Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Clive

Advice ZRX to a KLR

I'm thinking of swapping my ZRX 1100 for a KLR but first I want to know that I have places to ride off road on the KLR. I would be looking for dirt roads and open trails not hard moto cross stuff. Do I have to ride 2 hours to find roads / trails for the KLR?

Reasons:

The ZRX is a blast if you ride 2 hours away from Boston, it is just a hassle in traffic
    I'm tired of being stuck behind cars in side of 495
    I can ride the KLR in Boston , I think it will be easier than the ZRX

I love My ZRX it will be hard to see it go.

Clive

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by clive; 10-08-07 at 09:26 AM.

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Go to the netra web site they lists dual sport rides.They are usually in the spring. Also go to nedb.com they list some other ones. Dual sports are a ton of fun.Remember this, good roads bring bad people,bad roads bring good people.

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Keep both, choices are fun.

Bruce

Advice ZRX to a KLR

I love my KLR... I have the 2008 model.

I've modded it a bit to make it more dirtworthy (one tooth down in front and knobby tires)

It has helped it's off road prowess, but has diminished the over 50mph ride a bit.

I don't know where you live as far as trails, etc. There's a ton near me in Springfield, MASS though and I'm looking for riding buddies to go explore.

I prefer not to head down unknown trails alone.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Quote Originally Posted by clive View Post
    I'm thinking of swapping my ZRX 1100 for a KLR but first I want to know that I have places to ride off road on the KLR. I would be looking for dirt roads and open trails not hard moto cross stuff. Do I have to ride 2 hours to find roads / trails for the KLR?

Reasons:

The ZRX is a blast if you ride 2 hours away from Boston, it is just a hassle in traffic
    I'm tired of being stuck behind cars in side of 495
    I can ride the KLR in Boston , I think it will be easier than the ZRX

I love My ZRX it will be hard to see it go.

Clive
    The KLR is no more a dual-sport than a V-Strom is. If you're getting stuck in traffic on a ZRX, I don't see how a KLR is going to help you?

Riding a KLR off-road is not a good idea, unless you like riding very slowly over very easy terrain.

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    The KLR is no more a dual-sport than a V-Strom is. If you're getting stuck in traffic on a ZRX, I don't see how a KLR is going to help you?
    Riding a KLR off-road is not a good idea, unless you like riding very slowly over very easy terrain.

Are you saying the V-strom is as capable off road as the KLR?

If so, I can't imagine this is true.

I agree you don't want to do anything technical off-road with the KLR. Fire roads and wider trails are where it's comfy. But the fact that you can also ride 3 hours on the pavement mean it's far more dual sport than some of the street legal dirtbikes which excel off road.

It's all about compromise...

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Clive

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Thanks.

Traffic - I want something that is lighter, can handle well in traffic and pot holes. lets face it Boston roads are off road riding.

Fire roads and wider trails sound like heaven to me. I have no need to jump anything. the question is how many of those are available in Mass / southern NH?

No kidding , I will cry when my ZRX is sold it is my baby. Someone wanted to buy it for parts I could not sell it. I have my sister in-laws old race bike (Ducati) and putting a third bike in the garage is a no go. I don't have enough money for the jewelry that it will take to compensate. The Duc will give me my trackday / sport ride fix and a KLR will give me a some old mans off road experience.

Thanks Again

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Quote Originally Posted by clive View Post
    KLR will give me a some old mans off road experience.

Thanks Again

Sounds like the perfect bike... and they are so cheap for the amount of fun they give you.

Let me know when you get it, maybe we'll have time for a ride or two before winter.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    I prefer not to head down unknown trails alone.

That's the best way to discover what the KLR will actually do...
    Sure, it's an underpowered pig, but you'll be surprised what it will get up and over when you're all alone, it's getting dark and there is no other choice

Tony's right, though...
    TONS of fun for the money. I bought mine for next to nothing, beat the snot out of it and sold it for what it cost me...

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Yeah, just after I got the bike I went down a trail alone... and unfortunately had to come back up when it dead ended.

