Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

typeone's Beta build (200RR)

Lifer

Re: typeone's Beta build (200RR)

I'm not sure what's typical for your Beta, but .46/5.6 seems like it'd be too stiff in the rear relative to the front? But I'd expect that to cause more deflection and sounds like it improved it instead? Could be different leverage ratios in the rear though.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I'm not sure what's typical for your Beta, but .46/5.6 seems like it'd be too stiff in the rear relative to the front? But I'd expect that to cause more deflection and sounds like it improved it instead? Could be different leverage ratios in the rear though.
    yeah, i thought both would be too stiff as well but with less preload, feels great! Beta's tend to be choppered out a bit stock and want more of a stink bug setup to keep the front planted, they're also a bit lower and require some different tuning to 'regular bikes'. took me a while to try the less-preload-stiffer-springs route but man it was night and day difference. bike stays up higher in the stroke now which = way more plush on trail.

i did try .43/5.4 to have the front a tad 'softer' but the actual affect was totally opposite. i was blowing through the stroke way too fast. now i'm nice and even feeling.

i'm going to send the shock out over the winter for some special sauce but nothing overly special, just tweaks now that the tuners have lived with them for a while.

Beta 200RR

hibernation has begun.. .

X revamp + simplify wiring harness (top priority)
    X replace weeping countershaft seal
    X freshen up drivetrain, test 48T rear
    X inspect rotors + pads
    X replace rear brake banjo + bleed
    X inspect top end
    X thinner base gasket
    X fresh plug
    X send shock out for mods + tuning
    - inspect + grease steering bearings
    - inspect + grease wheel bearings
    - inspect + grease linkage and swingarm bearings
    X inspect + grease axles
    X repack silencer (maybe chop Scalvini into a shorty)
    X clean filters
    - fresh plastics + graphics
    X fresh fluids
    X check compression

Last edited by typeone; 06-23-21 at 09:44 AM.
    Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    - inspect + grease wheel bearings
    Any chance you keep records? I'm averaging about 40-50hrs on my rear wheel, and at least double that on my front, with zero effort. Installed as-is, and never cleaned or re-greased after. Curious how much better it could be if I did anything to them, but skeptical it'd ever be worth the effort. Especially because I'm pretty sure I can sync up changing the rear bearings when I do the tire, so it's even more efficient. The rears have almost always been All Balls sets. The fronts I think I used OE once, but otherwise All Balls.

I'm about to do similar as you though - except for some long overdue stuff. State of affairs currently makes a clapped out bike look new in comparison. It'll be damn near a restoration.

nedirtriders.com

Hibernation??
    There is still some good riding to be had.
    Patch that harness and let’s get back out there.

Nice!

What was the previous gearing and what sort of spread does the transmission have?

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Any chance you keep records? I'm averaging about 40-50hrs on my rear wheel, and at least double that on my front, with zero effort. Installed as-is, and never cleaned or re-greased after. Curious how much better it could be if I did anything to them, but skeptical it'd ever be worth the effort. Especially because I'm pretty sure I can sync up changing the rear bearings when I do the tire, so it's even more efficient. The rears have almost always been All Balls sets. The fronts I think I used OE once, but otherwise All Balls.

I'm about to do similar as you though - except for some long overdue stuff. State of affairs currently makes a clapped out bike look new in comparison. It'll be damn near a restoration.
    no on records, just a check over the winter. i've had great luck with the OEM stuff (SKF or FactoryLinks), just like to keep ahead of the potential muck or rust. think i've only had to replace one set on 250.

yeah, always feels good to do a nice fondle at any level, keeps the bike feeling tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Hibernation??
    There is still some good riding to be had.
    Patch that harness and let’s get back out there.
    with all the white shit out there, i'm glad she's inside snug. but yeah, not gonna drag this one out too far so she's ready early. did you get out again after that last session?

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Nice!

What was the previous gearing and what sort of spread does the transmission have?
    i've been riding 14/49, stock was 15/49, and i tried 13/49 early on which was way too aggressive. 14/49 has been awesome, but i think the 48T will give me a bit more between shifts. 1st is crazy low right now.

not sure on transmission specs, i'd have to look that up.

Beta 200RR

got the harness off + did some inspection.. .

first reason i'm doing this is that towards the end of the season, my battery stopped charging on rides. starter made zero sound, just dead, had to bump start the bike since there is no kicker. lame. when this first happened, thought my ~6 year old EarthX was toast, scored another, worked fine for a ride or two, then dead starter again.

next thought was that the diode group or condensor had corroded, this was an issue on earlier Beta's before the factory started sealing those units up. checked them with a multimeter and they passed. next was to test the charging circuit, found some interesting results. i was testing different jetting for a bit, lifting the tank off each time. seems one of the connections was getting pinched once the tank went back on.

