mini-tractor. effortless walks up trickery. a hill that had been giving me problems, failed last two attempts, was much easier to crawl up and i'm stupid rusty. lovin' it.

BUT, there is some fine tuning to do. as temps and speeds slowed, i experienced some intermittent knock. also may have a slight flat spot before it gets on the pipe. i fan the clutch a lot on this bike so it's hard to notice but i will attempt to tune that out as well.

i'm running 93 pump fuel with the 91 octane spec'd head so i should be fine there but i'm wondering if i'm running a bit lean. still have the JD Kit installed with initial settings. i have a note out to Kelsey for feedback.

---

the MME lever is still giving me fits on this bike, been very hard to tune. i rode Thurs evening and totally lost the clutch about 5min in. nursed back to truck, re-dialed, ran fine rest of night and again yesterday. super strange i need to keep making big edits on different days. happened out at October last season as well. clutch went out half-way through first loop. weird. my 250 was much easier to dial.

---

the longer Hammerhead shift lever feels great over the shorty stock one. glad i tried it, much better fit for size 11 boot.

---

MXT inserts up front feel a tad stiff but going out two clicks on comp helped. should be able to get them dialed after a few more rides.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Lifer

Just curious - Is your Hammerhead +10mm, or +20mm?

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Just curious - Is your Hammerhead +10mm, or +20mm?
    almost went +10mm but decided to try the +5mm first ... can't remember but think i lost ~10mm distance compared to the 250 ... the +5 feels good at the moment, didn't get frustrated like with stock lever

Beta 200RR

Ahh finally! Glad to hear that head gives you more of that tractor feel...I know exactly what that description feels like....and if it felt that good while rusty, it will get even better with more saddle time

How did it feel on single track?

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    so the RK Tek head added some amazing low-mid grunt, the bike is even more of a mini-tractor. effortless walks up trickery. a hill that had been giving me problems, failed last two attempts, was much easier to crawl up and i'm stupid rusty. lovin' it.

BUT, there is some fine tuning to do. as temps and speeds slowed, i experienced some intermittent knock. also may have a slight flat spot before it gets on the pipe. i fan the clutch a lot on this bike so it's hard to notice but i will attempt to tune that out as well.

i'm running 93 pump fuel with the 91 octane spec'd head so i should be fine there but i'm wondering if i'm running a bit lean. still have the JD Kit installed with initial settings. i have a note out to Kelsey for feedback.

---

the MME lever is still giving me fits on this bike, been very hard to tune. i rode Thurs evening and totally lost the clutch about 5min in. nursed back to truck, re-dialed, ran fine rest of night and again yesterday. super strange i need to keep making big edits on different days. happened out at October last season as well. clutch went out half-way through first loop. weird. my 250 was much easier to dial.

---

the longer Hammerhead shift lever feels great over the shorty stock one. glad i tried it, much better fit for size 11 boot.

---

MXT inserts up front feel a tad stiff but going out two clicks on comp helped. should be able to get them dialed after a few more rides.
    My bike has gotten nothing but abuse!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

How did it feel on single track?
    fantastico!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    My bike has gotten nothing but abuse!
    way to rub it in, bish quit one gig, the party has resume.. .

Beta 200RR

It’s about time you put that bike back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    It’s about time you put that bike back together.
    wrapped it last month, only been out a few times though, just tuning now ... you fully repaired? been out much?

Beta 200RR

I need to come meet you guys at HVD...if you'll allow an MX bike to play too

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I need to come meet you guys at HVD...if you'll allow an MX bike to play too
    you certainly do! have you been there yet? ... we used to ride there with a local on a CRF450, dude was an animal

Beta 200RR

you certainly do! have you been there yet? ... we used to ride there with a local on a CRF450, dude was an animal
    Rode there once (you where there!) many years ago. Mark Somethingsomething had a KDX220, I had a CRF250R. We met up to switch bikes for the day and see if we wanted to do a trade; he wanted to do MX, I wanted to do woods and we both bought the wrong bike for it. That's how I ended up with the KDX.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Rode there once (you where there!) many years ago. Mark Somethingsomething had a KDX220, I had a CRF250R. We met up to switch bikes for the day and see if we wanted to do a trade; he wanted to do MX, I wanted to do woods and we both bought the wrong bike for it. That's how I ended up with the KDX.
    duh, we've talked about that before i may have a pic, at least i know i have one with Mark and Biggles. man that was a while back! we were doing Dawn Patrol for a bit.

