Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

typeone's Beta build (250RR)

re: typeone's Beta build (250RR)

nice...part of the process

why the SSS fork swap? still harsh on the front?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Pictures or it isn’t happening! I always enjoying seeing your posts of such perfection in maintainance.

Mine is stuffed in my basement for the winter, no plans to work on it.. lol
    thanks, Mark pics to come. she's in the office but i haven't brought my tools down yet, been sick as a dog.

XT lookin' cozy ... get those head o-rings on!

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    nice...part of the process

why the SSS fork swap? still harsh on the front?
    details to come, KYBs will be here Friday ... long story short, i still hate my front end. weighed a few options and bit the bullet.

on the rear, i went up AGAIN on spring rate to a 5.6, sag numbers look good (30mm static / 96mm race) ... bike came with a 4.8

Last edited by typeone; 12-26-17 at 05:49 PM.
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    thanks, Mark pics to come. she's in the office but i haven't brought my tools down yet, been sick as a dog.

XT lookin' cozy ... get those head o-rings on!
    Lotta sickness going around, hope you’re feeling better soon.

Yes, I replaced the o rings about a month ago. I haven’t taken it on a real ride yet, just up and down the driveway to get the mail.. haha It’s not dripping antifreeze on the floor anymore, but I still have a faint smell of antifreeze when I shut it off

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Lotta sickness going around, hope you’re feeling better soon.

Yes, I replaced the o rings about a month ago. I haven’t taken it on a real ride yet, just up and down the driveway to get the mail.. haha It’s not dripping antifreeze on the floor anymore, but I still have a faint smell of antifreeze when I shut it off
    thnx, man. mee too.

cool, hope the issue is solved for you. any pressure when you pop the rad cap once cooled down?

Beta 200RR

thnx, man. mee too.

cool, hope the issue is solved for you. any pressure when you pop the rad cap once cooled down?
    I did check once, and there was a faint sound, but not 100% sure that’s what it was. I want to flush the coolant again in the spring after a ride or 2...it was black before I changed it

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

details to come, KYBs will be here Friday ... long story short, i still hate my front end. weighed a few options and bit the bullet.

on the rear, i went up AGAIN on spring rate to a 5.6, sag numbers look good (30mm static / 96mm race) ... bike came with a 4.8
    Did you see BRC Racing up in Canada has a conversion kit to put SSS internals inside KTM forks?

That’s why you start with a Yamaha!

Too many toys, not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Did you see BRC Racing up in Canada has a conversion kit to put SSS internals inside KTM forks?
    here comes a book, settle in ...

no, hadn't seen that yet but i looked at a handful of conversion/cartridge kits like the Dal Soggio SPHERE, Ohlins inserts, Ohlins complete forks, and MXT Sachs Cartridge kit ... talked with Warren at Enduro Spec out in CO and he sold me on the MXT kit which they helped develop for the Sachs. it's a complete drop-in dual cartrige kit for for $850 with valving. i would be able to use my current springs but planned to try a rate higher, .42 > .44

mentioned i was going to try out the MXT kit to some other Beta guys that have gone KYB, they said it might make more sense to look for some Italian Husky KYB since the mods would be pretty basic. soooo, trolling eBay i nabbed a super clean set of forks off a 2013 Husky TXC250R that was a complete part out, entire bike was clean, for only $490 shipped.

here's the plan:

- the Husky KYBs slide right into the Beta clamps and have the same lug offset (win!) Yammie KYBs need to be turned down to fit, or new upper clamp.
    - i can keep my Nissan front brake by using a GasGas carrier OR move to the Brembo off the Husky. i'll be staying with the Nissan. no complaints.
    - wheel spacers need to be modified +4mm non-brake side, -4mm brake side
    - Beta axle fits
    - fork guards fit

Boano out of Italy sells a complete kit with spacers + carrier, i may go this route. confirming it will work with the Husky KYBs first.

purchased a complete rebuild kit from RMATVMC that should be here tomorrow. seals, bushings, etc. to make sure i know everything is fresh.

springs will probably be too stiff for me, i think the '13 TXCs came with .47 or .48. no bueno. i'll evaluate once i get them apart.

in researching these forks i learned that KYB CCs are known to have free piston failures, the plastic chamber cracks. a common mod is to drill a hole in a new plastic OEM replacement but i opted to go with the Zeta free piston upgrade in the 'light weight' version. supposed to allow for more plush action.