Test 1, bike off, tank on
    • Battery 13.20v

Test 2, bike running, tank on
    • Battery 13.22v
    • Starter solenoid plug 0.18v
    • Regulator 0.26v

Test 3, bike running, tank off
    • Battery 13.41v
    • Starter solenoid plug 15.60v
    • Regulator 13.72v

second reason is just to simplify like i did with the 250 harness, i don't need any of the extra street or enduro wiring. KISSSS

i found the red crimped group on the middle right folded and could see wire through the shrink wrap. that might have been the issue. not sure yet.

once i chop out everything i don't need, all connections will be cleaned up and some plugs replaced (due to less wire).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

ugh you're a brave soul to attack electrical

hopefully it's that red crimp!

14/48 vs 14/49 doesn't seem too much different from each other; but hopefully its the edge you're looking for to get more out of the gears. a 15 front would almost definitely be too much

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

i'm not very good with electrical stuff but it's fairly basic, just need to take your time and do it right. got the right-front harness trimmed up, found another chaffed wire, a ground with exposed copper. just need to sort the connections and think if i want a new start/stop switch plug.

feels good to trim that nest out.. .

RE: gearing

yes, that's all i'm looking for is a little length between gears and a hair more top end.

stock ratio was 3.27 with 15/49, i've been running 3.50 with 14/49, and 14/48 will net me 3.43. think it will be perfect.

Beta 200RR

kicked up my pro-ject again after some errors, mostly on my part.. .

chopped up the wiring harness, then Beta informed me i cannot remove certain elements such as the diode group and condensor which they previously said wasn't needed before the snips. !DOH! they have since revised their Race Harness as well. sweet. back to the drawing board ... i'm now in the process of creating a new harness (almost) from scratch, and i love it more on that next post but for now.. .

scored a bunch of OEM + aftermarket wire and connectors to complete the new harness

had to remove a few wires from the CDI connection, got nice OEM style plugs to fill holes

and a few, upgraded, weather proof connectors like i used last time on the 250

for some reason the CS seal on this bike began leaking a while ago

Beta upgraded the spacer design so we'll see how that goes, new on right

freshy, fresh

front disc side wheel seal has been letting in water, Acerbis revised their spacer design, in the opposite way from tapered to straight so we'll see how that does. i've had the orig disc guard/spacer for about 7 years so it was due to go anyway. i'll do a new seal only in conjunction with spacer/mount.

the Scalvini carbon silencer sounds great, looks awesome, but the rust is annoying ... remounting the PC shorty for this season with fresh pack

planned on trying a thinner base gasket in combo with RK Tek head i installed last season but found quite a few scratches when inspecting the piston. manual has top end at 40hrs on this bike but was planning to go to about 100hrs

OCD ate me alive so i decided to just refresh the top end

with thinner base gasket, squish came in at 1.04mm (caliper was off by .02mm) which is exactly what i wanted to test. did not check squish with OEM gasket

all buttoned up, threw on a few blue Samco hoses i had kicking around, didn't install two of them when bike was new. half were black.

sent shock out for some magic sauce. refresh, revalve and had the tuner install a Lainer comp adjuster, hi-flow piston and low-friction band. comp adjuster has been getting rave reviews as a nice upgrade from stock Sachs. i was trying to cure high-speed chop. anxious to test

and my (-1T) rear sprocket dropped acid.. .

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

kicked up my pro-ject again after some errors, mostly on my part.. .

chopped up the wiring harness, then Beta informed me i cannot remove certain elements such as the diode group and condensor which they previously said wasn't needed before the snips. !DOH! they have since revised their Race Harness as well. sweet. back to the drawing board ... i'm now in the process of creating a new harness (almost) from scratch, and i love it more on that next post but for now.. .

scored a bunch of OEM + aftermarket wire and connectors to complete the new harness

had to remove a few wires from the CDI connection, got nice OEM style plugs to fill holes

and a few, upgraded, weather proof connectors like i used last time on the 250

for some reason the CS seal on this bike began leaking a while ago

Beta upgraded the spacer design so we'll see how that goes, new on right

freshy, fresh

front disc side wheel seal has been letting in water, Acerbis revised their spacer design, in the opposite way from tapered to straight so we'll see how that does. i've had the orig disc guard/spacer for about 7 years so it was due to go anyway. i'll do a new seal only in conjunction with spacer/mount.