Beta 200RR

wrapped it last month, only been out a few times though, just tuning now ... you fully repaired? been out much?
    I’m good to go.
    Haven’t been out on the YZ much since getting the boat. I need to get out for a ride soon.

would the head have been responsible for that flat spot?

and any video for the last run?

would the head have been responsible for that flat spot?

and any video for the last run?
    yeah, i'm a bit lean. hadn't noticed the "flat spot" at all, buddy pointed it out after a test ride. he's on a 300 and used to just twisting throttle at any rev rather than fanning clutch a lot like i do. fanning blows right over the flat spot ... not pronounced at all, just needs a tad more tuning.

on that note, talked with RK and JD, few simple tweaks to test out (drop clip 1 pos on JD needle or swap brass + stock needle). the bike runs awesome, just didn't want that intermittent knock to get worse on super hot days. it only started after some slow, longer climbs. didn't hear it during normal trail use.

no video, i stopped filming a season or two ago when i moved to Scott Prospect goggles. the strap is super fat, can't get my Contour mount on there and don't want a permanent mount on lid.

bike sounds super torquey though, not high-pitched at all, real barky for a 190cc motor.

Beta 200RR

holy hell, HOT, i def melted today ... dropping the needle clip one position fixed the knock, didn't hear it once ... dialed suspenders some more, small tweaks front, Beta tech settings rear, felt good but i rode like a braindead sack a shit. wOOF.

Beta 200RR

lots and LOTS of tuning over the past few months and it's finally paying off.. .

no pics, looks like a dirt bike apart all the time

forks were driving me nuts, just couldn't shake the harsh feel no matter what settings i tried so i started to focus on spring rate, preload and oil height + weight. went up again on rate from .43 > .44 > .46 while testing different preload settings. for the 250, they came set up with 18mm of spacers which apparently netted 6mm of preload (?) as soon as i tested .46 springs with 10mm spacer (3.3mm preload), i knew i found gold. way, way better performance, i was no longer scared to smack standard trail trash, forks were a ton more predictable. dropped spacers down to 8mm (2.7mm preload) and refilled with 5wt oil (2.5wt previously) at 130mm, even more budder. dig it. threw the same logic out back and swapped a 5.6kg spring in (5.4 previous) with less preload. bike feels very balanced and compliant now. i did gain some 'Rona weight, but not a ton so the .46/5.6 combo was a welcome surprise ... but also sort of a Beta thing.

RK Tek high-comp head introduced more power across the board, but my jetting was off, too lean. as mentioned above, dropped the needle one clip position (JD recommendation) which got rid of the knock for a bit, but made the bike feel 'soggy' throughout. i was missing that snappy feel before the head went on so tested all sorts of jetting tweaks recommended by RK using the stock needle. his settings didn't work for me at all, way, way too rich. bike ran like shit but upper power was nice, just too fat. talked with JD again and they recommended trying a simple bump to the pilot, 38 -> 40 ... i ran that with needle back in the 4th clip position and standard 175 main last Friday. back in action, bike felt great. no knock, snappy power, all good. just for the hell of it i'll prob try a 178 main to see if i can get some of that upper fueling a little richer but no rush.

i've never been a fan of testing different jetting over and over just for the time sink alone, not to mention potential loss of ride time if shitty, but it was extra special to break a main jet off inside the carb at 9pm before a ride in the morning. dodged a nice bullet there.

sad my season will prob close by Dec but will be nice to tear the bike down for the usual fondle ... counter shaft seal is weeping and drivetrain is almost shot but otherwise i think it's all routine check 'n lube this winter. also have some new plastics + graphics ideas up the sleeve.

Beta 200RR