Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Vermont registration process still work?

I e-mailed a guy about his VT registered dirt bike, and he made this comment:

"The bike is registered in VT. However, it is not titled. I don't think the registration is transferable.

VT got wise to the game and you can no longer register a 300CC bike or less without a title."

Does anyone know anything about this? From what I can tell on the VT DMV website, this should still be possible. Here is the link to the VT registration application form:
    http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...structions.pdf

On page 2:

The State of Vermont does not issue titles for the following:
    • Trailers with empty weight of 1,500 lbs or less
    Motorcycles with engine size smaller than 300 cc’s

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Titles are also not required for vehicles that are 15 years old or older. Anything model year 2000 and before as of this year.

If there is a lien holder, titles may still be required by them though.

As far as the 300cc limit, I believe that you and the form are correct.

Last edited by jcbell1007; 08-27-15 at 12:27 PM.

Re: Vermont registration process still work?

I tried the VT route about a year ago. My application was sent back asking for "proof that it was a road going bike". I never pursued it but was told (not by the RMV) to just send pics showing headlights, taillights, mirrors etc and that works with them.

Lifer

Re: Vermont registration process still work?

I don't think you care. I think all you need is the previous/current registration from the previous owner and a bill of sale. The bill of sale establishes transfer of ownership and the registration verifies the VIN. They should issue a title with those two documents.

Here in NH a properly executed transferred title can serve as both documents. So it is an either you have a transferred title -OR- you have both a bill of sale AND registration in the previous owners name.

If your state requires a title, I believe you can provide evidence that the source state (in this case VT) does not issue titles for that vehicle and be good to go.

Edit.. Basically, this thread : http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ike-title.html
    Note Kurlon's link in particular.

Last edited by nhbubba; 08-27-15 at 02:03 PM.