the Scalvini carbon silencer sounds great, looks awesome, but the rust is annoying ... remounting the PC shorty for this season with fresh pack

planned on trying a thinner base gasket in combo with RK Tek head i installed last season but found quite a few scratches when inspecting the piston. manual has top end at 40hrs on this bike but was planning to go to about 100hrs

OCD ate me alive so i decided to just refresh the top end

with thinner base gasket, squish came in at 1.04mm (caliper was off by .02mm) which is exactly what i wanted to test. did not check squish with OEM gasket

all buttoned up, threw on a few blue Samco hoses i had kicking around, didn't install two of them when bike was new. half were black.

sent shock out for some magic sauce. refresh, revalve and had the tuner install a Lainer comp adjuster, hi-flow piston and low-friction band. comp adjuster has been getting rave reviews as a nice upgrade from stock Sachs. i was trying to cure high-speed chop. anxious to test

and my (-1T) rear sprocket dropped acid.. .

pics aren't loading for me

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    pics aren't loading for me
    you know, i've been having a helluva time with pics on this site as well lately. i think it's related to the site being 'Not Secure' in Chrome (?) i had to tweak settings to show images even if not secure. weird.

Beta 200RR

you know, i've been having a helluva time with pics on this site as well lately. i think it's related to the site being 'Not Secure' in Chrome (?) i had to tweak settings to show images even if not secure. weird.
    If I copy and paste the URLs then I can view the pictures properly.. maybe they are blocking referers?

Just upload them all as attachments on NESR and then attach them inline

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lookin good man.

Such nice work man

Pics show for me, not using tapatalk though.

Clinton you’re going to have to bring this down to the Rehoboth proving grounds to test before HVD opens back up. Nice work bud!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Not gonna lie, your pics and posts make my pants tight.. lol

Yamaha

thanks, guys

---

since i'm experimenting with gearing i bought a cheaper steel rear sprocket but it was a re-tagged Honda sprocket. some Beta riders use them but the bolt holes aren't perfectly centered. no clue why you would force a sprocket to fit

i love Dirt Tricks Ironmans, last forever, but 48T is not common and couldn't get black without a special order. the Chromatic was a random they had in stock so i grabbed it. thought i'd hate the color but it's actually kinda funky. changes from dark to light depending on sun.

for the chain, i've been running the DID narrow x-rings for a while and love them. like zero wear, never needs adjustment. i've only had to replace one due to the side plates wearing down due to shot chain sliders and guide ... since this is a small motor, and to save a few bucks, i'm trying a DID non x-ring, curious how it will wear.

the weight difference was surprising, only 89g (3oz) difference

typeone's Beta build (200RR)-typeone-200rr-winter-maint-2021-a

all buttoned up

typeone's Beta build (200RR)-typeone-200rr-winter-maint-2021-a

i'll fix the other images, they are referenced to my hosting account but as mentioned, NESR is showing as 'Not Secure' for me. odd.

Last edited by typeone; 03-12-21 at 12:20 PM.
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Pics show for me, not using tapatalk though.

Clinton you’re going to have to bring this down to the Rehoboth proving grounds to test before HVD opens back up. Nice work bud!
    thanks man, and i'm def down to clown ! 5 years already since i brought the 250 down. wack

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    If I copy and paste the URLs then I can view the pictures properly.. maybe they are blocking referers?

Just upload them all as attachments on NESR and then attach them inline
    think i fixed it, if you wouldn't mind testing, would appreciate it. i enabled an SSL cert for my hosting account where i store images.

Beta 200RR

And I was feeling good that I got my forks to Peter for a service. Ha! Your bike is spoiled rotten!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    And I was feeling good that I got my forks to Peter for a service. Ha! Your bike is spoiled rotten!
    they get fondled over winter for sure

Beta 200RR

still having image issues, annoying ... trying this post in Safari instead of Chrome

---

found the positive lead to the starter chafed from rubbing on the headstay, may have been contributing to my dead starter issues but don't think i can see actual wire. those black streaks don't seem to be wire but i'll put a protective covering in that spot as well as where this wire touches the motor a bit.

inspected/cleaned carb, checked float height and swapped in a fatter main (175 > 178)

swapped out the rear brake switch for a standard aluminum banjo...

... and fresh bleed with Motul 5.1

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Oh. Neat tools! That bleeder just went on dad's birthday wishlist.