why am i doing this?

the '13 Sachs OCs have just never felt right to me. i try a tweak here, a tweak there and always end up fighting the bike half way into a ride. i'm not a fast rider but i've never had a set of forks that gave me such trouble. i've tried clickers settings, oil heights, revalving, more clicker settings, etc. still in the same boat, worse actually after the revlave. i started to get pretty depressed on rides thinking i'd just lost my ability. technical climbs were brutal, litterally getting pogo'd off the trail. regular riding they felt OK but as soon as it gets stupid choppy i lose traction and fail hard.

at the end of this season the only way i was able to ride the bike in technical stuff was with Reb all the way slow and Comp all the way soft. wack! even three clicks in on Reb had me getting chucked off the trail. i should have consulted with Motoworx to get another round of tuning done but i don't think these OCs are worth the time and money.

fingers x'd this experiment works out. tired of thinking about it.

Last edited by typeone; 12-29-17 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spellin
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    That’s why you start with a Yamaha!
    you little bitch. (we should get the crew together at a pub half-way sometime this winter)

Beta 200RR

i'm not a fast rider
    False.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

you little bitch. (we should get the crew together at a pub half-way sometime this winter)
    Anytime brother

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    False.
    awww, love you too, Sweets

Anytime brother
    rock 'n roll

Beta 200RR

wow, this is intense!! hope it works out for you

wow, this is intense!! hope it works out for you
    thanks but not really a big deal, just a fork swap. if i can't get them to work for me they will sell in a hot minute.

-----

reading more about the Husky tuned version, they definitely came with .46 springs. bummah. the PO has Factory Connection stickers on them but say SHOWA me thinks he just put them on for style and protection. no FC tweaking. very curious how the oil and internals will look.

if the springs are still stock i'll swap for .44's and give them a go. if harsh, off to a tuner for valving. the TXC came set up more for aggressive MX but YZ forks would have been the same.

pretty sure Boano is out on holiday this week so i still haven't heard about the spacer/carrier kit. GasGas is also on holiday but i got pricing on that carrier if i go that route instead. i beleive i could pair that with a spacer kit from Hyde. nice to have additional options outside of custom machining.

Last edited by typeone; 12-28-17 at 08:36 AM.
    Beta 200RR

and so it begins.. .

the KYBs showed up but unfortunately there is some decent rock rash on the left leg the seller didn't mention. i have the option for full refund if i chose, thinking on it.

it's not the end of the world but i was bummed.

install was cake, slid right into the triples like they belonged there

axle slid right in as well

before test fitting wheel and disc guard

everything bolted up nicely but the disc guard makes for a tight fit. no way i could remove -4mm on that side like i need to and keep the guard. hmmm.

brake hanger is much shorter bolt to bolt, need to remeasure and check against the options i mentioned earlier.

before i go too far, i'm going to price out a new, updated Sachs CC set. if the price isn't too high, may return the KYBs and do that instead.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

1.) Dang, digging the work space! Designer for sure!

2.) Bummed about the fork damage...but it's just the leg not the part that slides through the seals...can you ask for a discount?

3.) Okay fitment was not involved as I thought...right up in there!

4.) Is it worth finishing it, riding on them, then determining to return or not?

I would not trust those forks. Return and refund. That’s a good amount of rash not to point out.
    If the seller did not mention the rashed upper, what else did they leave out?
    Internal issues, slightly bent, clickers don’t work, who knows until you get into them.

Plus, if your like me, my OCD would not let me live with someone else’s damaged parts on my rig.

Plenty of KYBs out there. You got time. It’s not like you are riding anytime soon.
    Great that you got to use them for mock up.

1.) Dang, digging the work space! Designer for sure!

2.) Bummed about the fork damage...but it's just the leg not the part that slides through the seals...can you ask for a discount?

3.) Okay fitment was not involved as I thought...right up in there!

4.) Is it worth finishing it, riding on them, then determining to return or not?
    jesus christ that rug + wood though. hurts my brain. have plans to build out a studio above the garage, kids get this space for play. i'll be sad my bike(s) won't be in my 'office' anymore though

2. just the leg. yes, they offered 100% or partial refund. up to me.