Fortunately, the KLR handled it just fine.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Advice ZRX to a KLR

I don't think I would go on "trails" with my V strom 1000 but I have been on some dirt roads that were quite rocky and bumpy slow speed is the key, I have gone through a few deepish puddles with it. I feel more comfy "exploring" on my drz 400 but its lacking power for the street. I can forsee a klr in my future to bridge the gap between the v strom and drz.
    Although I did find that breaking the rear end free on the v strom on a twistie dirt road is pretty fun to play around with.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Advice ZRX to a KLR

I love to flat track style my KLR on my daily 4 miles of dirt. It's fun, starts every time, is cheap and works well. Someone find my post about it from a couple months ago. It sums the bike up well.

Trails? Done it. No need to prove anything like that to myself every again. I'll be going up a tooth in the front to drop the RPM's a bit on my daily 20 mile commute.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Trails? Done it. No need to prove anything like that to myself every again.
    Thank you.

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Hellava good rider. He rides that big heavy 9 fiddy like it's a one two five.

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Interesting...
    I ride an XT225 Yami on the street (took it out with Tony once on the trails this past summer and it does fine). I like it for what it is - a step or two up from a scooter with big wheels. Also gets like 58mpg in the city and about 75mpg in the burbs. Get outside of the city, though, and you need more h.p. And do NOT take something like that on the highway. I was the most scared shitless I have ever been at full speed (70mph) on the slab with cars on my ass and the bike drifting around the lane.

The one thing that is indispensable is the weight - 240lb. dry. You can't beat that for popping over curbs and generally wreaking havoc in the city, although I do wish Yami would put their 450 motor in one of these dual sports. My dream bike is the Aprilia 4.5 in dirt trim (or SM, I'm not picky) that could be converted to dirt or street with a change of wheels.

Tony, how late do you ride into the season?

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Quote Originally Posted by sanfelice View Post
    240lb. dry. You can't beat that for popping over curbs and generally wreaking havoc in the city
    Sure you can...
    This in street trim should weigh in at about 240

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Quote Originally Posted by sanfelice View Post
    Interesting...

Tony, how late do you ride into the season?

I'll ride the KLR until pretty late... but mostly as a street bike. Just picked up heated gloves so that is a huge help.

For the full on dirt bike, I go until snow or the temps get too low. I just rode the Pittsfield forest this week. Trying to go again next week.

On a side note... actually back on topic... I took the KLR for it's first highway spin last night. Definitely different than a regular road bike, but I sat comfortably at an indicated 75 to 80 ... which is like 70.

When the traffic was going faster, I just sat in the right lane and enjoyed my tunes. Definitely not something I would want to take cross country if speed was an issue, but if I could do all sub-60mph roads, it would be very comfortable and fun.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Tony, did you ever get around to getting any of those NETRA route sheets? If so, have you used them and how are they?

Oh, and Clive, KEEP THE ZRX!

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Definitely not something I would want to take cross country if speed was an issue, but if I could do all sub-60mph roads, it would be very comfortable and fun.
    That seems to be the consensus...
    I ended up selling the KLR on eBay to a guy from Minneapolis... I picked him up at Logan and he rode it home. He called me when he got there and was all like "yeah, I wandered through Canada for a while... bike ran pretty well, etc"
    They're nothing if not reliable.

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Yeah, I bought pretty much all of them.

The one I tried was useless... all developments now.

Now that I have the KLR though, I might try and find them again. A riding buddy with GPS would be a big help.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Yeah, I bought pretty much all of them.

The one I tried was useless... all developments now.

Now that I have the KLR though, I might try and find them again. A riding buddy with GPS would be a big help.

No need for GPS. I found these Rubel Bikemaps Regional Bicycle Maps & Recreation Maps to work well for exploring via KLR. There're plenty of "roads" around our area that can be a challenge to the KLR. A GPS receiver I use primarily for reviewing where I've been, since my memory doesn't seem to record as well these days.

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Cool... I will check those out. Thanks,

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Advice ZRX to a KLR

Tony, the Cow on the Roof usually has some in stock, and I've seen them at Barnes & Noble. We're planning to get out Sunday for some casual stuff. You know where to find us.

Last edited by ChR1s; 12-04-08 at 08:48 AM.

Clive

Advice ZRX to a KLR

I so want to keep the ZRX but three bikes are a no go. I rode a 100cc Yamaha on the free way every day in South Africa. The speed limit was 120 KPh (72 Miles an Hour) Sit in the middle of the lane like own it and pray like the Pope.

Have you seen the ride from TN to seatle on dirt roads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast