Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

typeone's Beta build (250RR)

re: typeone's Beta build (250RR)

wow, the 216AA really is FAT. no wonder they call it the 'STEAMROLLER'. it's 'uge.. .

90/100-21 vs 80/100-21

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by typeone; 12-26-17 at 03:30 PM.
    Beta 200RR

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

From the numbers I would guess roughly a centimeter wider overall. Looks nice and beefy! Should give you some traction.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    From the numbers I would guess roughly a centimeter wider overall. Looks nice and beefy! Should give you some traction.
    the pic sucks but it's def a beefy tire... +0.4" sidewall, +0.8" diameter (going by numbers alone). should be awesome in the rocks.

Beta 200RR

didn't really fiddle with the bike this weekend, our oven decided to take a shit so fiddled with that instead.

i thought the JD kit came with a new PV spring, it's just a shim (washer). on the 300 you remove the second spring, the 250 only has one spring. i'm currently running the PV adjustment 1.5 turns in from flush.

the NGK shorty plug should make it easier to access. i think some KTMs come stock with these, similar head stay design making it real tight in there. i was happy to see a nice, dry, coffee brown on the plug, little rich but still good. excellent jetting right out of the box although the float needs adjustment, pisses fuel more than it should.

Last edited by typeone; 12-26-17 at 03:31 PM.
    Beta 200RR

man in a truck just left this at my doorstep. mmm, real purdy like.. .

Beta 200RR

Interchangeable domes?

yup. black = 0 - 6K' ASL , silver 6K' - 12K' ASL. supposed to have more water capacity for cooling efficiency as well.

the plan is to run the low elevation head (black) for now, higher comp, more grunt... then down the road measure squish with the high elevation head and have Ron Black cut it to suit.

Beta 200RR

other side.. .

Beta 200RR

Lifer

That's just neat. I kind of love 2-strokes.

Cool to see that type of stuff.

What do the silver and the black look like side by side? Curious what they do to compensate for elevation. I'm guessing smaller dome for higher elevation to compress the slightly less oxygenated mixture more?

yeah, neat stuff. i ran three different heads on my WR, cool to compare not only the cuts but power difference as well. Walt Smith on the Husky forums is a magician. custom ground my power valves too.

i'll try to get a pic of the differences with these two domes, the low elev insert has a smooth ramp from edge up to the plug hole... the high elev insert has a more abrupt ramp, not a continuous arch like the low elev insert. (if that makes sense)

EDIT: and to add, this kit is from Slavens, supposedly Jeff worked with S3 to get his own compression figures. reviews are very good for a bolt on head mod.

Last edited by typeone; 01-25-16 at 11:56 AM.
    Beta 200RR

Slavens makes some KTM goodies as well. Good reviews. Personally I can't imagine needing or wanting more power so I haven't looked into it seriously. But, itlooks like a sexy kit you have there. That bike is going to rip.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

yeah, Slavens seems to be an awesome shop. hope they get in the Beta game more. once i get the o-rings in i'll install the S3 head. BLING CITY.

my FMF Shorty arrived but it's the wrong model, hoping the shop can exchange. the remaining goodies should be in this week.

Beta 200RR

mmm, another man in a truck stopped by.. . Fastway/Stillwell adjustable linkage guard. BEEF

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by typeone; 12-26-17 at 03:32 PM.
    Beta 200RR

slow progress on the bike, but the oven is fixed. a resistor caught fire. new board in, we cookin'. back to the bike...

steering head bearings tonight, SUPER impressed with the design. much better than my Huskys. upper triple has an indent in it that sits over this o-ring, then that large silver collar sits over the frame.

no dirt, no water in there. little light on grease but nothing to be alarmed at.

underside of that silver collar, that also has a rubber coating inside it. very nice. my Huskys were notorious for water and grit after one season. no pressure washer.

fresh globs of grease and done.

linkage next.. .

Last edited by typeone; 12-26-17 at 03:32 PM.
    Beta 200RR

That setup actually looks VERY familiar... my 1992 Yamaha WR250Z uses a similar setup. Because it takes the same upper bearing as the modern YZs I also get an additional seal that's now part of the upper bearing so you end up with double protection.

so simple and smart. the lower bearing has a nice thick o-ring type seal as well. my Italian Husky's had seals (of course) but they didn't work for shit. water and grit seeped in very easy. maintenance heavy area.

Beta 200RR

got sidetracked for a bit, shouldn't have bought that nitro R/C car off Bergs, they're already multiplying.

jesus christ my eyesight has gone to shit and i shake like a leaf but it's kind of calming to work on these little things. used to build models all the time as a kid. fun to do this stuff with my son now.

so back to the bike... didnt take pics but cleaned up the power valve linkage area, fresh gasket and a bead of black silicone sealant on the lower seal. should cure the mess.

removed the head, both it and the piston top have minimal carbon build up, bike is running clean. simple wipe down and we good

S3 head on with fresh, lightly greased, o-rings and new plug

no pic but also installed the JD blue needle with clip in third slot which is good for 45° and up. i'll swap for the red needle if it's still cold when my season kicks off. haven't swapped the JD pilot and main yet, think i forgot to drain the bowl. tisk, tisk.

ZipTy air screw installed. finger adjustment now.

working through swing arm and linkage bearings at the moment, all looks good after initial inspection. clean, fresh grease and bolt back up with Fastway linkage guard in place.

hope to simplify the wiring harness on this thing some day, so much shit but i guess nice to keep if i want to DS it. Beta makes a race loom kit, and Sicass some nice simple switches, on the fence.

OEM enduro computer in a bar pad isn't going to work, at least not with the pad i bought. have a new plan for some simple mounts bolted to the stock location on the upper triple.

Last edited by typeone; 12-26-17 at 03:33 PM.
    Beta 200RR

Wow, you tore that beastie down!

Paul_E_D

yeah, good winter therapy and piece of mind that she's well lubed and cared for

was going to pop the motor out as well but there's just too much wiring and it's not really needed. wanted to do full inspection and also attempt to cure vibes but i'll just loosen the other two motor mounts and see how it does. i heard there is a specific order to re-tightening that can help with vibes. they're not crazy, but seem to be more than there should be for just a 250cc. i'm used to it now but what the hell.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

I don't know how the hell you keep everything that clean.
    I was beyond proud of myself for my post season cleanup I did this year.. until I removed the tank and found the caked up mud between the frame and the frontside of the motor. And about a billion other bits of filth.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I don't know how the hell you keep everything that clean.
    I was beyond proud of myself for my post season cleanup I did this year.. until I removed the tank and found the caked up mud between the frame and the frontside of the motor. And about a billion other bits of filth.
    it's still pretty dirty in those areas, pics don't show it well but all the crap i removed to get to the frame is caked underneath. the subframe is a mess, need to seal under the rear fender better, mud just flies right up and in between. the left-side number plate also doubles as a compartment for a toolbag, etc. gets caked. need a seal there too.

ever since i took on R7's wash methods a few years back (simple green + various paint brushes) the bikes come pretty clean with minimal effort. although i think i washed this bike maybe 3 times last season, just kept riding it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

I was gonna say, this one looks dirty! lol

Paul_E_D

forgot to add... the other thing i also do is lean the bike over so the bar end is resting on the stand, like the bike is flat, almost on the ground. this allows you to spray areas that normally get missed if you just wash it upright on the stand. i lean the bike both directions, once on each bar end. helps a lot.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

I'm using the R7 paintbrush method as well. I think my problem is dirt goes places I either can't get a brush to or just plain don't think to. Dirt is more creative than me! Who knew.

Ya'll are meticulous. Gotta give you that.