3. they fit mint and could work as is but being 4mm off center will not fly, see OCD later on

4. since it's winter, i don't know yet. i want closed chamber KYBs so need to figure out if this is the set or keep hunting. i'm fully educated in the swap now.

I would not trust those forks. Return and refund. That’s a good amount of rash not to point out.
    Internal issues, slightly bent, clickers don’t work, who knows until you get into them.

Plus, if your like me, my OCD would not let me live with someone else’s damaged parts on my rig.

Plenty of KYBs out there. You got time. It’s not like you are riding anytime soon.
    Great that you got to use them for mock up.
    yeah, i was not pleased to see those gashes. to be fair, the seller deals with a lot of parts so i'm assuming an oversight. they have been very nice about it.

everything else about the forks, SO FAR, has been very good. clickers clean and smooth, lugs not rashed, not even any fork guard wear.

i'm totally OCD like you, i need things to work aesthetically AND mechanically. the rock rash and not being able to use my disc guard are bumming me out.

yes, bike isn't going anywhere for a while so i'll just keep tweaking/measuring then make a decison on this set. i've reached out to a few shops on other sets of forks, depends on pricing.

still a fun project though. nice to get away from the computer and work on the bike.

Beta 200RR

I don’t know if this would work anymore with current diameters but once I copied a friends idea and took a couple pieces of central vac plastic dark grey tubing, cut them to the length I needed, then made a lengthwise cut in one side of each so that they could be spread apart and fit over the upper fork legs on upside down forks for rock protection...in other words, homemade guards for the type of damage those have, that look pretty cool, protect against further damage, and make it so you don’t have to look at those gashes because it’ll be covered.

I imagine you can probably buy the same sort of guards too.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    I don’t know if this would work anymore with current diameters but once I copied a friends idea and took a couple pieces of central vac plastic dark grey tubing, cut them to the length I needed, then made a lengthwise cut in one side of each so that they could be spread apart and fit over the upper fork legs on upside down forks for rock protection...in other words, homemade guards for the type of damage those have, that look pretty cool, protect against further damage, and make it so you don’t have to look at those gashes because it’ll be covered.
    I feel like some of us have forgotten this is Clayton's Italian Princess. Would you put on a set of used rashed wheels on your Ferrari? If you ripped the leather seat would you slap a Mossy Oak seat cover on it?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Forgive my ignorance, but couldn’t you save a buttload by just sending the stock stuff out and getting it tuned proper?
    Once the setup is decent, does it REALLY matter which exact internals you have, as long as they work?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I agree.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post

I imagine you can probably buy the same sort of guards too.
    yes, i've seen similar guards. if i keep them, i'll just smooth out and paint the rash. i'm able to turn the leg inward to hide it. for whatever reason, the PO had them turned 180 degrees with thick decals on. perfect, really.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I feel like some of us have forgotten this is Clayton's Italian Princess. Would you put on a set of used rashed wheels on your Ferrari? If you ripped the leather seat would you slap a Mossy Oak seat cover on it?
    CLINTON ...

nah, it's not really about that, more that i have the time and budget so why settle for the rash. i could easily cause that kind of damage tipping over on our reg trails, but it would be my rash. know what i mean? just got an email to name my price on a partial refund. i could get over the rash pretty quick with another $100 off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but couldn’t you save a buttload by just sending the stock stuff out and getting it tuned proper?
    Once the setup is decent, does it REALLY matter which exact internals you have, as long as they work?
    unfortunately, no. i've inquired about all the options for the open chambers over the past two seasons and the pricing always got to $600+ very quickly.

the forks i have are the older gen, open chamber Sachs that are known to be kinda limited in scope, even with a tune. i could have the internals upgraded (see $800 MXT kit above) and tuned again but i'd be in for the same amount of money or more, actually. the KYB closed chamber have a broader scope, are infinitely more tunable, parts are way more abundant and cheaper, and tuners know them very well. all wins.

the main reason i started this project is becuase it was going to cost me ~$900 or so to full set up the OC Sachs... cost just didn't add up.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I agree.
    if i hadn't seen the rest of the bike, i might agree, but the thing was very clean overall. i think the rash is from a simple wreck in rocks. very easy to do.

now, if there was a chunk out of the outer tube lip or something i would def return asap. this is really just cosmetic but still lame it wasn't called out. i specifically asked if they needed anything but seals since they mentioned those leak. i think the leak is more from sitting around.

Beta 200RR